Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Well, I'm still wondering on how one is admitted to the mature subforum. Would they send in a request to a mod for a pass, or at any time given admittance by the mods?

As I see it, a mod would go through a little run of the members previous posts, and based on their actions would be given permission or not. There be a little warn system, and set on a certain amount of warns on bad behavior, they would then be banned temporarily from the mature content. I'd say after about two outbreaks, the said user would be given a temporary ban. After 1-3 week ban, user is given 1 more chance until total ban. As a young user myself, I think it is possible that younger users can behave properly in mature situations. Age discrimination is annoying and why some may hide their age from the public.

But I worry this may increase the amount of pms a mod receives. And as far as I know, they may have many each day.

Tbh. past actions do not always reflect on who the person is now.

because people would quote a post that quoted a post that quoted a post, etc.... Quoting a key phrase here and there from a few different posts is one thing, having to read 4 pages worth of full on quotes in a single post only to find they just added a single sentence is horrible to deal with.

That is still possible with quoting at all but these forums erase quoted parts in a post when quoting, usually, so I still don't see the problem.

The PM's are the only area where quotes stack and even then most people clean up after it gets to be cumbersome.

Tbh. past actions do not always reflect on who the person is now.

But what about recent posts or warns? And if that doesn't satisfy you, I'm sure there are other ways a mod could test a user.

Er, that's pyramid quotes. I think what cwg is talking about is what happens in debates, when people address multiple posts in one post.

That is what I think was meant also. Sometimes you want to reply to posts by 3 or 4 people all in one post. As it is now, it is very troublesome to do that.

Nested posts of a post within a post within a post is something entirely different, and I see the reason for not allowing those.

But what about recent posts or warns? And if that doesn't satisfy you, I'm sure there are other ways a mod could test a user.

My main point was being 'accepted" into a group will cause a lot of heated and mad people.

Also, I could think someone is mature, yet a mod could think they are arrogent and rude.

I have no idea, _Z_. Some people CAN lie about their age.

Ninjad

Edited by wonton55912

Whispyr- All I can say is that this will be figured out soon... But I feel there would a select group of users who can judge a user carefully and well.

If we had to individually screen every person, it'd be a nightmare load of work for us. I'll just leave it at that.

Not that I'm for this mature subsection at all, but individual screening would not be the way to go about it.

I think that since this is a PG-13 forum though, a mature section is not appropriate. I think it would benefit us all more to clarify the rules about what PG-13 means than it would to add in a mature subsection. If you want to discuss mature topics, there are other sites for that where there aren't younger users.

That is what I think was meant also. Sometimes you want to reply to posts by 3 or 4 people all in one post. As it is now, it is very troublesome to do that.

Nested posts of a post within a post within a post is something entirely different, and I see the reason for not allowing those.

Yes it is.

Oh I hate those. I mean SOMETIMES, on a rare occasion or two, it could be useful but usually it just looks bad (to put it lightly).

Edited by crazywargod

I don't see why, just because the forum is labeled as PG-13, there can't be a mature section. Everywhere else, yes, that rule would apply, but that would be why a separate section - with a warning/disclaimer - exists. Simply saying "go elsewhere" just doesn't really... I mean, say, since this forum is the DC forum, why not take all the chatter about other games elsewhere? etc.

I'd also just like to say that, from what I've seen, the forums and the people here have a lot to offer and to teach. There are so many people here of varying races, religions, sexualities and such, that being here and participating on the forums... it's not only a place to chatter, but a place to learn. I feel that the more "mature" topics in GD have helped a lot of people, and would hate to see them phased out simply because of this absolute necessity of being PG-13 and not allowing a mature section.

If we had to individually screen every person, it'd be a nightmare load of work for us. I'll just leave it at that.

Not that I'm for this mature subsection at all, but individual screening would not be the way to go about it.

I think that since this is a PG-13 forum though, a mature section is not appropriate. I think it would benefit us all more to clarify the rules about what PG-13 means than it would to add in a mature subsection. If you want to discuss mature topics, there are other sites for that where there aren't younger users.

Discussing things like that with everyone in GD who would discuss that kind of thing with the idea you had would require making another forum and getting them all to congregate there and be as active there as they are here. That's almost impossible.

That was my thought as well. I have always been under the impression that DC is rather family oriented. If we have things like censorkip.gif in place to filter out questionable language that says the site is geared to the younger person and having a mature subforum wouldn't fit it. In essence it changes the rating of the main forum itself.

Just my two cents for what its worth.

There needs to be some sort of dragon cave chat that is linked from the forum and isn't IRC based.

Discussing things like that with everyone in GD who would discuss that kind of thing with the idea you had would require making another forum and getting them all to congregate there and be as active there as they are here. That's almost impossible.

Say what? I didn't suggest making a whole other forum and moving all mature topics there at all. I simply stated a fact; there are other websites completely unrelated to DC where mature topics can be discussed. This simply isn't the place for it though.

And that's about as impossible as it would be to screen users to enter the mature subforum or have mature topics on a PG-13 forum, so there's a wall of impossibility on both sides.

What's impossible about having a Mature section on a elsewhere/otherwise PG-13 forum? It's not like they "corrupt" other topics in the forum, lul. It would be sectioned off and have a warning.

Say what? I didn't suggest making a whole other forum and moving all mature topics there at all. I simply stated a fact; there are other websites completely unrelated to DC where mature topics can be discussed. This simply isn't the place for it though.

And that's about as impossible as it would be to screen users to enter the mature subforum or have mature topics on a PG-13 forum, so there's a wall of impossibility on both sides.

My point is part of the reason we discuss these things here instead of somewhere else is we like the people here. It's a lose/lose situation. Either we pack up and go discuss that stuff elsewhere and we can't discuss it publically with the people we want to or we don't discuss it at all.

At least for me personally, I'm against a screening process entirely. I don't feel like it should be screened, although maybe with people with warnings aren't permitted?

Why not people with warns?

Back up the rest of what you said, though.

Because I feel like if someone is gonna be participating in a mature discussion, they should be more careful with their posts and make sure they understand the rules clearly.

What's impossible about having a Mature section on a elsewhere/otherwise PG-13 forum? It's not like they "corrupt" other topics in the forum, lul. It would be sectioned off and have a warning.

This, it wouldn't be impossible.

I've seen it done on another site, where they had general rules more and then they had an "adult" section that was password-restricted and you had to have the approval of the creator of the site himself go get it. It was a fairly large community, too.

@WPK: I wouldn't like the idea of people with warns being banned. What if they had one warn from way back when they first joined? That would be unfair to them.

Things get heated, people forget things, etc.

There's already posting moderation and posting bans for people who get high warns. Why should there be an additional restriction on this particular section?

This, it wouldn't be impossible.

I've seen it done on another site, where they had general rules more and then they had an "adult" section that was password-restricted and you had to have the approval of the creator of the site himself go get it.  It was a fairly large community, too.

@WPK:  I wouldn't like the idea of people with warns being banned.  What if they had one warn from way back when they first joined?  That would be unfair to them.

Nonono, I didn't mean permanently. I more meant if you have an existing warn. Sorry I wasn't clear. If your warn level is at 0%, of course you should have access.

Rhea: As I said, I feel like if there's gonna be a mature subforum, they should handle themselves maturely and keep what's allowed in mind.

Edited by War Pig Killer

And if their warn is from another section?

It just seems rather unnecessary. The warns already work in their own little way, adding extra on them is just...

And if their warn is from another section?

It just seems rather unnecessary. The warns already work in their own little way, adding extra on them is just...

Hmm.. That's a very good point. I think you're right then - it's impossible to track which warn came from which section for everybody, so maybe it's better to not have such a screening process at all.

re. mature section:

One thought is that rather than having a "Mature" section that only certain people can view, is simply sectioning GD into something like "Serious Discussion" and "Random Discussion." Random Discussion being for threads like pets, favorite foods, etc, and Serious Discussion being for threads like religion, abortion, politics, etc. The forum description for Serious Discussion could state that it contained mature topics and discussion.

Other things: Yes plz to larger inbox, more characters in the signature, sig preview, and multiquotes. Also more BBCode functions would be much appreciated, especially spoiler tags. I also find myself missing noparse tags from time to time.... so much more streamlined than putting things in the code box.

Also, while on the topic of new forum subsections, what about all those threads that aren't really games but could lead to spam? IIRC there was discussion of a "Miscellaneous" area which would be in Games/Games would be in it.