Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

No - I don't MIND it being there - I just don't see a huge need to take it that step further.

Of course you don't. You don't use the section.

So unless you do, which you don't, do you really think it's going to affect you whether the section exists or not?

So unless you do, which you don't, do you really think it's going to affect you whether the section exists or not?

What the forum features will have an affect on what sort of people use the site. If the forum has an area specifically for people who want to have serious debate about things, the forum will be (or at least seem) more friendly to those sorts of people, and they will be more inclined to stick around rather than find some other game to play.

It's similar to the arguments against using items to ascend dragons. Any change is a step in a direction, no matter how small. If people don't want the site to move in that direction, they won't like the change, regardless of whether they will actually have to deal with the change itself or not.

What the forum features will have an affect on what sort of people use the site. If the forum has an area specifically for people who want to have serious debate about things, the forum will be (or at least seem) more friendly to those sorts of people, and they will be more inclined to stick around rather than find some other game to play.

Eh, I don't really think so. For the most part a lot of us keep the debate stuff in the debate threads, and I know a lot of people who post almost exclusively in GD. DC/SD has its own special sort of drama :P

I'm very interested in what exactly people would want to see in a "restricted" part of the forum. I realize that topics are heavily moderated for inappropriateness, but if you (general you) aren't talking about violence/sex/etc, then what exactly do you mean?

Because I'm not a heavy GD-er, but I do post over there, and I've posted in topics about gay marriage rights, mental illness, etc... So I honestly don't see a need for a seperate section just for more serious topics.

Some things can get a bit more "out of line." The best example would be the sex thread. Previously it was closed because it got a bit too in-depth.

Also, some of the more "casual" GDers feel (this is just from memory, so kick me if I'm saying anything wrong) that they'd prefer not having to deal with such serious threads.

Of course you don't. You don't use the section.

No - but that doesn't necessarily mean that any suggestions I might have to make it work (as in the hidden from view unless opted in to) are totally useless to those who DO use it.

I am on other forums where these things have been done in ways that work. I could say I don't give a toss what happens - but as ~!~ says, anything that happens in any one area of any forum does affect other areas. Any changes made won't directly affect me, no, but they will indirectly affect everyone. I would like GD to work as best it can, even though I am not likely to be using it.

It's similar to the arguments against using items to ascend dragons.  Any change is a step in a direction, no matter how small.  If people don't want the site to move in that direction, they won't like the change, regardless of whether they will actually have to deal with the change itself or not.

Which is completely illogical.

No - but that doesn't necessarily mean that any suggestions I might have to make it work (as in the hidden from view unless opted in to) are totally useless to those who DO use it.

Yes, because I totally said you shouldn't suggest something. sleep.gif;

Really, at what point did I say not to make suggestions about how the proposed section works? I simply pointed out that of course you wouldn't see a need for the section because you don't USE the section.

Very big difference.

*Annoyed at having her posts mis-interpreted AGAIN.*

Edited by skinst

Which is completely illogical.

Yes, because I totally said you shouldn't suggest something. sleep.gif;

Really, at what point did I say not to make suggestions about how the proposed section works? I simply pointed out that of course you wouldn't see a need for the section because you don't USE the section.

Very big difference.

*Annoyed at having her posts mis-interpreted AGAIN.*

Skinst, if you re-read the post, and read it as is, there is no hint of someone saying that you suggested that they shouldn't do anything, and she never even hinted at you saying that you told her not to make suggestions.

All she said was even though she doesn't post there, that doesn't make her suggestion any less valid.

No it's not.

Well to me it is.

If you don't use the General Discussion area at all, changes to it are not going to affect you, just as if you were lactose intollerant and they continued to bring out new flavours of cheese that you couldn't eat. Wouldn't affect you because you don't eat it.

Thus, fearing change of something that doesn't affect you AT ALL is illogical in my opinion.

All she said was even though she doesn't post there, that doesn't make her suggestion any less valid.

And if you read mine, I never said it WAS any less valid. ~_~

Mmmph. I'm not even sure why I re-entered this debate.

Well to me it is.

If you don't use the General Discussion area at all, changes to it are not going to affect you, just as if you were lactose intollerant and they continued to bring out new flavours of cheese that you couldn't eat. Wouldn't affect you because you don't eat it.

Thus, fearing change of something that doesn't affect you AT ALL is illogical in my opinion.

For one thing, it would be a lot clearer that something is your opinion when you don't state it as if it's a fact. I think a change to GD could cause a change to the site as a whole, or at least the comunity. I'm not saying it will, I'm just saying it could.

Okay ~!~, answer me this - What other opinion can I give other than my own? Nothing can be a fact without proof. Everything we say in here is hypothetical based on, you guessed it, OUR OPPINIONS.

Edited by skinst

Uh, just going to pop in with another suggestion~ dunno if it's been said yet, though.

Mebbe a center and right alignment for text? I had it on another Invision board, although it was a little different~ it was nice to be able to have text where you wanted it instead of having to have a bunch of space or white x's.

And no fighting/snappiness, yes? ; ^; /sensitive

Thank you, random citizen. :B

Let's tone it down in here. This is really a place to discuss forum attitude, not to debate the semantics of posts. ;3

Uh, just going to pop in with another suggestion~ dunno if it's been said yet, though.

Mebbe a center and right alignment for text? I had it on another Invision board, although it was a little different~ it was nice to be able to have text where you wanted it instead of having to have a bunch of space or white x's.

I would like to see this too on the forums. :3

And you forget about left alignment too! xd.png

(along with less arguing. :3)

Edited by athdaraxen

Butbut.... isn't left alignment the default? xd.png

/clings to Sock

Just a dumb question that might get me another warn for 'censor evasion' , but.... why is 'no offence' replaced with a - ?

I don't see the point since it's not a bad word or swear or cuss. :/

Because it's usually followed by something offensive tongue.gif

At least, that's what the reasoning is I think~

Just a dumb question that might get me another warn for 'censor evasion' , but.... why is 'no offence' replaced with a - ?

It's usually followed by something offensive, so I guess TJ deemed it pointless and censored it. However, I can see how that censor could get annoying {especially in role-playing}.

/fail explanation

ninja.gif 'd by Walker

Edited by satyr76

I THINK it is because it tends to be used when people know perfectly well that they are about to cause offence.

You know - like when your mother says "I don't mean to be RUDE, dear, but you look really fat in that skirt...." dry.gif

Or to put it another way "I don't mean to be rude, but now I will be as rude as I like because I excused myself first...." xd.png

double ninja.gif 'd biggrin.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

It's usually followed by something offensive, so I guess TJ deemed it pointless and censored it. However, I can see how that censor could get annoying {especially in role-playing}.

/fail explanation

ninja.gif 'd by Walker

It does cause issues in RPing, I agree. I've had that happen to me before too.

Because it's usually followed by something offensive tongue.gif

At least, that's what the reasoning is I think~

Yea, but I find the censor pointless. It's like, what?

You say something that can be interpreted in an offensive manner and then you use this expression to wipe out all the suspicions about it being intentionally offensive... K? o.o

I think it's better to leave it be than leave the post sound offensive and attacking when the intention was not it.

Of course, if it's a personal attack on someone that can just be taken care of in a different manner.(this is why we have mods)

Edited by earthgirl

I did not add it into the censor nor do I have an opinion on the matter. I was just giving an explanation like you asked ^-^

If you're saying something that you feel the need to put - after or before, it's probably something that shouldn't be said in the first place or needs re-worded. The censor may just be a "pet peeve" kind of thing. In all honesty, I have absolutely no problems with it, especially if it is something that is being misused in the RP section. :3

If you're saying something that you feel the need to put - after or before, it's probably something that shouldn't be said in the first place or needs re-worded. The censor may just be a "pet peeve" kind of thing. In all honesty, I have absolutely no problems with it, especially if it is something that is being misused in the RP section. :3

HAHAHA! That's not what we mean Sock Goddess. Sometimes when characters talk to each other they use that particular phrase and it gets censored out. People in RP don't use it to abuse other members. It interferes with our actual posting occasionally.