PACMANnot

Quirky/Odd Habits

Oh man.

I really hate it when people are like that. It's just... Ignorance, really.

I'd like to say right here....

If someone is in such denial about what something really is, I highly doubt that it's random forum threads that is making them that way. Seriously.

If someone truly, honestly, really doesn't know what OCD is and thinks that way... Well, one post here giving a quick explanation or even a link to an article or something would have worked, now, wouldn't it? Not this little censorkip.gif-fest that this seems to be turning in to.

(Or even the actual OCD thread I mentioned before.)

Will this thread have a major impact on most people's view about mental illness? Probably not. Is it indicative of a pattern of downplaying mental illness that exists on a broader societal level? I think that it is. But, either way, what I don't understand is - why use the term at all? The only point brought up for using it was that it was communication short hand. Maybe I'm wrong and it's not a problem at all. But maybe I'm not and it's actually a drop of water that's helping to form a lake. Is the ten extra seconds it would take to pick a different term really that much of a hardship?

And, for me, the problem here isn't exactly that people don't understand OCD as much as it is that people also don't seem to understand that problems that co-opting there terms can cause. I'm not saying this to berate the OP or anyone else in the thread, but because I think that mental illness is a very murky area in many ways and I think that sometimes it can be difficult to see where things are causing an impact on people who deal with it.

Guys, guys, chill. I'm sure the OP was slightly uneducated on the subject and what it really is. We don't need to turn this into a little first-fight, and don't freak out on me for saying it might have turned into that. All we need to do is politley explain the difference between what OCD is and what they really meant.

So let's just simmer down a bit and get back to what this topic is supposed to be about; Things that annoy you and little things that just bug you until you simply can't deal with it.

Then make a thread for it, obviously our uncultured and uneducated minds all over this board will see this thread and think "oh so that's what OCD is, I was totally thinking something completely different" so we'll need every explanation available followed by various links to every study known to man on it. And be sure to explain every single detail, someone might misunderstand something.

I know this forum doesn't only have the brightest people out there, but I'd think that most of these folks would know the difference between a 'compulsive habit' and OCD. Labeling something as another thing isn't gonna make someone as confused as you people may think it does. Putting a sticker that reads 'Door' on a toilet seat isn't going to make me want to go through it.

And if people on here really are as stupid as that, then, well, no idea what to say there.

I can understand working around/knowing/living with someone who has a disorder and being touchy about it. But seriously.

My mom has bipolar disorder, I get touchy whenever some little middle class preteen punk starts blabbing to everyone that they are bipolar like it's a fashion statement, but I still go around saying, like, "god I hate Texas, its weather is so damn bipolar."

I would imagine a thread called 'Do you have an OCD?' would suffice.

There is a huge difference between talking about the weather and saying you have a mental illness when you actually don't. If someone were to say (presuming that it actually made sense) 'the weather is OCD today', that wouldn't bother me. Quite simply one is making an observation of the weather. It is using the term 'Bi Polar' (or even OCD) as a metaphor. That is quite different from using the term OCD to describe a habit.

You spelled 'crapping' wrong, Solaflar3. Two P's.

Leads to another thing I do. I correct people. Parents, friends, teachers.

I'll correct them all if they say/spell something the wrong way.

Incorrect spelling gets on my nerves.

But I will never point out a typo to be rude. Ever, ever, ever.

I hate it when people say it's rude, too. I politely point out an error, and some people jump on me. "OH MY GAWD YOU ARE SO RUDE!!!!one"

If I wanted to be rude, I would have been. I could have been very, very rude, and very smug, too. :/

/rant

My science teacher called a red panda a baby fox. I pointed out what it actually was, and she went into a huge rant about how she would never embarass me. I didn't say anything rude, I just corrected her.

I don't have any, I just wanted to say that I'm tired of people using mental disorders to describe everyday emotions. I'm sure someone acting oddly is schizophrenic, and someone who's sad is depressed, too. Jebas, I can't wait for this trend to be over.

I don't even care that much about the disorder being misrepresented, I just hate this verbal trend.

YOU COULD EVEN SAY I'M OCD ABOUT IT HERP DERP DERP.

Edited by Ilera

I kind of do. It irritates me when certain things are out of order. Other than that, not much that I can remember to report...

I do not think I have OCD. I share AngelKitty's hatred of chewing noises, I'm a bit of a grammar nazi and I'm particular about the way I go about many things, but I function well enough in society.

I do sometimes joke with friends using a quip I heard somewhere: "I don't have OCD; I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order - like they should be, d--- it!"

Is the ten extra seconds it would take to pick a different term really that much of a hardship?

Someone (mod/OP) change the topic title to "Do you have a compulsory habit?" and problem solved?

Anyway, I do not have OCD and I don't have a clearly developed compulsory habits either.

I do, of course, put things away if I see them lying where they shouldn't and a larger stain can make me change my short-term plans as well as I occasionally try to (a futile attempt) order the folders in my computer or the things in m house... But I myself only consider it a healthy amount of subconscious will to hold one's living neat.

-It isn't something that'd ever keep me on spot if I have something more vital to do.

Edit: I also have a slight tendency to correct other people... But that's that.

Edited by Shienvien

I also have a compulsive habit to arrange my pencil crayons, markers, etc. by colour. I call it "Raimbolical Order" when I do it and it buggs me untill I do.

I liken this argument with the tendancy people have to say something along the lines of "GOD! You are so ADD today!" when someone is being hyper or distracted.

You have depression? Why don't you think happy thoughts. You're bipolar? Just calm down. Have OCD? Just stop washing your hands, you know they're clean.

Just finished raging at someone with that attitude biggrin.gif

someone who's sad is depressed, too.

"Depressed" is also a word, you know, not just a mental illness. ಠ_ಠ

de·pressed

–adjective

1.sad and gloomy; dejected; downcast.

2.pressed down, or situated lower than the general surface.

3.lowered in force, amount, etc.

4.undergoing economic hardship, esp. poverty and unemployment.

5.being or measured below the standard or norm.

6.Botany, Zoology . flattened down; greater in width than in height.

7.Psychiatry . suffering from depression.

And you know... Fine, whatever. Go ahead and campaign against some thread that probably would have died in a week anyway if it wasn't for all the bawww-ing.

Because really, look at it. Obviously it's just designed to alter everyone's perception of mental disorders everywhere.

Maybe you can even make a commercial a lot like this one for it.

Vexx, I hate to have to say this but the one doing the vast majority of 'extending' this thread has actualy been you. If you'd left it be the first time someone posted to say "Let's not make light of a serious medical condition here." then there'd have been a lot less argy-bargy.

I have obsessive tendancies myself, but they're the normal one associated with Aspergers, not actual OCD. I have to turn the cups in the cupboard up a certain way, and I can't stand food mixing on my plate for example (which is why I usualy avoid sauces).

Okay everyone, really, we get it, semantics explained. Thread is about annoying quirks/habits.

Well, I can't stand someone being behind me. I literrally cannot stand it, so I put my hood up a lot, so I don't have to hear/see them, sand it makes me feel safe.

Are you referring to me?

If so, no I am not having a hissy fit.

I deal with children and teens who have OCD.  It isn't just 'not liking', 'hating' or 'feeling bad'.  It's not being able to go to the toilet so you end up peeing or cr@ping yourself because you cannot move until you have finished your compulsion, and then STILL not being able to move to clean yourself up.  It's crying with the pain from your bleeding hands when you scrub them for the 500th time that day.  It's obsession over every little thing you have thought or done just in case you did or thought something that god might be displeased over and might punish you (that last one is a current case and is very traumatic and worrying).

OCD, like Aspergers, Depression and Self Harm has become a fashionable thing which is 'cool' to have.  That now devalues the real damage that can and does happen to people genuinely diagnosed with these disorders.

*clap clap*

I agree completely. I cannot believe people who would just trivialize serious conditions like these. "I'm so unique and random. I basically have *insert disability here*, lol feel sympathy for me because I'm so super individual and extraordinary with my thingy"

No.

It is not "cool" or "different," it's a horrible condition that ruins the quality of life of those who actually have it... Example: people who claim to be depressed and have awful lives when, actually, they're quite happy and well. Yes, my, I'm sorry your day happened to have went sucky, you're the only person in the world who feels pain. And now people who literally can't feel joy and just want to stop being alive are just a trend.

Saying you're "crazy" is right up there, too. "I did something slightly unusual today, HAHA I'M SO CRAZY AND INSANE! LOOK HOW SPECIAL AND AMAZING I AM." Hey, thanks for making fun out of people who actually suffer from insanity. Mental handicaps sound like jokes, now. Seriously.

user posted image

I'm sorry, I just had to get that out...

Uh, more on topic to the main discussion... I have a bit of a tic where I shake or flick my hands and fingers a lot. Sometimes I flick my fingers against objects I'm holding like cups (I'm basically flapping the backs of my fingers rapidly against it). I tend to do it subconsciously, or when I'm anxious. Another thing, when I see something I feel strongly about that's very disorganized, I enjoy, um, putting it in order. Like a lot.

I simply must have something in my hands, whether it is actually doing something productive or fiddling around with whatever is nearest. I often get blamed if something turns up missing because I will pick something up to fiddle with it and will put it someplace different and forget where it was.

Saying you're "crazy" is right up there, too. "I did something slightly unusual today, HAHA I'M SO CRAZY AND INSANE! LOOK HOW SPECIAL AND AMAZING I AM."

Hence my current member title. /sagely nod

So, quirky habits. I know that I used to have some obsessive habits (like having to step on differently coloured tiles in a specific order to reach the stairs, counting to a certain number before I would do something), but I got over those. The only thing I can think of nowadays would be going to wash my hands after picking up objects from the ground or socks... regardless of what part of said objects I would touch.

Well, I hate anyone standing or walking behind me. It doesn't matter whether I can see them or not, if I know they're behind me. I constantly check over my shoulder to keep an eye on them, as if I'm afraid they're going to attack or steal from me. My parents keep getting on my case about that, and dragging me in front of them, which only makes it worse. I also sometimes get a feeling that someone's behind me even if they aren't, and once again, I keep checking to make sure no one's behind me.

My quirky habits/pet peeves.

#1: Twirl a pen, then click it two times, repeat until tired of doing it or insane.

#2: Grammar/Spelling. If I can spell it right, then you should be able to spell it right.

#3: People using 'ain't', or using '*insert name here* and me' instead of '*insert name here* and I'.

Things like that.

#3: People using 'ain't', or using '*insert name here* and me' instead of '*insert name here* and I'.

Things like that.

I love "ain't". I know it's not proper, but I'm from the South and it's like, ingrained. xd.png I speak it more than I type it, but I'll still type it pretty frequently.

I love "ain't". I know it's not proper, but I'm from the South and it's like, ingrained. xd.png I speak it more than I type it, but I'll still type it pretty frequently.

It's like my dad says: "Ain't ain't a word and I ain't gonna use it!".

Quirky habits...

Spinning my cell phone on my hand constantly. It's not exactly spinning, but whatever...

I tend to say thank you when I'm supposed to say you're welcome lol.

Cracking my knuckles to the EXTREME. I can crack one finger 6 different ways. Several ways also crack my elbow, and wrist at the same time. Cracking my back can sound like a gunshot if I want it to.

If I play Uncharted 2 it is a requirement that I complete at least one deathmatch, whether or not I'm intending to play one. I'm focusing on elimination now, but I HAVE to play deathmatch at least once.

Now I've gotten too far out there. tongue.gif

The only one I have, I hope, is that if there is something separated, and it's colored, I just HAVE to arange it by color, if not, it nags me all day until I forget about it. Right now I am actually organizing my colored pencils/pens/markers by color, because I am compelled to. It doesn't really affect my life in anyway, it's just the need to do it, and if I couldn't do it then I would do it later.

1:07 to 1:16