Coelophysis

Gender and Gender Identity

Hilariously true. Everybody has the Lesbian and Gay bit down and Bisexual and Transgender are just sort of there. Like "oh... you mean I'm supporting them, too?" And let's not even get into LGBTQIA, LGBTIH, or just plain LGBT+ and how many people know of it/support it.

I don't have the L and G bit down because I live in a country that squeeze them both into an H. wacko.gif So this topic gets more confusing by every letter you add, guys.

On the topic of the FR guy, am I the only one reminded of that Stephen Colbert LGBT bacon and tomato bit? If you can't view tumblr or whatever:

"Clearly, the LGBT agenda is barreling forward at full speed. At this rate, I may even have to learn what the last two letters of LGBT mean! I want to say... bacon and tomato?"

Hilariously true. Everybody has the Lesbian and Gay bit down and Bisexual and Transgender are just sort of there. Like "oh... you mean I'm supporting them, too?" And let's not even get into LGBTQIA, LGBTIH, or just plain LGBT+ and how many people know of it/support it.

Except Stephen Colbert is rather cissexist and transmisogynistic, so while the joke has a point, many people did not find it funny and did not enjoy being compared to food items.

~

Also why my preferred acronym is GSM. It's short and inclusive.

After having a chance to sleep on it, I'm just going to give up. The whole issue will never make sense to me since I will never go through it. Sorry if I was a bother.

After having a chance to sleep on it, I'm just going to give up. The whole issue will never make sense to me since I will never go through it. Sorry if I was a bother.

It's not bothersome, it's just that if you have a question, you should ask it. Dancing around with endless "hypotheticals" just gets in the way of clarity and wastes time.

Which is why I must leave the topic alone, I can't speak on it outside hypotheticals because it has never really affected me personally.

Which is why I must leave the topic alone, I can't speak on it outside hypotheticals because it has never really affected me personally.

No, I'm referring to the word.

There's a big difference between "If someone wishes to be a girl, are they transgender?" and "Hypothetically, if a hypothetical person hypothetically wishes, hypothetically, to be a girl (hypothetically), would they hypothetically be considered transgender, even if it's only hypothetical?"

Edited by 7Deadly$ins

I said that was confusing in my last post, but fine.

If someone wishes to be a girl, are they transgender?

EDIT: I just feel that that doesn't give enough information. Even I have wished at one point to be a girl. And I am completely happy the way I am, moderately insane and all. And I feel that I can never understand this issue because of that fact. I have simply never gone through anything even moderately similar.

Edited by MasterWeavile898

^ I personally think it depends on how and why you want to be a girl. For example, when I was a child, I occasionally wished that I was a boy, because I didn't think I was pretty enough to be a girl, and I wanted to do more stereotypical boy things. Eventually I came to realise that it wasn't so much my sex or gender that I had a problem with, but of the unfair restrictions imposed on me because of them, and the realization that I could act how I want.

If someone genuinely feels uncomfortable in their body, though, and its more prolonged, I believe they could be considered transgendered.

(There's also the possibility that the person could be gender-fluid or have no set gender).

PS. Just is all just my understanding of it, so I may have incorrect information.

First: I understand that it is not just transgendered, but that was the subject path on the other thread.

And thank you, that's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

But two of the admins have apologized and said what he did was not cool and that they were gonna take action so I'm happy about that. :3

Further to this, for those interested, Thrage has now a) formally apologised and B) stepped down as a site administrator.

They note that he will return to some level of participation in the future - but purely as a programmer to maintain the features he created for the site. He's also made his email adress public incase anyone wants to talk to him further about the issue.

So, yeah, FR situation dealt with swiftly and effectively.

Edit: Bloody B) smiley. If I wanted that I'd use a Capital B, not a lower case one! *grrrrrrr*

Edited by TikindiDragon

I am physically female. However, I sometimes feel male and sometimes female. I also have MPD so that could be a reason, but sometimes its all me. Lucky for me all my friends and family are like, "As long as you are happy, and safe, do what you want. here, have some boy AND girl clothes. Lets save for a binder!" I am very greatful for that. My mom and Aunt who I am close to don't understand it but support it.

I have both female and male names people call me by. And to be honest My legal name has a male and female name in it so, I think my grandma had a part in naming me. She sort of suggested I be named after my uncle and cousin, and both names can be feminized. God bless her she was a quirky lady who just knew things.

I'm a dude but have been leaning towards agender/genderless as of recently

I still prefer he/him pronouns, just kind of juggling the idea

Taking this over here just in case. o3o

Is it? Oh jeez, my bad. What's the PC term nowadays?

Cross dresser is usually okay, but otherwise, whatever the person requests/whatever is appropriate in the situation. I think a lot of problem with the word is that it gets thrown at trans* individuals as an attempt to disenfranchise them. I believe it also has ableist roots in that it is sometimes used to imply someone has a mental illness for cross dressing.

I think transsexual is also an out-dated label but I'm not 100% sure

It's not. o.o It is meant to denote someone who has undergone physical transition for their gender. It may also be used sometimes for social transition? Transgender is someone who hasn't undergone physical transition. Trans* is an inclusive term.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Yeah, just googled it. Thanks for the heads-up! Calling someone what they're comfortable with is pretty much just common decency, I just didn't want to end up being insulting. v(9_6)v

Yeah I haven't heard anything of transsexual being an outdated/negative term either? ovo

my mom's starting to get a little more accepting of me being transgender. uwu; She started calling me by my preferred name and so has my sister. Dad, not so much, but eh.

Edited by Switch

What am I, from the '70s? Now I'm all confused. And I thought I saw it from a LGBT thing, too. =P Anybody know a reliable site with the definition to point me to?

Thanks for clearing things up Sock, since that's what I thought the terms were but. Also what about people who don't identify as a dude or a chick? I thought that was transgender too?? Asking you because you seem pretty well-informed.

Awesome to hear, Switch! =) About time your mom started accepting you for being you.

Edit: Aaah ok checked the one site you linked.

Edited by Zovesta

my mom's starting to get a little more accepting of me being transgender. uwu; She started calling me by my preferred name and so has my sister. Dad, not so much, but eh.

Yay! Hope your dad comes around. =(

Thanks for clearing things up Sock, since that's what I thought the terms were but. Also what about people who don't identify as a dude or a chick? I thought that was transgender too?? Asking you because you seem pretty well-informed.

Trans* is used as the generally inclusive term for anyone who doesn't identify as binary, but more specifically that could be agender, although that could also describe someone who identifies as genderqueer or genderfluid. genderfork.com is a pretty neat site that shows just how diverse gender can be. o3o Stop ninja'ing me by doing your own research. XD

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

In another minor point on the other discussion thread, someone mentioned that they heard that transsexuals change which gender they're attracted to when they transition (note that they said that this only applies to transsexuals who have gone through surgery and hormone therapy). Something about how they're attracted to same/opposite hormones, so when their hormones change, then who they're attracted to changes.

To me, this doesn't seem to make sense. I would think that who you're attracted to is who you're attracted to, and surgery and hormone therapy don't change anything other than the exterior. But I'm a cis person with no close trans friends, so I'm not exactly speaking from a place of experience. Is this true? What have other people heard? I mean, I'm sure it does happen occasionally, just because human variety is infinite, but is it common?

(Just a note, I'm in no way trying to criticize the person who made this statement, it's just something I had never heard of before, and I'm genuinely curious).

Trans* is used as the generally inclusive term for anyone who doesn't identify as binary, but more specifically that could be agender, although that could also describe someone who identifies as genderqueer or genderfluid. genderfork.com is a pretty neat site that shows just how diverse gender can be. o3o Stop ninja'ing me by doing your own research. xd.png

lol never =P Sorry about that, I get confused on these things and my first reaction is to ask, since googling can turn up mixed results. Bookmark'd!

hydrargyrum: I honestly know nothing about this topic, but a quick google turned this up: http://cnlester.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/q...al-orientation/ Hope someone who knows more about this can answer, because it seems interesting. Frankly, though, sexuality is fluid as all get out, and someone can go from straight to gay to pan to ace in their lifetime, etc.

I'm actually the person that mentioned that! I heard about it while watching a documentary on discovery channel (one of them at least, not sure if it was normal discover or discovery fit & health or another one) Which took a more in-depth look on trans* people, talking about things pertaining to society's view, medical explanations, personal interviews with trans* people in all stages of transitioning from one gender to the next, and orientations and all that good stuff.

Edited by Cecona

In another minor point on the other discussion thread, someone mentioned that they heard that transsexuals change which gender they're attracted to when they transition (note that they said that this only applies to transsexuals who have gone through surgery and hormone therapy). Something about how they're attracted to same/opposite hormones, so when their hormones change, then who they're attracted to changes.

To me, this doesn't seem to make sense. I would think that who you're attracted to is who you're attracted to, and surgery and hormone therapy don't change anything other than the exterior. But I'm a cis person with no close trans friends, so I'm not exactly speaking from a place of experience. Is this true? What have other people heard? I mean, I'm sure it does happen occasionally, just because human variety is infinite, but is it common?

(Just a note, I'm in no way trying to criticize the person who made this statement, it's just something I had never heard of before, and I'm genuinely curious).

I don't really understand exactly what they mean but I don't really think so? I mean, there are transsexual people that like men, women, both, neither... I don't think it really depends on it?

Do they mean a ftm transsexual man will like women and a mtf transsexual girl will like men?? i dont know haha

I personally like boys. ovo; but i haven't gone through hrt or anything.

EDIT: @Cecona: Ooh okay.

Also forgive me if im completely misunderstanding what this said because my brain is scrambled right now unu;

Edited by Switch

I don't really understand exactly what they mean but I don't really think so? I mean, there are transsexual people that like men, women, both, neither... I don't think it really depends on it?

Do they mean a ftm transsexual man will like women and a mtf transsexual girl will like men?? i dont know haha

I personally like boys. ovo; but i haven't gone through hrt or anything.

EDIT: @Cecona: Ooh okay.

Also forgive me if im completely misunderstanding what this said because my brain is scrambled right now unu;

Hehe, it's perfectly fine. Honestly I'm horrible at trying to describe things so if someone doesn't understand it could also be my fault. I really can't remember what they said about why/how it happens, but it does happen and they interviewed two post-op trans* people that had gone through this kind of change. If I did a search I could probably find the title of the documentary.

I think it's more something that *can* happen, once the hormones begin to effect your body. It certainly doesn't happen to all trans folk.

Of course it doesn't happen all the time, but it certainly is something interesting that makes you think about how the human mind and body work, you know?