Coelophysis

Sexual Orientation

*raises hand* I came out as a lesbian two years ago. For some reason I'm actually still a bit uncomfortable with the term (I don't know why at all...) but I'm getting used to it bit by bit. I think it's just a mental block that I put on myself years ago when I was vehemently convincing myself that I was straight. To me, I had to be straight- since I have two moms, I didn't want to be anything else because I didn't want people to use my sexuality against my parents negatively. I grew up in an area that bullied and harassed elementary school kids for having two moms, so I had a hard time accepting the fact that I might not be straight. When I moved to California and met a much more loving and accepting crowd, I was able to identify as bisexual pretty easily and came to embrace it. However, as the years wore on, I noticed my increasing disinterest in males and realized I only ever was really attracted to women. Strangely it was hard for me to come out, but again, I suppose it had to do with my experience as a kid back in Vegas.

*shrug*

At times when I have discussions with other people about gay marriage, I still hide and lie about my sexuality if I bring up the subject about my moms. I'm still scared of some people knowing that I'm also gay, I don't want anyone thinking that my moms made me this way. Because they didn't; there was nothing they did that ever encouraged me to become a lesbian. It just...happened. But I know a lot of anti-gay people wouldn't accept that reasoning, and it scares me.

Oye, I don't really like the term "lesbian" either. I thought it was weird that I feel so uncomfortable calling myself that, considering it's what I am. But sometimes it's just a difficult word to roll off my tongue, heh.

I'm sorry about that situation of yours too. That would be tough. :/ Anyone with a brain stem should know that that 'gay parents will make their kids gay' argument isn't really valid at all since, by that logic, my parents should have made me straight. But I know that isn't always understood. sleep.gif

*pats Haze*

Edited by Alpha Gryph

I don't know. I've always thought of myself as a heterosexual, but I've been awfully fond of this female friend of mine for quite a long time.

Oye, I don't really like the term "lesbian" either. I thought it was weird that I feel so uncomfortable calling myself that, considering it's what I am. But sometimes it's just a difficult word to roll off my tongue, heh.

I'm sorry about that situation of yours too. That would be tough. :/ Anyone with a brain stem should know that that 'gay parents will make their kids gay' argument isn't really valid at all since, by that logic, my parents should have made me straight. But I know that isn't always understood. sleep.gif

*pats Haze*

I've always favored 'sapphic' as a backup term.

I just like anyone cool.gif

So I think I would be considered pan-sexual but I don't really feel the need to call myself anything.

Heterosexual. I've honestly never had any physical attraction to a person, but I'm still young, so I wouldn't consider myself asexual quite yet. Never had a relationship either...

However I am quite sure that I'm at least a heteroromantic, as I've never fantasized about anyone but the opposite gender. But I'm totally cool with the LGBT community and I hate how there's so much discrimination, especially where I live. sad.gif

Gray-Asexual and heterosexual, I guess.

Heck, I didn't know that there's something like "gray-asexual", but it explains a LOT.

Yeah pretty sure I've posted here before oh well

Bisexual~ Leaning more on the straight side.

For what it's worth, I always just used "gay" as a kid for women and men, never thought that it referred to homosexual men only. =U

I think I'm more lesbian. Sure, there are a couple of boys I do like, but I prefer being with girls. That being said, that could mean I'm more pansexual. I dunno :3 Haven't really spoken to Mum about it yet.

For what it's worth, I always just used "gay" as a kid for women and men, never thought that it referred to homosexual men only. =U

Actually, I still think gay refers to both. I think it tends to be more likely used to refer to men, especially because they don't have their own noun, but I don't think it excludes women. That may just be my interpretation though.

Also, for those of you saying your leaning one way or another, or have some interest the other way, have you heard of the Kinsey scale? It's a more specific way to explain sexual orientation. It doesn't cover pansexual, though. Basically a 0 is completely and totally straight, with absolutely no interest in the same sex, and 6 is the same for homosexual. If you're interested in reading more, here is the link to the wikipedia article. I'd say I'm probably around a 1; I think women can be attractive, but I have almost no interest in having a romantic relationship with one.

Gay is just a blanket term. Sort of like calling a female animal by its species name as in a lioness is still a lion and a peahen is still a peacock.

I also find the "L word" unfavorable, so I never use it. I just feel it sounds a bit derogatory.

This is indeed a genuine post and not just plugging something, but this comment is just here in case of tl;dr if someone just sees the seemingly unrelated intro.

Jodi Picoult is a decent author and when I went to the library and saw a new book (Sing You Home), I leased it. There are several themes throughout it but its mainly about two women who found themselves in love. Anyway one quote was good enough that I came here just to post it.

The character that is speaking is a school counsellor.

I still worry every day that some parent is going to out me, and convince the school board I should lose my job. I listen to the news and hear politicians who know nothing about me making decisions about what I should and shouldn't be allowed to do. I don't understand why the most intriguing thing about my identity is always that I'm gay...

I'm only partway through the book because that rung such a chord that I had to post it here in GD right away (this is my first time in this topic admittedly but youll see me over in abortion and gay rights topics occassionally).

I know that I am hetero - the thing is, while I wouldn't mind a bit of 'playing around' if it was offered to me, I know that isn't my mindset - I can make that distinction - as I get that this is a thing that is not a choice. So yes, closed minds annoy me. One part of this book has protesters saying stuff like 'God Abhors Homos' and that intolerance, to me, is one of the worst things about this society.

Out of curiousity, how is homosexuality/rights treated in non-western countries, do they still have the same bigotry?

Another curiousity is because this stems from the chemistry of the brain and is in your nature, can people who are brain damaged change their orientation? I have heard of brain damage changing other things all over the place - is there any record of orientation changes happening?

Out of curiousity, how is homosexuality/rights treated in non-western countries, do they still have the same bigotry?

Even worse, actually. Some people consider it a mental disease here.

Another curiousity is because this stems from the chemistry of the brain and is in your nature, can people who are brain damaged change their orientation? I have heard of brain damage changing other things all over the place - is there any record of orientation changes happening?

I remember reading this a while ago: 'The stroke had turned me gay'

http://www.viewsfromtheworld.com/Homosexua...d-the-world,054

Some excerpts:

Afghanistan: punishable by death

Algeria: punishable by up to three years imprisonment + fine

Antigua and Barbuda: punishable by up to fourteen years imprisonment

Bangladesh: punishable with deportation, fines, and/or 10 years to life imprisonment

Belarus: homosexuality is considered a disease

Bhutan: punishable by up to life in prison

Botswana: punishable by up to seven years imprisonment

Dominican Republic: up to two years imprisonment for "looking homosexual"

India: punishable by up to life in prison

Iran: punishable by death

Iraq: punishable by death

Jamaica: punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and hard labor

Kenya: punishable by up to 14 years imprisonment

Malaysia: punishable by lashing and up to 20 years imprisonment

Nigeria: punishable by up to 14 years imprisonment throughout the country. Punishable by death in 12 northern states.

Pakistan: punishable by life in prison, 100 lashes, or death by stoning

Saudi Arabia: punishable with a maximum penalty of death

Serbia: homosexuality is considered a psychological disorder

Sudan: punishable by 100 lashes or death

Tokelau: intercourse is punishable by 10 years in prison; "making a pass" is five years.

Zimbabwe: any "act involving contact between two males that would be regarded by a reasonable person as an indecent act" is punishable by up to ten years imprisonment.

Note that most of these are "sodomy laws" which affect only male homosexuals. However, prejudice against lesbians is also very widespread and they will have many rights denied to them as well.

Jamaica: punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and hard labor

Jamaica is also known for beating homosexuals to death. (some of the locals take authority into their own hands.)

~

I've came out to everyone who I think is important to me as homosexual, but I'm still sometimes in denial. Yippee.

Ah, yeah, I know all about the Kinsey Scale. I just tend not to think of my sexuality in those terms. But, yeah, I'd be a 2.

Mm, I see most people use it for homosexual men only, so thanks for clearing up the whole gay thing. =U

Christ, that's disgusting, TPishek.

"TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

LAWS : 1. Has a sodomy law, punishable with 10 to 20 years in prison. It

provides a penalty of up to life imprisonment if committed on a

minor (under 18 years old).

2. Under Article 8 of the Immigration Act, homosexuals are not allowed

to enter the country."

*Twitch* .. but I entered the country last year... and was born there... *Twitch* wacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gifwacko.gif

And my parents ask why I don't want to go back dry.gif

~~

While I might be 'sexual, I pretty much have no interest in any sort of relationship. It's all cute and whatever, but isn't appealing most of the time for me.

/One-day-hopelessly-romantic, one-day-hating-all-couples rolleyes.gif

Errrr I'm sort of looking for some help here, I'm not sure if I'm bisexual or not. o.O;

I mean, sometimes I look at guys and think that I want to be with them, but other times I doubt I could keep a relationship with someone of the same gender...

Well, that depends on how you would define attraction and if you want to call yourself bisexual or not. (After all, it's just a label and one you're giving yourself, so it is totally up to you.) Is attraction just romantic, sexual, both, something else? Do you need to pursue a relationship with someone if you are attracted to them? Why might you not want to pursue a relationship with them? Is it because you just like looking, you're uncomfortable, or perhaps can you feel sexual attraction but not romantic attraction for them? Is it just that you think a relationship wouldn't work or that you don't want to be in a relationship with them? Are you just attracted to a certain type of guy (perhaps you would be more willing to be in a relationship with a guy if they were more 'feminine')? Etc. Maybe it would also help to read some blogs on orientation or something? Reading how other people feel may help you figure out how you feel. For some people, figuring out their a/sexuality is easy, but it isn't for everyone. In the end, the label is really up to you and how you feel. I'd be glad to talk things out with you if you wanna talk in private and I'm sure there's more people around the forum that would be at least willing to talk here, if you want. :3

Or perhaps your sexuality is more 'complicated' than bisexual. Perhaps you're biromantic heterosexual or something. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Or perhaps your sexuality is more 'complicated' than bisexual. Perhaps you're biromantic heterosexual or something. :3

That sounds a little more accurate yet I'm not sure that's completely it. I've read some things and talked to some other people, but I think it would be great if I could talk to you privately, you seem to know the most about this than anyone else that I've found so far (if that's ok with you).

I'm Bisexual, but my friends say I'm more akin to pansexual because I generally don't care about gender in any way, shape or form, or whether someone has a gender. I will just generally date anyone I love- and I've found I can fall in love with anyone.