Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I agree that newbies tend to get jumped on, as they don`t really want to read through all the rules carefully.

I don`t remember this happening to me, but I certaintly didn`t feel very welcomed.

This forum has a tendency to not be nice to newbies, but they aren't being nice to newbies that break the rules they've agreed to upon signing up.

I never felt like this forum was unfriendly to me when I first joined, but I also religiously followed the rules.

I think if you are a newbie and you actually follow the rules, you won't run into any trouble. If you mess up, yes, you get jumped on, because following the rules just isn't that difficult and members get a little tired of seeing the same rules broken over and over. Especially when you first start and there are those ginormous links to the rules above the forum that you really can't miss.

I think that has to do with the age group this game attracts. You get younger users who really don't want to read through all of the rules or search for threads, they just want to get clicks for their eggs.

I do think you pretty well hit the nail on the head regarding most of the perceived snapping/unfriendliness toward newbies.

As the most common rule to be broken, it seems, is the click threads/begging one, I wonder if actually linking to the list of active fansites in the rules - saying "if you're here because you need clicks, go to this thread" - would help cut down on a lot of that? Also linking/bolding it at the very top of the FAQ might help.

Because I know that a lot of newcomers seem very desperate - and then upset that people yell at them for creating such threads. And yet it seems such an ongoing problem...

Yes, people need to just read and follow the rules. But if they're flailing and scared that their eggs are going to die (again), they're less likely to take the time to read, and more likely to just go ahead and beg, figuring they can worry about the details of rules later.

Meh, if you nix the artists' forum, the artists will find a private spot elsewhere to chat. You're not going to tear down a curtain and get a super secret inside peek, you're just going to shoo the kids away from the back door.

"Transparency" means honesty about how things operate, not being invited to kibbutz on every level of an operation.

For a few years, I was a mod on a discussion/debate forum. (Maybe that explains why I can't say anything succinctly.) Side chatter usually tapered off of its own accord, or could be nudged back on target with a question or "and this is relevant because" comment; very interesting tangents usually got their own thread just by virtue of people wanting to talk more about that without the distraction of the original discussion. We had the occasional social reject stomping around in his big boy boots trying to get attention, but keeping folks interested in the conversation helped starve that out.

I know mods here don't participate in the conversations as much as monitor them, but just not being so quick to stomp down (e.g.) the brief flares of News thread silliness, or stepping in with "And that's relevant because" instead of "Can the comedy or face my wrath!" would be helpful.

I've also found that, regardless of the forum/blog/etc., there's usually more paranoia about drama than there is actual drama. Swooping in all Batman on any potential flare-up doesn't make it go away--it scatters folks to various corners to talk about why you were swooping in.

I've got another idea for some more transparency.  Perhaps once a thing like the La Femme thing is put into place, the thread concerning it is locked but moved to the public sector, so everybody can see the process by which it came about.  That way, the artist forum would still be hidden, but the rest of us would have a much better idea of what sort of stuff goes on in there.

The same should be done for completed dragon concepts. I don't know about you, but I tend to browse the completed list once in a while, and whenever I find a dragon I adore, I want to look at the concept. And, quite often, it happens that I cannot access the threat because it's from a restricted section. dry.gif I mean, what gives if the concept and sprite is done and ready for release?

On the scroll is a small sketch of a dragon with long, skinny legs and large webbed feet.  You carry the scroll to a bog, and stop just short of being seen by a dragon the size of a tall horse (how small is small?), an exact replica of the sketch on the scroll.  It stands at the muddy edge of the water, [doing something Waterwalkers do].  As you sit as quietly as you can among some cattails, you watch the dragon walk out toward the pond, and are shocked as instead of wading into the water, it stands on top of it.  Astonished, you look back down at the scroll and see a few details written there.  "Flight sacs" and "hollow bones" are written there.  The dragon you are watching has very small wings, and you doubt it can fly, but if it shares the internal characteristics of its airborne cousins, it's no surprise that it can stand on the surface of the water.  As you watch the dragon, it moves the tiny wings on its back to catch a passing breeze, and it is blown surprisingly quickly towards the middle of the pond, where it [does something else Waterwalkers do].  You sit in the reeds and watch the dragon until the wind picks up, and the dragon stumbles, unable to stay afloat on the rougher waters.  It retreats to the edge of the pond, where it stands instead on floating lily pads, and continues to [do whatever it was doing].

Wow, I love that description. It's beautifully written and definitely more like a human interest piece than an entry in an encyclopedia like most current descriptions are. I might even suggest reworking descriptions in the suggestions/requests forums...

I also feel that a space where users' could be but artists couldn't would not work. For one, the way it's put just sounds like a place to "get back at artists for having their own section". It wouldn't get anything constructive done. Just more drama.

Lol, I don't think such a section would have anything to offer, really. I mean, the artists' section is intended for a small group of people working on something for the site. But making a forum for 99.9% of all users is a pretty stupid idea IMHO as it wouldn't accomplish anything. Sure, we could voice negative opinions on sprites without hurting the artists involved, but to what gain? Either, we tell the artists and hurt their feelings anyway, or we don't tell them and leave it as is.

This. This so much.

I mean, to me it seems like the mods have taken a 'stay directly on topic or get out' kind of mentality. And I don't mind that, to a point. However, when people start getting warned for lightly chatting and making non-offensive jokes about the topic, that's when I draw the line. It didn't used to be like that here.

Edit because Sock ninja'd me: I don't even think we need a chatting section full of spam (because you know it would be). All I wish we had back was a little more posting freedom, or at the very least a specific guideline of what constitutes as an off-topic spam post.

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad about it, but I was rather shocked for getting my first warn during the Halloween event for "chatting". (In my mind, it was more along the lines of feedback that the second row of eggs in the cave worked wonders. According to the mod in question, it was "Spam/chatting in a suggestion that had already been implemented and already had one post notifying users of such.")

(Please don't mistake this for a complaint or something. I really didn't mean to complain about it, but give an example - and since I can only view my own warn...)

I can understand the need for an artist section where work is done. I don't understand the need for one where it sounds like you guys are mostly just a club house talking about random things that only artists are invited to. It just doesn't sound that necessary.
This kind of stuff needs to be warned. tongue.gif (Yes, it's a joke, so please don't jump on me. And please don't warn me for chatting, either. unsure.gif )

Edited to add: One recent change I'm rather happy with is that TJ seems to get more involved in the forums, whereas he seemed kind of unapproachable here before. (Well, at least to me as I'm not much into chatting any more.)

Edited by olympe

One thing that might help newbies feel more welcome is less copy/paste posts in their introduction thread, and more actually reading what they said and responding to it. I've been reading some of those threads lately, and have been somewhat appalled by the string of identical posts copied and pasted in reply, by people who haven't actually even read the first post and seem what the op was looking for.

Yes, they need to be encouraged to read the rules and follow them. Yes, they need to read the FAQ. And yes, linking them to the fansites subforum is probably helpful, unless they're posting that they've been playing the game for awhile and know how to raise dragons, or they're joining the forum because <friend> encouraged them to join the fun.

Yes, I've seen such posts. And yes, the "replies" were still the same set of copy/pasta that were being posted every time. In fact, instead of the 2 or 3 such "replies", lately the number has been growing. People can tell this is a standard "form reply" and that you didn't really read what they had to say.

Wow. I strongly believe that the person who came up with the concept is the only one who has rights to write a description for it! For example, we with my wife developed a concept we love; some nice people are working on it. It will be the very sad day, if smb suddenly has idea that the description isn't nice enough for them, and should be re-written.

One person developed a nice idea, another made an awesome sprite (and sometimes it is the same person), so how can you tell them their description isn't as good as the sprite. But it is the original description! T.J. might be the only one who can ask the author to change smt.

Golds have a very small description, which fits them perfectly and doesn't stop people from collecting them tongue.gif

Also, I believe all those revolution just for revolution are offtopic, because breeds descriptions are DC feedback, not the forum feedback, as the title says, so you better put it in Suggestion/Requests.

Shouldn't the person who invents a concept be the one to make the sprite of it? Of course not. Because not everybody is good at spriting. Not everybody is good at writing either. Concept owners tell the spriters what to do, and would similarly tell the writers what to do. (You'll notice I didn't actually make anything up in my demo Waterwalker description. The details I left out would have to be furnished by the creator of the breed, who is the only person qualified to tell us exactly how Waterwalkers behave.)

I'm not saying other people should make up what new breeds of dragon do and how they act, no more than I am saying other people should make up what new breeds of dragon look like. All I'm saying is that the information concerning that could be shown in a more pleasing manner.

I can understand the need for an artist section where work is done. I don't understand the need for one where it sounds like you guys are mostly just a club house talking about random things that only artists are invited to. It just doesn't sound that necessary.

So all of the passed events just popped up out of nowhere, did they? ~_~

Wait, weren't you just saying that the artist forum isn't where events come from? (Or was that somebody else...)

Anyway, I just thought of another thing: Duplicate threads should be 100% allowed when the thread you're making a dupe of was closed at the request of the OP. Or, alternatively, the OP shouldn't be allowed to request a closing. I don't see why one person should be allowed to permanently (because that's how this forum works) ban all discussion of a subject just because he was the guy who first brought it up.

Wait, weren't you just saying that the artist forum isn't where events come from? (Or was that somebody else...)

I said features for the site don't come from there.

Event's, on the other hand, such as the Easter, Halloween and current Christmas one, did. As well as ALL of the art involved.

I said features for the site don't come from there.

Event's, on the other hand, such as the Easter, Halloween and current Christmas one, did. As well as ALL of the art involved.

Not ALL of the art - I believe we pointed out that there was art from people that weren't incave at that time/now. I was part of the Easter event, and I'm still not incave. And the artists' forum shouldn't be changed, as far as I can tell.

Not ALL of the art - I believe we pointed out that there was art from people that weren't incave at that time/now.

I pointed that out earlier.

The point I was trying to make is that work does happen in the Artist section. Why would we be so protective of it?

But along the side, we chat. When you're at work, you chat with your co-workers. It's no different than that.

---------

Anyway, I'm going to go back to work. The Artist Section isn't shutting down. It's not going to be become public, and that's all there is to it.

Anyway, I just thought of another thing: Duplicate threads should be 100% allowed when the thread you're making a dupe of was closed at the request of the OP. Or, alternatively, the OP shouldn't be allowed to request a closing. I don't see why one person should be allowed to permanently (because that's how this forum works) ban all discussion of a subject just because he was the guy who first brought it up.

or when the post is hidden 3 pages back and the SEARCH DOES NOT WORK

I can't remember when I actually got what I was searching for without digging through pages of posts, which I could have done without searching. dry.gif

I can fully understand why people make duplicate threads

Rather than closing the new thread and posting a link, why not just bump the old post since for some reason mods seem to be able to find the relevant post when we cannot!

Also wondering if deleting closed posts might not keep the more relevant posts closer to the top and help lessen the need for new/duplicates?

One thing that might help newbies feel more welcome is less copy/paste posts in their introduction thread, and more actually reading what they said and responding to it. I've been reading some of those threads lately, and have been somewhat appalled by the string of identical posts copied and pasted in reply, by people who haven't actually even read the first post and seem what the op was looking for.

Yes, they need to be encouraged to read the rules and follow them. Yes, they need to read the FAQ. And  yes, linking them to the fansites subforum is probably helpful, unless they're posting that they've been playing the game for awhile and know how to raise dragons, or they're joining the forum because <friend> encouraged them to join the fun.

Yes, I've seen such posts. And yes, the "replies" were still the same set of copy/pasta that were being posted every time. In fact, instead of the 2 or 3 such "replies", lately the number has been growing. People can tell this is a standard "form reply" and that you didn't really read what they had to say.

Oh God, this. I don't even go in the Introduce Yourself sub-forum because I know my welcome post will be drowned out by copy and paste greetings. A couple of sincere welcomes is better than 5 re-pasted ones.

I don't see what's the big deal with chit-chat in there. I mean, so what? So we have a little conversation here and there, but it's definitely not like we don't get anything done. If anything, some idle chit-chat helps to get things done. =/ Having things be all SRS BIZNUSS isn't very much fun, it's just stressful.

But that's work. I just don't understand how a concept for easter can come out of your cat dying.

When you're at work, you chat with your co-workers. It's no different than that.

Please read my posts in full before posting something I have already addressed.

In addition, why does how the Artist Section function bother you so much? You get shiny pixels, awesome events, what have you, because it exists.

So how about everyone please just let the subject die?

I think we need to put less "status" on post count. I think it's a useful stat to keep track of, along with member number, because it allows you to get a bit of a picture of what kind of person you're dealing with. However, I think the "Top 10 Posters" list should be removed, and you should be able to change your member title no matter how many posts you have (especially if it's something important, like how to pronounce your username). I think people care too much about having more posts than someone else.

If this change were enacted, there would be fewer users posting just to boost their post count, and there would be far less need to crack down on "spam" or "chatter." I still don't see what the problem is with talking about random nonsense, other than the fact that it gives "undeserving" players higher post counts.

Oooh, goo suggestions, guys!

~

As I already mentioned, I agree about introductions. I, myself, will try and wander in there more with some more personalized, individual greetings - or at least answer questions I see in the OP.

I also agree that, as mods, we could try to interact with the community more, not just as mods, but as users. I do try to wander about each section and talk with people and get to know people. DC has become my safe haven and I really enjoy the company of people here. However, interacting more as a user and less as a mod has become harder, with Christmas and school (and descriptions) time can be short, especially when I have to spend time catching up after being irresponsible and getting suspended twice. I will try to get back into being a part of this community, though. <3

alot.png

I see a lot of support for a place to chat. TJ has nixed this before, but I would like to present the idea to him again. When the mods presented the idea to TJ again, we also discussed cleaning it often. ;3 Just as I'll try and see what he wants to do with the expanded rules he wrote up, which I think would help with a lot of the confusion about what is and isn't a warnable offense.

alot.png

When closing dupes, I can try to start also bumping up the old topics or even merging dupe topics, as well as linking them. :3 (And yes, you've discovered one of the mods secrets - we are, in fact, superheroes, only our power is kind of lame - the power to work the search function and get accurate results, back! :cool.gif

alot.png

Official warns are easier to keep track of, but I can also try to remember to give out more verbal warns, even if I give verbal and official warns, depending on situation.

I agree that it would be a good idea to give out more verbal warns with official warns. I mean, it's useless to warn two people for calling someone a troll, say nothing, and have two more people call someone a troll. And yes, I do warn users' for calling other's a troll. That's name calling and that's rude. :3 (If you believe someone is trolling, report them and let the mods figure out what to do. Situations like this are a part of the reason warn = consequence guidelines were never made public, IIRC, so that when we didn't stick to the guidelines exactly, users' couldn't say our punishment was unfair because that's not the warn guidelines.)

alot.png

If we close a thread at the request of an OP, people are welcome to re-start the thread. It has happened before - the example that pops into mind is illegal immigration in GD. Unless more people feel that OP's shouldn't be allowed to request their threads to be closed (with the excepting of their roleplay, original art thread, or dragon request)?

Oh, also, I don't think it's a bad idea to be able to have two threads in original works - one for drawing and one for writing. I have wondered about this myself and I think it was probably okay back when the forum had way less people, anyway.

alot.png

The point about post count is a good one. I like getting rid of the top ten posters and at least lowering the level at which you can change your user title. Maybe as you get more posts you get a few more characters for your status, but the default you start with is high enough that it won't really be incentive to spam for post count?

alot.png

The reasons threads are locked so much in help is because when they get locked like that, they auto clean, and it's easy to see the topics that have been answered and not, but I can think about easing up. :3

And to who suggested it, yes, sections do get clean up to get rid of locked topics that sitting there, interrupting your search, not being interactive. Maybe some sections not as quickly as others', but I do what I can. :3

alot.png

I also got an awesome PM about creating a sticky along the lines of "Helpful tips to answering questions in Help" and I like it, but I can get a bit sticky crazy. I was wondering what you guys thought of this?

It is an excellent point that often people are scared to post in there and when they do they can sadly be jumped on, which is just a disappoint of beginning in a forum as a bunch of copy'pasta intros greeting you to the board. 3:

alot.png

Thank all of you for your well thought out and insightful posts. <3

I'll be compiling a list of what I've seen here and making sure to bring it up in the mod section for everybody to see.

SockPuppet Strangler, all of this looks nice, but I guess, it looks too nice. Personally I feel very comfortable with the Forum as it is now; I think it's very friendly, helpful, useful and convinient. I'm afraid of members being too enthusiastic to make it even better, and organise a couple of local revolutions, and I hope nothing will be damaged in a process.

Sometimes I visit Introduce yourself section. There are so many people joining each day, and I think _Z_'s copypaste welcome is the best we can do; it has all the useful links and information, and members are free to go to Introduce myself and welcome new members personally. But being a mod, how much time would you spend to write a personal, individual greeting to every introduction? And how long would you be able to work like this? No, I think that auto greeting is really the best. I recall when I joined the Forum, I've had a lot of questions, so I read _Z_'s post, checked all the links, and I had like 99% of my questions answered.

I visit Help section frequently, and try to answer questions when I have time. There's a problem there, and I think mods are aware. When a new member asks an easy and obvious question (like when to hatch sunrises, if I live in Europe, how do I get a zombie, why can't I breed split with waterwalker, etc), members mostly tend to post "duplicate" and "use search". The problem is: have you ever tried to actually use search for 10-20 easy noobish questions? It will take you about 3 hours! The first reason is, search is limited. I don't use it much, but even I hate this "Wait 120 seconds" message. And what if you have 5-10 questions at the same time? The second, information is not well organized, and not everything is in the FAQ, so if you don't know the answer, you can waste a lot of time trying to find it. For example, you have sunset/sunrise egg, it is 3d22h, you put it in ER, and it doesn't hatch, because it's the wrong timeframe, but you know nothing about sunset/sunrise dragons, you want to know why doesn't it hatch, - try to use search and find the answer yourself wink.gif How much time did it take?

So my suggestion here is that members (and not mods!) should be more friendly to new users and actually answer questions, no matter how obvious and easy they sound rather that post "answered a lot of times, use search". At least, a member can give a link to the Dragcave Wiki.

Edited by Outer Space

I visit Help section frequently, and try to answer questions when I have time. There's a problem there, and I think mods are aware. When a new member asks an easy and obvious question (like when to hatch sunrises, if I live in Europe, how do I get a zombie, why can't I breed split with waterwalker, etc), members mostly tend to post "duplicate" and "use search". The problem is: have you ever tried to actually use search for 10-20 easy noobish questions? It will take you about 3 hours! The first reason is, search is limited. I don't use it much, but even I hate this "Wait 120 seconds" message. And what if you have 5-10 questions at the same time? The second, information is not well organized, and not everything is in the FAQ, so if you don't know the answer, you can waste a lot of time trying to find it. For example, you have sunset/sunrise egg, it is 3d22h, you put it in ER, and it doesn't hatch, because it's the wrong timeframe, but you know nothing about sunset/sunrise dragons, you want to know why doesn't it hatch, - try to use search and find the answer yourself wink.gif How much time did it take?

So my suggestion here is that members (and not mods!) should be more friendly to new users and actually answer questions, no matter how obvious and easy they sound rather that post "answered a lot of times, use search". At least, a member can give a link to the Dragcave Wiki.

Being a major lurker and answerer in the Help section, I can say for a fact that I have never seen anyone post something like "Go search it yourself." or "I've heard this answered a lot of times so obviously you should just know it." Maybe I've just been oblivious to this.

I'm pretty sure people understand that a lot of n00bs come in the Help section, looking for help because they don't get the game all the way yet. If people were that disrespectful as to not answer the questions that people asked but needed to tell the OP to look it up themselves, they'd just get a warn.

And really, I don't even see that many n00bish questions in Help to begin with.

Sometimes I visit Introduce yourself section. There are so many people joining each day, and I think _Z_'s copypaste welcome is the best we can do; it has all the useful links and information, and members are free to go to Introduce myself and welcome new members personally. But being a mod, how much time would you spend to write a personal, individual greeting to every introduction? And how long would you be able to work like this? No, I think that auto greeting is really the best. I recall when I joined the Forum, I've had a lot of questions, so I read _Z_'s post, checked all the links, and I had like 99% of my questions answered.

The problem I see with copypasta in Introductions isn't _Z_'s posts, which I agree make sense to be copypasta, but rather the string of other users who tag along and copy-paste their own greetings into every single thread. There are generally 3-6 additional replies in all Introduction topics besides the post made by _Z_, the vast majority of them identical from thread to thread, with no individualization. The most common being offers to answer PMed questions (although there may be specific questions by the OP which go thoroughly unanswered in the post), or links to the mentor thread. I'm sure that it's those people's intention to create a welcoming environment, but even since the day I joined it's seemed rather artificial to me. (Not to mention the inflationary effects on post counts...)

The problem I see with copypasta in Introductions isn't _Z_'s posts, which I agree make sense to be copypasta, but rather the string of other users who tag along and copy-paste their own greetings into every single thread. There are generally 3-6 additional replies in all Introduction topics besides the post made by _Z_, the vast majority of them identical from thread to thread, with no individualization. The most common being offers to answer PMed questions (although there may be specific questions by the OP which go thoroughly unanswered in the post), or links to the mentor thread. I'm sure that it's those people's intention to create a welcoming environment, but even since the day I joined it's seemed rather artificial to me. (Not to mention the inflationary effects on post counts...)

Yes, but I am one of the people who tries to advertise the mentoring Project as much as possible. It is still the best way to lead new members through Forums and DC.

And I don't see why new members need warm individual welcome (I won't need it, for example). A lot of members register just to trade and read news, they don't need friendship, or warm relationship with people here, and they don't want to be a part of Forum community. So, I think you're trying to make formal procedure non-formal. When you attend to school, college or university, do you receive personal greetings from staff? Even if you do, it's cool, but unnecessary.

Before I started here, I read the first few threadss in the Introductions forum and quickly realized that it is a standard procedure, and I was fine with it. In order to prevent people from actually posting more links in addition to _Z_, maybe the standard greeting could contain a few more links, like to the fansite section and the mentoring project? I never used a mentor, and I'm not sure what a mentor is supposed to do and know, but it seems like a good place to go if you have lots of questions.

Also, there is some truth in the comment about the help section, and I'm going to try to do better in the future. (I actually as good as snapped at the nth person asking why his/her bred Xmas egg had been 'stolen' from their scroll.)

When you want to see a single post, the link would take you TO THAT POST, not to the page it was supposed to be on. (And post numbers showing, so when someone asks where x is, you could say “post ### in this thread”)

Multiple quotes would be good. I know that invision has the option to have them, as another invision board I am on has them enabled.

Why do we need an R rated section, though ? This is the DRAGON CAVE forum – why do we need to chat about p**n or politics or whatever ? And an age thing wouldn’t work – we can lie (you do know I am really 7 years old, right ?? biggrin.gif)

I thought we had spoiler tags ?

The search function is REALLY bad, which is why there are so many threads asking the same things. Could we at least have “search this thread” ? That, too, invision can do. Or a google search facility added within the forum for “advanced search” ? (a VBB board I am on has that and it is WAY better than the software allows.) I know when I first arrived here, I had terrible trouble finding anything, and I am pretty damn good at searching. It was hard to see so many threads deemed to be spamming; I’d like to see a different note when that happens – say, a link to the thread where the question was answered/discussed, and a note saying please read THIS thread. Saying it is spam suggests that the user did it on purpose – and quite often they REALLY didn’t. I was told a thread of mine was spamming once – and it was closed; no link to another; I had spent over an hour searching before I opened the thread, and I never did find the answer – though now I can’t remember what the question was. But that hurt. I really wanted to know whatever it was. (that was an example of unfriendly to newbs, for whoever asked !)

But if people repeatedly open new threads – maybe they should be warned that they will be barred from posting unless they take a mentor ? Would that help ? Some members who are clearly having difficulties are SO resistant – I recall someone banging on through a long and repetitive thread asking more and more very basic questions and saying “but I know what I am doing; I don’t need a mentor, I just want to know this. And this. And this. And so on.”

Bigger inbox.

Yes – more specific guidelines. I was recently warned (no quarrel with that) for something that ISN’T actually mentioned in the guidelines (to which I was directed.) But which should be !

Yes it would be great if users on line were alphabetical !

I think it is fair dos for the artists to have a private area for discussion. And even if it weren’t fair – is it fair that THEY design all our pretties and we don’t ? We are lazy and expect them to do it all so that we can squee over the latest beauty. They get the odd perk – and that is a perfectly reasonable one IMHO. For anyone that wants in there SO badly - become an artist. Easy enough, no ? wink.gif The artists don’t have any more say in the rest of the forum than anyone else, I think. I think we are lucky to HAVE a forum related to the game. But it doesn’t give us the right to demand more and more and more.

I love all you artists. You go and post cheezburgers as often as you like smile.gif Catz iz Good ! You need a dash of light relief while you work IN PRIVATE.

mad.gif Has this smiley ever been used for anything good? It’s kind of hostile and accusatory and, personally, I think that it starts conversations off poorly from the beginning.

Yes actually. For instance – when I accidentally clicked on an egg in the cave and had to wait 5 hours (didn’t want to risk a kill) to carry on my hunt. It made me feel better to post it in my RAGE…. biggrin.gif

Could closed threads be put in a closed thread subforum for each forum area ? I was just looking for an open thread in an area with DOZENS of closed ones at the top of the list…..

I hate thanks boxes, incidentally (saw them suggested) as they tend to lead to popularity contests. We have enough drarmar here ! Karma would be EVEN WORSE.

Cleaning threads etc needs doing. I know on another forum I am on they only let them run to 1000 posts as the strain on the server when you open a great long thread is enormous. So let’s please live with that !

Yes to a very wipable chat section where post count does not go up, or it would be – just awful…. And move interminable squee posts into there…. And posts in the welcome threads shouldn’t count – that would cut down on the copypaste thing, I bet wink.gif

Oh – and one that is ALL MINE – warn for txtspk…. mad.gif (good use of mad.gif, that!)

I have only come across two mods that I have noticed as mods, and the only one with whom I have had to interact (oops blush) was socky – so in answer to her question – I think they and specifically she - are doing GREAT ! And for the record – everything she has suggested sounds good, and I agree with everything she says further down the thread, on principle. Because I REALLY think she has the mod idea down to a T. (I speak as one who gets modded – here and elsewhere…!)

Long descriptions - we can write our own, for pity’s sake. That is a lovely one for the waterwalkers - but it leaves less scope for personalising.... (mem to self: must get on with descriptions...)

Is there a way to autoblock egg clicking links ? One forum I am on, links to specific forums are automatically blocked, so….

Edited by fuzzbucket