darkangel787

Plot Holes and Writing Flaws

Hmm... I could have sworn the mirror broke at the beginning of 7, when he put stuff in his trunk to leave Privet Drive, and heard it crunch... or maybe he broke it further... :/

All in all... Harry seems to be his dumbest in the 5th book... Especially when Ginny points out that he could have talked to her about Voldy getting into his head since the same thing happened in Book 2 to her... he was definitely carrying the idiot ball that year...

-K-

He found a chunk of it, and the pulverized dust that was left of it at the beginning of the seventh.

He was also a serious angstmonster in the fifth book. :|

He found a chunk of it, and the pulverized dust that was left of it at the beginning of the seventh.

He was also a serious angstmonster in the fifth book. :|

Ah...

And the angst I can at least understand a bit... after all, he was instrumental in the revivial of Voldy, who was now out killing people for fun while the Ministry didn't see him at all, and having to worry about Voldy possessing him, and the fact that Arthur was attacked (which Harry originally presumed was because of his connection to the Weasleys), and then of course... Umbridge. So basically, the world was going to hell, the only agency that COULD do something sat on their asses (and as we know, crumbled in book 7... thus proving that Authority is Useless), and people were dying all because of you... and the evil guy could get into your mind and make you kill your friends... Sooo...

But of course, angst is like cancer to main characters, it spreads and slowly kills their characterization (and fan approval in most cases (at least I think Harry recovered a bit during the 6th book... maybe because the focus was shifted a bit onto Dumbledore...)).

-K-

In the first Series of the Warriors books...there is at least two or three times where the name is miswritten. Example: Fire and Ice~on the way to their first Gathering as warriors, Fireheart stops too look back at the ravine and gets a little behind, Graystripe calls back to get his attention, Fireheart tells Graystripe "I'm coming" and then it says that FirePAW bunches up his leg muscles to jump up the rest of the ravine

That sounds more like a typo than a plot-hole. Many books I read have the odd typo here and there.

Again we don't KNOW it is a mistake. She could have done it on purpose. There is a POSSIBILITY it is a mistake, not a GUARANTEE.

It is a mistake - absolutely nothing else in her writing made it seem like Earth geography was any different in her world.

D'oh right. I forogt about that part. Whoopsies.

Hm. Another one for HP-- once the world knows that Voldemort's back in the sixth book, why doesn't he like...summon dragons or something like that to take the place down? I mean, if his magic is so extensive, as ridiculous as this sounds... he could summon some creature to take down Hogwarts, or something? Maybe recruit the giants a little earlier-- as we know in book 7, they were able to get giants in...so why not then?

Partially due to exageration - Voldemort was made to sound ultra-powerful, because part of any fight or war is psychological. If you all believe he's invincible, and thus far he seems invincible, then everyone will believe it. Most base example; no-one calls him by name for fear of...what? Summoning him? Yet Harry and Dumbledore always call him Voldemort - and nothing happens!

And of course Dumbledore is there.

And how could he muster such a force without anyone noticing? If Hogwarts was

attacked, how many magic-wielders would leap to it's defense? The entire Ministry and every mother and father, all the anti-Death Eaters, etc. Voldemort would get his snake-hind handed to him.

Edited by Kestra15

It is a mistake - absolutely nothing else in her writing made it seem like Earth geography was any different in her world.

... The problem was never that she gave Brazil a west coast, unless there is a quote mentioning the position of the island that I missed.

What she did was fail to look up the geography of the city in which she placed her characters.

user posted image

This is the city of Rio de Janeiro. According to the book, Bella and Edward land in the city, drive to the western edge to the marina, and then sail due east.

As you can see, the west side of the city is landlocked, and even if they had gone to the proper side of the city, one cannot sail due east from Rio. You will run into Neteroi.

She never gave brazil a west coast. So in fact giving it one wasn't a mistake because it never happened.

What really frustrates me in Harry Potter is how towards the end of DH

(SPOILER WARNINGS!!!)

Voldemort asks Narcissa to check if Harry is dead. Long story short, she lies for him and says that he isn't alive. However, isn't Voldemort supposed to be able to tell if someone is lying? Even if it does take some concentration for him, isn't Harry's death so important to him that it would be worth checking? THis could change the entire plot.

What really frustrates me in Harry Potter is how towards the end of DH

(SPOILER WARNINGS!!!)

Voldemort asks Narcissa to check if Harry is dead. Long story short, she lies for him and says that he isn't alive. However, isn't Voldemort supposed to be able to tell if someone is lying? Even if it does take some concentration for him, isn't Harry's death so important to him that it would be worth checking? THis could change the entire plot.

Voldy, in his own demented way, did check. He used crucio and threw harry around a bit. As harry played dead well voldy couldn't tell. As for the lies he was hasty. He heard harry was dead and was happy.

I know that we have tried to put it to rest, but i have to bring up the west cost of Brazil again. This isn't hating on twilight, this should be a note to all works of fantasy, proving that this is an error.

If i write a fantasy book, and write "Steve sat down and bit into an avacado, his favorite vegetable". I made a mistake. An avacado is a fruit. If my book is about people discovering they can summon centaurs by flipping a switch on the back of a television set, and I put that line in the story, I still made a mistake, because the genetic classification of an avacado has nothing to do with the story! If authors are allowed to change things randomly without reason, we have every right to assume space marines are fighting velociraptors in zero gravity in the next house over, simply because "it's fantasy".

Hopefully taking it out of Twilight and implying complete madness helped get my point across.

If authors are allowed to change things randomly without reason, we have every right to assume space marines are fighting velociraptors in zero gravity in the next house over, simply because "it's fantasy".

But you can...

Giving brazil a west coast wasn't a mistake because it never happened. She NEVER gave brazil a west coast. Hence no mistake.

Actually, vegetables are generally edible seeds or roots or stems or leaves or bulbs or tubers or nonsweet fruits. Vegetables don't have a 'genetic definition' the way frits do. Avacados are a nonsweet fruit, so they would count as a vegetable.

Anyway. Voldemort. He would also have been kinda shaken by whatever he saw when the Killing Curse semi-backfired. The Malfoys had been his lapdogs for so long, he wouldn't have suspected that they would betray him.

But you can...

Giving brazil a west coast wasn't a mistake because it never happened. She NEVER gave brazil a west coast. Hence no mistake.

But YOU, like the rest of us, believed SHE did, and yet YOU kept insisting that it was NOT a mistake. That she could do what her privates wanted.

Fine, she didn't do it. How does that suddenly change your previous argument?

Response; It doesn't. You were through and through deffending her right to give Brazil a west coast if she wished, because it's fantasy, and authors can do whatever they wish. The thing this people are trying to make you understand is that if it is not relevant to the story, IT'S A MISTAKE.

I don't care if she did or didn't do that. That does NOT change that fact.

Okay. I'm not sure people are understanding each other. CrazyWarGod, you're just saying that while it's still bad writing, and while it's still not good, that an author can include random things in a book and just say "it's fantasy," right? And I agree.

Okay. I'm not sure people are understanding each other. CrazyWarGod, you're just saying that while it's still bad writing, and while it's still not good, that an author can include random things in a book and just say "it's fantasy," right? And I agree.

YES! THANK YOU! Someone actually UNDERSTANDS me!

Now people, can we stop kicking the dead horse here? There are MILLIONS of OTHER books and plot holes. Do we REALLY need to continue with twilight?

Edited by crazywargod

YES! THANK YOU! Someone actually UNDERSTANDS me!

Now people, can we stop kicking the dead horse here? There are MILLIONS of OTHER books and plot holes. Do we REALLY need to continue with twilight?

And I still disagree, but.... pointless argument is pointless.

I disagree; if youer' using earth as a map, you can't take a random world and name it earth and have it have the exact same physical features except for brazil having a west coast and then labeling it "fantasy"...

But we should move on.

I've got a question...

How did Voldemort get his wand back?

Apparently it managed to survive the explosion that destroyed the Potters' house. But how did Voldy get it back? He had no body to take it with him...

I've got a question...

Apparently it managed to survive the explosion that destroyed the Potters' house. But how did Voldy get it back? He had no body to take it with him...

What book was this?

I've got a question...

I think Wormtail had retrieved it.

What book was this?

Fourth book. Voldemort clearly has his own wand back, because it was the wand that shared cores with Harry's, and Priori Incantatum caused his parents to appear.

Wormtail doesn't seem like he'd have the presence of mind to go look for Voldemort's wand before he fled the country. Unless he sent Wormtail to go get it after he'd found him?

Fourth book. Voldemort clearly has his own wand back, because it was the wand that shared cores with Harry's, and Priori Incantatum caused his parents to appear.

Wormtail doesn't seem like he'd have the presence of mind to go look for Voldemort's wand before he fled the country. Unless he sent Wormtail to go get it after he'd found him?

I meant what book did the house blow up.

If I remember correctly, Wormtail gave Voldemort his wand after Voldemort got his body. I don't think they went into detail about how the wand was retrieved, but I'd guess that Voldemort sent Wormtail to get the wand.

And Crazy, Voldemort destroyed the house when he killed Lily and James.

If I remember correctly, Wormtail gave Voldemort his wand after Voldemort got his body. I don't think they went into detail about how the wand was retrieved, but I'd guess that Voldemort sent Wormtail to get the wand.

And Crazy, Voldemort destroyed the house when he killed Lily and James.

Then how did harry get out when both his parents were dead?

Then how did harry get out when both his parents were dead?

I'm pretty sure that Hagrid found him.

Edited by satyr76

In the first book, Hagrid mentions that the house had been blown up. He picked Harry out of the rubble.

It just seems weird that Voldemort's wand would just be sitting there though... I mean, lesser things than being in the middle of an explosion have broken wands. And it seems like they'd have searched for some sign that Voldemort had been there, or what had happened...

In the first book, Hagrid mentions that the house had been blown up. He picked Harry out of the rubble.

It just seems weird that Voldemort's wand would just be sitting there though... I mean, lesser things than being in the middle of an explosion have broken wands. And it seems like they'd have searched for some sign that Voldemort had been there, or what had happened...

Yeah.... dry.gif Hmm Weird