ksew

Stephen King

I've read a good number of his short stories, Carrie, Misery, the Shining and the seven Dark Tower books. Carrie was quite good, Misery was awesome all the way through. The Shining...ehh, it was alright. I haven't seen the movie, but I get the feeling I would like it better. The Dark Tower, though, particularly the first three, would probably qualify as some of my favorite books ever.

His books are really easy to find, too, and I work at a bookstore where I'm paid in books, so I have around a shelf and a half with nothing but Stephen King. I'll get around to reading the rest of his writing eventually.

King is, frankly, Epic. I know some people find him too wordy, but I just love the books. I would put The Stand right up there in the list of all-time classics.

Re: the dragon thing... you're not getting confused with Dragon Tears which is a Dean Koontz book are you?

I don't think so. I think it's probably the one that Ksew mentioned. xd.png

Ah, Eyes of the Dragon biggrin.gif First full King book I ever read... ... when I was eleven... and did a school report on it...

Anyway, I am very much a King fan, and am re-reading Misery :> His novels tend to get a little eh at times (and I will say right now, I LOATHED The Long Walk, it was a painful read), but I love his short stories, especially The Jaunt and Survivor Type.

The first Stephen King novel I read was Duma Key, and I adored it. It's still one of my favourite books. I loved the fact that he relied more on creeping chills than all-out gore in it. I also swear by On Writing whenever I'm doing any writing of my own. He's got some very good tips in that book.

Has anyone read his new one, Full Dark, No Stars yet? I can't decide whether to go and get a copy or not.

No, but I'm going to got a copy asap...

I read the Dreamcatcher, and I thought it was genius. I couldn't put it down, I had goosebumps throughout the whole read and it stayed with me a long time after. I tried to read another book of his after, I think it was Duma Kay, and I gave up about 40 pages into the book. Haven't tried anything of his since.

Unfortunately as of yet I've only read two Stephen King Novels. The Stand and The Shining. I have a few more, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet. I really love the ones I've read, though.

My favourite is Misery but i've read some of his short stories as well... like L.Ts Theory of Pets.

It's less blood but still enough creepyness and a little funny and true as well.

I guess it was one of the best stories in Everything's Eventual. biggrin.gif

I like Stephen King. :3 My favorites are Firestarter, Carrie, and The Langoliers. The Langoliers really freaked me out for some reason.

There are a couple of books of his I still need to read.

He's definitely my favourite author. :3 Reading Green Mile now; I've read Pet Sematary, Cujo, a few short story books like Night Shift or Everything's Eventual, Hearts in Atlantis, Carrie, of course It, The Dark Half, Roadwork, Four Past Midnight... and here the list probably ends thanks to our stupid tiny library. dry.gif

It's amusing how many of my female classmates read Jacqueline Wilson while I read Stephen King and Poe. xd.png

Has anyone read his The Dark Tower series? I'm currently on book 4 and loving it so far.

I read one of his books that talk about how to be a better writer and how he got started in being a writer as well, I found it very interesting.

I think he writes brilliantly and knows how to tell a good story. I read a few of his books: Cujo was first, then Misery, Pet Semetary, and Christine. I tried to read Insomnia, but I couldn't get too far into it. Next I want to read Carrie, because I hear it's good.

I think Stephen King is a fantastic writer. I'm not a fan of all his books though. I found myself getting bored with some of them, like the Dark Tower books and The Shining. But my favorites by him are, The Stand, Eyes of the Dragon (which does give mention of a dragon that gets killed, and it's head plays a very important part throughout the book), Carrie, It, and The Green Mile.

Fantastic coincidence right at the moment of typing this. I'm watching the Family Guy episode where they do three versions of different King stories. blink.gif

I've read numerous Stephen King's books some I really enjoyed, others I find too boring and just can't get into.

I loved: Cujo, Christine, Misery, The Green Mile, Storm of the Century, Thinner, Dolores Claibourne, ( The early Bachman Books) The Dark Half and many others.

Didn't get into: Duma Key, the Cell, It ( never been able to read all of it.) the Dead Zone

I enjoy many of his short story collections. Didn't mind Carrie, The Shining but it isn't one of my tops for him and his writing. Not to mention there are many of his stories I haven't read like the stand, Dreamcatcher, the Langoliers.

You never really know where Stephen King will take you but it is usually a fairly interesting read.

I read misery recently and it was pretty gruesome and attention grabbing. I was excited til the very end, IMO the end was weak but other than that it was awesome

King is pretty hit-or-miss with me. Some of his books I just love, and some I can't even make it halfway through. I loved It, The Stand, Carrie, Desperation, From a Buick 8, Eyes of the Dragon, and some of his short stories. I couldn't finish the first Dark Tower, Needful Things, The Dark Half, Insomnia, and probably others that I've forgotten. Only a few are just meh, like The Shining (sort of liked) and Cujo (well-written, but I wanted more supernatural stuff!).

I started to read Needful Things, and it was really good, but I ended up not getting through it. I plan on trying again soon.

My mom loaned me Misery and The Stand, so I'm going to start them over the summer.

I read 'Under the dome' years ago and watched movie 'Mist'.

This made me thought it will be movie when I saw 'Under the dome' thread on visual media section.

I was really into Stephen King when I was a teenager, but I tried to read Gerald's Game in my late teens and just couldn't get through it. I thought that maybe I'd got a bit tired of him, so I decided to take a break. Before that I loved many of his stories. Some of my favourites are Misery; The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon; Dolores Claiborne; Four Past Midnight; and Cujo. I always thought it was a pity that he doesn't remember writing Cujo, because that's one creepy book.

But this spring I read the novellas The Body and The Breathing Method, and just got a hankering. So I've ploughed through Bag of Bones (loved it); Salem's Lot (not a new fave, but pretty good); 11.22.63 (loved it); Christine (so creepy); Gerald's Game (no wonder I couldn't get through it the first time around - it really is among his weaker works); The Stand (I don't love it as much as everyone else seems to love it, but I really enjoyed it); and Revival (excellent start, but the ending's rather weak.)

I no longer have any unread Stephen King books on my bookshelf and I'm getting slight withdrawal symptoms, lol. I've been reading at least a Stephen King a month since January and now I'm quitting cold turkey.

I've been meaning to read King's books but I don't where to start, where would you people suggest to start?

Its all horror for stephen king, but the type of horror that you like depends i believe, on which books draw you in, keep you there, or just distance you from the story and makes people go 'eh'. For me, my first was Dead Zone, and its what got me hooked on his writing. 

Back then, he had psychological thrillers as well as supernatural, paranormal, evil human horrors, unsettling scenes and unconventional endings. After awhile I saw more gory and more swearing and violence. (Unsure about his more current writings.) I prefer the first types rather than the latter types. Probably why The Stand and Eyes of the Dragon were my next favorite reads. (And Dark Tower!)

I like the fact that many of his books have subtle ties to one another - either by recurring character, location, or mention.

Been ages since I've read his stuff, though. I need to catch up on his books.

I'd recommend starting with a book of his short stories. They usually have a good mix in them, and not too time-investing.

Edited by Lady_Kilana

1 hour ago, zorua9 said:

I've been meaning to read King's books but I don't where to start, where would you people suggest to start?

I recommend Carrie, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, or The Mist! Carrie is a classic (and my personal favorite by him), but The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is less intense and lengthy than his other books, like It or Doctor Sleep. The Mist is another one of his shorter stories, but it focuses on something more true to his usual writing. If you are looking to start off with something more sinister, The Shining is a good bet. 

I used to be a huge King fan, but I've lost my love for his writing over the years. It just doesn't interest me anymore. Some of his works that I've read are Misery, Pet Cemetery, The Mist, Thinner, Dreamcatcher, and the others mentioned above :)

I really liked Carrie and Firestarter, plus the short story Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Of course, since seeing the movie of the last one, I can't picture Red as an actual Irish-American anymore, lol! ("Why do they call you Red?" "Maybe because I'm Irish," in Morgan Freeman's voice, too perfect!) Misery was pretty good as well.