Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I just looked and you have to specifically ignore messages. It's not just one button any more. Maybe you need to go in to your ignore list, click the arrow next to the name of the person, go for or change ignored content, and check more boxes - it goes posts > messages > signature > mentions... See what you checked ?

@Ruby Eyes- for the moment I have ignored you for messages and only for messages. Try messaging me ? (But I shall be out all day, so no rush...)

Nope. "Messages" is checked.

And it looks like the sender indeed doesn't get informed about the blockage anymore - I just PMed you.

And I got it. On forum I had to "show" it, but the full text showed in my email. Mad.

TJ closed the thread about this

- but as we increasingly see square boxes (image placeholders) instead of emojis, so that many posts are littered with images others will never see, and as when we do see them, we all see different things (see the closed thread) can we PLEASE have the option not to see the horrid things at all ? I went to look at one this morning out of curiosity - and to see them I would have to pay to install an apple font, as the emojis in a particular post were specific to apple devices. (Actually I'd RATHER see boxes than most of them) but a lot of us object to the fact that we don't all see the same things. TJ said: 

Apps either accept that emoji are limited to their description (e.g. "smiling face emoji" only guarantees that it is a face that is smiling) or replace all emoji with a standard variant (I think Discord, Facebook, etc do this). I've presented that option in this thread, but I don't think it affects the end goal here.

But some smiling faces are cute and some are downright threatening.

Honestly - this (rather icky one)  Grinning Face With Big Eyes on WhatsApp 2.19.7 says to me something a lot different from this: Grinning Face With Big Eyes on emojidex 1.0.34 And I have no control over which the reader of my post may see.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Okay, I'm bumping up this kinda-dead thread because there is something really frustrating that I keep seeing on this forum. 

I would very much appreciate (and I have a feeling many other users would appreciate it too) if we were given some sort of explanation/reason when there are site issues. Especially the major ones recently posted in Help, that basically made regular play impossible for an extended amount of time, but all the threads were closed with TJ posting a very short 'should be fixed now' message with absolutely no indication *why* the entire game was screwing up for most of the day. 

I'm not asking for technical/coding details or anything that might be confidential or whatever, but just a simple 'a change I made didn't go well' or 'automatic processes screwed up' or whatever would make the message sound a lot more open and less like the tone of an auto-generated response. It just seems, to me, that when the site has major issues that affect user's play, the users should have *some* idea of what was going on, instead of just a blind 'it's fixed'. 

(And I really think the idea of more communication was talked about before, probably in this very thread, but I'm not going back over so many pages trying to find it.)

I second this. I didn't actually experience much of the down stuff but when I saw that it "should be fixed now" I really wanted to know what it was all about.

The new look after the update is very very ugly, and some of the buttons are now in very awkward (totally non-intuitive)  places. Can it be got back to looking more like  the way it did, sort of ?

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

The new look after the update is very very ugly, and some of the buttons are now in very awkward (totally non-intuitive)  places. Can it be got back to looking more like  the way it did, sort of ?

Can you please provide specific examples (ideally with screenshots)?

The buttons I've used thus far are in the same places they've always been.

Message and website. They were at the bottom of each post.

image.png.cb47a146a62701bbd23e69616a4ec10b.png

But the ugliness is nasty too - bright blue balloons instead of tasteful grey...  I use the blue theme as being less harsh than the default, but...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I'd ask for a change in font size/type for the thread links if possible; the new font is (i think) a lot thinner, and it makes it harder to read.

I don't have a "before" screenshot, so the actual reason might be off, but the new update is giving me notable eyestrain on the parts of the forum that aren't inside the threads.

The new layout needs way too much space. What used to fit on one page is now spread over two. Why is there so much of nothing between the rows and posts?

Is there only one skin for the forum or did I just not find where to change it?

@Fuzzbucket Ah thank you - the other one turns out to be much better, with regards to modesty of spacing.

Though now I remember why I switched to the blue one ... this background thing makes me dizzy, still ...

Edited by Ruby Eyes

There are two - at the VERY bottom, under "theme".

I'm not sure if this is something that can be solved on your end, or if I need to find another dark mode addon, but the new theme seems to have less compatibility with DarkReader. There's a very bright white box around Quick Reply, and the PM/Notification popups (that result from the buttons) have a lot of white elements that make them difficult to read. DarkReader's brightness slider doesn't change these at all.

I don't expect you to cater to addons that change how elements look, but I think it's generally worth noting that it happens~

29 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

The new layout needs way too much space. What used to fit on one page is now spread over two. Why is there so much of nothing between the rows and posts?

Is there only one skin for the forum or did I just not find where to change it?

@Fuzzbucket Ah thank you - the other one turns out to be much better, with regards to modesty of spacing.

Though now I remember why I switched to the blue one ... this background thing makes me dizzy, still ...

Yes indeed. I don't want an all singing and dancing look to a FORUM (I can't stand it in cave either but that, I realise, is just me !)

But the "plain vanilla" one is no longer plain enough for my tastes...

ETA oh GREAT - @TJ09 the "misplaced" buttons are only that way in the "invision blue" theme; they used to be in the same - sensible - place on both skins.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes indeed. I don't want an all singing and dancing look to a FORUM (I can't stand it in cave either but that, I realise, is just me !)

But the "plain vanilla" one is no longer plain enough for my tastes...

Another thing I just noticed is that the forum no longer sends the whole post in the notification e-mail. Your reply, for example, got cut off at the beginning of the second line:

image.png.130f4f476b929901785158169129de4a.png

Since I don't see an "edited" marker on your post, you most likely did NOT add the remainder of your post by editing it.

I don't think I like that. Are we now saving bits and bytes only so that we can display more space?

37 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

I'd ask for a change in font size/type for the thread links if possible; the new font is (i think) a lot thinner, and it makes it harder to read.

I don't have a "before" screenshot, so the actual reason might be off, but the new update is giving me notable eyestrain on the parts of the forum that aren't inside the threads.

I've never had an issue with any forum updates before, but I agree 100%. When I'm in a thread, it looks much like before. But on main pages of the forum (where it shows lists of threads and such) the font size seems smaller or the font itself is just different in such a way that it's both harder to read and gave me eye strain instantly. I thought it was because the font was too small, so I tried zooming in on the page (just changed 100% zoom to 110%) and it felt worse, like my eyes got jabbed, so I sized it back down 😕 Since it didn't seem to be a size issue, I assume it's the font itself or the way it's spaced now, but perhaps that guess is off...

17 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If you're talking about the background, the parallax effect doesn't apply to the forums (and respects your computer's "reduce motion" setting on the cave)

17 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

ETA oh GREAT - @TJ09 the "misplaced" buttons are only that way in the "invision blue" theme; they used to be in the same - sensible - place on both skins.

This should now be fixed.

13 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

image.png.130f4f476b929901785158169129de4a.png

Since I don't see an "edited" marker on your post, you most likely did NOT add the remainder of your post by editing it.

I don't think I like that. Are we now saving bits and bytes only so that we can display more space?

Seems like a change the software made in order to get people to click back into the forum. Perhaps there's an admin option to turn it off...

48 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Looks like the default font size for everything got overridden. I've bumped it back up to where I believe it should be.

50 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

If you're talking about the background, the parallax effect doesn't apply to the forums (and respects your computer's "reduce motion" setting on the cave)

I know - but we really don't need a heavily illustrated background when discussing stuff - it's just a distraction.

This should now be fixed.

It is - MANY thanks.

Seems like a change the software made in order to get people to click back into the forum. Perhaps there's an admin option to turn it off...

There is. I am on another invision forum where people wanted that - when you quote a long post, it rolls it up, and people liked that, but admin has set and reset it several times while we all argued ! To see the whole thing you just have to click "expand" at the bottom (for once I actually KNOW stuff !) Having them roll up shortens the page.

Oh wait - you only referred to the emails.... But with them you have to go to the forum to follow up really, anyway.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

27 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Looks like the default font size for everything got overridden. I've bumped it back up to where I believe it should be.

This fixed it for me too! Much more readable, just like before. Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Oh wait - you only referred to the emails.... But with them you have to go to the forum to follow up really, anyway.

Only if you want to follow up at all. Despite nowadays' everpresence of endless discussions, there are cases when a discussion simply ends because everything has been said. Or sometimes I just don't want to follow up on a pile of {insert favourite curse word yourself} because I know already that I'd barely be able to constrain myself in response. Hence, I want to know what awaits me, in advance.

I did notice one good change: Next to my name at the bottom is a strike-out eye that tells me that I did indeed sign in anonymously XD (Not that it helps much since the "Last visited" timestamp still gets updated in real time for any stalker to see ...)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Then why do you care if you can't see the full message !

51 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Then why do you care if you can't see the full message !

Did you even READ what I wrote? I need to see the full message to DECIDE if I want to follow up or not, or later.

ESPECIALLY considering that this stupid "Last visited" timestamp get UPDATED as soon as I enter the forum, no matter if I respond anywhere or not.

Fact is: I care.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

The font size in the default theme still seems smaller than before. (Although I'm not 100% sure of it - maybe my eyesight is getting worse.)

Could it please be the same size as the Invision Blue theme?

Default skin vs. Invision Blue in topic list:

Spoiler

image.png.f44e732572b38b8a8e66a39471d992f9.pngimage.png.a6071f00e488eec30b9528b00c812b8e.png

And in the actual post text:

Spoiler

image.png.c1b0a84c9cc40faf297756a5f96a378f.png

image.png.c88200e7a086ab2239c6b3cab5b5e701.png

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Did you even READ what I wrote? I need to see the full message to DECIDE if I want to follow up or not, or later.

ESPECIALLY considering that this stupid "Last visited" timestamp get UPDATED as soon as I enter the forum, no matter if I respond anywhere or not.

Fact is: I care.

Fair enough. Others shouldn't be able to see when you were last here, though. @TJ09 - can you not fix that one ?

Echoing previous mentions about dark mode, it would be nice to have. If even doable at all? Brosing the forums turns my laptop into a lamp and I need to enable the dark mode browser plugin every single time I visit. ;w; And not everyone can/wants to use plugins.