Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Spam, to me is anything that doesn't contribute to the topic.

And I've been fine, so the rules explain it. Maybe it should say that in some sections the idea of spam is different than of others...?

Edited by wonton55912

If you think it's possible that admins using 2 might know, I could ask them ? It's a small and amiable place but I don't know what I am talking about here. biggrin.gif I know they keep it cheap !

If they have an active license, then you could see if it's available in their download area. But if they're still using 2.3, they might not have bothered renewing their license.

Read through the first few pages.

I am completely in favor of a mature section and larger inboxes.

DCF'ers are much more knowledgeable and open, compared to places like...

'hactually, I dunno where else.

Ne'er been there.

I think that being in a certain group, that requires a mod's approval to join, should have access to the mature section.

And larger inboxes because I keep all my PM's as reference.

Wouldn't the warning issue be solved just be stating somewhere in the PM "The warning is not a punishment, just a warning," or other words to that effect?

Wouldn't the warning issue be solved just be stating somewhere in the PM "The warning is not a punishment, just a warning," or other words to that effect?

Possibly. If the problem is people feeling like warns are a punishment or like they're being yelled at, then a "disclaimer" or sorts might make them feel a little better about it.

Possibly. If the problem is people feeling like warns are a punishment or like they're being yelled at, then a "disclaimer" or sorts might make them feel a little better about it.

Isn't that what this pinned topic is for?

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=107675

* What are warnings for?

As upsetting as it can be to get a warn, the warn isn't because mods hate you or dislike you. The warn is simply there as a reminder that you've done something wrong and should keep it in mind so it doesn't happen again. Low warn percentages will probably not earn you any consequences, either, though higher warn percentages can. Consequences can depends on the severity of infractions, which is why we do not have a set warn percentage = this consequence table to put up for users to see.

There's a warning in the Tiny Little Questions thread about saving answers if you want to look for them again, since we keep the thread cleaned. Keeping it clean means that users only have a few pages to look back through for their answer or to see if their question may have already been asked. I usually clean it out every few days so many answers are in there for more than a day. ^^

Maybe a closed thread or a "Game guide" where things could be held that are frequently asked. I do look a lot in Wikia, but I have seen answers much better explained in Tiny Little Questions.

I edit the FAQ quite often and love it when users PM me advice for things they think should be added to the FAQ. If there's ever anything you think needs to be added to the FAQ, please feel free to PM any mod, especially a global or help mod. ^^ As is, I have a few things to add, so I can put this on my list to put somewhere. ^^

I'll remember this and will send you a PM when I come over something, that is, get it better formed. As I left the states words like Spam didn't even exist (nor did Internet).

I am completely in favor of a mature section

I actually like this PG 13 Rule. But, on the board that I admin, we have a restricted area, that you only can reach when you log in. Guests cannot read anything. We did this mostly, because our members are using real names, write often very privat things and we did not want that Mr. Google would find this.

Edited by Troya-Shel

I think the warn system is fine as it is. A warn is a warning, not a punishment, and people should take it as such.

I received a warn once and the reasons were nicely explained by Sock, and that was the moment I really realised how strict the rules were here (and I did read them before that, but on forums there often is a big difference between the set of rules that are written down and how strictly these rules are enforced) and that makes me think more about each post I make. Goal reached!

I sometimes think the strict no-off-topic-spam policy makes this forum a bit 'cold and unsociable' (sometimes it can be nice to be able to just say something funny or give a little compliment or something like that), but then again I really like how most of the threads remain spam-free and I understand that this can only be achieved by being strict.

Allowing no spam sets a much clearer line than allowing 'just a bit of spam'. If you start accepting 'just a bit of spam', where do you draw the line?

One section where I would even like it to be stricter is the news section. When TJ posts something there is always a lot of 'thank you TJ'-posts, which don't contribute to the topic or the forum and so they are spam per the board rules' definition.

In between them is sometimes useful information (for example the info about discovery of the black stripes in the latest release) so I try to follow these threads, but it is kinda annoying to have to go through 100+ pages of 'thank you', 'they so pretty!' and the same questions being asked over and over again because the answers also drown in the spam-pool.

I think a closed news thread with a link to a seperate reactions thread (which can have the same amount of modding as the news-threads now), and then editing additional info and a related small FAQ into the news thread would be great.

There is no way to stop 9 y/os getting into a mature section - and I don't see AT ALL why one is needed. There are plenty of forums where people who want to can "be mature"... But kids will lie about their age and then their parents will come down on TJ for letting them see such stuff.

About spam. It might help a little tiny bit if, in the piece quoted from the FAQ, Socky were to add "Posting links to your eggs and hatchies is considered spam and you will be given a warning. You may post a link to your scroll in your signature." There was a new player (non English speaker) posting such links all over the place the other day, and in the end they came to TLQ to say they simply didn't understand what they were being asked to do.

@ TJ - I asked the admins and they don't know. They are paid up and holding off on 3 till the bugs are ironed out, and it doesn't specify what features come and go. I do know that 2 doesn't have the facility to autotrack PMs, which is annoying of it.

Edited by fuzzbucket

About spam. It might help a little tiny bit if, in the piece quoted from the FAQ, Socky were to add "Posting links to your eggs and hatchies is considered spam and you will be given a warning. You may post a link to your scroll in your signature." There was a new player (non English speaker) posting such links all over the place the other day, and in the end they came to TLQ to say they simply didn't understand what they were being asked to do.

That really sounds good and understandable.

There is no way to stop 9 y/os getting into a mature section - and I don't see AT ALL why one is needed. There are plenty of forums where people who want to can "be mature"... But kids will lie about their age and then their parents will come down on TJ for letting them see such stuff.

Exactly. Also "our" restricted area is held clean and readable for kids.

Because some of the discussions in GD can slip into a rating above PG-13? :/ Because there have been many times when mods have had to get their newspapers out and smack users for being 'innapropiate' where all we were doing were discussing 'mature' matters?

And while it's true that TJ cannot prevent all kids from getting into the section, there's an easy way around that: a scan of one's ID. That's how a lot of places such as Y!Gallery check to see if the person is overage, and if they fail to provide idenification, then they are suspended.

For here, it simply means they won't be able to get into the section.

It's not entirely foolproof, but then what way IS?

??

*fascinated from another forum*

HOW can you REALLY test ID ? I could post ANYONE's driver's licence, for instance... borrow my dad's while he's in the bathtub...

I still don't know why we NEED such a section, though.

How can you really test anything on the internet? :/

Anyway, do you spend much time in GD? If you did you'd know why there's a need for the section. ^^;

How can you really test anything on the internet? :/

Anyway, do you spend much time in GD? If you did you'd know why there's a need for the section. ^^;

No ! xd.png

I come here for dragons ! Three are other forums for GD sort of stuff - that's why I don't see the need for it here ! biggrin.gif

In that case, might as well just scrap all the non-dragon stuff, right? :|

Some of us DO like to be able to chat about other stuff, and having an already established community's a nice thing - we don't want to move. Would you like it if for some reason all the dragon stuff was taken elsewhere, and every time you wanted to talk about something not related you had to go elsewhere?

In that case, might as well just scrap all the non-dragon stuff, right? :|

Some of us DO like to be able to chat about other stuff, and having an already established community's a nice thing - we don't want to move. Would you like it if for some reason all the dragon stuff was taken elsewhere, and every time you wanted to talk about something not related you had to go elsewhere?

No - I don't MIND it being there - I just don't see a huge need to take it that step further.

PG is OK for 99% of stuff, I'd have thought. smile.gif

I find no reason whatsoever for this forum to have a subsection devoted to topics that are higher than PG-13. There are other places to go for that, and it really doesn't need to be on a forum for a game that largely attracts kids.

That being said, I am not against a "Serious Debate" subforum, with stricter restrictions on the types of topics that can be created there. However, it would probably need a very watchful eye to make sure things don't get out of hand, so I'd want the GD and global mods to weigh in on that.

I find no reason whatsoever for this forum to have a subsection devoted to topics that are higher than PG-13.  There are other places to go for that, and it really doesn't need to be on a forum for a game that largely attracts kids.

That being said, I am not against a "Serious Debate" subforum, with stricter restrictions on the types of topics that can be created there.  However, it would probably need a very watchful eye to make sure things don't get out of hand, so I'd want the GD and global mods to weigh in on that.

It's been given a ton of different names, but it's seriously the same thing. :|

A heavily moderated subsection of GD for more serious/mature discussion.

It's not a section to post (internet sex) or spam violent videos or anything. It's to separate "heated" topics from the more casual threads like QandA, Favorite X, pets, and so on.

I'm strongly in favor of it, always have been. TJ told me he's able to set it to post moderation and/or topic moderation from the start, so I'd definitely agree to one (or both) of those. I realize it would take a lot of modding, but technically we already do that. It would just move those debates/discussions to a more secluded area.

Why should we have to go elsewhere to discuss something like political correctness with our DC friends? That would take so much effort, and we already have seperate Site Discussion and General Discussion. Don't want to see a "flame war" over abortion? Don't go in the debate section. Worried about ONOZ TEH CHILDRENZ? I'm sure something can be worked out for visibility.

Edited by NixAyum

One forum I am on does have a "socio political" section for discussion of political, ethical or religious issues. It is hidden by default. That might help, to have it not show up until someone specifically opts in.

And you could have to have permission to access it - and be booted out if a mod sees it as necessary. Maybe only allow access after someone has been posting here long enough for it to be clear to mods they would be OK in there ?

Devil's advocate, for those who actually want this biggrin.gif

Those are the kinds of topics that tends to get most heated, so it makes sense. Automatically hidden not so much, as then mods need to differentiate between who's allowed and who's not, which can be difficult. Plus, some people venture into such threads to learn.

Or maybe you are just not allowed to post until the moderator grants you access?

Those are the kinds of topics that tends to get most heated, so it makes sense. Automatically hidden not so much, as then mods need to differentiate between who's allowed and who's not, which can be difficult. Plus, some people venture into such threads to learn.

If someone here is getting into those topics in GD they can be directed to the radical area. That's how it works on the other place I'm on. All it means is when you look at the list of forums on the front page - it just isn't there, unless you have opted to see it.

Agreed. Having to be approved in order to post in a topic is just... So inconvenient. =/ Wouldn't that create a buttload more work for mods as well?

I like this forum's GD section very much. It's a nice breath of air away from the Dragonadopters forum, where real good debates and more mature GD topics aren't easy to come by because we're so picky with them to make them family-friendly. I do like the idea of a 'serious debate' subsection of the GD board, as NixAyum described, but overall I think GD is fine the way it is.

Edited: for foolish grammar =P

Edited by Alpha Gryph

I think just having it hidden from public view - i.e., you'd have to be in a group to join.

Putting everybody together in a group would make it easier to parse.