Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Since this has been bumped back up, I'd like to leave some positive feedback.

- I think that the Christmas Tree threads were incredibly enjoyable! I really, really appreciate that we were given a little bit more leeway, and I think _Z_ did a wonderful job moderating the posts and keeping the discussion running smoothly and sticking to the topic of the contest.

- I know that there was an issue at first about posting screen shots of trees, and I thought that it was handled really well by having a concrete position and then posting it in a sticky in SD. And I don't say that because I supported the decision. Even if it had been decided the other way, I liked the fact that it was a clear cut answer and then prominently placed.

- Socky's stickied thread, "Posting in Help", is absolutely awesome. I think that it goes right to the heart of what was the problem with both some of those with questions and some of those with answers.

And I've already found if helpful. In the post it asked that if we were giving an answer and someone else ninja'd us, could we delete out answer if it didn't add anything new. I'd actually never considered that before, because most forums I belong to frown on deletion, but I could definitely see how much that would help clarify things when providing information for someone. I was ninja'd the other night in the Tiny Questions thread and I deleted my post as suggested. When I went back to check the thread later, it really was nicer to see a question and then just one complete answer, instead of three or four.

Regarding the deleting posts thing, I tend to do that if I post in the trading thread and get an offer. Seems more reasonable than striking through everything or editing the post to say "traded". Same goes for LiT - when I find something that I think might belong to someone, and nobody replies in a given time, I delete my post.

I actually think 100 messages is more than enough. I just don't think it should be 100 messages total, like 100 message for the main inbox, 50 for sent, and 50 for saved.

It's 100 ??? It seems more like a total of 50 to me (just had to archive to save some I wanted...)

ETA Yes - it must be 50 - at 36 messages overall, I am 72% full. That really isn't very many - but with so many forum members, I suppose doubling to 100 would be a load...

Edited by fuzzbucket

Starting from top down, here are my feelings and opinions.

Dragon Requests (DR)/Help: I have never viewed either of these as unfriendly to me, but DR can be very intimidating due to the epic lot of stuff that's there and needs to be done. I can see how it would be viewed as unfriendly to some but it has never felt that way to me (then again, I'm biased, I've immersed myself completely into DR xd.png).

Help can be kind of unfriendly, especially when newbies ask questions that have already been asked a zillion times. It's more than once I've seen an unfriendly answer there. I myself try to answer and nicely and helpfully as I can and if I start feeling frustrated with the same questions being asked time and again, I simply go away from help for awhile. I think Socky's topic about "Posting in Help" is awesome and has helped with some of this, and Socky has done a very good job with these sections despite the sections being loaded with stuff to do.

Site Discussion (SD): I don't really have anything to say about this as I think it's fine as is.I think SD is the friendliest section and Z does a wonderful job of modding it. I'm amazed she can keep up with all of it by herself. @.@

General Discussion (GD): This section does give off unfriendly and/or hostile vibes sometimes. I usually avoid GD (I only follow a few threads anyway, otherwise I just randomly pop in to threads sometime to give my two cents about the topic), preferring instead to hang out in DR. Sometimes in the actual discussion part of GD I have seen people be hostile to others, which is why I tend to avoid it, though I myself have never had problems with it.

Roleplaying Section (RP): I usually don't ever come to the RP section. I had an interest in it at one point and let the RP I created kinda die, which was good, considering how I rapidly lost interest in the RP section afterwards.

===

General stuffs:

Mature Section: ...Eh. I don't see the need for it from a personal view but I can understand why some people want it.

Trading section: I'm kind of neutral on this. I don't see the need for a whole separate section just for trading but I suppose it's a good idea, especially when you can't find the threads. sleep.gif

Chat Places: Right now we have the IRC as a chat place, but not everyone can or wants to come to the IRC to chat. There's already the CPA in forum games but maybe it could be advertised a little more. I didn't know about the CPA (or where or what it was) for about four months after I joined the forums. Then again, I don't normally go to forum games so that's also understandable. But I think that if it were advertised a little more (like in the intro posts in the mod approval post Z does, maybe a link to it and tell them what it is), people could integrate more easily. IMO I could have used the knowledge of such a place as the CPA when I joined. ^^

It's 100 ??? It seems more like a total of 50 to me (just had to archive to save some I wanted...)

ETA Yes - it must be 50 - at 36 messages overall, I am 72% full. That really isn't very many - but with so many forum members, I suppose doubling to 100 would be a load...

Oh, nevermind, it was fifty. ^^" My bad; I'm still used to the Neopets inbox.

Yes, I think we should increase the maximum storage a little. Not up to 100, but perhaps 75...?

I like spoiler tags, but don't really think we need the trading section at the moment.

Edited by Stunningfire

Thanks for the positive feedback, too, guys. Helps to know what we're doing right. <3

I added a bit more to the answering section for the help sticky, hopefully it helped clear up a bit more. :3

I pointed out the point that not all our users can use the IRC, but it hasn't been replied to yet. A lot of those problems (like using it to coordinate trades with users not allowed on it) will probably be solved when transport comes along, but even I'm not sure on the time line for that. However, I could discuss another chat topic in games with the other mods. I'm not sure what the outcome of that will be, since the one we have know has to be closely watched for drama, but I'm willing to discuss it, if it would help to have two chat threads for you guys. :3

it would be really cool, if we had a DC chat with like the pop-up boxes like in facebook

but i don't think that would be possible :/

We have the official DC IRC at irc.technoized.com, so I doubt a new feature is going to be implemented to add more chat functionality.

Here is some more feedback - stop closing threads that are having an ongoing, very active discussion but don't violate forum rules.

Edited by Rally Vincent

Can you please provide [an] example? IF you don't want to fully discuss it in public, you can contact me via PM.

Unless, of course, you mean the suggestion about donator perks, which was closed due to the overwhelmingly negative repsonse. If that isn't sufficient reasoning for you, I can also add that such a suggestion would require significantly more effort than it's work in order to retroactively give the bonus (even if it's just a name coloration or a badge) to past donators, and it would be unfair to only apply it to new donators.

GD - I post there occasionally. I think it is a friendly section and often has rather interesting threads. But only as long as you share the opinion of a certain group of people. I mostly do, so to me it seems friendly. But people who just have a different opinion and aren't able to back it up with a thousand arguments, who just want to unwind and talk to people, live and let live - they have to face "aww lol, how funny, lookit how stupid you are, here, have five tl;dr posts about something you're not really interested in" and if they still don't agree or simply don't care about some stupid internet fight, they're a troll. The general consensus seems to be "it's not fighting, it's a debate" but I imagine it can be really exhausting and drives people away. The mods - I just never see them doing any modding and also, they're friends with that certain group of people (which is not a bad thing at all, I don't think scary, aloof mods are the way to go) and are rather lenient towards them. This is only my impression and you guys wanted feedback on how users feel, I don't claim this is the truth.

I agree with this.

I lurk a lot in this section, and I often see a lot of people being probably overwhelmed (that is, unless they were a troll; then they kinda deserve to be overwhelmed .__.) by some people's questions. I mean, I understand if they were asked to post about why or why not they thought this way, etc., but usually the askers start getting more rude or snide towards the end, and when others see the askers acting this way, they start to, well, "gang up" too by adding their own comments.

Edited by xFlame990

I agree with this.

I lurk a lot in this section, and I often see a lot of people being probably overwhelmed (that is, unless they were a troll; then they kinda deserve to be overwhelmed .__.) by some people's questions. I mean, I understand if they were asked to post about why or why not they thought this way, etc., but usually the askers start getting more rude or snide towards the end, and when others see the askers acting this way, they start to, well, "gang up" too by adding their own comments.

lol and now we're complaining about how dead it is in there.

lol and now we're complaining about how dead it is in there.

lmao! whoops ;D

I can't remember if I ever posted here but heres an idea for the PM system. Separate the save box and the in box. I've got some PMs I'd like to save and sometimes I don't clean out my inbox right away if its something recent and I still need to check back on later but can delete sooner or later. It's a pain that they share the same space.

Can you please provide [an] example? IF you don't want to fully discuss it in public, you can contact me via PM.

Unless, of course, you mean the suggestion about donator perks, which was closed due to the overwhelmingly negative repsonse. If that isn't sufficient reasoning for you, I can also add that such a suggestion would require significantly more effort than it's work in order to retroactively give the bonus (even if it's just a name coloration or a badge) to past donators, and it would be unfair to only apply it to new donators.

The donator's icon thread was indeed the latest thread that sparked my comment. If it had been closed with what you said about retroactive work being unreasonable high, then it would have been a sufficient explanation. I don't think that overwhelming negative response is a valid reason, though. A minority opinion should be able to be discussed nevertheless as long as it's civilized and as long there is no final ruling by you.

There were several other threads over the years that I read or even wanted to write something in it, but when I returned after work or sleep etc the thread had been closed (there was e.g. a thread where someone brought up a thought that opinions that didn't match the majority's set-in-stone opinions were falsely and continuously labeled as "whining", even if the respective post was actually constructive criticism). I just can't find them or remember exactly the title, but it happens often enough. If a thread is discussed to the end, it will die on itself, and as I said before in this thread here: Punish users that violate forum rules, but not every user by closing the thread prematurely.

I forgot what - is censored to.

I think there should be like an off-off topic section, where no posts count to your post count. But you couldn't just spam there, it has to follow the normal rules.

I think there should be like an off-off topic section, where no posts count to your post count. But you couldn't just spam there, it has to follow the normal rules.

We have the Game forum, which is pretty much what your suggesting. As far as following the normal rules, our normal rules include:

No Spam

No one likes spam, it clutters the board, so don't contribute to the problem.

Messages that do not contribute to the topic or forum are considered spam and the poster will receive a warning.

What would you want in there exactly ? As _z_ says there is the games forum (where post count doesn't count); there is the general discussion forum - what else could one need ? I really don't understand what you want...

What would you want in there exactly ? As _z_ says there is the games forum (where post count doesn't count); there is the general discussion forum - what else could one need ? I really don't understand what you want...

I think more of a division in the games forum, right now there is no distinction in there between a game, and just chatter topics. As such, things get burried really quickly, especially if they are just getting started.

Things like the "What book are you reading now" really should have their own section, even if its just a subforum of games, for they really are not games, and though they may be more chatty than most in books, needs to be separate from games.

Edited by Nectaris

I think more of a division in the games forum, right now there is no distinction in there between a game, and just chatter topics. As such, things get burried really quickly, especially if they are just getting started.

Things like the "What book are you reading now" really should have their own section, even if its just a subforum of games, for they really are not games, and though they may be more chatty than most in books, needs to be separate from games.

Why would things like that not be in GD ??? (I never go to either area so you'd notice, so have no idea...)

I think I know what you mean, things like the "what are you listening to now" or "current thought thread". The thing is there aren't enough of those to make a whole other subforum for those...

The donator's icon thread was indeed the latest thread that sparked my comment. If it had been closed with what you said about retroactive work being unreasonable high, then it would have been a sufficient explanation. I don't think that overwhelming negative response is a valid reason, though. A minority opinion should be able to be discussed nevertheless as long as it's civilized and as long there is no final ruling by you.

There were several other threads over the years that I read or even wanted to write something in it, but when I returned after work or sleep etc the thread had been closed (there was e.g. a thread where someone brought up a thought that opinions that didn't match the majority's set-in-stone opinions were falsely and continuously labeled as "whining", even if the respective post was actually constructive criticism). I just can't find them or remember exactly the title, but it happens often enough. If a thread is discussed to the end, it will die on itself, and as I said before in this thread here: Punish users that violate forum rules, but not every user by closing the thread prematurely.

I don't close threads lightly.

When I do it's because it's something that's been said no to by TJ already, I've discussed it with other mods and we decided it would be best, nothing but fighting or spamming or going in circles is going on, or to give the idea another chance. Quite a few times an idea is brought up and shot down for pages. I step in and close the thread. A month of few later the suggestion is brought up again, but this time worded differently and garners support. A perfect example is battling. I can't count how many times that idea was brought up and shot down, but now look. Another thread was created, a different debate went on, and the idea now has a lot of support.

However, if you ever don't agree with my closing of a thread or the reason I've given isn't sufficient, please feel free to contact me and let me know your thoughts. I am here for this forum and for you. Make use of that and let me know if you think I'm not doing my job properly. ^^

Am I supposed to wait to write down my opinion and/or critique to a topic until it comes up again half a year later? What's wrong with waiting to close the thread until discussion has come to a natural end due to lack of participation and only after that give the idea "another chance". How do you know that the person who "worded it differently" the next time wouldn't have done so right now if the thread hadn't been closed?

The thread had not been open for even a single whole day - unless you expect every member to be able to sit in the forum 24/7, are you really of the opinion that no new aspects could have been brought up? A message board is not a chat where everyone is present right now. Message board discussion take place over weeks if necessary.

If fighting takes places, mods can give out warnings. Same goes for spamming. If you are telling me that it is board policy to close threads instead of keeping offenders away from it so that the others can discuss the subject (I assume it is if you discuss closing threads with other mods), then my critique is not directed at you, but at the board policy.