DragoneAddict

The Inheritance Series

;A; The fourth book comes out November 8th and is entitled Inheritance.

I only know this because I receive regular updates from Borders.com, lawl.

Link (borders.com)

Edited by Infinis

I liked the Eragon books, they were so-so. I enjoyed them more when I was younger, as they were pretty simple, yet still had enough to keep my interest.

I haven't read one of those books in years, the author took way too long to make the last book and I just lost interest. Although I will probably get the last one just to finish the story as I do remember bits and pieces from the first 3.

I enjoyed Harry Potter much more than Eragon as they were great books. But I couldn't really get into LOTR. I tried reading it when I was much younger and it just couldn't keep my attention. I think I got halfway through the first book and said "WTF is going on!? I give up!"

If I manage to find them in my vast book collection, I would like to try to read them again, as I'm sure I will enjoy them much more now and will be able to keep up with them.

I like the Inheritance series for the story. What drew me to the series in the first place "Ohey there's a cool dragon on the cover 8D MUST READ /buys"

If I really like a book I tend to ignore grammatical flaws and such because I usually end up liking things for the story. As long as the story can keep my attention it's fine, errors or not.

Though Paolini does tend to go off on side trips more often than he should and has a tendency to go into too much description. :U That's what I don't like about them...I think I skipped a good portion of Brisingr because I was getting bored with all the description.

Edited by Infinis

I liked the first book a lot. The story was interesting, the characters alright. It was a fantasy/adventure story and I have a massive interest for those kinds of books.

The second book was okay-ish. I still enjoyed it and I have it on my bookcase.

The third. Ah. It's nice for taking up my time to re-read a much-loved series. The description was severe over-kill though. I do it when I write. Lots of people do. But I get that harsh critiquing that I need. I accept it. Cut and improve. Paolini hasn't.

The books are so great! I really really love them, they are fantastic. Now waiting till book 4 is released.

PS: The hero must have a girl. Eragon must have a girl.

I love the series. biggrin.gif

Although some parts of the book drag on.

Paolini's style of writing simply annoys me. Might be because I have read far better fantasy books (such as LotR, Harry Potter, Twilight, Temeraire etc).

The story isn't that bad, I know, that's my opinion too. I like the story, but the characters are way too flat. And, as Nighthowler says:

Another issue I find in Paolini's books is the lack of feelings, and that kind of goes hand on hand with the overdose of descriptions. He can craft a nice imagery to the point of boring the reader out, but he can't express any feeling in his books. I know Eragon likes Arya because HE said it, but I can't "feel" it. I can't feel anything, the books are completely devoid of any sentiment.

That's pretty much it.

It's a good read, but so obviously based off others. You'll find bits and pieces that are reminiscent of Star Wars and Tolkien's works. All the loose ends and ominous hints are really annoying though.

I love the series but likea lot series there comes to a time when to stop dragging it on. Lol the time is now with it...I just hope i am not disappointed when the next book comes out

Raaaah, I am so impatient for the fourth book! He needs to get it out here already! I don't care if he has to split up another book, I just want MOAR. More money on his part anyhow. xd.png

I own the three books so far, love them. :3 I'll have to go back and reread when talk of the fourth one's release finally comes along~

so I read all three and I must say it is quite a refreshing experience being the fantasy fan I am it was awesome here and to read the story of a humble farm boy to become a dragon rider is great. I love the fact that Sapphira and him are connected mentally and they have great convos and the vivid distributions help. I especially love the plot twists cause with out them the story isn't the same. I actually really want to see them turned into movies [they tried once and failed] just to see how it would look in real life

Who does everyone think the green dragon rider will be?

I think Roran or Arya are the most likely people.

Personally, I really want it to be Arya because I want a FEMALE dragon rider for once. Plus, it would give Arya and Eragon a chance to be together as well as give Saphira another dragon to mate with.

Who does everyone think the green dragon rider will be?

I think Roran or Arya are the most likely people.

Personally, I really want it to be Arya because I want a FEMALE dragon rider for once. Plus, it would give Arya and Eragon a chance to be together as well as give Saphira another dragon to mate with.

Personally I hope it isn't Arya, it is so predictable that it would be boring. Having a female dragonrider is all well and good, but I hope that he can pull something more interesting than that, he certainly has had enough time to think on it.

I am hoping that with taking this long, and him aging considerably, that the fourth book will be an improvement and maybe possibly redeem the series(though that isn't likely).

Edited by Nectaris

Personally I hope it isn't Arya, it is so predictable that it would be boring.  Having a female dragonrider is all well and good, but I hope that he can pull something more interesting than that, he certainly has had enough time to think on it.

I am hoping that with taking this long, and him aging considerably, that the fourth book will be an improvement and maybe possibly redeem the series(though that isn't likely).

yeah but who else could it possibly be? a brand new character we've never heard of?

there's a multitude of advantages of choosing arya. she already knows magic. if the dragon egg chooses someone who isn't an elf, they'll likely have to be trained in magic. how are you going to train up a new dragon rider in such a short space of time?

Edited by Arwen17

yeah but who else could it possibly be? a brand new character we've never heard of?

there's a multitude of advantages of choosing arya. she already knows magic. if the dragon egg chooses someone who isn't an elf, they'll likely have to be trained in magic. how are you going to train up a new dragon rider in such a short space of time?

Which is precisely what makes the whole thought of it so boring.

There simply isn't anyone else it COULD be.

Unless Angela suddenly picks up and becomes the green dragon rider; she knows magic. It's quite unlikely, but it gives me some hope.

What amuses me about this is that the green dragon rider is likely to become Eragon's "mate".

Arya is the obvious, boring, Elven Mary Sue choice, but just imagine if Paolini did a sudden 360 on us and made the creepy old witch-lady Angela?

Hilarity would SO ensue.

xd.png

Another option is a portal.

A portal from middle earth could suddenly pop up and Galadriel could come out and become the Green Rider.

Why not?

He's already stolen a lot from LOTR, why not one more measly elf queen?

It would be unexpected.

Edited by Pink

Which is precisely what makes the whole thought of it so boring.

There simply isn't anyone else it COULD be.

^This. When you set things up so obviously at book one, it gets boring if it actually turns out that way. Now if it were something that was inferred subtly, that you only catch after reading the first book again after finishing the series, that is different.

With how long he has taken to write this one, my expectations are going to be high, though I suspect he will disappoint.

Another option is a portal.

... I swore to myself I wouldn't post on this thread (my opinion of Eragon is on par with my opinion of Twilight. We shall leave it at that), but when I read that, my first reaction was 'what, then Chell and/or Wheatley pop out and claim the egg'?

Though the Middle Earth thing is great, too x3

i think a female, probably Arya, will be the next dragon rider. i think eragon seen it in a vision or something in the 3 book.

The series is good. It has good details, and I like the action it it. I started it a week or two ago. I'm on the second book, Eldest. So I must not read these comments that will spoil things. O_O

Apparently the fourth came out today.

I might, just might, try to get it from my library to see how this whole mess wraps up, because I frankly am at a loss of what's to be included in that humongous brick aside from more dribble and the final battle (which will be as epic as watching paint dry considering his slow, overly descriptive writing).

Any opinions so far? Any of you have it already?

Edited for a tiny mistake.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

I just realised I've COMPLETELY forgotten what happened in Brisingar- apart from it was very dull, Oromis died pathetically, a Shade died pathetically, there was some killing, a vague feeling that Eragon was a jerk and the brief appearance of some very sweet dwarf children.

I mean, dwarf kids! How tiny! Like... Like... Dolls! *retreats to spazz out in private*

EDIT: LOOK! I'M LIKE SMEYER- I WROTE THE SAME THING AS I DID ON THE LAST PAGE BUT IN DIFFERENT WORDS, AND HOPED YOU DIDN'T REALISE! *facedesk*

Edited by Ruins

I recall quiet a few things about Brisingr.

I recall them to be particularly boring. I have studied Political Science as a proffessional career. I have read Beevor, and Stanley Paine to name a few, aside from the classics like Rousseau and Plato's Politeia, and quiet frankly, none of them have managed to make me yawn and get distracted so much as Paolini did in 200 pages of dwarven politics.

Took me a month to finnish the book. For someone who can read books in a couple of days, a week at most if I'm busy, that is extraordinary. I wasn't really that busy. I was simply not interested at all in the book, and had to force myself into reading it, because I hate leaving sagas unfinnished.

I recall quiet a few things about Brisingr.

I recall them to be particularly boring. I have studied Political Science as a proffessional career. I have read Beevor, and Stanley Paine to name a few, aside from the classics like Rousseau and Plato's Politeia, and quiet frankly, none of them have managed to make me yawn and get distracted so much as Paolini did in 200 pages of dwarven politics.

Took me a month to finnish the book. For someone who can read books in a couple of days, a week at most if I'm busy, that is extraordinary. I wasn't really that busy. I was simply not interested at all in the book, and had to force myself into reading it, because I hate leaving sagas unfinnished.

I'm reading Rousseau's Social Contract in my Influential Books class. I love it so far, although I disagree with him on almost everything. He's much more entertaining and pleasant to read than Samuel Rutherford and Jonathan Edwards, although I enjoyed Bradford's Of Plymouth Plantation as well tongue.gif The Communist Manifesto was also one of my favorites we've read in that class.

Back on topic. Me and The Inheritance Cycle have a love-hate relationship. I love them because they entertain me, and they were really some of the first books I got into heavily. They will always hold a special place in my heart. I hate them because they are so friggin AWFUL as far as actual writing and originality goes.

that said, I'm currently waiting for my copy of Inheritance to show up at my door. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Please, do tell. biggrin.gif

I still have Brent Week's second book from the Dark Angel saga, and books 9 to 14 from Jim Butcher's Dresden Files to read before I even attempt to get into that thing.

Found a synopses.

Called it.

I'm going to continue reading Lovecraft now and wait for the sporks to roll in.