Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I agree, but I frequent it anyway because, hey, why not?

The 'in-crowd' really does exist on the chat, and it's just made up of members who have been there, not who anyone is. It's incredibly hard to figure out, and most of the discussions are incredibly dull.

Bolding mine. I am glad I am not the only one who thinks so. I chalk it up to the fact that I could probably be the grandmother of a lot of the people who frequent the place. xd.png

I don't think the 'Forum Feedback' thread is really the place to discuss how much you don't like the IRC.

But if you really want to discuss it, I find it an incredibly interesting place, especially I find it is somewhere where you can express your views and have a discussion/debate in a friendly environment, where people actually consider your point of view and allow you to actually have one, much the opposite to here on the forums, most of the time. And yes, it is sometimes about pizza. So what?

In an attempt to bring this thread back on topic: I don't think there should be a problem with certain user's posts being reported more than others. Mods can deal with reports as they see fit, it is their decision that is final. If the post is worthy of a warn, then it will be given. If not, it won't.

Edited by TheGrox

I don't think the 'Forum Feedback' thread is really the place to discuss how much you don't like the IRC.

But if you really want to discuss it, I find it an incredibly interesting place, especially I find it is somewhere where you can express your views and have a discussion/debate in a friendly environment, where people actually consider your point of view and allow you to actually have one, much the opposite to here on the forums, most of the time. And yes, it is sometimes about pizza. So what?. .

So what, you ask ? Well, because it can - when the forum falls over - be the ONLY place to get info, and when I NEEDED an answer to something, it was ALL about pizza and no-one answered me. That means it is NOT really viable as a discussion place for serious issues.

So - which IS a forum issue - news and information which affects the game should not be given out there before it is given out here - and that DOES happen - you get posts here saying "well, TJ said this in IRC" - Socky has even set up a thread for that kind of info, so that the rest of us don't miss it.

So yes, it IS relevant, because the fact that important news is being given out off forum is important to the forum.

Edited by fuzzbucket

- Please make the rules more human with respect to spam and sarcasm. It would be nice if members didn't have to worry every time they post.

Bolded has been specifically addressed here. Any warn for sarcasm/snarkiness towards another user were from me as breaking the respect other users rule. I have admitted to this, apologized, and said I'll stop. Once again, I'm sorry for overreacting and terrorizing members.

Perhaps people with frequent warns should step back and look closer at what they are being warned for (the general flavor text, is it spam? rude?) and try to figure out why they are being warned for those things. Sometimes, if you are disputing a warn, you have to change the wording of your question to get a clearer explanation.

There are some users, who have a really hard time seeing that what they are saying can be seen completely different ways than they may intend. There are a few users in this forum that I tend to not comment when they have, because i find their way of commenting to always be aggressive, and rude, but they usually have a point. At least one person in this thread cant stand me because we can never agree on anything, but, it works for us. I love the few times that come up that i agree with them, those are worth it to me tongue.gif

Edit: Yes sometimes things are said in chat that arent necessarily said here, but the big important stuff always get a news thread, or announced somewhere as far as i know. If theres ever a question of something that was said in chat, I am constantly logging. As long as i was logged in, I can pull the information. Between a few hard drives (including 2 corrupt ones we are working on recovering, which hold the 09- early 11 logs)

Anyone who needs chat logs is welcome to ask me, and if i can pull the info, and if it was said in an "official" room, not pm or private channels, i'm happy to hand them over.

Edited by Thuban

So what, you ask ? Well, because it can - when the forum falls over - be the ONLY place to get info, and when I NEEDED an answer to something, it was ALL about pizza and no-one answered me. That means it is NOT really viable as a discussion place for serious issues.

So - which IS a forum issue - news and information which affects the game should not be given out there before it is given out here - and that DOES happen - you get posts here saying "well, TJ said this in IRC" - Socky has even set up a thread for that kind of info, so that the rest of us don't miss it.

So yes, it IS relevant, because the fact that important news is being given out off forum is important to the forum.

I usually lurk on these thread but when on the IRC there are alot.png of people talking at once and so if you go on during an especially busy time (like when the forum falls over) and try to talk to people they may not actually see what you said. Sure you could ping somebody in main chat but with variety of words that are set to highlight or ping someone they still might hear you. Did you try to pm someone individually in the chat or was it only in the main room that you asked the question. I find if I have a really important question it's better to pm then to try to ask the question in the main since it will be isolated to that one tab and only you and the person you are trying to ask the question of will be talking. If you have tried this then I'm not sure if i can give any explanation for the ignoring of a pm. But I know that right now about a wall of text has gone in the few minutes it took for me to write this post and it is very easy to miss a question or several while multitasking.

"goes back to lurking"

Edited by QAndais

Bolded has been specifically addressed here. Any warn for sarcasm/snarkiness towards another user were from me as breaking the respect other users rule. I have admitted to this, apologized, and said I'll stop. Once again, I'm sorry for overreacting and terrorizing members.

Will sarcasm/etc be verbally warned now? ^^ I think that'd be more effective than a regular private warn anyway, because sometimes people step in and try to "defend" one member or another if they mistake the snippyness for an actual attack.

Will sarcasm/etc be verbally warned now? ^^ I think that'd be more effective than a regular private warn anyway, because sometimes people step in and try to "defend" one member or another if they mistake the snippyness for an actual attack.

Since members do not find it rude, action is not necessary; posts like that will be left alone - no verbal warning, no official warning, no PM. :3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

But if you really want to discuss it, I find it an incredibly interesting place, especially I find it is somewhere where you can express your views and have a discussion/debate in a friendly environment, where people actually consider your point of view and allow you to actually have one, much the opposite to here on the forums, most of the time. And yes, it is sometimes about pizza. So what?

In an attempt to bring this thread back on topic: I don't think there should be a problem with certain user's posts being reported more than others. Mods can deal with reports as they see fit, it is their decision that is final. If the post is worthy of a warn, then it will be given. If not, it won't.

The only reason I ever brought it up was that Thuban mentioned opening a channel for this discussion in chat. I was just explaining why that bothered me. If I was off topic, I apologize.

Since members do not find it rude, action is not necessary; posts like that will be left alone - no verbal warning, no official warning, no PM. :3

Even if it is used in a rude way? Sarcasm does have its place, but it is sometimes used in a rude and aggressive manner.

Edited by Nectaris

Even if it is used in a rude way? Sarcasm does have its place, but it is sometimes used in a rude and aggressive manner.

When I was a moderator, I'd only sometimes warn on sarcasm. Sometimes I wouldn't, and sometimes I would and it all depended on context, because sarcasm can be used to nearly mock someone's opinion and to be used in an aggressive context as Nectaris said.

Again, I'm guessing each post will have its context and it's entirely impossible to say you'll never warn for X because exceptions happen and incidents pop up where no other choice is given.

If a mod is in a bad mood or is cranky, he/she should step back from a topic. Same goes for if a mod is becoming very frustrated while trying to handle a heated discussion. No one should receive warn just because a mod is cranky.

Not to pull up a topic from a long time ago or anything (geesh, this thread moves fast).

When I'm in a bad mood, I don't mod. There was a time when I was not doing well emotionally and I asked TJ to temporarily demod me. I've taken plenty of breaks when I'm stressed with midterms/finals/personal issues.

I've been a mod for nearly three years now. My first year as a mod was rough (sorry guys D8), but by now I think I've figured things out. The way I look at it, there are two versions of me. There is the me that isn't a mod, the me that gets angry at threads when people are saying a lot of stuff I disagree with. And then there is the mod version. If I'm in a thread where things are heated and I'm getting upset, I take a breath and look at it like a mod. Is that person really being rude? Or am I just overreacting? Quite often I find that I'm overreacting and thinking emotionally.

One of the things I've noticed that happens to me is that when I'm dealing with someone who is annoying me through PM (as a mod) my posts get increasingly polite and formal. This keeps me from saying anything rude or angry, and it also helps to keep me calm. I am only human after all.

Speaking of being only human, if I ever make a mistake I full well expect to be called out on it. Not in public, but in private. There have been a handful of warns I've given that the user has messaged me, talked it over with me, and then I've removed it. There have also been times when the user messages me, and then we talk it over and they end up agreeing that they deserved it.

Another thing that I see come up in this thread quite often is the "favoring" or "picking on" topic. There are users on this forum that I don't like. Those are the users that I don't mod, or if I have to, I consult with other mods. Most of the mods and I are friends on skype, and usually at least one of them is online.

I hope that this post makes sense. Also, I'm sorry that I don't reply to this thread very often at all. This thread, for me, is one that I don't really trust myself to reply to a lot. I could easily see myself getting angry and saying things that I will definitely regret. Either way, if anyone ever wants to PM me about anything feel free. I'm not half as scary as I seem tongue.gif.

Edit: And I completely forgot to add in that I definitely want/like the ask-a-mod threads idea.

Edited by kiffren

I've been mods for several threads now. I now own a thread and I have considered applying for forum mod, but I think for now, I will stick to trying for half-op on irc since I have most experience there than on the forums.

As kiffren said: I don't mod when in a bad mood or something like upsetness. Being a human being, I find that sometimes separating mod work vs being friends is much more difficult when one is upset or angry or something of the sort.

I generally don't find the mods scary to talk to. I've been warned once, I think, for merely saying "Happy Birthday" in a thread that I modded - because it was "off-topic".

Ok, a bit over-zealous there, since people should be able to celebrate things but I accepted the warn, and just let it go. That was over a year ago.

I'm friendly with some of the forum mods, even TJ. I'd sure love those "chat with a mod" thread - would be a great way to become friendly with more forum mods - especially the ones that don't IRC.

Above all, I think it's important to remember that mods are human beings, that they CAN make mistakes, just like users CAN make mistakes.

With regards to people feeling they got dumped on by mods - maybe that's a valid feeling but how do you know it's valid if you don't try talking to said mod?

Something that caught my eye earlier - about mods needing to have common ground.

Put it this way: Would you want to be a president of a company with a vice-president that had nothing in common with you and disagreed with everything you said?

I don't think so. You'd rather have a vice-president that had something in common with you but was capable of making his/her own decisions on things and the ability to disagree with you, even though you're the president.

It's the checks and balances scale of teamwork. Everybody has to be able to work together and be able to provide a sounding board. They also have to be able to feel free to oppose a decision.

And on the other shoe's foot? Users have to be able to feel free to discuss, debate, or agree. As long as it's respectfully done. Sarcasm has its place but this is a text-based forum. Putting words on a computer screen and have it convey your feelings can be incredibly hard, particularly for those who do not have English as their native language. English is full of weird rules.

Chatspeak/txtspeak/whatever - this can completely obscure the tone of the communication. So take a moment, preview the post, ask yourself whether this is something that you wouldn't mind another user saying to you.

Also, keep in mind this very important phrase: When acting out in anger, there can be unintended consequences that you did not expect to happen. Same thing goes for every feeling.

Every sentence is a drop in a huge pond and ripples throughout the thread or chat.

If you think someone insulted you - then take a step backwards, reread it, and consider carefully how the post or comment was said. If you still feel insulted, then sure, report it. Just keep in mind, maybe the mod doesn't see it that way.

History is written by the winners. So yeah, watching your words and how they feel to you can change dramatically how you interact with people. You might actually find that you're interacting better with people.

As for the IRC chan #dc - yeah, sure, chat goes by extremely fast at times. Even seem weird or nuts or whatever. The ops in there are very friendly, they'll answer your pm's if you have any questions. I wouldn't call it "in-crowd chat only" - more of an inane group of people chatting and you just need to just go chatting and eventually, people will actually listen to you. That's the way I became a vocal chatter in there - by talking. By listening, watching what different people say. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it. biggrin.gif It's not as cliquishness as it seems at first. It just happens to have some very frequent talkers, some very quiet lurkers who just enjoy watching the babble, some people who chat a bit. It's full of variety.

IDIC, anyone? Indefinite Diversity, Indefinite Combinations.

Cheers,

Sunny

Edited to add: Whoops for that long long post! I tend to get on a long post when something tickles me. biggrin.gif

Edited by simkim

And like Fuzz, I find it a very unfriendly place. If an outsider comes in and makes a post it is, it seems, most likely to be ignored while the "in crowd" goes on with their oh so important discussion about fish or rats or snakes or kitties or spiders or pizza or whatever. It feels to me like a very exclusive club. sad.gif

I am glad to see this discussion taking a more positive turn and to see TJ and the mods responding to some of the concerns that were raised. I know that the mods do not have an easy job and all of you have your own lives outside of DC as well, which also demand your time.

I agree completely here. Although it's not exactly along the lines of an 'exclusive club' to me, it does certainly seem like I'm ignored at some points when I join the chat. I think the more active users are more friendly to each other than 'outsiders' as well. I'm a little more frequent in the IRC so it may not be as bad for me, but sometimes I do find that people in the IRC can easily ignore other people.

I, too, am pleased and glad to see the discussion actually progressing and the mods taking things in - as well as replying in a calm, mannered tone. happy.gif

(Must go soon, but will probably post later in the day in response to more of the 'sarcasm' rules. Thank you to all the mods who are still and trying to participate as well as improve the rules - especially for sarcasm/sniping. <3)

Sarcasm.

well, it depends what it's aimed at. Sometimes, it can be hurtful(to me) if it's aimed at me in order to make me feel bad about a statement I made or feel plain stupid, because I apparently said something that made me look like an ignorant fool. If I know it was aimed at me and I'm offended by it, I'll report it and will explain why I was offended.

sarcasm can go that way. o.o

But. When one pokes fun at a fact or makes a related joke(that is not always sarcasm, by the way) to a subject without aiming it at anyone in particular, it shouldn't be warn-able. One can't always be serious.

I for one, find it hard to make a long 'serious' gloomy post when I'm in a debate or discussion. If I find it a tad ridiculous, I will poke innocent fun at it, without trying to sound rude.

Edited by earthgirl

I wasn't targeting you specifically Sock, my aim was not for you to feel hounded, I would feel bad if I did. But thank you for responding. It's more of a general thing ? Nevertheless, I am glad to hear that you understand our side of things too, it makes for a healthier relationship between mods and users smile.gif

I am not saying that sarcasm, if it is mean, should never be punished. I just think that user's rights should play in the equation, as well as all the stuff that already does. Now, if the mod thinks the post is bad enough that the user really deserves a warn, then of course, they should get it. It's just maybe relaxing a little over the rules, not being quite so quick to warn. Again, this is not at all directed at you personally Sock, I am just trying to explain my point of view.

I too feel very unwelcome in the IRC, I get ignored because I am not part of the clique. And while I'm all for light-hearted discussion, I do feel out of place when everything seems futile to me. But I understand that some people feel more comfortable in another setting and that's ok, as long as someone is ready to give us the important info from TJ, etc. back here on the forum. So far I think this has been taken care of very well, so I have no complaints. Keep doing what you're doing smile.gif

(By the way, someone said something about a thread Sock opened to relay information from the IRC ? That sounds like a great idea, can anyone PM me the link ? I haven't see it around.)

how do you know it's valid if you don't try talking to said mod?

Well, up until this thread basically when we've started seeing mods being open and listening to us, I would never have dared PM a mod. Especially not after a warn ! The warns seem so arbitrary sometimes, it feels like there is no chance we will ever be listened to and taken into account. I am sure I am not alone in this since it has been said before on this thread.

Now I feel at least some mods care, and yes, if I had an issue I would feel more comfortable going to those mods. So it comes back to knowing the mods better as human beings, and knowing they care about us, not just as people to be kept in line but as people, period.

And as has been said before, the ask-a-mod type threads would help with that. So we're getting somewhere with all this smile.gif

Edited by Anna Selka

I too feel very unwelcome in the IRC, I get ignored because I am not part of the clique. And while I'm all for light-hearted discussion, I do feel out of place when everything seems futile to me.
Me too. You are not alone.

(By the way, someone said something about a thread Sock opened to relay information from the IRC ? That sounds like a great idea, can anyone PM me the link ? I haven't see it around.)

I have PMd you the link - but sadly no-one has yet bothered to post to it.

Well, up until this thread basically when we've started seeing mods being open and listening to us, I would never have dared PM a mod. Especially not after a warn ! The warns seem so arbitrary sometimes, it feels like there is no chance we will ever be listened to and taken into account. I am sure I am not alone in this since it has been said before on this thread.

Now I feel at least some mods care, and yes, if I had an issue I would feel more comfortable going to those mods. So it comes back to knowing the mods better as human beings, and knowing they care about us, not just as people to be kept in line but as people, period. 

And as has been said before, the ask-a-mod type threads would help with that. So we're getting somewhere with all this smile.gif

That's very sad. Maybe being so OLD makes me pushy, but I have never hesitated to PM a mod.... so if those threads would help people feel able to - great.

I totally relate to what some are saying about the IRC. I have been on many times and felt that my comments were falling into an ocean of chat- never to be seen again. I also went to the trade channel once, because someone who wanted to trade with me asked me too. I logged on, they didn't seem to see me right away, though they were on the list, so I said, "____ are you here?", got chastised for "chatting", went to pm to do the trade, and vowed not to return, as it's very unfriendly there.

I get along with all the mods I have interacted with over the years, and if I got a warn I didn't understand, I would not hesitate to go to one of the mods I have interacted with before to ask if they could understand the warn and explain it to me. I have had mods intervene for me with TJ, I have asked for advice on different matters, and gotten assistance from them on various matters over the years, so I wouldn't hesitate to tell them if I thought they were mistaken or to ask them for clarification on anything I didn't understand. They have always been there for me.

How do you know if members find it rude or not?

The only way you can find out is if someone reports it. But sometimes people are scared to report this - especially things like sarcasm - because others/other mods may not find it offensive enough to be warned for.

I think there should be a verbal warning, or at least a (polite and small) PM just reminding them about sarcasm.

Also, I think sarcasm and/or things like this should be elaborated in the board rules (or, at the very least, in the thread that explains the board rules).

Of course, there's the light-hearted sarcasm that is not aimed at anyone and is not offensive. (If this is what you were talking about, then forget what I said above. e_e)

And Sock, about your apology apologies: we all make mistakes. That's all I'm saying. happy.gif

Edited by cfmtfm

I think way back up the thread, someone in Authority said they are trying to define spam and sarcasm more carefully. But it isn't usually that hard to tell if it is designed to be a barb.

A thought. If you aren't sure it is offensive enough, PM a mod and say that you were hurt by it (I think this would be mostly for whoever the sarcasm was aimed at) and the mod can tell you if they think it is, and in any case PM the person involved to say "look, that wasn't warnable as a first offence, but you hurt someone by your post; please don't do that again. If you keep doing so, you can expect a warn for being deliberately hurtful, as you know now."

Edited by fuzzbucket

Hmmm...

My problems with the forums most often are, that, if there is a new release, you want to share your opinion about the dragon.

Yes, most people will see it as nagging, but not every person likes all things the same.

That´s what my problems with the forums are.

On the topic of warnings: It might be that not every mod is "fair" in terms that all users would be happy with, but they are only humans too. And, no need to be afraid of a mod if you are not sure as to why you got warned (if the little pm about that isn´t clear enough or leaves questions). The mods are only people too, even if they look like they are allmighty *winks at mods*.

Most of them are only normal people if you get to know them.

On the topic of chats.

I´m wellknown, (mostly) well liked, and still I am sometims not finding a topic which I can "work" with.

That´s just how the IRC goes.

You come inside, offer a hello, and sometimes it drowns in all the topics being tossed around between 60+ members online.

No one ignores you from the beginning, and if you want to chat, just hop onto a topic, whatever it might is. (Because seriously, no one can talk about DC 24/7, and topics pop up like adds.)

Just ... my two pence...

Edited by Hellen

And nothing has been posted in Sock's thread yet. I can't think of many (if any) instances when vital information has been given out on the IRC and not on the forums. If there is anything TJ deems important enough, he will post it on the forums.

If you're that bothered about such 'important news' being given out on the IRC, just join and lurk there. You don't have to join in with the conversations. I highly doubt you'll find out anything useful from TJ there. And now, if he does by some tiny chance post some really vital bit of information in the IRC, you have that thread that Sock set up to see it in. So what's your problem?

I will admit, the IRC isn't the most friendly of places, no matter how hard some of us try to make it so. I highly doubt most people liked me when I first joined, but now I think I've been accepted into your so-called group of regulars. I hardly ever see questions completely ignored, unless they get really lost in chat when there's a lot of people on. All the mods, and some members like me, do try to answer people's questions.

Chatting about random subjects is the very nature of the IRC. We can't chat about DC all the time, it would get boring after a bit. I find some subjects (pokemon and snakes to name but a couple) completely uninteresting, so I don't take part in such conversations. But you can't talk about what you want to talk about all the time.

@raindear: Chatting in the trade channel is against the rules, even if asking if someone is there - as you and everyone else would well know if you actually read the rules when you joined. Trade channels are meant for posting trades, they shouldn't be overwhelmed with comments of "___ are you here?" ... "ARE YOU HERE YET ___ ???". If you wanted to ask that, you could highlight them by typing their name - in a private chat with them, or even ask them if they are here in the main #dc channel. Trades is for trading. Chat isn't a hostile place, if you abide by the rules - which are much fewer and simpler than those here on the forums.

Basically - the problem of TJ giving out really important information on the IRC is tiny to non-existent. And if people gave the IRC a bit of time, rather than just quitting after 5 minutes and never going back again, they might see a different side to the place.

I find it much easier to talk on the IRC than on the forums, because I'm not having to watch my back and be worried about getting warned or getting argued forcibly and rudely back at by another member.

How do you know if members find it rude or not?

Because users have been saying in here that they find that an unreasonable warn, as well as other reasons. I'm oversensitive and quick to warn. I don't think I get many, if any, reports on sarcasm. Sometimes it's hard to tell because users don't like reporting for rudeness anyway - and some reasons have been explained in this thread - but even in threads that got reports, I warned for posts like that even if they didn't receive a warn. I've been too eager; the warns were undeserved.

I'm semi-regular in the chat, simply because I've been popping in for years. Even if folk don't really know me, they do tend to recognize my name because I'm ALWAYS Cinnamin.

There are lots of folk in chat all the time. Who is chatting when, depends on time of day and day of week. Some times are busier than others, and who's active depends on time zones. So you can never be certain what kind of reception you will receive. The best thing to do is watch/lurk for a few mins to see how active things are.. then post a greeting to let folk know you're active. MOST of the time, at least one or two folk will return your greeting and then you can join in and ask whatever you need.

Depending on the topic, I'm one of the more chatty types, lol. But when the topic changes to something I'm not interested in or know nothing about, I hush until the topic changes again or I get bored and leave. The moral of this little post is..... no two chat sessions are ever the same, so don't base your opinion of it on just one session.

I will say this tho... the chat mods are no more or less friendly than the forum mods.. some are good, some are bad and some are mediocre. So your mileage may vary there and here, which is why we're discussing things.

And I'm very glad that we're 'discussing' and not 'arguing'.. it's a nice change.

*hugs all around*

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

@raindear: Chatting in the trade channel is against the rules, even if asking if someone is there - as you and everyone else would well know if you actually read the rules when you joined. Trade channels are meant for posting trades, they shouldn't be overwhelmed with comments of "___ are you here?" ... "ARE YOU HERE YET ___ ???". If you wanted to ask that, you could highlight them by typing their name - in a private chat with them, or even ask them if they are here in the main #dc channel. Trades is for trading. Chat isn't a hostile place, if you abide by the rules - which are much fewer and simpler than those here on the forums.

Basically - the problem of TJ giving out really important information on the IRC is tiny to non-existent. And if people gave the IRC a bit of time, rather than just quitting after 5 minutes and never going back again, they might see a different side to the place.

It was the first (and last) time I had ever been on the trade channel. I was only there because someone else asked me to meet them there, asking for them in chat would have been fruitless, that isn't where I was supposed to meet them. I opened a pm and they didn't respond to it, so knowing that being on the list doesn't necessarily mean watching the monitor, I asked if they were there. I knew that "chat" was against the rules, I didn't know that asking if your trade partner was available was chat. Telling me that now is immaterial, cause I will never make the mistake again, ever.

An example of important information that was told by TJ in IRC and only appeared on the forums because members who were on chat put it out on the forums later:

".<TJ09>: People catching vampires and held eggs to "bounce" them back is not intended behavior

<TJ09>: I've already blocked the catching of repulsed vamps.

<calankh>: that explains why people were failing at catching vamps, then

<CoffeeAddict>: @J so no one can catch a repulsed vamp with the abandoned link?

<TJ09>: CoffeeAddict, nope.

<TJ09>: If I wanted people to be able to catch them, I wouldn't make them auto-abandon to begin with"

There were other times, but I don't have them on hand.