Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

12 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

@RealWilliamShakespeare See my quote from the Transparency in DC thread:

I'm a Site Discussion mod, and the other mod involved, Starscream, is a Chat mod. What we needed was a Help mod or global mod, who were unavailable at the time. 

Oh, forgive me for getting a little mixed up. Either way, my point still stands - more help and globals would be handy!

Which is part of why I suggested the band-aid fix of giving every forum mod "modly powers" over all sections - if only for the purpose of temporarily closing down thread that are on the verge of spiraling out of control. Just in case no global or section mod of that section is available when the excreta hit the rotating, blade-based wind generator. ;)

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Which is part of why I suggested the band-aid fix of giving every forum mod "modly powers" over all sections - if only for the purpose of temporarily closing down thread that are on the verge of spiraling out of control. Just in case no global or section mod of that section is available when the excreta hit the rotating, blade-based wind generator. ;)

I have to admit, I laughed.  :)  When I played on a RP server of Dark Age of Camelot years ago, my favorite phrase when things went wrong was "Manure occurreth".

Mod apps are hopefully in the works soon.  We've all been in TJ's ear about being short staffed and I promise he has heard us on that issue.  However, these things do take time.

Regarding the Sweets thread - I admit being heavy handed on that one but that is a hotbed issue right now.  I do not want even a hint of drama in there because that thread exploded over things that would normally not cause a firestorm.  Everyone's a bit on edge due to the unexpected changes.

I did not delete any posts in my 2nd time through - they were hidden.  This means mods and TJ can still read them because many do have valid points which I will probably reference with TJ and the mod team should the discussion take off.  However, most of them were completely about transparency which is an issue that affects everything and not just Alt Sweets.  The Alt Sweets discussion got left in the dust.

I am just curious here so don't get angry with me, but can mods move specific posts to a different thread, like how they can move a thread to a different section or is that not possible? If it was possible, could that be a thing mods look into instead of deleting posts from threads, or is it not possible?

That is called splitting/merging topics and yes it is possible.  However in this case I don't think it is a good idea, for two reasons.

First, the tone in many of the posts was rather hostile.  I understand a lot of people are frustrated right now (I am too) but I don't feel most of those would be a good addition to the current transparency topic. 

Second, the forum merges them in order of the time posted, so merging them into the new topic would mess it up by putting all those posts before the current ones.  The new topic has a great civil discussion going and starting in the middle of a discussion would just mess it up!

Edited by LadyLyzar

Oh, no, I understand that, I was actually just more curious if that was something mods could do on this forum or not. Thanks for the answer.

I think perhaps the rules for bumping could be slightly changed. I emphasized the exact part I am referring to:

Bumping

Please do not bump a thread every time it falls down to the bottom of the first page.

Threads should be bumped only if they have fallen past page 3, and haven't gotten a reply in 24 hours.

Bumping your thread X number of times will only get you a topic full of bump posts.

While it might only be an impression, it feels as though the Dragon Requests section has slowed down significantly, possibly at least partially due to being temporarily closed to new suggestions. For example, I updated the sprites for the Honeycomb Pygmies early in November, but haven't received any critiques or replies in general since, and the thread hasn't reached the fourth page so far. Of course instead of bumping the thread, I could easily ask one of the in-cave spriters directly for feedback, as many seem willing to leave critiques, and then post the updated set. However, I think someone with only a concept could struggle more. They might not even be particularly familiar with any artists here, and still be looking for sketches or spriters, yet they are likely to wait months before they may do a single bump. Furthermore, I usually prefer to give others the chance to debate about critiques, or letting them add things so I can adress multiple critiques at once the next time I work on the sprites.

I don't now how long one is intended to wait and don't remember how long it usually used to be, but I doubt it is supposed take more than a quarter of a year.

Edited by xDragonia

12 hours ago, xDragonia said:

I think perhaps the rules for bumping could be slightly changed. I emphasized the exact part I am referring to:

While it might only be an impression, it feels as though the Dragon Requests section has slowed down significantly, possibly at least partially due to being temporarily closed to new suggestions. For example, I updated the sprites for the Honeycomb Pygmies early in November, but haven't received any critiques or replies in general since, and the thread hasn't reached the fourth page so far. Of course instead of bumping the thread, I could easily ask one of the in-cave spriters directly for feedback, as many seem willing to leave critiques, and then post the updated set. However, I think someone with only a concept could struggle more. They might not even be particularly familiar with any artists here, and still be looking for sketches or spriters, yet they are likely to wait months before they may do a single bump. Furthermore, I usually prefer to give others the chance to debate about critiques, or letting them add things so I can adress multiple critiques at once the next time I work on the sprites.

I don't now how long one is intended to wait and don't remember how long it usually used to be, but I doubt it is supposed take more than a quarter of a year.

This, this, this so much! I'm badly in needif a spriter, and I can't do squat, even bump it up much.....

1 hour ago, DuskOfTheStars said:

This, this, this so much! I'm badly in needif a spriter, and I can't do squat, even bump it up much.....

This might also be a little late to the party, but in addition to that, perhaps there could also be a large General Hey I'd Love a Spriter And/Or Art Critique And/Or Some Comments on My Dragon Idea/Suggestion. Totally cool if they are all 3 different threads. But that way if by "bumping" them they still aren't getting what you need, or there is too large of a demand (which can happen when we have literally started from scratch, which, I support) and/or an artist or concept or OP is returning after some time away. Then that way that thread can also have its own rules too, and people who like to look for those things (or are good at and/or want to contribute or know they have the skills to contribute in various ways and/or want a quick browse to consider where or if they what to contribute to what, or just even keeping on eye on how things are going overall, or whatever reason), I can see very valid reasons to have those types of threads in the Dragon Suggestions section, Pinned or Posted to be at the Top Always and let people link to their threads and just manage the rules of those threads. I think that is a good way to help people who want to get more attention and people who are looking for specific projects to help with and/or just watch develop and learn or be inspired.

2 hours ago, DuskOfTheStars said:

I think the problem isn't that you can't bump your thread, but that there's no available artists. This has pretty much always been an issue--there's way more ideas for dragons floating around than there are people available to work on them.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

I think the problem isn't that you can't bump your thread, but that there's no available artists. This has pretty much always been an issue--there's way more ideas for dragons floating around than there are people available to work on them.

Might just be me, but I feel like being allowed to bump more often might help people see it? Ah, probably just me, but it is frustrating to only be able to sit there and wait for multiple months for your thread to fall far enough you can poke it up looking for crits, and you can't do a thing in that timescale if you aren't an artist. At the least, I'd appreciate being allowed monthly bumps so that it's not a several month wait between people potentially looking -because to be frank, I notice threads seem to get more attention when more active recently.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned this before, but can we get a dark forum theme? The two options given are very hard on the eyes, especially at night...

On 2/28/2018 at 1:01 AM, Ninetails said:

I'm sorry if someone has already mentioned this before, but can we get a dark forum theme? The two options given are very hard on the eyes, especially at night...

I'd be on board for that. I prefer to have dark screens even during the day, whenever possible. 

The mobile layout is super annoying and sometimes hard to use.  When updating profile, you're given a bar about two or three lines wide under interests and you have to scroll through it to find what to update.  You also have to double post in order to quote more than one post if they are on different pages since mobile doesn't really support quotes all too well.  

Another unrelated issue that I have is the search function since it only allows one search every 30 seconds or something and it gets real annoying when you have to wait to narrow down your search.

6 hours ago, Draconiusultamius said:

The mobile layout is super annoying and sometimes hard to use.  When updating profile, you're given a bar about two or three lines wide under interests and you have to scroll through it to find what to update.  You also have to double post in order to quote more than one post if they are on different pages since mobile doesn't really support quotes all too well.  

Can you screenshot what you're seeing? The interests box is full width for me.

6 hours ago, Draconiusultamius said:

Another unrelated issue that I have is the search function since it only allows one search every 30 seconds or something and it gets real annoying when you have to wait to narrow down your search.

The search cooldown is currently 10 seconds, which is very different from 30 seconds; by the time the page loads and you refine your search, there's likely only a few seconds wait. I may be able to lower it further, though.

Full width, but only 2-3 lines tall. iPad mini, updated iOS, and I can handle writing css on here better than editing my profile :blink:

22 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Can you screenshot what you're seeing? The interests box is full width for me

http://imgur.com/BsSolUk

for some reason, iPhone 8+ screenshots and other pics are too high resolution to upload normally.  Suppose that's a good thing though since that means my pictures look good.

On 11/03/2018 at 8:46 AM, TJ09 said:

Can you screenshot what you're seeing? The interests box is full width for me.

Lacking height though. Totally regular computer, using Waterfox, gets me 3 lines for my Interests box:

image.thumb.png.7ad3f630e429dea1e63eab17754361f0.png

Anyway, the reason I came here was a different one:

So I have put a few users on my ignore list, and opted to NOT receive any PMs from them.

Why do I still get notifications (e-mail) when one of those people messages me, including the full content of that message? I mean, the blocked user who messaged me despite the block didn't write anything nasty, but other people might be less lucky than that, and still have it in their mailbox. Why do they still have to deal with messages from people they opted to NEVER get messages from anymore?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I'm guessing your forum settings to send you emails for PM notifications is overriding your blocked settings for certain users, which should not be the case. If my hypothesis is correct, it would be nice if the forum blocked the email for PMs sent from blocked users.

It basically makes the ignore list useless if one doesn't want to cripple their own forum experience by disabling either the PM notifications or the messenger altogether.

I thought you couldn't send to someone who is ignoring you.... In the old software system you got a note saying "this user is not accepting messages" or something. I would test on someone I know is ignoring me - but that would be rude...

Yes, I thought so, too.

Yes, it used to do so.

I have that message in my forum inbox that is just the name and the title and a button that says "You've chosen to ignore content by <name>. Options" => "Show this comment", "Stop ignoring posts by <name>", "Change ignore preferences" (which sends me to my ignore list and sadly doesn't allow me to *permamently* and *properly* block them.)

42 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Yes, I thought so, too.

Yes, it used to do so.

I have that message in my forum inbox that is just the name and the title and a button that says "You've chosen to ignore content by <name>. Options" => "Show this comment", "Stop ignoring posts by <name>", "Change ignore preferences" (which sends me to my ignore list and sadly doesn't allow me to *permamently* and *properly* block them.)

Wow, that definitely sounds rather useless. I've never had the need to put someone on ignore, but it really seems like it defeats the entire purpose of deliberately putting someone on ignore if the forum still shows you their messages! .... Just another thing to not like about the forum upgrade I guess. 

I just looked and you have to specifically ignore messages. It's not just one button any more. Maybe you need to go in to your ignore list, click the arrow next to the name of the person, go for or change ignored content, and check more boxes - it goes posts > messages > signature > mentions... See what you checked ?

@Ruby Eyes- for the moment I have ignored you for messages and only for messages. Try messaging me ? (But I shall be out all day, so no rush...)

Edited by Fuzzbucket