Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I wouldn't think anyone should post pix of themselves, now that that evil facebook software tries to tag all photos on the web.... sad.gif

It does? D:

Well, my pictures are already on Facebook (thanks, Mom) but yes, what Rhea said. User discretion is advised.

Seriously? @_@ But still, it's up to user discretion.

Yeah, it is. So be VERY discreet..... (I wish to state at this point that I have long, ginger curly hair and am as skinny as a rake. xd.png)

(yeah, RIGHT....)

And yes, that is what facebook would LIKE to do. In fact several countries are taking them to court, so it may not pan out the way they want....

If you DO post pix here, at least don't post your real name.....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Most mods are around 18-20ish I think?

I'm older than most of our mods, younger than a few of them. I'm a 27 year old parent of two. My kids arent old enough to be in a forum setting but if they were, they would not be in OUR forum. This forum isnt as kid friendly as it could be, but if it was people probably wouldnt use it. I'm ok with some of the more mature topics we have, but i choose to avoid the section because I dont agree with some of the topics that have been allowed. The problem with having a mature area isnt our userbase: its that there isnt really anything in place to ensure people are the ages they claim to be. There are a lot of risk factors when allowing a section like that on a "kid friendly" game forum. Of course I am rather biased when it comes to kids being on the internet anyhow (due to the jobs certain cops in my family do).

I think I might be the oldest mod, I'm 46. I'm very leery of having a more mature section on forum just because I'd like the forum to be more kid friendly.

I think I might be the oldest mod, I'm 46. I'm very leery of having a more mature section on forum just because I'd like the forum to be more kid friendly.

But having a separate section would isolate all the "worst" stuff. It'd pretty much be GD but with all the more heated/mature topics in a separate area.

As Thuban said, there really is no way to ensure people are the age they say they are so young kids would still be able to go to the mature section. I'm just not convinced that a forum for a kid friendly game needs a mature section.

I think I might be the oldest mod, I'm 46.  I'm very leery of having a more mature section on forum just because I'd like the forum to be more kid friendly.

Nice to know we have here mature mods like you smile.gif

and I agree.People under certain ages(like under 18) shouldn't have access to some parts in this forum.

Edited by Alexiel Dragoness

If a kid lies about his age to get into a R-rated movie-- and is subsequently scarred for life due to the content-- it's no one's fault but their own. They lied and forfeited any safety measures put in to protect them in the first place.

So, if a mature section were implemented and required a certain age to access it (or whatever), I don't think worrying about how it will affect the lying young kids will benefit anyone. Natural security measures are great, but if they are chosen to be ignored then that's the general risk of the internet =o

Oh,now AFTER I leave my feedback here,they really did remove! awesome!

But if I didn't say a thing here,I bet the insults would still be there.

TJ would be contacted about this matter.

I don't have nothing against no one; I like and respect every mod and I really appreciate the hard work they have to put this forum in line.I respect everyone here in this forum,even the ones that call me names. So the person that is wrong here is not me.

And Marie19R,things that might be insults I'm fine with them,but I'm not with real rude and dirty,as * * * * *,or other names.You won't read it because I putted the stars on purpose,but thus you can Imagine what I mean.You don't getting the idea of "group" because you're already inside it wink.gif by this I only mean that you are very acostumated to the way things work here,so maybe you won't be able to understand throught a newbie's view(and I'm not as newbie as I were!)

Oh,and rhea,that topic is completed and moved to the progress list a long time ago.

As a moderator/warden on a totally different forum I need to point out that the moderators are not all-seeing people. They don't have the time to read every single post in every single thread in order to weed out comments.

So a lot of times it may not be that they are ignoring posts, it's that they don't SEE the posts.

That's why there's a report button. It helps report inappropriate behavior to the moderators so they can go check it out and then do something about it.

But that's not instantaneous, and usually involves a few steps and talking to other mods before making the steps to lock a thread or edit posts.

If a kid lies about his age to get into a R-rated movie-- and is subsequently scarred for life due to the content-- it's no one's fault but their own. They lied and forfeited any safety measures put in to protect them in the first place.

So, if a mature section were implemented and required a certain age to access it (or whatever), I don't think worrying about how it will affect the lying young kids will benefit anyone. Natural security measures are great, but if they are chosen to be ignored then that's the general risk of the internet =o

This, pretty much. I mean, if there're here, they have access to other internets as well...

I'd say a random google search is more likely to "scar" a kid than this forum.

I'd say a random google search is more likely to "scar" a kid than this forum.[/color]

This, so much this.

I also agree strongly on what Nine said. It's your own fault if you, for example, are young (too young for an R rated movie) and you watch an R rated movie knowing that there is a reason it received such a rating. If the content scars you for life, well, sucks for you, kid. Shouldn't have seen it in the first place :/

If there is going to be a heavily enforced age limit for every member of every website, then there should be one for the entire internet overall, pretty much. Nowadays kids are being educated at younger and younger ages of the dangers/risks of the internet, and it's nobody's fault but their own if they, for example, google something inappropriate.

None of that means the forums for a pixel dragon collecting game are prime real-estate to set up an environment for the adult-only crowd. Just check out the "M-rated games" thread to see how many pre-teens are firmly convinced that 18+ is something they are ready for and thus would absolutely lie about their age to get in to see.

Everywhere isn't the appropriate place for every thing. Even on the Internet, there are parks and playgrounds where one just doesn't set up a screening for an R-rated movie, and neither does one bring the kids to an R-rated movie and let them play board games; there is nothing wrong with either, but there is a lack of civility in mixing them.

None of that means the forums for a pixel dragon collecting game are prime real-estate to set up an environment for the adult-only crowd.  Just check out the "M-rated games" thread to see how many pre-teens are firmly convinced that 18+ is something they are ready for and thus would absolutely lie about their age to get in to see.

Everywhere isn't the appropriate place for every thing.  Even on the Internet, there are parks and playgrounds where one just doesn't set up a screening for an R-rated movie, and neither does one bring the kids to an R-rated movie and let them play board games; there is nothing wrong with either, but there is a lack of civility in mixing them.

I do think that you've expressed my feelings quite well.

On the one hand, no, it's not necessarily reasonable to attempt to preserve the entirety of these forums as totally kid-safe and innocuous territory, or to pretend that by doing so we could prevent those who should not see such things (because they're not ready, not comfortable, not allowed, whatever) from seeing them if they wanted to seek them out anyway.

But. There's a difference between acknowledging that we can't make the DC forums all fluffiness and sunshine (nor would it necessarily be desirable if we could), and that there is a fairly large mature/adult crowd here, and essentially setting up a sign that says "Yes, this is the appropriate place for these discussions."

But then... even so, it would still depend upon exactly to what extent such a section would be "Mature" or "R-rated"--what topics would be allowed under that heading, and how that discussion would be handled.

I don't know. In general, I'm just not sure having such a section would help more than it would hurt.

Edited by Imbecamiel

I don't really think an "R-rated" or "no kids allowed" section would be the best idea...

However, I *would* like to see a different subforum specifically for "mature/serious" stuff. Like, instead of the "Gay Marriage/Rights" and "Animal Abuse" topics mixing in with the "fast food" and "Which came first egg or chicken?" topics, maybe it would be better to have an actual part of the forum for that more serious talk.

It doesn't have to be "R" or restricted, but just a way to show that "hey, this part of the forum contains opinions and topics that may be controversial". Instead of mixing it all in with "general" random talk.

I'm 21. =) And I'm with Thuban in saying that I wouldn't let my sister come on the forums since it isn't as kid friendly as some people think.

Though I do love discussing some more controversial issues, I don't find that DC is the place where I want to do such a thing. I like it being more on a kid friendly side, then being on a side where it isn't.

As for kids lying about their age... I find the best way to avoid that is to not tempt them to do so to get into a section. >.> Though some lie anyway, at least for most of this content, it doesn't matter if you're 13 or 40...

Nice to know we have here mature mods like you smile.gif

and I agree.People under certain ages (like under 18) shouldn't have access to some parts in this forum.

This forum is set up as an adjunct to a game which is very well suited to pre-teens. I don't want any young person to think they aren't welcome here - and I don't think any young person seems to have an issue. It seems to be parents and adults who are getting excited about it (I am in my 60s, by the way biggrin.gif) If you join a forum you should NOT be denied access to parts of it. (Unless it is one of those forums where some areas are only available to paying members... that is a whole different issue.) And anyway - there is no way to know who is what age.

I don't really think an "R-rated" or "no kids allowed" section would be the best idea...

However, I *would* like to see a different subforum specifically for "mature/serious" stuff. Like, instead of the "Gay Marriage/Rights" and "Animal Abuse" topics mixing in with the "fast food" and "Which came first egg or chicken?" topics, maybe it would be better to have an actual part of the forum for that more serious talk.

It doesn't have to be "R" or restricted, but just a way to show that "hey, this part of the forum contains opinions and topics that may be controversial". Instead of mixing it all in with "general" random talk.

IF we need such a subforum (see above for my views on that, but I know I am in a tiny minority !!) - well, in another forum I am on, we have one (it was actually set up between ADULTS when some got offended by the religious views of others and demanded they be modded out !!!) which is called "socio-political" and is hidden by default in the front-page menu; you need to specifically allow it to show up from within your board settings. It comes with a brief warning that people accessing it may find some of the views expressed controversial and/or offensive.

Doing that would mean that most young people wouldn't bother to LOOK for it, so wouldn't know it was even THERE. So if they DID set it up to show - well, if they are prepared to go to those lengths, let them in; they will find far worse with google. And young people are NOT that easily traumatised by seeing discussion of abortion and god. If it descends into bullying, the mods can deal with that - and adults are as susceptible to that as children are. And, as we often see, make more fuss instead of shrugging it off.

OR - have one that is password protected and you can only gain access after a certain number of posts and with the permission of a mod (you'd have to apply to one...)

I do realise that some twits would borrow passwords, but - well, then they have only themselves to blame... and that serves to emphasise what almost everyone is pointing out - that there is no way to enforce anything in all this.

Edited by fuzzbucket

i don't think a dragon click pet site needs a mature section. if you want to discuss mature stuff there are plenty of forums dedicated to them. just search for mature forums. you can talk about anything mature

everyone pointing out that it's out there anyway, thats the point it is out there, but at least DC can't be held at all responsible if an angry parent discovers it. legal action has been taken over this sort of stuff. i am 18, i understand the curiosity and did my own lying on other sites as i was curious and struggling with a changing body and racing hormones. i understand all that and to a degree understand how adults may want there own section to talk, but i don't see why we need that HERE. there are plenty of other forums dedicated to adults. and not just ****ography, anything adult.

apart from that.... yeah spoiler tags, that's bout it. i like this forum, the mods are fair and are as much a part of the community as everyone else is, all very friendly and approachable. flare ups are put out quickly. i simply can't complain biggrin.gif

Edited by Keriel

As one of the oldest members.. I just turned 50.. I don't want a 'mature' section here either. This forum is dedicated to the Dragon Cave game, and that should be the focus of the forum. In my opinion, even the General Discussion area is totally off topic and unnecessary.. but it's also popular, so I just don't visit that part of the forum.

If I want to talk about something 'mature' I'll go look for a forum that's dedicated to the topic. I won't be looking for it here, because that type of topic has no business being here.

Out of curiosity, for all those who are saying that no mature section is needed/even GD isn't necessary, what do you think of all the other non-DC specific forums? If these forums should be strictly about Dragon Cave, we should also axe the original works/multimedia section, the roleplay section, forum games, video game/other adoptables discussion...

Or are you (general) just saying that 'real world' discussion holds no place on DC? Because at this point, that's what I'm starting to see.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Out of curiosity, for all those who are saying that no mature section is needed/even GD isn't necessary, what do you think of all the other non-DC specific forums? If these forums should be strictly about Dragon Cave, we should also axe the original works/multimedia section, the roleplay section, forum games, video game/other adoptables discussion...

Or are you (general) just saying that 'real world' discussion holds no place on DC? Because at this point, that's what I'm starting to see.

Like Cinnamin, I don't see any reason for them ('real world' discussion threads) to be here - but they are apparently popular, and as they don't impinge upon me at all, I just ignore them.

But adding a mature section really does seem OTT to me. Not least because there ARE so many younger members here.

Like Cinnamin, I don't see any reason for them ('real world' discussion threads) to be here - but they are apparently popular, and as they don't impinge upon me at all, I just ignore them.

But adding a mature section really does seem OTT to me. Not least because there ARE so many younger members here.

Why is there any less reason for real world discussion, though? People here have lives, they'll want to talk about them or aspects of them. People will want opinions on current events. Yes, there are other forums out there for this kind of thing, but what if the majority of people don't want to have to go join a completely new forum, have to find a whole new set of friends, etc?

I'm really just baffled at how, in a game with a huge number of teen and adult players, people can say that there's no need for topics like religion or whatever. Even if we get rid of GD (and any other non-DC areas. And yes, I know the main opinion is 'I don't like it but I'll deal with it', which I completely respect. I'm still just hanging on the 'DC only' aspect), it'll just come up somewhere else. Take some of the debates on egg freezing, killing dragons, etc. I've seen quite a few of those turn into ethical debates alone.

Yes. There are younger players here. But they shouldn't be on the forums to begin with. If they've lied about their age or a parent's lied for them, well, it's the parent's fault if the kid is exposed to anything. Those of you who say you'd keep your younger relatives away, well, good for you. Just stick to it.

ETA: ... also, I apologize xd.png That came out way rantier than I meant D:

Edited by Dr. Paine

Why is there any less reason for real world discussion, though? People here have lives, they'll want to talk about them or aspects of them. People will want opinions on current events. Yes, there are other forums out there for this kind of thing, but what if the majority of people don't want to have to go join a completely new forum, have to find a whole new set of friends, etc?

I'm really just baffled at how, in a game with a huge number of teen and adult players, people can say that there's no need for topics like religion or whatever. Even if we get rid of GD (and any other non-DC areas. And yes, I know the main opinion is 'I don't like it but I'll deal with it', which I completely respect. I'm still just hanging on the 'DC only' aspect), it'll just come up somewhere else. Take some of the debates on egg freezing, killing dragons, etc. I've seen quite a few of those turn into ethical debates alone.

Yes. There are younger players here. But they shouldn't be on the forums to begin with. If they've lied about their age or a parent's lied for them, well, it's the parent's fault if the kid is exposed to anything. Those of you who say you'd keep your younger relatives away, well, good for you. Just stick to it.

ETA: ... also, I apologize xd.png That came out way rantier than I meant D:

That's the kind of reason I say I ignore those threads but that I don't object to them, even though I don't value them myself. I'm not for one moment saying get rid of GD - as I said, it is popular, and so fair enough.

But younger members - what is the age limit here ? is there one ?

There are hundreds - maybe thousands - of perfectly legitimate members on this board who are (in the views of many adults here) too young to see some of the things posted here. But why should they lose out on a forum - the only forum - where they can ask game related questions, because some people want to be allowed to chat about sex, religion and politics and other things their parents don't/may not want them to see ?

There are many places to discuss these things on line. But yes, I realise people here want to talk to others here about all sorts. Those members just - IMHO - need to realise that some topics are perhaps not OK, because it IS an all ages site.

ETA ninja.gif no worries - many of us have strong feelings and it only came over as one of them. Like mine, probably xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

There may be few exceptions, but the youngest any forum is legally allowed to accept is thirteen years of age. I know Neopets used to have a thing parents could print out and fax/mail to them, to allow younger members to the forum; and even then access was severely limited (like, restricted to game help/FAQs) until like, sixteen or eighteen.

Quite honestly, if DC could implement something like that, it might help. I am in full agreement with sections of the forum limited by age, and are completely hidden otherwise. Yes, it can still be gotten around, but it is a solution that still allows younger players to get help, while adding an extra measure of protection for any unsavory content.

There may be few exceptions, but the youngest any forum is legally allowed to accept is thirteen years of age. I know Neopets used to have a thing parents could print out and fax/mail to them, to allow younger members to the forum; and even then access was severely limited (like, restricted to game help/FAQs) until like, sixteen or eighteen.

Quite honestly, if DC could implement something like that, it might help. I am in full agreement with sections of the forum limited by age, and are completely hidden otherwise. Yes, it can still be gotten around, but it is a solution that still allows younger players to get help, while adding an extra measure of protection for any unsavory content.

There's a law ? In which country ? and how on EARTH is it enforced ? blink.gif

Anyway - 13 is fine with me, though there are a couple here who have publicly admitted to being younger than that. But why do we need unsavoury content anyway ?

There's a law ? In which country ? and how on EARTH is it enforced ? blink.gif

Anyway - 13 is fine with me, though there are a couple here who have publicly admitted to being younger than that. But why do we need unsavoury content anyway ?

Quite honestly, that's about all I know xd.png I haven't looked into it completely, but I believe it is to comply with COPPA... I know the Chicken Smoothie foums have blocks on COPPA users, like they can't send (and maybe can't receive) trade messages, and they may be blocked from certain parts of the forum.