Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

That thread was getting pretty dull... (I post as one who admits to being partly responsible for that sleep.gif - and rewording something within a thread tends not to be read by many of those participating, who just carry on as they were - guilty of that too, I expect ! And TJ has since said (in this thread) that it would be a huge amount of work, so it's academic anyway in respect to that thread....

I can't remember if I ever posted here but heres an idea for the PM system. Separate the save box and the in box. I've got some PMs I'd like to save and sometimes I don't clean out my inbox right away if its something recent and I still need to check back on later but can delete sooner or later. It's a pain that they share the same space.

You can create your own folders in there - I have a couple smile.gif Then save to them.

I'm with Rally Vincent on this one. I say, so long as a discussion doesn't break the rules, it should be allowed to continue, no matter how pointless it is. I think the minority should be allowed to argue that the general opinion of the board is wrong. Heck, I think we should be allowed to argue with TJ on matters that concern the attitude and policy of the site, rather than the mechanics of it. So long as everybody follows the rules, I don't see what harm can come from discussing an idea.

And TJ has since said (in this thread) that it would be a huge amount of work, so it's academic anyway in respect to that thread....

It might be academic to that particular thread, but not to the next thread that gets closed under the same circumstances.

I'm with Rally Vincent on this one.  I say, so long as a discussion doesn't break the rules, it should be allowed to continue, no matter how pointless it is.  I think the minority should be allowed to argue that the general opinion of the board is wrong.

Given that majority vote is not what decide's DC's future, and that I am completely free to go against the will of the general opinion, I don't see anything wrong with allowing civil discussions to continue—assuming they stay civil.

I'm well aware this is not the best way to ask, but would anyone be disappointed if I were to set up a filter to replace -- (two dashes, although I'm not opposed to 3 instead) with — (em dash)? I have a growing tendency to use them in my writing, but it's hard to do so when getting the character into posts is non-trivial.

EDIT: loltypo.

Edited by TJ09

I'm well aware this is not the best way to ask, but would anyone be disappointed if I were to set up a filter to replace -- (two dashes, although I'm not opposed to 3 instead) with — (em dash)? I have a growing tendency to use them in my writing, but it's hard to do so when getting the character into posts is non-trivial.

EDIT: loltypo.

Please do. It would make things easier for the people who do them. I actually avoid using them currently because there isn't a quick way to do so. I don't see any reason an em dash can't be used in place of a double dash if people want to use a double dash for any reason.

I would love that actually c: I use them a lot too in RPing posts and that filter would be great~

I, too, would love it if the -- was filtered into an em dash. happy.gif

I figure it'd just be another marginally useful semi-annoying replacement that people would make edits going O____O wat happen about. And what _Z_ said; --- and such are used in dividers for posts, and in arrows, etc.

You can deal with that ----> with spaces...

which would look like - - - - > just as a l o t (hang on, that one does NOT work... xd.png)

I Concede the point, that will work fine. lol

Ohyes to the dash thing. Currently I just put spaces around my normal dashes for when they're supposed to be the bigger ones - like that.

I actually have a question for mods--is a certain amount of humor in reports acceptable? I often make the descriptions for my reports a bit silly, but I'm curious as to your opinions on that.

As long as your reports hold the info needed, I don't mind how it is written. If I do not understand what the problem is, I try to pm prior to warning for abusing the system.

Alright, I will hold off on closing some threads. Please remember to PM or e-mail me if I close a thread and you don't agree with it. I am always open to feedback and discussion. :3

I don't mind humor in reports at all. ^^

As long as your reports hold the info needed, I don't mind how it is written. If I do not understand what the problem is, I try to pm prior to warning for abusing the system.

Okay, great. I'll make sure to be extra clear just in case.

Site discussion: duplicates.

Ok. So mostly I want to find a thread that has lets me post on topic and suits my intended discussion. It kind of defeats the purpose if I am wading through Site Discussion and LOADS of threads are closed duplicates... :s

Or after a couple of days.

Possible benefits of deleting duplicates straight away:

Decreased server load?

Cleaner forum.

Increased search accuracy.

Possible negatives of deleting duplicates straight away:

Repeat offenders.

Increased moderator workload.

ANY area duplicates: maybe they could have a subforum where they go as soon as they are closed ? Closed help threads with an actually ANSWERED question which could remain useful to others, for instance, should stay in the main area though.

ANY area duplicates: maybe they could have a subforum where they go as soon as they are closed ? Closed help threads with an actually ANSWERED question which could remain useful to others, for instance, should stay in the main area though.

I personally am not a fan of this. I would rather see duplicates deleted, and possibly ones with the answered tag left alone, so like you said, others can see the answers. Making a separate section very much implies to me that you are trying to shame the people who made them, holding their mistake up to everyone, where otherwise it would have been buried relatively quickly. The only situation that would make a separate section ok, is if it is not visible to the public.

I don't think they'd come across as "holding up mistakes" for other people to see. The thread served it's purpose and was closed, it's no one's fault the "closed" image is a scroll on fire, that's the thing that sends an unpleasant, "you did something so wrong we decided to set it on fire as an example to others" vibe.

I do agree that a separate section for closed/locked threads would be good, and anything closed would be sent there, in the case of ANSWERED threads, their information would still be available, and it wouldn't clog up the main areas the threads came from. It'd be a giant mish-mosh, of course, if everything's sent to one central location, but that's an issue with the Search feature, but it would leave some information available, to naturally be buried beneath more closed topics, and unclutter the main areas. And to be fair, how often does anyone seek out and read closed topics? All the good ones are hidden away from user eyes anyway.

As there are plenty of people who dislike the closed thread symbol and were scared by it as newer members, I can very much see people being hurt by having their duplicates on display.

Dupes are actually deleted after two days to help people see the original was posted and to keep the forum clean. As I don't see another forum being made for dupes for many reasons, is there another solution you guys can think of? ^^

As there are plenty of people who dislike the closed thread symbol and were scared by it as newer members, I can very much see people being hurt by having their duplicates on display.

Dupes are actually deleted after two days to help people see the original was posted and to keep the forum clean. As I don't see another forum being made for dupes for many reasons, is there another solution you guys can think of? ^^

No actually - I didn't realise they were deleted that fast. Way to go you guys ! But spam threads could go sooner, maybe ?