DragoneAddict

The Inheritance Series

Did anyone else absolutely hate Eragon in the chapter "Mercy, Dragon Rider"?

My friend and I both thought that chapter was awesome, but it made us hate him.

*raises hand* I did.

Also, relevant link is relevant.

Yes! He was so wrong for killing the Ra'zac!

I haven't read the whole thing, but it's awesome. <3

When Eragon went up against the Ra'zac and killed them as well as the Lethrblaka, I didn't really hate Eragon for it. Call me a bad person or judge me if you like but his Uncle, one of his last family members, was killed by the Ra'zac as well as Brom and Katrina captured. If you think about it, wouldn't you do the same, sure I would have wanted to find out what the Ra'zac meant by the name that Galbatorix is looking for, I mean I would have agreed, those things scare people into cutting off their limbs! Anyway, if that last Ra'zac was left alive, it would turn into a Lethrblaka and become more deadly. From what I have read on some sites, people think Shrukien will break away from Galbatorix and would have to ride a Lethrblaka, but if the Lethrblaka are dead and shrukien does leave Galbatorix, that gives him more of a weakness.

Oh, and what I said in the first post about the twinge in the lower belly part of Eragons payment, I knew it had something to do with it, I was just giving an example.

I didn't hate him for killing the Ra'zac. I was just sad.

I only really hated him in "Mercy, Dragon Rider".

What happened then?

Don't worry, I have read it. biggrin.gif

I didn't hate him for killing the Ra'zac. I was just sad.

I only really hated him in "Mercy, Dragon Rider".

Oh, with the soldiers that he killed? but he wouldn't kill Sloan? oh I get why you might hate him. I didn't hate him in that chapter, it makes sense to me. But, I do see how you would hate him. I understand why readers would hate him and why Eragon chose to do that in that chapter. I'm not one to judge based on decisions in the books...but thats just me.

So Leik, theres now a Book 5 he's working on. He said that there was too much story to fit in Book 4 so he decided to make a book 5. Since he has confirmed that theres a Book 5, i think he is almost done with book 4, hope it gets released soon! biggrin.gif i've been waiting since 8th grade, im a junior in high school now. :|

Source: http://www.shurtugal.com/

There's a book 5??

I think Eragon is going kind of insane. In book 3

Spoiler

it seems like eventually he'll go insane and want tons of power. He's going off without the guards and setting his sword on fire (And giving away a secret he could have used to his advantage later). Maybe that's why he'll have to leave Alagaesia. They'll kick him out because he wants to take Galbatorix's place.

/spoiler

There's a book 5??

I think Eragon is going kind of insane. In book 3

Spoiler

it seems like eventually he'll go insane and want tons of power. He's going off without the guards and setting his sword on fire (And giving away a secret he could have used to his advantage later). Maybe that's why he'll have to leave Alagaesia. They'll kick him out because he wants to take Galbatorix's place.

/spoiler

Yes, theres a book 5.

haha i can kinda see that, but i dont think Saphira would let him, she would problably slap him on the face with her tail to try and get him back to reality. xd.pngD

There is a WHAT?

COME ON! There wasn't enough story in book 3 TO FIT in a single book. I mean, 600 pages could have been easily ripped off without any problem.

I think even HE doesn't really know where the story is going. I am quiet sure he's afraid that if he kills the golden egg hen, his next attempt at a book will not be as successful and thus he'll loose his fortune.

He's acting like a bad fanfiction writer, throwing in more and more fillers, side quests, and so on, simply to enlarge the story all he can. That without mentioning the ENDLESS pages of pointless fillers, and some of the most unrealistic, stupid reactions I've ever read in literature in a long, long time. For example, the time when Arya and Eragon detect the soldiers coming from a kilometer away, A KILOMETER! They are both powerful mages. How hard would it have been to become invisible and flee? But no, they had to engage in battle and kill them off!

Smart move, Eragon.

Or how about those 22 pages of sword forging. Really? I LOVE horses, and in my recently finished, now being edited, novel, there IS a horse riding class, which occupies 2 or 3 pages the most. Why? Because I'm pretty sure even the most hardcore horse fans that might read my book don't give a s... about a descrition of a real horse riding class. Not to mention those who couldn't care less, just don't care.

I like swords, I'm just not interested in sword forging. Why do I have to swallow 22 pages of extremely over detailed sword forging, along with some of the most Purple Prose, sappiest descriptions I've ever read? Like how the light glimmered on Saphira's scales, and the flames of the bla, bla, bla.

FILLERS!

Dwarf politics? Interesting, but... then again, I also have loads of politics in my books (no kidding, I AM a political scientist!), the main theme IS politics, and yet I don't spend 200 pages of court relationships. Why should I overdose my readers with something I can explain in 20 or 30 pages at the most? Do I want to bore them to sleep?

A fifth book? There just isn't enough plot left to fill a FOURTH book, and there he goes again, a book full of fillers simply to suck your money? And he considers himself what? A writer to the level of Tolkien?

He'd be lucky to reach Meyer's level, and that's not saying much.

Paolini needs, and I mean desperately needs, to get over Eragon and step into something new and different. He needs to open his eyes, read some real critics, and learn how to write, instead of suffocating his one and only work.

Most successful writers his age (he's 28-29) had alredy completed various books, had evolved, had became deeper, better writers. What I read in Paolini's one and only saga as it progresses, is not a positive evolution. I don't see anything deep or engaging.

The whole "oh but life is so important, the creatures, bla, bla, bla", BS! The thoughts of a 15 year old.

The whole Dwarf politics? Not bad, but not propperly executed, and not overwhelmingly original either.

The war, the rebellion, etc, very poorly executed. Very, very poorly. Anyone with half an interest in any sort of war, be it the Great War, IIWW, or simply ancient battles like Peloponnesso, Tordesillas, etc, can easily see he's not doing it right. The Vardens have left their refugee in the mountains, they are vulnerable now in Sudra. Galbatoryx, if he's as evil as he's portrayed (I still bear my doubts), would step into Sudra, conquer the last bastion, and squash the threat once and for all.

The elves in their magical forest of magic and faeries? Burn it down.

Cut down any form of getting food, and covering their basic needs. Poison the water, anything!

But Galbatoryx is doing neither, because Paolini hasn't got a clue!

To plan the wars in my books, I contacted several scientists specialized in world wars history. The first thing they told me was; "Show me the map". And the second, "Portray the relations between the different countries." and the third, "Which are the regimes and why?". and finally "size and composition of the army, and experience"

I spent months planning out the war with this scientist. Months.

And I'm talking about a 500 page book.

Paolini has had 3 books to resolve this satisfactorily, but he's not done it not because he has too much to tell, but because he hasn't got anything more to tell. He doesn't know where his story is going, and I really believe he is afraid of getting this to an end because, when this is over, what will he write?

Yeah, everything has a true name, and if you know the true name that's how you control it.

That sounds like such a Ursula LeGuin rip-off. :< /Earthsea books, anyone?

Yes, theres a book 5.

I just checked Wikipedia, there aren't even news on when the 4th book will be released/what will it be called.

Anyway, I've read the first two books. They didn't seem that bad while I was reading them but are very meh in hindsight. Moving on~

Edited by lightbird

xd.png k I gotta admit, I do like the books... and basically can't leave the rp about them alone (don't judge... it's a habit) but if Book 5 turns out to be like book 3 with the annoying amounts of stuff I forgot about after I read it (like the sword forging and other fillers that only really needed 2 pages at most..) I think I might die. Or my eyes will along with my brain while I somehow live...

Book 4 seems like an end to me even though I wouldn't mind having a book 5 if he needs it, not 'oh, we have to split them up- it's too long!' like book 3. Take out the extra fillers and it won't be!!! Right?

I love the books but this endless annoyance is getting to me... (the fillers) so yeah, that summarized this post.

Realy? I love the sword forging part. It is the fillers and details that realy allow you to be able to picture the scene. If you have ever read the earths children books you can see how powerfull a good description can be. It speands five pages describing the grasslands and it is done beautifuly. I would rather have lots of pages for something that important. It's better then " and then eragon forged a nice sword he named brisinger and it was flamy."

My opinion about the vault of souls (although I have never told anyone this and thought of it myself) is that it is the plase where all the dragons heart of hearts are. I mean, the soul of the dragons is in the heart of hearts and it realy makes sence.

Edited by Salamance

I liked the sword forging part. Was it really 22 pages long? It didn't seem like it...

That's what I've been thinking too. I think that's how Eragon is going to defeat Galbatorix, because there's probably more Elundari there that Galbatorix has.

So Leik, theres now a Book 5 he's working on. He said that there was too much story to fit in Book 4 so he decided to make a book 5. Since he has confirmed that theres a Book 5, i think he is almost done with book 4, hope it gets released soon! biggrin.gif i've been waiting since 8th grade, im a junior in high school now. :|

Source: http://www.shurtugal.com/

Really? I was hoping it would finish before it became too dragged out...

Tolkien does the right amount of description, and even he, at some points, overdoes it. There is a difference between description and fillers. As a reader, I have my fair amount of imagination, I do not need 22 pages of decription to be able to picture the scene.

In my latest book, I do not stop to describe every tiny bitsy detail because then, instead of 500 pages long, it would be 1500. When I stop to describe the main character's mare, I spend a paragraph or two. Do I really need to stop and speak about how elastic her gallop was, and how the sun glimmered over her glossy patched coat? No, I do not, I am confident my readers will be able to picture the mare with a few sentences. And like me, more reputable, famous fantasy writers, who are able to craft amazing works of art, create an imagery beyond your imagination, without needing to stop and describe every tiny little thing they do. For example, Terry Pratchet. The story moves along smoothly, and I don't have any issue picturing Ank Morpork, for example.

Describing everything does not help picturing the scene. It brings the story to a halt and makes reading tedious and boring, to the point you actually stop caring about what's going on. I found myself many times thinking about something else because the descriptions got too long and tedious. 22 pages of sword forging is not something I enjoy, really, nor do I need to know the sounds of the military camp outside. I already know they are in a military camp, and I can picture it without the author's help.

Another issue I find in Paolini's books is the lack of feelings, and that kind of goes hand on hand with the overdose of descriptions. He can craft a nice imagery to the point of boring the reader out, but he can't express any feeling in his books. I know Eragon likes Arya because HE said it, but I can't "feel" it. I can't feel anything, the books are completely devoid of any sentiment.

Yes, I've read Earth Children, up to book three. Book four was so boring, with so many descriptions, I simply threw it aside, so I find exactly the same issue. The first book was very nice, the second and third were mediocre, and the last ones were just bad, to the level of Eragon. Too many descriptions, too many fillers, and a HUGE Mary Sue for a protagonist.

I just read Brisingr. It was dissapointing. I had to wait 2 freakin years for a slovene version and I just expected better. -.-

I do find that book 3 was a tad too long and that there are way too many loose ends, but I don't find it hard to get through like most other readers. I manage to read most books I get in a span of one to three days. I spent 2 days on book 7 of the HP series. When I got Brisingr after my sister read it, I finished it in 4 or 5 days because of the great detail that Paolini portrays in his books. I am one for detail, so I enjoy all the detail, art, and soul Paolini puts into these books. My only problem is the loose ends for each every book. There are still some loose ends from Eragon that have yet to be explained! Like the 12 or 13 words Brom whispers to Eragon and tells them their meaning, yet it hasn't been explained or brought up since! Other than taking forever to come out and too many loose ends I have no problem with what 'fillers' or 'too many details' Paolini has put in these books. As I said before, I am a person who sees in great detail, therefore, to keep my attention as Paolini has these last years, you need great detail...

As a child, I loved this series and worshipped it with all of my heart. It was second only to Harry Potter, another absolute favorite of mine.

But then, I watched Star Wars, and lost all respect for the series, as well as having my literature tastes develop...so I began to read even bigger and better books than Eragon...

And then the series went down the drain for me in Brisingr.

So basically, as I kept reading different books, and I noticed the many flaws in Eragon's writing. Cliche. Too much filler. Purple prose. The utter similarities in the plot to Star Wars (I mean, I don't really like Star Wars, I just don't like the fact that Paolini practically copied it.), and the utter similarities in the Ancient Language to Lynn Flewelling's masterpiece of Aurenen language (From the Nightrunners series).

So, basically, the false childhood image I had crumbled and now I'm left with a not-so-good mediocre series.

I'm just wondering, all of you guys that love the Inheritance Saga so much, what other books have you read, and which movies have you seen?

Even, which videogames have you played?

Edited by DragonNighthowler

No offe-nse meant, but have you seen a... trend in the posts that claim to love Eragon, as compared to the ones who critique it?

Just saying...

Anyhoo. I used to like it but the more I read it, the more I go 'bleh'. Too much happens in a short time, then nothing for a while, then loads, ad nausem; I've forgotten half of what happened in the third book, there was so much.

On the other hand, the dwarf kids were cuuuuute. wub.gif

I'm still a fan of the series, no matter how many flaws I find. And for the record, I have enjoyed Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings (both books and movies).

Never really liked it, but I guess that's because I had already read far better fantasy books, and I couldn't help but see how amateurish this work was. However, I hate leaving series unfinnished so I kept reading it.

Anyways, amazingly enough, the author seems to be getting worse as his skills progress. He really needs to get some harsh criticism if he is to improve.

I know what he's doing. I've been there, and some of my friends told me; "WTF are you doing here? I don't need all this descriptions, and stop sidetracking the story. FOCUS!"

And I listened, and I read more, and I analyzed other works, and I became a critic. Then I applied this knowledge to my writing.

I have thousands of pages of practice. Not stories, simply practice works. Am I failing in transmitting feelings? Then I work on it.

Do I fail with descriptions? I work on it.

Then, when I feel I can handle it, I write.

Yep, Ruins, I see the trend.

Edited by DragonNighthowler