Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Do you mind if I suggest adding a way to check when a user was last logged in to their profiles? It'll stop confusion as to when a person was last on if they don't often post. It would be best located under User Statistics.

And I also think an alert when another user has posted while you were composing your own post would be in order. So, basically something similar to how its set up on a phpBB3 forum. No more looking stupid because someone got in and answered before you tongue.gif

You can say that you would prefer not to have a mature section. ^^ We're taking in all suggestions, and would like feedback either on how the forums are run, the forums themselves, how the moderators are doing their jobs, etc. xd.png

I can at least understand the reason for the time between posts having been increased. However, it would be nice to be able to hit the "Quote" button to quote another user and start typing up my response before the timer has passed. Not being able to even start quoting them until after the 60 seconds has gone by is a bit... annoying.

I'd like the ability to preview my signature before I save any changes I've made. That way if there's a boo-boo I can fix it before the whole world sees it.

And I don't think an R rated forum is necessarily needed, but somewhere for more mature discussion would be nice.

Edited by ThatDeadGirl

And I also think an alert when another user has posted while you were composing your own post would be in order. So, basically something similar to how its set up on a phpBB3 forum. No more looking stupid because someone got in and answered before you tongue.gif

If something like this is implemented, can it please be optional? I much prefer to just go and delete or edit a post if someone answers before me than have something warn me someone else has posted. I have always found the warnings annoying and I am glad this one does not have it.

[*]More mature subforum for discussions where things can be discussed freely and maturely within reason. | Possibly have a section that is password protected and can't be seen by members unless given permission.

Some forums I belong to seem to have good results with setting up a special member category where the member has to "subscribe" to that member category and agree to the rules for that special before being given permission to access an area of forums only that category covers.. they are not actually special password protected.

No one can ever "complain" about the content they find in that area because they were warned up front that language, topics, etc. might be of a mature or R/X rated nature prior to them even agreeing to accept the rules of that area when they subscribe.

[*]Trade subforum to make trading easier.

Yes... a nice sub forum would be much nicer than having to hunt for the existing threads in site discussion especially on busy days.

[*]A larger inbox space.

Yes, a larger inbox space would be nice... it doesn't need to be that much more space.. probably double what exists now would be adequate for most people. I often have pending IOUs/trades I need to keep track of but sometimes run out of space and have to delete stuff and hate writing something down where it will get lost.

[*]PG-13 Guidelines better described (they're vague now).

shrug... eh. I'm too used to sites that don't follow pg/pg13 guidelines anyway so no biggie for me.

[*]More characters allowed in signature (without the size limit being affected).

More character space would be nice as would a little more vertical space.

What I would definitely like to see is limits put on graphic SIZES... some of the banners people post are insanely huge (physically not file size) and then there are people with a lot of banners crammed in their signature, etc. Would be nice to limit that kind of damage.

[*]More BBC functionality such as alignment, and spoiler codes.

Spoiler codes would be nice.

[*]Multiple quoting (Not sure if this is possible).

That is nothing but a pain.. not worth having.

[*]Reduce the time between using 'Search'.

[*]Possibly shorter flood control.

Search/Flood Control time used to be 60 seconds, then recently it was increased to 120 seconds.. so does that mean it would go back to 60 seconds? or 30 seconds? or what?

[*]Pop-up notifications for warns.

Yes!

[*]What merits a warn, and what are the possible consequences.

Would be nice. Most sites have this written into the TOS as a matter of fact.

[*]Forum Clock

Yes! Yes! Yes!

@crazywargod You already can change that. It's somewhere in settings.

There are a lot of very young users on this site.

Exactly. Thank you.

*bangs head against wall* Thank you *bangs head against wall*

shrug... eh. I'm too used to sites that don't follow pg/pg13 guidelines anyway so no biggie for me.

Point is, without clear guidelines we don't know what's warnable or not. A mature subsection would help a lot with that, but also having clear guidelines would be good.

Is it possible to make the inbox bigger? Then it should be possible to get a notification pop-up when you retrieves a warn.

And yes, I want an R-rated section too. *Nods*

Ooh, spoiler tags, that can be useful!

It's in the forum rules to keep things PG 13, a "R-resricted section" would break these rules.

Besides what about people who have had classes in highschools that explain many R subjects, just in a sense approved by the school board. It doesn't take rocket science after all.

I for one think that different color choices other than red and blue would be nice. And the abitlily to have a skin that's darker for people with light sensative eyes who can't stare at the forum too long with out straining them (like me) I've been on forums where the back ground color is black and it's wonderful for your eyes when everything is kind of monotoned and nothing stands out too much.

It's wise to think of the vision impaired on here as well.

That is nothing but a pain.. not worth having.

What is wrong with it? People already quote multiple posts at once but it is often time consuming bringing up a new window per quoted post and C&Ping them into onto one post. An option to quote multiple post at once would be less time consuming. The only problem I see is this forum not being able to support it.

Moderators giving clearer warnings. As I've said before in another thread, I have a warn on my log that just says, "spam", and that's it. I've had other warns where the moderator said 'spam' and gave a link to my post, but the thread had already been deleted by the time I saw the warn so I didn't know what post it was.

A clear warn would be:

Quoting the post.

Linking to the post.

Quoting the rule that the post broke.

Possibly explaining how the rule was broken if it's not obvious.

Actually, something came to mind that I think would be -very- nice. Have any of needed a mod in a specific section but could only find on that belonged to another? I don't know about you guys, but I think I'd like to see a little line-blurring when it comes to the mods. Sure, they're still moderating their own section, but they would be able to take action in other sections should the need really arise.

Point is, without clear guidelines we don't know what's warnable or not. A mature subsection would help a lot with that, but also having clear guidelines would be good.

Agreed! >.<!

Also, I think I would like to see some heavier consequences for people who break the rules frequently, even if it's just something simple like spam. It's in the rules--don't do it. It's annoying as hell, especially when you're trying to have some sort of discussion or RPing or whatever, when all of the sudden you have something in the thread that is completely off topic. That, and I'd like to see a little more done about trolling. I know it can be difficult to spot, and it isn't always easy to 'hear' a person's tone from words on a screen, but still. =/ Some things are just hurtful or insulting, whether or not they are poorly disguised as something else.

Edited by firey140

It's wise to think of the vision impaired on here as well.

That is ALL I need to see.

I am legally blind (WAY different than blind. I get tired of people not knowing the difference) and I'd love to have different color options. I sometimes get a headache when I'm reading through a whole thread - not due to the text-on-background contrast, but the fact ALL the parts OUTSIDE of the thread posts is THE SAME BRIGHT COLORS. Once again, I say... HEADACHES. Ugh. It's even worse when migraines pretty much run in the family. >.<

By the way, being legally blind also explains why I color my posts and BOLD them. xd.png

More on a mature section:

I think that it would require very clear guidelines of what is and is not allowed so it wouldn't be abused, and would need to be carefully policed, especially at first. I can see a number of the concerns about such a section.

It would be very important to have a clear definition of what's a mature topic and what's just straight-up crude, because I don't think it would be wise to allow a section to just post crude things. Perhaps in a mature section, topics need to be approved before being posted? It would probably be a good idea to have dedicated mods for that forum, because I've seen in other places topics that started out mature but within reason that degenerated pretty quick into just plain crude stuff as soon as there were no mods on. I would, of course, hope that people here wouldn't do something like that, but better safe than sorry when it comes to touchy things, right?

With a password (or as was suggested a subscription) that would allow people who don't want anything to do with it to avoid it, and if you needed to be approved to view/post in the section it could ensure that people who are clearly not old enough/mature enough are kept out.

If it did have a password or something, I'd suggest needing to apply for the password, which can only be given out by a mod, so it can be more carefully controlled who would gain access.

Unrelated:

Signature preview, as somebody said. I know I've seen a suggestion topic for that before, that would be lovely.

And I like what Sorrowgrave said about a darker forum.

How do members intend to prove they are of age, to be in a mature sub-forum?

Most of it would have to be based on the honor system, you could force proof through ID cards - some forums do this, but make sure that home addresses and ID Card numbers are removed from the scan.

The thing is: If a young members wants to get in, they will, and that is THEIR choice to do so. DragonCave, it's owners, administrators and moderators cannot be held responsible for the choices of others. That's from a US legal perspective - not opinion.

Make an R-Rated section - do NOT announce it to the rest of the forums, don't even have it showing as a locked forum - but make a member group that members can apply to become a part of. If they're willing to provide proof of age then let them - if they're not willing to provide proof of age, chances are they aren't old enough anyways.

Edited by Seasons Love

* More mature subforum for discussions where things can be discussed freely and maturely within reason. | Possibly have a section that is password protected and can't be seen by members unless given permission.

I am "more mature", but I really don't have an opinion on this. It doesn't seem like something I would use.

* Trade subforum to make trading easier.

I know this is coming, and I look forward to it.

* A larger inbox space.

I would love this, both personally and for the TMP inbox. I'm sure other projects or groups would appreciate this. I'm also sure a lot of the groups would like to send multiple pms, like for group updates.

* PG-13 Guidelines better described (they're vague now).

This could be good for those unsure.

* More characters allowed in signature (without the size limit being affected).

I'm sure there are many that could use this.

* More BBC functionality such as alignment, and spoiler codes.

I'm sure that this could help some members.

* Multiple quoting (Not sure if this is possible).

There have been times I could have used this.

* Reduce the time between using 'Search'.

While there are times I would really love this, I understand the need for it.

* Pop-up notifications for warns.

This would let someone know immediately what they are being warned for? I'm sure that would help to clear up misunderstandings.

* Possibly shorter flood control.

While there are times I would really love this, I understand the need for it.

* What merits a warn, and what are the possible consequences.

This sounds like a really good idea.

* Forum Clock

This is another that I would really love. It would make some things much easier.

Overall, I really think the moderators do a really great job, and have found every one that I approached with a question, problem, or concern to be very approachable and friendly. Thanks for all the hard work you all do.

This

Maturity doesnt always follow age.

Also, its easy enough to lie about your birthdate.

I would honestly like to see more sub sections. In all forum areas.

As of now, one sub forum could have hundreds of topics. All about somewhat the same things, but different. IE GD.

Lots of stuff about the cave, but its all pretty much mashed into one.

Honestly having to "apply" can hurt feelings. And not everyone wants to freely show who they are an such.

Also, a way to report Pm'd would be nice.

Edited by Whispyr

@crazywargod You already can change that. It's somewhere in settings.

There are a lot of very young users on this site.

Exactly. Thank you.

The one who dictates what a child can or can not do should be left to the parents. As I said before, age is NOT an indication of maturity, as we've seen with Quakie and Catty. As far as what's being approved of by adults, my point still stands - if the parents have a problem with it, then they can do something. That's no reason to restrict control of the section for those who do want access and might be under 18.

For the Mature section, I don't see why we can't just have a warning disclaimer up. It'd be enough to warn people. Worried about "corrupting" the kiddies? Get em off the internet then. They'll find out eventually.

All this application and approval stuff sounds like a lot of work and rather silly, really. I mean, IDs? Scanned IDs? Seriously?

For the Mature section, I don't see why we can't just have a warning disclaimer up. It'd be enough to warn people. Worried about "corrupting" the kiddies? Get em off the internet then. They'll find out eventually.

All this application and approval stuff sounds like a lot of work and rather silly, really. I mean, IDs? Scanned IDs? Seriously?

I couldn't agree with this more. It's unnecessary work for the mods when it's the parent's job to control what gets seen and what doesn't.

I couldn't agree with this more. It's unnecessary work for the mods when it's the parent's job to control what gets seen and what doesn't.

Not to mention a breach of privacy. Someone earlier mentioned that the only people who wouldn't want to show ID are people who aren't old enough. That quite frankly is not true. I don't want such private information given into someone else's hands, and yes, I consider an ID more private and potentially dangerous than say paying for something online.

What is wrong with it? People already quote multiple posts at once but it is often time consuming bringing up a new window per quoted post and C&Ping them into onto one post. An option to quote multiple post at once would be less time consuming. The only problem I see is this forum not being able to support it.

because people would quote a post that quoted a post that quoted a post, etc.... Quoting a key phrase here and there from a few different posts is one thing, having to read 4 pages worth of full on quotes in a single post only to find they just added a single sentence is horrible to deal with.

Well, I'm still wondering on how one is admitted to the mature subforum. Would they send in a request to a mod for a pass, or at any time given admittance by the mods?

As I see it, a mod would go through a little run of the members previous posts, and based on their actions would be given permission or not. There be a little warn system, and set on a certain amount of warns on bad behavior, they would then be banned temporarily from the mature content. I'd say after about two outbreaks, the said user would be given a temporary ban. After 1-3 week ban, user is given 1 more chance until total ban. As a young user myself, I think it is possible that younger users can behave properly in mature situations. Age discrimination is annoying and why some may hide their age from the public.

But I worry this may increase the amount of pms a mod receives. And as far as I know, they may have many each day.

Edited by RuthlessWolves

because people would quote a post that quoted a post that quoted a post, etc.... Quoting a key phrase here and there from a few different posts is one thing, having to read 4 pages worth of full on quotes in a single post only to find they just added a single sentence is horrible to deal with.

Er, that's pyramid quotes. I think what cwg is talking about is what happens in debates, when people address multiple posts in one post.