Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I agree that threads should always be closed with a reason. Even if its a lame one like "dead post, no longer needed".

I'm very very very very much in agreement with you guys.

Spelunker just proved it: confirming she did *not* ask for closure, *and* that she assumed it got closed because people reported it. Which, even with yosofine's post here, it's still unclear if it was closed because too many people reported it, or just because a mod felt like it was getting out of hand.

Imo, when the *OP* doesn't have any idea why their own thread was closed, that's a serious problem in communication. I know *some* mods have said they PM users when their threads are closed, but not all do. And frankly, I think it's pretty insulting to start a thread that gets a lot of users responding to the idea, and then have it closed with *no explanation*.

I think awhile back we talked (in this thread? Somewhere...) about if Mods have certain Rules they have to adhere to *as mods*, the way users do as users. I would seriously support an actual *rule* that a post has to be made when a thread is closed. It can be a simple copy/paste for things like duplicates, but come on, *some* sort of explanation is, well, just common courtesy.

I agree that a reason should ALWAYS be publicly posted when a thread is closed.

At the very least it will let users know what they should try to avoid doing in the future.

Posts have /usually/ been made when a thread was closed; it's only been recently that things have become lazy.

Okay, so this discussion is pretty pointless.

Almost every time a thread is closed, the mod posts a reason. This case is the only base I've seen in a while where a reason wasn't posted. Oh well; people make mistakes, it was a one-off thing. There's no need to act as if this is some change that needs making when almost every other time, a reason[/url] is posted.

Thank you for providing information.

However, it needs to be made 100% of the time, not 99%. People cannot afford to make mistakes like that when they hold this sort of position.

While I think I have you here, what about a subforum for "Update Requests", since there seems to be an UNDENIABLE thirst for change?

And he's gone.

Edited by gistofeverything

However, it needs to be made 100% of the time, not 99%. People cannot afford to make mistakes like that when they hold this sort of position.

Absolutely no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes.

Absolutely no one is perfect. Everyone makes mistakes.

That's why we have a team. ANY moderator can post in a closed topic within their section.

That's why we have a team. ANY moderator can post in a closed topic within their section.

Yes, but other mods aren't always available. Plus, even with a team something will eventually fall through the cracks. Not giving a reason for a thread closure didn't hurt anyone, it's a rather minor mistake to make. It might have inconvenienced someone for a short time, but it certainly caused no harm.

I agree that it should happen every time, but mistakes happen. They should be corrected, but harping on every little thing is rather pointless.

Perhaps all the info has already been posted, perhaps if you do not understand why a topic has been closed you can pm a mod. Sometimes a topic is closed because it is a private decision, we mods do not feel it is necessary to call a member out on, or put up for debate. Our mod team( Check the mod link) works very well together. I am very proud of them. smile.gif

I partially agree with gist. We have a team so mistakes are less orobable, not that they wont happen.

But: we also have a team to correct mistakes faster. So: please can someone take the time and post in the already closed threads?

This concerns the incomprehensibility(no reason at all) and silver update(explicit reason given way back in the thread, but not at the end) threads.

_Z_ it was this thread that was closed without explanation:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=151429

I also mentioned the EATW thread, which some have said there WAS an explanation, but it was wiped and the explanation was gone with the wipe, but since I missed it, there was no reason given, just a thread closed saying it was going to be wiped(yet the wipe had happened and it was still closed).

Edited by Nectaris

_Z_ it was this thread that was closed without explanation:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=151429

I also mentioned the EATW thread, which some have said there WAS an explanation, but it was wiped and the explanation was gone with the wipe, but since I missed it, there was no reason given, just a thread closed saying it was going to be wiped(yet the wipe had happened and it was still closed).

I imagine because it was a non-starter ? But it would have been nice if it had said so,

As for EATW - my immediate thought was that the latest changes would so much affect the game that TJ wanted them stopped, but did not want them discussed further ? I saw that closure as very reasonable indeed, myself.

In my opinion, I thought that the incomprehensibility thread was closed because discussion was fairly moderate when I went to bed, but when I woke up it had flameballed into something just below bullying.

I just assumed that it had to do with the mods posting in opposition of the idea; that is, they were saying, "no, this isn't going to happen."

The POINT of what I am saying, is not what can be assumed about why something is closed, but that you SHOULDN'T HAVE TO ASSUME. I shouldn't have to run to a mod to find out a basic reason why it was closed. Yeah, I agree it doesn't need to be detailed, and for details pming is fine, but you should at least get the gist of why it was closed in the final post.

I'm not confused about why these were closed, I just wish I could edit my egg because it looks too much like the one I used as an inspiration. I'm really good at eyeballing things and sometimes I accidently replicate them. I sort of did that there and I wish I could right my wrong. sad.gif I actualy drew a new one and showed it to the original artist of the one I used as an inspiration and she said it was fine. I made a derpy mistake and now because the topic is locked, I can't fix it. sad.gif Oh well.

It would be nice if there was an across-the-board rule that when someone posts a new thread, they have to put the rules to their thread at the top, or very close to the top and very clearly labeled. I, for one, don't have time to read all the way through a 2,000-plus word essay to find the rules before posting a single-sentence comment. I also don't want to break any rules by accident. Also, most people do not finish reading a topic before they post, so any hidden rules probably will not be noticed. I will finish reading, however irritating it is to, but most people will not.

It might also be nice if the newest page of posts were shown first in a topic, with the first post (the author's post) always shown above them all. That way we wouldn't have to navigate to the end of a topic to continue a conversation. But that's not all that important.

smile.gif

Edited by LipizzanerKgirl

I agree. It rarely happens, but even in this thread, the last post was actually one asking for clarification. I'd also like to know why EATW was deleted for no apparent reason. Yes, we can assume that it's because TJ didn't want so-and-so, but Nectaris is right in saying that we should not have to assume.

The reasons may be reasonable, but it isn't clear as to what they actually are at the moment.

I agree. It rarely happens, but even in this thread, the last post was actually one asking for clarification. I'd also like to know why EATW was deleted for no apparent reason. Yes, we can assume that it's because TJ didn't want so-and-so, but Nectaris is right in saying that we should not have to assume.

The reasons may be reasonable, but it isn't clear as to what they actually are at the moment.

That person got the clarification they were asking for in PM. I would have preferred to have been able to post my longer explination for why i felt it was unneeded in the thread, but it closed sometime in the time i was typing.

You guys have to admit though, the thread was rather hostile, and thats a pretty good reason for it to be closed. I didnt want to post in it because my views were totally different than what you guys were pitching, but i did, because i felt our rules already cover it.

Now: Tj stated that that thread was one of very few to be closed without a reason. I'm sure the mod that closed it now knows there should be a reason given. I think our point was made tongue.gif

I'd like to see inactive dragon requests (+2 months without a reply) moved to an Inactive Requests section. Right now, DR is 21 pages deep. Pretty much everything past page 8 is dead. I think this'd give artists who want to help concepts a better idea of what's still worth helping and what's nearly beyond help. Perhaps if the OP of a thread or somebody with significant interest in an Inactive Request asked for it to be moved back and showed correspondence with an artist or progress with the art, it could be moved back. Perhaps any threads that went for longer than 6 months without a reply would be auto-locked, the OP and all artists on the thread PM'd, and the thread would be given a week to regain interest before deletion. The deleted thread info could be PM'd to the OP, and artists could ask for the info if they wanted it.

EDIT: I'd also like to see a list of topics in Suggestions that is updated every 2 days or so. I think it'd be a great way to avoid duplicate threads that clutter up the board, and avoid "searched, but did not find" situations. I've actually started to compile a list of suggestions, including closed ones. For closed suggestions that weren't dupes, I've been listing the reason why.

Edited by Spelunker

This forum has become hostile towards opinions and I'm already taking my leave from suggestions and requests and discussions. It's too heated, people are shot down, there's so much aggression and bullying. I literally came back about a month ago and I kind of want to leave already.

What's happening, people?

I'd like to see inactive dragon requests (+2 months without a reply) moved to an Inactive Requests section. Right now, DR is 21 pages deep. Pretty much everything past page 8 is dead. I think this'd give artists who want to help concepts a better idea of what's still worth helping and what's nearly beyond help. Perhaps if the OP of a thread or somebody with significant interest in an Inactive Request asked for it to be moved back and showed correspondence with an artist or progress with the art, it could be moved back. Perhaps any threads that went for longer than 6 months without a reply would be auto-locked, the OP and all artists on the thread PM'd, and the thread would be given a week to regain interest before deletion. The deleted thread info could be PM'd to the OP, and artists could ask for the info if they wanted it.

I'm neutral on this. Sometimes artists are slow [school, etc] and a topic can be "dead" for quite a while while the artist is shading the adults or something. Something like this would only encourage OPs to do unnecessary bumps of the thread, when a PM to the artist is the only reasonable way to "bump" them.

I also envision a lot of bumps at just under two months of inactivity from active OPs with inactive threads.

It would have to be posts by the OP don't count as activity, as well as bumps by others [since some people stalk a thread and bump it, even though they're not the OP]. Otherwise the OP would just come up with something to say that would make it technically not a "bump" because the post is asking for crits or something.

My thread is inactive, because my artist is tied up with a commission right now. There is progress being made, they just havent posted. I dont think its hurting anything to let the topics sit right where they are, except when you are looking for a specific post.