Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I don't post much on here, as y'all can see. For the most part, the forum has about as much functionality as I'd expect from a forum. cool.gif

I have to admit, though - the search is balky, non-cooperative and counter-intuitive. I do know that searches are resource-gobblers, so having search time limits aids with load-balancing. It is extremely frustrating to enter a search term, be it a whole word, partial word, wildcard, Boolean, what have you, have it return a bunch of non-relevant posts and then have to wait 2 minutes to search again. I don't know exactly what criteria the searches run under (meaning what matches the search hits first & so on) but I never seem to be able to retrieve useful results.

I am relatively computer savvy & search engine savvy and I can usually get results from a search engine quickly and satisfactorily, but the one here on the forum sends me to searching via an outside search engine to find relevant threads, without a time restriction. If the native search engine can't be re-engineered (which is completely understandable), how about adding an existing search engine button to the forum? It's usually free & some (like Google) even provide the code.

Something I've seen on other forums is a 'karma' feature (this particular forum may not want to implement a 'Bad Karma' button because it seems as though many, many emotionally sensitive people use this forum). But, maybe a 'good karma' feature could be added to user profiles so that if someone does something truly helpful, the person they helped out could literally give them '+1'. It doesn't have to earn the recipient of karma anything special other than letting everyone know that they are a nice or helpful individual.

Lastly, a feature I've seen on some SimpleMachine forums is you can get a post preview by mousing over a thread title.

For the most part, I'm really alright with the forums. However, I'd like to add in a couple of ideas.

One was already mentioned more than once. Having a trading area would be really useful I think. A lot of times it's hard to find what I'm looking for when everyone's posting in just two to three threads.

The second would be a Role-playing Academy sub-board. I think it'd be a good way for some of the RPers to build up their skills and get more active help when they need it.

I have to admit, though - the search is balky, non-cooperative and counter-intuitive. I do know that searches are resource-gobblers, so having search time limits aids with load-balancing. It is extremely frustrating to enter a search term, be it a whole word, partial word, wildcard, Boolean, what have you, have it return a bunch of non-relevant posts and then have to wait 2 minutes to search again. I don't know exactly what criteria the searches run under (meaning what matches the search hits first & so on) but I never seem to be able to retrieve useful results.

I am relatively computer savvy & search engine savvy and I can usually get results from a search engine quickly and satisfactorily, but the one here on the forum sends me to searching via an outside search engine to find relevant threads, without a time restriction. If the native search engine can't be re-engineered (which is completely understandable), how about adding an existing search engine button to the forum? It's usually free & some (like Google) even provide the code.

Searching via an outside search engine still has the issue with using up resources, especially if you consider that it's not going to have a limit. It's just best to double-check your settings before you search. If that doesn't work the first time, unfortunately, you'll have to wait.

Also, guys, I think Khay is trying to get feedback on the way the forum FEELS, not feedback on what features you'd like to see.

I personally think this forum is way too restricted. (Thus I pretty much want to quit using it.)

-threads get locked if they so much as resemble another thread

-you get your thread locked if it "causes drama"

-you can't "chat" in any thread without it viewed as spam...is it just me or do people seem spam-phobic around here?

-you can't post comments on completed artwork without being warned to death

-threads get closed when a mod wants them to, even if the users want to talk more, which is the point of a forum, right? The new news topic about the christmas dragons is already locked by the time I've even seen it, so I'll have to dig through it to see if my questions are already answered, which is annoying.

-topic wipes and thread splitting due to "length" seem silly to me, but hey, what do I know.

-sillyness is not tolerated either (this is particularly true of the IRC, which can get you booted out by the power hungry moderators...)

-as previously mentioned here, rules should be universal, so you don't have to read different rules for every section, and in my opinion, they should be more relaxed.

-lastly...this is the official DC forum...why can't we post our eggs? or at least have a section for "eggspam" or whatever you want to call it? I'd personally love to have my eggs in my signature, and have wanted to for a long time.

I realize this came out quit bluntly, but in all fairness, there is a lot of frustration behind it and it could have been worse...

Perhaps we should discuss how the forum is unfriendly to new members.

We appear to have a reputation, Suggestions?

Also this:

I agree with the artist thing, actually, _Z_. This may be a free site, but it just seems unfair, then, that we are therefore given a new dragon that has a few problems. I don't know about you, but if a new dragon was released and it had a wonky back leg, I'd think two things:

Why wasn't this able to be tweaked?

and

Why couldn't we have gotten that super-awesome-omega dragon on the completed request list? =/

I think it would save a lot of artists some sadness if we could simply have a chance to say that something looks off. I'd prefer to be getting "Looks great, I love the back leg" as opposed to "

", but that might just be my ego.

I know on my Invision boards I can add extra fields to the 'mini profile' [which is attached to the post] - would it be possible to add a 'scroll' field - with a link to the person's DC Scroll [since it seems everyone tells the new members to put their scroll in their signature anyways] AND a little clock below them that says the current time for that person? I really couldn't care less the default forum time, but I WOULD like to know what time it is for others, especially if I'm trying to negotiate a trade with them.

Searching via an outside search engine still has the issue with using up resources, especially if you consider that it's not going to have a limit. It's just best to double-check your settings before you search. If that doesn't work the first time, unfortunately, you'll have to wait.

The offset to that is I may only have to search via the outside search engine once or twice to get my highly specific desired results versus having to spend a half hour tweaking things on the native search function (which I've done, because I enjoy testing things, at least until I actually need it to work) and researching over & over again.

I mean, I've pretty much completely given up using the native search engine on here, and since I seem to be baffled by it, and considering how many threads get marked with that canned response of 'duplicate topic, please use the search feature', I know I'm not the only one.

Well, this forum runs pretty good like it is. Although there is one thing that my friends and I hope might happen.

Post-count in Freeform.

I know the reason that Freeform does not have post-count, to stop people from creating spam RPs for post-count.(Or if it is another reason please tell me >__> <__<)

But, if a user has a certain number of posts, like 5,000 or 6,000, they could start getting post-count from Freeform, but if they didn't stay literate/semi-literate they would no longer get post-count from it. I realize this might be a pain in the neck to do, and I realize that this may not be possible for the moderators/admin to do(As I haven't seen it done before.)

But please tell me what you think of this suggestion and what is wrong with it or if it just plain won't be done.

Edited by CYDA LUVA83

Also, guys, I think Khay is trying to get feedback on the way the forum FEELS, not feedback on what features you'd like to see.

I don't really think this discussion is limited to just that. Before the original post was changed for some reason, right from the beginning it listed:

-More mature subforum for discussions where things can be discussed freely and maturely within reason. | Possibly have a section that is password protected and can't be seen by members unless given permission.

-Trade subforum to make trading easier.

-A larger inbox space.

-PG-13 Guidelines better described (they're vague now).

-More characters allowed in signature (without the size limit being affected).

-More BBC functionality such as alignment, and spoiler codes.

-Multiple quoting (Not sure if this is possible).

-Reduce the time between using 'Search'.

-Possibly shorter flood control.

-What merits a warn, and what are the possible consequences.

-Forum Clock

A lot of these sound like features to me.

We appear to have a reputation, Suggestions?

Also this:

I think the forum is unfriendly to new members because of the current members.

I mean, I thought a lot about it when I saw those new images people posted with stuff like "back in my day we had one cave and we were GRATEFUL", and other stuff like that. (I don't mean to pick on the artists who made that, I'm just saying that it could be offensive when you're just starting)

As already suggested: Lock/restrict the Announcement-Threads, to prevent the "woot", "YAY" and "kthnx"-spam, either with directly locking the Thread and have a moderated question Thread, or only allowing questions in the Thread, with answered Question in the second post of the Thread.

An alphabetical order of the "who is online" list, right now it is quite difficult to see, who is online and who not, if you are looking for someone.

I personally think this forum is way too restricted. (Thus I pretty much want to quit using it.)

-threads get locked if they so much as resemble another thread

-you get your thread locked if it "causes drama"

-you can't "chat" in any thread without it viewed as spam...is it just me or do people seem spam-phobic around here?

-lastly...this is the official DC forum...why can't we post our eggs? or at least have a section for "eggspam" or whatever you want to call it? I'd personally love to have my eggs in my signature, and have wanted to for a long time.

Although I love this forum, I wholeheartedly agree with these.

Well of those oriinal suggestions, I have this to say. The latter two quoted - DO WANT. I'm not warned yet *knock on wood*, and I feel like I'm walking on eggshells to stay that way (pun semi-intended). About the first one, two words: Gaia Online. Go there. I havn't been in a little while, but that's where I came from. Th signatures? Let me just say that when I found out I had over 500 1000 characters to use on this forum, I jumped for joy. I will not complain about the length. But I wouldn't object to even more freedom, either. xd.png

I mean, I thought a lot about it when I saw those new images people posted with stuff like "back in my day we had one cave and we were GRATEFUL", and other stuff like that. (I don't mean to pick on the artists who made that, I'm just saying that it could be offensive when you're just starting)

*looks at own banner* Hm.. I think I'm good. *doesn't want to offend the newbies*

We are? huh.gif This was a really friendly place to me when I just joined... Of course, I'm the weirdo who reads the rules and FAQ (multiple times) before joining anything, soo...

I don't really think this discussion is limited to just that. Before the original post was changed for some reason, right from the beginning it listed:

-More mature subforum for discussions where things can be discussed freely and maturely within reason. | Possibly have a section that is password protected and can't be seen by members unless given permission.

-Trade subforum to make trading easier.

-A larger inbox space.

-PG-13 Guidelines better described (they're vague now).

-Multiple quoting (Not sure if this is possible).

-Reduce the time between using 'Search'.

-Possibly shorter flood control.

-Forum Clock

A lot of these sound like features to me.

All I did was take away the list. Because yes, I was looking for feedback on how the forum is run, versus the title. That list was there as a bunch of things that members wanted more as a personal note to me. When I realized members were getting confused by this. I took it away/

There is a certain..."vibe" to the DC forums, and it's not really a pleasant one. I understand that members who have been here for a while are probably very tired of seeing the same old questions/requests from a thousand different newbies who all probably think they've thought of it first. Nonetheless, many of the replies to those new members seem to be from the STFU Read the Guidelines NEWB! vein, which doesn't start things off right.

I only occasionally reply to stuff on the forum, mainly because it's hard to get a reasonable discussion if you aren't part of the "old crowd", and trying to pursue a topic out of curiosity can end up with you getting a warn or thread locking. Those unmentionable rules and all, you know. I'm another supporter of some solid descriptions about what the rules are and any consequences of breaking them. The current guidelines are rather wishy-washy and it's sometimes hard to see exactly what applies.

This forum is not a really stress-free one to be on, compared to another I frequent, with mods that are openly more tyrant-ish than the ones here (but at least they'll explain themselves when they warn, usually by pointing out your bad behavior and telling you to go read the thorough action = consequences guidelines again). And a karma function that serves very well, actually. It's hard to have any discussions because that's labeled as "chat" or "spam" or "off topic" which gets the thread closed and everyone suitably cowed. Nevermind that going to PMs, which are limited to only two people in a discussion and have size limits so you can't really have a good discussion there either. The IRC chat is also no place to go, because the mods there will jump on "chatter" the same way.

Often it feels like we can discuss what ever we'd like, so long as we don't actually talk about it.

All I did was take away the list. Because yes, I was looking for feedback on how the forum is run, versus the title. That list was there as a bunch of things that members wanted more as a personal note to me. When I realized members were getting confused by this. I took it away/

Ahh I see. I didn't see any explanation for why it was gone, so it seemed like the list was just mysteriously whisked away in the night ninja.gif.

I love this forum with every fiber of my being. I've learned so much from the people here, including that I'm really a grammar freak (I'd still be grammarless without this forum). There are so many amazing people, and despite its size this forum really feels like a community. The mods, too, are great; they're fair and just, and they actually feel like human beings, unlike so many mods on other sites. It's only been two years since I joined the site, but it feels like so much longer, and it's been a ton of fun.

Edited by soupnazi

To speak to the tone of the forum here then; I must say first that this is the only forum I'm part of that is of this nature. Other forums that I take part in are dedicated to a particular activity, and are pretty much all business. The tone of the one possible exception to that is far more vicious than here. However, it is also geared toward older people. The tone of this forum is very young, and that leads sometimes to an appearance of unfriendliness that I don't think is intended.

People here often post first and think later. There's nothing in particular that the mods can do about that but try to keep control on drama. Things are perceived as insulting/condescending/etc. that probably weren't meant as such. The mods however, come across as friendly and helpful for the most part. I wouldn't expect them to be 100% friendly and helpful. Partly because it isn't their job always to be our friends, and partly because they're only human.

Discouraging "piling on" would be a good idea. If someone does something that's against the rules, they don't need 10 people posting after them telling them that what they've done is against the rules, trying to explain the rules, and linking places where they can get help. Ditto on answers to questions. If you read the help section, you'll see half a dozen or more people answering a single question. Usually they aren't adding important info, just a slightly different take on the same info. That doesn't really help people. Also, sometimes they "answer" with wrong info, which then gets perpetuated around the forum. That would tend to create a less than welcoming atmosphere for the new user. One answer is usually sufficient, and if you post an answer and then see someone else beat you to it, you shouldn't edit the post with "ninja'd." Mods should encourage people to delete the post instead. The new person will be less confused, and feel less ganged up on.

More clarity would be good in the rules. Clearly posting them in the Help section would be a good idea, and adopting the same standards for all sections of the forum would be good, so that an infraction in one section is an infraction in all. Making sure there are enough mods, and that they clearly communicate with each other is good; not that I don't think they communicate now. I haven't any basis for knowing one way or the other. But, if one mod corrects a user for something, the other mods for that section should be aware and not counter the correction.

Ahh I see. I didn't see any explanation for why it was gone, so it seemed like the list was just mysteriously whisked away in the night ninja.gif.

So sorry. xd.png Teehee. I thought I posted it on the front page. xd.png My error. I think i did it either this morning when I just woke up, or really late last night. Either way, I probably wasn't thinking at my best.

Discouraging "piling on" would be a good idea. If someone does something that's against the rules, they don't need 10 people posting after them telling them that what they've done is against the rules, trying to explain the rules, and linking places where they can get help. Ditto on answers to questions. If you read the help section, you'll see half a dozen or more people answering a single question. Usually they aren't adding important info, just a slightly different take on the same info. That doesn't really help people. Also, sometimes they "answer" with wrong info, which then gets perpetuated around the forum. That would tend to create a less than welcoming atmosphere for the new user. One answer is usually sufficient, and if you post an answer and then see someone else beat you to it, you shouldn't edit the post with "ninja'd." Mods should encourage people to delete the post instead. The new person will be less confused, and feel less ganged up on.

While it's not necessary to have a ton of people answering a question, it's actually good to have three or four answers, as that way it confirms it; just one answer might not be right, but if three or four people are saying it, it's probably correct.

Honestly I think the members who are rude to new members should get warned for it. May be then they'll stop doing it and it will disappear after a bit.

Just a thought, maybe make the Help section like the TGT thread. Only mods answering question to avoid gazillion answers that can be fuzzy/wrong/misguiding/etc.

Though that leave more work to the mods. >.<

I would like to see more clear-cut rules and consequences. Also, I would like to see a regularly up-datable FAQ topic, so when we notice one question coming up over ad over again, it can be put there. I'm not exactly an old member, and even I've seen a good 15-20 "My zombie is gone" topics. I know that's to be expected after Halloween and plenty of people probably don't search first, but it would still be nice.

Also: I feel like a majority of the questions could just as well be asked in the Tiny Little Questions thread... Personally, I have not yet created a help topic because that one thread worked fine. It would be nice if people were encouraged to use that for something that could be a yes or no question. It could be just me, but I feel the rest of the topics should generally fall along the lines of reporting glitches and abnormalities - like the mysterious X click image that appears on some dragon pages on some computers. You know, things that might need other people to say ""yeah, I noticed that too".

Edit for spelling fail.

Edited by AlternateMew

Just a thought, maybe make the Help section like the TGT thread. Only mods answering question to avoid gazillion answers that can be fuzzy/wrong/misguiding/etc.

Though that leave more work to the mods. >.<

Combine the mentoring thread with the help thread with only qualified mentors answering questions-- give them a "half mod" status so they can close threads etc.

( the guy who asked the same question 4 times after it was answered is only trying to add posts- not get help)

EDIT: adding some"half mods" to the description approving process and the dragon requests might also be of benefit-- since the only assigned mod seems to always be in trouble and unavailable dry.gif

A little friendly "chatter " might make newbies less afraid to approach the more experienced with legitimate questions.-- Not pages of it but warning after a couple of conversational posts is not "friendly and welcoming" at all.

Take away the post count entirely- if you want to add perks base it on time not posts.

This negates the need to up ones post count by adding ^^^ ditto to threads, asking inane questions that the answer is already known and having to close news threads because of countless "thanks TJ" posts-- and actually I think the news threads should be just that- news- no commentary period!

A search engine that works for regulars players and not only mods would end a lot of the "duplicate" threads-- though for the life of me I cannot understand how asking a question that was answered more than 10 pages back is considered "duplicate" .

This forum moves very fast, and none of us can be here all the time( food and sleep are often more pressing needs)

Eliminating the sources of real( and perceived) spam and general user frustration might be considered features , but are in reality the best ways to move the atmosphere from mildly hostile and often condescending to a more user friendly one.

Edited by dragonpuck

Hmm...well, as I still consider myself a newbie...

I was quite terrified to start posting here. I came, I read and I saw what I thought to be a forum that didn't suffer fools gladly. So much so that questions I had, I asked on a completely different forum that had a thread made for members here. After a while it was suggested to me that I should to go the 'tiny little questions' thread and start by saying 'I'm sorry, but I've searched and can't find...'

There are still questions I want to ask, but I have to gear myself up.

There's loads of stuff I don't understand here, but as the saying goes: 'Better to have people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt'.

I guess I'll get to where I want to be in the end.

I would love to see a basic chat thread. I think that would probably help a lot of new members settle in.

As for a mature thread, (well, I am 53!) I think that could be implemented fairly easily. On another forum I go to, they made a thread to discuss politics, saying only to go there if you want a serious conversation about the subject, and it's worked very well.

Having said all that, I have had two lovely members offer me help, one a member of ARK, bearing gifts and another about passing eggs, so I do know that it's only a matter of time until I do feel at home here.

That's my twopennorth, anyway.