Yubelchen

Monster Hunter

Reviving this thread because Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate for Wii U and 3DS are coming out on the 19th. I'm really excited about both, but I want to wait on the reviews before I rush out and buy it. I'm leaning towards the 3DS version so I can play it on the go.

Have you tried the demo on your 3DS?

I fought the giant bunny and found the controls to be a fairly responsive and intuitive conversion. There's even a D-pad on the touchscreen you can use for camera so you don't have to retrain your claw hand too much.

Everyone here has already seen my railing with regard to MH on wii (eg. advanced claw hand hfglasjdkljasfs), so I'll spare you.

Lyth, I remember your comments and they're justified. Capcom took so many shortcuts with MH3; I still thought it was enjoyable because it was challenging, but the monsters were very repetitive due to the way Capcom designed it. I called Agnaktor "Fire Lagiacrus."

I'll have to check the demo out. I'm truly hoping they don't do shortcuts like they did for MH3, I truly hope MH3 ultimate is a combination of MH3 and MH3G.

Retraining my hands as we speak.

I've ordered it for the 3DS. The expansive monster list (plus the fact that it's Monster Hunter 3G in Japan, I've been wanting to play that since it was announced) convinced me to pick it up.

I've started playing it and so far it is good.

It handles just like Tri, so the controls feel natural. My only issue so far was figuring out how to open the main menu.

Use start for the menu. And actually this is different from 3G, this is better than 3G, that was just kind of a rushed port, and this is more polished, so I don't care about not getting 3G in the US.

What all weapons is everyone using? I'm going with DS. I did SnS in Tri, but I never was very good at blocking, I preferred just dashing in to attack and evading out, which is more DS style.

Edited by manticore

Manticore, I read that Tri Ultimate for the 3DS was released in Japan as 3G, but they polished it with HD graphics and some other tweaks for the Wii U, so it's not a straight port to that system.

For those of you who tried the demo on the 3DS, how does it compare to the actual game? I've never played a Monster Hunter game but I tried the demo because people were talking about it. But the demo seemed to be like, "here you go, kill this thing," and I had no idea what I was doing. >.< The game seems to have a lot of potential though, but does it actually have a good storyline? The demo was strictly about giving the player a taste of the fighting and controls, nothing else.

I've played the life out of the demo on 3DS xd.png Killed the Lagombi so many times I can't remember. I have managed to kill the Plesioth three times no biggrin.gif

The controls are easy once you get the hang of them, but it isn't very welcoming to newcomers like me. I spent three playthroughs just trying to get to grips with the controls. But otherwise I'm impressed. the sounds and music are great, and the graphics are impressive, especially monster-wise. Gonna get the full game.

3G, that was just kind of a rushed port

You do know that the G versions in Japan are the expanded versions... right? Calling the expanded version "G" is something of an alien concept to the west. So Capcom called it "Ultimate" for MH3 over here.

Example: MHP2G/MHFU for PSP was MHP2/MHF2 with more content, most notably Nargacuga, or "Cougrex" as the western audience called it before the official English version was released.

-----

And Windnose: Monster Hunter isn't really plot-driven. There's a sort-of plot (ie. semi-explanation for quest unlock order, and excuses for restrictions) but it can actually be completely ignored without adversely affecting the game experience unless you really really want to know why you're being sent to kill Jaggi or look for mushrooms outside of town. All quests are even repeatable. You could be facing off against Barioth and Gigginox one day and the next you could be running around the woods in short-shorts punching Kelbi and catching butterflies if you felt like it.

I do hear that they cut new players some slack in this one though. MH in general has historically had a very steep learning curve but from what I hear the early major fights have been tuned down to make it more about learning how to fight and dodge effectively rather than how to make your whetstones last through a long session of "let's learn boss cues".

Edited by Lythiaren

I liked that steep learning curve in Tri, although it made me go "wot?" when I first played it. The Barioth is where the curve hit me, and that fight was hard the first time; that was the first monster I ever needed to come up with a strategy for. I never found that a barrier preventing entry into the series, but I'm glad they toned it down to make it more gradual.

And Windnose: Monster Hunter isn't really plot-driven. There's a sort-of plot (ie. semi-explanation for quest unlock order, and excuses for restrictions) but it can actually be completely ignored without adversely affecting the game experience unless you really really want to know why you're being sent to kill Jaggi or look for mushrooms outside of town. All quests are even repeatable. You could be facing off against Barioth and Gigginox one day and the next you could be running around the woods in short-shorts punching Kelbi and catching butterflies if you felt like it.

I do hear that they cut new players some slack in this one though. MH in general has historically had a very steep learning curve but from what I hear the early major fights have been tuned down to make it more about learning how to fight and dodge effectively rather than how to make your whetstones last through a long session of "let's learn boss cues".

Eh, with little to no storyline, I'm not sure if I would enjoy the game. I'll keep the demo, maybe watch some playthroughs, and then maybe buy it after I have more money. I can definitely see why some people would like the game. Thanks for the information. :3

Yeah MH is more focused on the fighting rather than storytelling. You play the role of a hunter and it's just a profession in that world. Firebreathing wyverns, packs of raptors, giant paralysis bugs and massive dragons are just animals that get into people's stuff sometimes and hunters are basically animal control. There's definitely worldbuilding there if you talk to civilian NPCs a lot, but it's not at the forefront. Most NPCs just spend the whole game going "I heard there's a [target of your next Urgent] in the area what will we do???" but there's usually a couple of people who talk about something other than current events.

-----

@purple:

Oh jeez, Barioth. When I first saw it and the way it moved, my brain clicked immediately and I went "CRAP CRAP CRAP" because I knew exactly what it was based on. Like Nargacuga, it was lightning quick and its cues were so short that the fight was really unforgiving; let's just say I was very glad I was playing multiplayer the first time I encountered Barioth. orz

Oh man this game series. Its given me such a hard time.

Royal Ludroth on Tri took long enough to work out, then immediately after that Deviljo kind of made me lose interest.

The 3DS demo relives it all quite well xd.png. I've worked out the controls despite the lack of a tutorial, I'm not taking damage and dealing so many hits yet I still can't beat that damn Lagombi.

The 3DS demo relives it all quite well xd.png. I've worked out the controls despite the lack of a tutorial, I'm not taking damage and dealing so many hits yet I still can't beat that damn Lagombi.

If it doesn't have a tutorial, then I'm not gonna like it. Hope it works out for you guys, though. All I could do was set down bombs, I don't even know how to use my weapon.

I'm almost done with the 3-star quests in Tri Ultimate, and I'm enjoying it. It's weird playing the same quests from my Wii game on my handheld, but I love the new weapons! My favorites were the dual blades, but I had to lose those once I fought the Qurupeco. I want to try the bow and maybe the switch axe, I never got the hang of it in Tri. I also like the new monsters, like Wroggi and Arzuros.

I have 3 Ultimate for 3DS and actually found the game relatively easy, at least up until G-Rank. I have solo'ed everything with a longsword. Some monsters took me a while to get, like Duramboros, Deviljho and Jhen Mohran, but even those I can now kill nearly every time I tackle them. I even have the full set of Deviljho armour C: The only monster I can't kill is Alatreon. Oh god, Alatreon.

Then there's G-Rank. I decided to treat it like starting over, but upon obtaining the G. Jaggi armour, I realized its defense is the same as my Deviljho armour's. My Deviljho armour also has some great skills so I'd rather not change it. And then there's the fact that because I don't mind a few hits, I haven't learnt how to dodge well. So monsters like Plesioth can take me down in five hits (dang that tail swing of Plesioth's!). G-Rank has pretty much stopped me from playing. :|

Eeee, this thread needs more attention. Monster Hunter needs more attention on DC in general.

I've been playing Monster Hunter for four years now, played all the games on PSP and Tri on Wii.

Finished all the quests on all the games and got the highest HRs. x:

Now I just do G-rank quests whenever I find time to play.

Downloaded the demo for Monster Hunter Ultimate a few days ago... Tried a quest and found the controls to be horribly stiff and off.

Maybe I've been playing on PSP for too long.. XuX

Edited by suskekun222

I was never a fan of the original Tri but the 3DS controls are customizable. Even the intial camera angle, which is something I've wanted ever since MHF. owo;;

The only huge issues I have are 1) the target cam is horrendous against larger creatures like Ceadeus and Jhen Mohran, and 2) randomly dodging upward while underwater instead of the direction I wanted. I can live with 2) since it's gotten me out of a jam a few times, and with 1) I can just not press the button. Overall the 3DS port was okay, it just has icky text.

(also psst, your Vriska quote should be "Advance or a8scond?")

I've rather liked Tri, the online mode atleast. There weren't as much quests as I hoped for in offline and the lack of long swords kind of disappointed me, as my main weapons are long swords.

Its good to know we can customize the controls in Ultimate... >.<

Also, what do you guys think of the Monster Hunter 3rd limited edition PSPs? The Jinouga one.

(and psst, im pretty sure it's advance or advance, wink.gif )

user posted image

Edited by suskekun222

Right, I was thinking of this page. Buuuuut *steers back away from offtopic territory now*

Ultimate has Longswords! My little brother's been using them to slice... well, everything. And on the subject of weaponry, SLIME IS GREAT EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE YAAAAAY.

MH limited edition PSP of any kind = LYTH WANT GIEF. Alas, the last time I went looking at the prices, the Tigrex one was running like double the price of a normal PSP and I lack monies. And sure enough, a quick glance at eBay shows the MHP3rd ones are going for $600-700. :(

Zinogre is 100000% awesome though so him on a PSP makes me do grabbyhands anyway.

Edited by Lythiaren

Oh, doh. >.<

I was talking about Tri and their lack of longswords, sorry.

I've been on a search for Ultimate for some time now, been checking the EBgames and Toys'r'us in my area regularly to no success.

no Animal crossing wild leaf either. ;u;

Are the limited PSPs really that expensive? D:

My dad managed to snag me one a few months ago after my old psp got bricked.

this. I've wasted many countless hours on it <3.

I know, I was mentioning that while Tri doesn't has them, Ultimate does. :3

Wait, you can't find it? If you're looking in EBGames, that means you're in Canada like me, correct? Try Future Shop or Best Buy. When I went to Best Buy for my wall clock in Animal Crossing, I spotted several copies of MH3U on the shelves. They had the AC 3DSXL bundle (and just the game of course) as well. Since Future Shop is owned by Best Buy, they'll probably also have some in stock.

And yeah, sadly the Zinogre one is running up at least $570, and the Nargacuga one is at $280. ow my :(