Yubelchen

Monster Hunter

So I'm finding out I'm absolutely terrible at trapping monsters. I know that it's about time to get them when they're slobbering, but I'm still a bad judge. They always get away or I just flat-out kill them. Oops.

(Which is why I love free-hunting things in Moga Woods. I have a pretty solid inventory now xd.png)

I've gotten used to fighting underwater now with the d-pad/touch screen. Honestly I prefer fighting large monsters underwater over on land because of being able to hit them from all angles. Well, I say that now, only having fought Royal Ludroths and the Angler Puffer Fish guy (name will come to me eventually). We'll see how I feel after Lagiacrus/Other Larger sea-beasties.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Usually you can just let it get away and then lay down a trap while they sleep, especially if you're trying to capture a black Diablos for twisted horns (HOOOOLY CRAP attempting to lay down a trap with her breathing down your neck is not fun). If you're afraid you might kill it by waking it up, try a paintball. They don't do damage. :P

Trust me, use paintballs if you're afraid they're super close.

I've killed things by kicking them awake. And by throwing a stone. :C

Edited by Lythiaren

Lady, the Angler Puffer Fish guy is the Gobul. Hacking that lantern from his head makes for good weapons and armor.

I tend to get them down to limping rather than slobbering before I try to capture them. When they slobber they're low on stamina, and they've regained it too fast (sometimes by snacking on me xd.png ) for me to try to trap them. When they limp off and go to sleep in their nest area, I set the trap, wake them up, and draw them into the trap. A couple of tranquilizer bombs knock them out.

The tremor spam one is the one I get the most. ow my sad.gif

Oh man if you like reading up on old content, I bet you've gone through people's WoLaS horror stories. People who managed it without help earned some sort of divine right to tell people to "just hit it til it stops moving".

Kind of hard when I'm trying to dodge Silver Rathalos' claw/fireball AND Gold Rathian backflips at the same time because it was an arena quest. I could never do enough damage to take one or the other down in the span of 5 flashbombs and a pitfall, much less getting all the carves, but some people did and I'm forever wondering howwwww. D:

I only managed it when I took out a Gypceros blade and ran around on the ledge hitting their wings and flailing like a madman.

I have indeed been reading about that quest. It sounds like an absolute nightmare Dx I, since I don't own that particular game, haven't done that quest but I have done one that's similar in 3U: Moonlit Tryst. Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos, top of the tower. The area you fight them in is bigger, but you can't use pitfalls or take one down to somehow make the other have less health, plus they simply spam those nukes. It's a pretty bad quest.

Do I earn some sort of divine right to tell people to "just hit it til it stops moving" if I say I managed to solo that quest? :3

ALSO can I say that I have now twice solo'd a Lucent Nargacuga?

You capture monsters when they limp. I tend to go to the area where the sleep, go right up to where their little feets are, set a shock trap and give them a rude wakeup call, then throw a couple tranqs. Or with monsters like the Jade Barroth or Savage Deviljho, once they're limping I go right to the entrance of the secret areas before they get there as they will always go there, set the trap and they can't avoid it.

So often me and my sis have been going crazy on a monster and I'll suddenly say to hold back, it might be limping now - and I'm usually correct xd.png Likewise some monsters go to a particular area that isn't their sleep area when they're captureable.

Yeah, I heard about the contest. I'm literally just a year and a bit too young though, so I couldn't enter if I wanted - which I did want ;;

My brother actually has a Trap Master set so he knows exactly when we need to stop nowadays. xd.png

Guys, after an entire day of tedious work, I'VE FINALLY REACHED HIGH RANK!

But the purple ludroth is super annoying. Can anyone give me tips on him? Are there items or talismans that prevent poison?

Edit: I beat him. Phew, my fingers are tired.. I still want to know though, are there any items that boost poison recovery?

Edited by Melomancer

I've only been playing mostly on weekends now, but I too have finally reached high rank!

Ceadeus was a total pain. Not because it was hard, but because the thing moves so quickly out of range that I had a hard time knocking his horn off and then slashing him enough to repel him.

I seriously think I only had a minute or two left. It was on the wire haha.

I've become super good at capturing monsters. Other than freehunt I prefer capturing because I feel like I get more items out of it/chances for better items.

I've only been playing mostly on weekends now, but I too have finally reached high rank!

Ceadeus was a total pain. Not because it was hard, but because the thing moves so quickly out of range that I had a hard time knocking his horn off and then slashing him enough to repel him.

I seriously think I only had a minute or two left. It was on the wire haha.

I've become super good at capturing monsters. Other than freehunt I prefer capturing because I feel like I get more items out of it/chances for better items.

Congrats! I think at that point in the game you can only repel him, simply because any available weapons just aren't good enough. But his health carries over from quest to quest so you'll eventually be able to kill him. And eventually he'll become such a pushover you'll be surprised at how much you've improved. With G Rank weapons I can break his mane off in the first area and kill him in under fifteen minutes x)

And yes, capturing usually leads to obtaining more and/or better rewards. For some monsters like Nargacuga it makes no difference, but for others, absolutely.

-------------

Also I've passed HR 240! My sister and I, working together, have now learned how to make Lucent Nargacuga a total pushover (bring combines, and Evade +1 helps tons for those poison spikes and tail attacks. We've completed most of the Event Quests, including the Lucent Nargacuga, Abyssal Lagiacrus (three and a half minutes left on that, never again), super Ivory Lagiacrus, G Rank Jhen Mohran, the dual arena Savage Deviljho (missed a smoke bomb, terror ensued...), G Rank Alatreon (three times)... really all we have left are the super Stygian Zinogre and Brachydios. Lasted up to half an hour against Stygian, but his Dragonblight and aggressive behaviour always gets the best of us.

Also, how does everyone feel about the English names revealed for some of Monster Hunter 4U's monsters?

Goa Magara is now Gore Magala

Garara Ajara - Najarala

Tetsukabura - Tetsucabra

Tigrex Sub - Brute Tigrex

Nerusukyura - Nerscylla

Aruserutasu - Seltas

Generu Serutasu - Seltas Queen

Zaboazagiru - Zamtrios

I personally think the Seltas could have been a little better... but I'm loving Najarala's name. Still a tongue twister!

Edited by rampaging wyvern

Seltas is pretty blah. It is for a giant insect though.

I'm liking the variety of monsters coming out for 4 though (amphibians, a for real snake wyvern, and more large class insect monsters). Looks like a lot of fun.

Best of all is online accessibility! I can't wait to actually play the game with some other people to help out on some of the hunts.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Not liking some of them, personally. I've been calling it Goa Magara for so long I'm going to wind up giving up on the official translation and mashing them together into "Gore Magara" or something. Chances are I'll eventually drop the first word altogether and just call it Magara, much like Los, Plessy, Narga, Peco, Lagi, Brachy, etc.

Calling it now, the Zamtrios sub quest title will involve land/sand sharks even though the title originally went to Cephadrome and its minions. :V

Not liking some of them, personally. I've been calling it Goa Magara for so long I'm going to wind up giving up on the official translation and mashing them together into "Gore Magara" or something. Chances are I'll eventually drop the first word altogether and just call it Magara, much like Los, Plessy, Narga, Peco, Lagi, Brachy, etc.

Calling it now, the Zamtrios sub quest title will involve land/sand sharks even though the title originally went to Cephadrome and its minions. :V

I've been using the English names now to get used to them. I really did not like Gore Magala when I first heard it but now I'm indifferent to it.

I would personally like something along the lines of 'you're gonna need a bigger weapon' :B

I've been using the English names now to get used to them. I really did not like Gore Magala when I first heard it but now I'm indifferent to it.

I would personally like something along the lines of 'you're gonna need a bigger weapon' :B

*Correction, two bigger weapons. Dual Blades forever!!!

(Because I am terrible about remembering to block so I'd much rather just learn how the monster moves and get right in and get in a ton of hits. Demon mode is awesome too, though so many dash juices needed for larger/powerful monsters)

I'm fairly indifferent to monster names. I usually just shorten things or call them by "oh crud that thing is coming at me" or "That jerk poison monster who won't give me any fearsome maws even though I break parts of it and capture it" (ok I do know that one, gigginox. I've been trying to upgrade my Bloodwings for a while now to have a higher sharpness poison weapon.... I'll get it eventually...)

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Longsword forever! I enjoy dual blades but they feel too spammy and too weak for me to use seriously :U Longsword's slower and packs a lot more per hit, plus I can halt combos more easily to stop flinching my sis from attacks. She on the other hand... as a dual blade and switch-axe user... it's either she'll be comboing you and cannot stop and you'll get hit by the monster because no can dodge, and then you have upswing time all the time. At least when she longswords I don't get tripped all the time >3>

On the other hand, dual blades are great for tripping a monster...

Also my parents are considering trading in our Wii and buying a Wii U... I'll be getting MH3U for online then! Lack of 3D'll take a little getting used to but eh.

I'm a SA/Bow person myself. I also have the odd SnS and I play glaive in 4 because leaping everywhere like a bunch of fleas is fun.

Let me tell you about my SA teammate launches. TO SAFETY!

I will also shamelessly admit to using the infamous Kelbi bow because, unlike people who get it by having their friends carry them because they heard it was OP, I know how to use it. It's not necessarily a weapon you use for the damage, I use it as a status weapon because it can use every phial except slime, which comes built in if you're in Awakening gear. I like to sleep bomb things, so my Ceadeus set is kitted out for Bombardier, with the added bonus of boosting my slime explosions at the same time! :V

Edited by Lythiaren

I enjoy messing around with the bow. Considering creating a set for that... my sis and I successfully completed the arena Deviljho (the arena quests where you have to pick from a selection of random sets) two times using the Alatreon bow and I had fun doing it.

Also newest trailer!

Oh joy they brought back Black Diablos. All that remains to be seen now is whether or not that devil can be infected...

And 'Steve' (the flagship monster) is revealed in all his glory. Looks like some interesting Rathian-Nargacuga-Cockatrice-pinecone mix. I like it.

They need to put MH back on the big screen, it's such an epic game and deserves more the tiny DS.

I bought it for the DS but couldnt get into it like that. I miss Tri on the Wii sad.gif

I respectfully disagree. I'm infinitely grateful for the switch to a portable console. I have no room for a tv in my room, I refuse to play games out where my parents will overhear and complain and I don't have the money to hand out for one anyway, not with gradual saving up for the new 3DS with my old one wearing out.

Personally I think a smaller screen does more for the game than 'bigger is better'. On a large screen, Tri looks worse than 3 Ultimate does.

Also NEW TRAILER.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-SJ-fpEPXvg

Looks like we have a G-Rank Dara Amadyura heeheeeheeee hopefully with better hitboxes and less meteors or whatever those were.

Longsword forever! I enjoy dual blades but they feel too spammy and too weak for me to use seriously :U Longsword's slower and packs a lot more per hit, plus I can halt combos more easily to stop flinching my sis from attacks. She on the other hand... as a dual blade and switch-axe user... it's either she'll be comboing you and cannot stop and you'll get hit by the monster because no can dodge, and then you have upswing time all the time. At least when she longswords I don't get tripped all the time >3>

On the other hand, dual blades are great for tripping a monster...

Also my parents are considering trading in our Wii and buying a Wii U... I'll be getting MH3U for online then! Lack of 3D'll take a little getting used to but eh.

Ooooh, if you get wii U, 4 of us could all play online. biggrin.gif

Me=Great Sword, Bow.

Also, I think it's nice to have the games on both console and portable. Honestly (and this might just be me), I think MH3U on 3DS is a pain to control without the extra D-Pad.

On a sour note, I died for the first time. High Rank- Yes, I'm looking at you Pink Rathian- hit me like a bag of bricks. sad.gif

Well I think it's pretty safe to say a Wii U and a copy of MH3U for it are going to be a thing in my house come Christmas! I'm excited o3o

On another note I just bought two more plushies today. Gravios and Teostra. I like to call Teostra a sparkle-pug because he looks like one <3

After an initial failed attempt (gosh the horror, my file seemed to have been lost for good), I have my MH3U 3DS save file transferred to the Wii U! And I have a copy of the same file on my 3DS thanks to the backup feature which means I'll never again have to risk seeing that horrible error message that was the result of my first attempt.

Still getting used to the gamepad in place of a 3DS but otherwise, good to go! If anyone wants to hunt with me let me know; just be aware my internet might result in an iffy connection.

So that Monster Hunter 4 limited edition New 3DS looks pretty slick. Considering the Majora's Mask one is super sold out and scalped I might pick up the MH4U one instead.

Even though I already have the collector's edition game ordered and the N3DS comes with the game installed. I guess I can just sell the physical copy because no way I'm letting go of that gore magala statue/figure.

So I have a few codes left (emailed to me early access) for the MH4U demo for the 3DS if anyone is interested. I'm not bothering with downloading the demo since I'm getting the game and I've played enough MH3U to know what it's about.

EDIT: Appears that these codes are region locked, so I can only give them out to other North Americans D:

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

I'm not bothering with downloading the demo since I'm getting the game and I've played enough MH3U to know what it's about.

I thought the same but after I tried the demo I was glad that I did keep one code for myself. You can choose between 3 monsters (Great Jaggi, don't know the name of the 2nd one atm and Gora Magala) and between one set of every weapon in the game. That way You are able to test out the new weapons as well as the old ones and see what changed. Also you are able to see how the new "jump" feature works and get to see some of the new areas smile.gif