Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Devil's Advocate.

If the censor were turned off, the mods would have to spend SO much time modding silly uses of the word censorkip.gif (pick your fave) that they would have less time to deal with real issues like censorkip.gif and flaming - which DOES happen here, and which DOES need their attention.

Cussing isn't needed. Why not just - don't do it ? (and yes I am very old and all that - but I was warned at WORK at times for using bad language. And that was only among adults - no PG13 issue there. I am no holy clean-mouthed person. But there are places for cussing - and this isn't one of them.)

I don't think people want to remove the censor because they want to cuss up a storm. It's more like if they accidentally say something such as, for example, 'fag', they wont get warned for censor evasion. Well at least, that's my thoughts. ^^;

Anyway, in regards to PG-13, I am starting to see why it's so hard to enforce. I think too that a lot of people use the excuse of not understanding the guidelines as a means to get out of trouble. People, in general, do not like to blame themselves for their own actions, and rather they look for anyone else to blame.

I am not saying that that is always the case, but I think it might contribute a little here.

Regardless, while everyone wants clearer guidelines, I think it's going to be impossible to address everything, so I think what you guys (in general) need to do is write a list of situations where things need to be clarified on. The mods can't really do anything to make changes if you guys don't actually point out, in general, what you would like to see changed, yanno?

For me, I'd like to know what are warnable offences and them to be listed. I know we do have one, but it seems a bit less comprehensive than it should be. That, and because it's been updated so often, a user like myself who has been around 2 1/2 years won't know when to go back and read it if it's not made clear that the rules have been altered.

Sure the situation isn't going to always be the same, and no one should just treat a personal account as a completely perfect solution (since there's really no such thing),

Actually, that's exactly what I see and exactly what I'm sick of. People use one example or outlier as solid, undeniable, strong proof. It's really not. One instance should not set the standard and be the only evidence to judge by. Read what I said again: personal observation as strong evidence. It's when people take one extraordinary or one of many possible ways and promote it as the best or only reasonable way.

Have I ever said "Stop bringing in viable suggestions, we don't want your input"? No.

Beyond that, why do we need to discuss changes to the guidelines via PM?

Quoting myself. :u

No, but that was just an idea. Concrete ideas should be posted here so anyone can see them and give input, but if you don't want to be public about it or don't know how to best word it, we can probably help. It's an option, not the end-all-be-all.

On the note of the nanny stuff - members mentioned that first. The mods found it funny and joked about it because, no, we don't think of ourselves as nannies. I don't relate myself to a nanny. I don't feel like a nanny. So we found it funny.

I'm sincerely sorry that it offended so many people.

I take full responsibility for all the nanny signatures and avatars about. I am sorry. I assure you, all my avatars, signatures, and posts will be professional from now on.

I only caught a glimpse of the nanny sigs and I have to say I like it when the mods get together and have a theme in their sigs. Same way I like when some members get together and have a common theme. *cough*MyLittlePony*coughcough*

It gives a feeling of a community.

/thoughts from an oddball

Edited by CatCreature

On the note of the nanny stuff - members mentioned that first. The mods found it funny and joked about it because, no, we don't think of ourselves as nannies. I don't relate myself to a nanny. I don't feel like a nanny. So we found it funny.

Personally, I found/find the nanny siggies cute and don't really understand how they would be, but I'm not the best at understanding these things. In my opinion, it's no more offensive than the My Little Pony avatars and siggies taking over the forum.

Derp. Edited wording. Didn't mean to make anybody angry ):

Intended meaning is still the same. I changed like, four words.

Edited by dragon_mando

I personally found it offensive, but I have my reasons.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if you weren't offended by them. That's cool, your sense of humour obviously found it funny and/or cute. However, quite a few people (I've seen anyway) were offended for whatever reason they have.

Please don't ostracize people (and this is general, not just to you Mando) because they are offended by something that you personally find funny.

How is saying they didn't find it funny ostracize people? If that's ostracizing people, isn't it also ostracizing people to say that it offended people?

As for PM'ing - I said to PM us about stricter guidelines, because then that makes sure we get it. I didn't mean you had to do it alone or keep it secret. I meant if you wanted to present it to a mod, then to PM it to a mod.

For me, I'd like to know what are warnable offences and them to be listed.

What do you feel isn't covered by the rules that we could clear up?

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Sorry Skinst, didn't mean to word that as harshly as I guess I did, hopefully my rephrasing is closer to what I meant, as well as better worded. I just meant that my own brain was having trouble wrapping around the concept, not that anyone else was necessarily wrong.

At the mods, please, please, PLEASE don't come up with a different censor. The censorkip.gif and alot.png are adorable, I think :3 and much more original than just asterisks or whatnot. It certainly makes more sense than nixing the censors. Even if there were to be a section at some point for more mature discussion, it would need to be just that: mature. There isn't really room for cussing in something of that nature.

If there IS a mature section (which seems to be completely up in the air at this point), 's there any way to nix the censoring of the word ****ography in that particular section? Edited by RheaZen

How is saying they didn't find it funny ostracize people? If that's ostracizing people, isn't it also ostracizing people to say that it offended people?

Post I was addressing was edited.

What do you feel isn't covered by the rules that we could clear up?

From previous experience? I mentioned earlier in the thread to maybe clarify on what is classified as rudeness, as it seems to be highly subjective.

ATM that's all I have, but I'm sure others have more.

Personally, I found/find the nanny siggies cute and don't really understand how they would be, but I'm not the best at understanding these things. In my opinion, it's no more offensive than the My Little Pony avatars and siggies taking over the forum.

LESS. I HATE all the My Little Ponies, myself.

And I don't mean to ostracise anyone by saying that. The nannies had a "meaning"; were a reference to something, a little joke - MLPs are just - icky.

IMNVHO.

Post I was addressing was edited.

From previous experience? I mentioned earlier in the thread to maybe clarify on what is classified as rudeness, as it seems to be highly subjective.

ATM that's all I have, but I'm sure others have more.

Ah, I missed that little line on the post. My apologies.

Thank you. I shall bring that to other mods and see if we can come up with something.

The forum is great, but if there is one thing it will be the best.

If there is an option for multi quote that would be great.

The forum is great, but if there is one thing it will be the best.

If there is an option for multi quote that would be great.

That came up earlier in the thread - it isn't available in the invision softtware we are using and TJ said that he has doubts about upgrading to get it. I don't blame him; the other invision forum I'm on, where we do have that, had a very bad time when THEY upgraded - and they lost some of the facilities we have here - like autotracking for PMs.... It always seems to be win some lose some. No-one ever seems to actually improve - as in keeping the good bits and adding to them. sad.gif

So you want forum feedback? Well, my experience has been that this is an unfriendly place to be in that if you don't know every single little rule in every topic then you get a warn. And there are a LOT of rules. In my opinion, warns are given out way too easily. For instances, someone asked a question in the Easter egg topic (I think that was the one.) that didn't really have anything to do with the topic, but it didn't hijack the topic. I answered it, got a warn, and I'm assuming every other person who answered it got a warn, too. I know for sure that the person that posed the question also got warned. I later saw in another topic that the mod who gave me the warn was answering questions that didn't have anything to do with the topic. Do the mods get warns, too? I now shake in my boots every time I think of posting something and think, "Oh, I better not do that. I'm sure it's against some rule."

Also, I thought that spam was an unwanted advertisement and couldn't for the life of me figure out why someone would put an advertisement in their post. It was some time before I knew that "spam" on DC meant something off topic. (By the way, if you do a search on spam, nothing comes up. I think it's because the word spam is too short or some such.)

And, let me guess, I've probably done something wrong again that will get me another warn.

Spam is defined very clearly in the forum rules - link is at the top of every page. And I've had warns in my time (I have one now, actually...) but you get the way things are run here soon enough. It is pretty friendly except when it isn't. Just like every forum I am on !

I always thought spam was unwanted email which was irrelevant to me - so I suppose unwanted posts would fit. The Easter egg thing did get pretty dull when everyone was saying where are they, what happened and the rest; it meant it was impossible to keep tabs on what WAS happening.... Same the other day with the cave down thing. So may people were just posting "I WANT TO SEE MY DRAGONS" that the thread had to be closed.

But I dug up definitions on line - as well as junk email, I found:

spam is an endless repetition of worthless text.

junk newsgroup postings.

Don't worry, be happy. It's a nice place really !

The nannies had a "meaning"; were a reference to something, a little joke - MLPs are just - icky.

This is where you're wrong. The MLP post-sets started in the artists' section. It was an in-joke among us, and it was quickly taken out of context and expanded like mad all over the whole forum. ;3 For a while about 10 of us had them.

So fouramz feedback? I'd love to see a dragon-themed oekaki section. 8D It'd be REALLY rad if it was all done in pixel art so people could work together on sprites for fun. I honestly think the 'requests' section has morphed into 'dragon factory' and is less about requesting ideas to see in dragon breeds than it is about churning out lots and lots of content. IMO it's kind of reached the end of its utility. I think dragon oekaki will give people a place to work on sprites together for fun.

This is where you're wrong. The MLP post-sets started in the artists' section. It was an in-joke among us, and it was quickly taken out of context and expanded like mad all over the whole forum. ;3 For a while about 10 of us had them.

So fouramz feedback? I'd love to see a dragon-themed oekaki section. 8D It'd be REALLY rad if it was all done in pixel art so people could work together on sprites for fun. I honestly think the 'requests' section has morphed into 'dragon factory' and is less about requesting ideas to see in dragon breeds than it is about churning out lots and lots of content. IMO it's kind of reached the end of its utility. I think dragon oekaki will give people a place to work on sprites together for fun.

I isn't wrong that they is icky. MLPs are icky to me. I just hate them. Joke or not !

I concede willingly on the fact that they have history and therefore relevance. Thanks for that.

And I couldn't agree more about the dragon factory section. dry.gif

this forum dosent do anything that reflects on the game i bet most good dragons and bsas are rejected all the bsas i liked are rejected

this forum is poorly run and MOST OF ALL TOOO STRICT

Bsa's are usually only rejected when they don't make sense. Dragons are only rejected if they contain cultural or age references or if they don't look the part to be added to the cave. Makes perfect sense to me. smile.gif

Dunno if this was mentioned, but it would be nice if there was quick edit feature.

The intended purpose of this topic was to address complaints, of the forum being unfriendly to new members.

Some members perceive the DC forum as cold.

Most everything I have read lately, doesn't address this issue.

In reply to the Spam complaint. Spam is spam it is clearly defined in the board rules. If you know your posting spam, it is pointless to complain about being warned.

The intended purpose of this topic was to address complaints, of the forum being unfriendly to new members.

Some members perceive the DC forum as cold.

This starts when you first intruduce yourself.

OK, the tips are ok. but noone really says - hi, nice you are here or anything nice as a welcome.

You just get the standard postings. A few PMs advertising Fan-Sites and thats it.

Intruduce yourself and get a whole bunch of rules as an answer. Nothing that gives you the feeling - welcome.

Also the rule, that the scroll should be in the signature. Why ?, when half the members do not have their scroll in their signature. Even when the signature has the scroll - you get the post - put the scroll in. Doesn't make things really personel.

I do understand, when you write the same things all day, that you can copy it from somewhere into the post. But I think a few changes to make things more "inviting" would help. What do people do, that check in the forum first and then collect eggs/dragons. They do not have a scroll yet. OK - impossible to check this, but why is it a rule ?

At the beginning I was afraid to post anything, because I saw so many rules, I thought, before I do something wrong - I'll hold my fingers still and write nothing.

We have addressed the complaints from members concerning the CP posts, many times.

Most members that complain about them, do not welcome members. Members need to ask themselves, How many times do I post in Introductions?

We tell members to link their scrolls in their signatures:

1. They are new, asking questions, and we need to see their scrolls to answer most of the time.

2. It helps avoid warning them for scroll spam.

3. If the do not have a scroll or don't choose to add it, they do not have to.

Every new members topic is checked, to see if they already have their scroll in their signatures. If so they are not asked to add it, what you see is members complying and adding the link, after reading the CP welcome.

Putting your scroll in your signature isn't a rule. It is a helpful tip for a lot of new players, who are struggling to find views and sign up with their scroll or eggs in their intro post. :3

Earlier in this thread we actually had that copy'pasta intro discussion. People said they liked the mod copy'pasta's, but disliked all the repeating information. That's why there's now a sticky in intros for people to make sure they aren't posting the same links.

When I post in intros, I try just to say hi, because I know other people have the links that some new users find hard to find on the forum handy. I think if all the people that don't like the copy'pastas would pop in to the intro section more to just say hi and welcome to the forum, maybe that would help? :3