love_HP

Harry Potter Fanfic Discussion

What's the plot?

If there is one...

Here's a brief blurb from the site that is currently hosting the story.

"For those of you who do not know what My Immortal is, it is in short and most accurately completely retarded. My Immortal is a very loose Harry Potter fanfiction story about Ebony (or Enoby) Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, a gothic teenage vampire girl who attends Hogwarts school. To say anymore may spoil the lulz. The story is infamous for its horrible abuse to the english language and extreme gothic attitude."

Mary Sue to the rescue??? xd.png

Never read that story. Heard about it, but never felt the urge to read it.

Oh god, so much Mary Sue and too much author insert and no sense at all and the worst English EVER. Don't ever read it. Your rage will bring down the heavens.

Anyone ever hear of the MI drinking game? xd.png

Oh god, so much Mary Sue and too much author insert and no sense at all and the worst English EVER. Don't ever read it. Your rage will bring down the heavens.

Anyone ever hear of the MI drinking game? xd.png

Yep, I've got it bookmarked xd.png The TV Tropes version, I don't know if there are others.

Just waiting for the day where I have a couple gallons of Dr. Pepper/water and nothing else to do.

MI drinking game? Is that like the Eragon Sporkings page, where the author made up a drinking game?

I'd be off before I finish a chapter.

MI drinking game? Is that like the Eragon Sporkings page, where the author made up a drinking game?

I'd be off before I finish a chapter.

It's advised to never use the full list.

ETA: Again, this is just the TV Tropes one, there might be other, less deadly ones out there.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Mary Sue to the rescue??? xd.png

Never read that story. Heard about it, but never felt the urge to read it.

I didn't get past the first few chapters when I tried to read it (and the chapters are very short). smile.gif

edit: Read about the MI drinking game - thanks for the links. smile.gif

Edited by rubyshoes

For some reason, I'm feeling sick just by reading the game.

The whole fic is a joke, right? The author wanted to do a fic with all typical fanfiction clichés avaliable, and that's why she threw that thing into existence, right?

Oh, gosh, read it! So hilarious! It's especially more hilarious to read it out loud with a friend.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that person wrote that bad!fic on purpose. I've read real bad!fic and satire bad!fic and it reads like a satire bad!fic to me. o3o

And yay! Someone helped me find the dystopia-like fic I was thinking about. <3

Anything but Slytherin

I'd highly recommend at least checking it out.

For some reason, I'm feeling sick just by reading the game.

The whole fic is a joke, right? The author wanted to do a fic with all typical fanfiction clichés avaliable, and that's why she threw that thing into existence, right?

That's...

one theory.

HarryxMalfoy? No. Just NO! D:

SnapexHermoine? Argghhhhhh! D:

Damn, I was going to suggest some of those...

*awkward laugh*

((I have to agree with you about the last part tho xd.png))

So uh...

I'll post these just cause I know there are Drarry (Draco X Harry, duh) fans here *smirks*

Enjoy reading them o_o

In the closet - Made me laugh my ass off at the end xd.png

Lights out - *eyes shine*

Enough - *smirks*

Those were definitely my favourite.

There's also some other fic, where Draco makes love potions etc which help you find your soul mate and stuff... Yeah, it's Drarry.

Anyway-

...My Immortal.

*holds back laughter*

I'M GONNA READ IT, I'M SERIOUS >_>

Oh, gosh, read it! So hilarious! It's especially more hilarious to read it out loud with a friend.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure that person wrote that bad!fic on purpose. I've read real bad!fic and satire bad!fic and it reads like a satire bad!fic to me. o3o

And yay! Someone helped me find the dystopia-like fic I was thinking about. <3

Anything but Slytherin

I'd highly recommend at least checking it out.

I enjoyed looking through the authors recommended fics and favs. I'll be reading some of them. smile.gif

Ok, just out of curiosity, read chapter 1. Read the AN. Read chapter 2. Stopped halfway. Skipped directly to the author notes for chapter 3 and 4. Got tired...

I don't think this was a joke...

I started out with H/G and R/Hr fics, but I'll admit to quickly succumbing to the Drarry fics. Many are very good, and actually make sense if you ignore the last half of book 7.

I'll confess that my personal weakness is a Draco=veela story that's well written. I mean...he's so...PRETTY.

I read one a while back that was Harry X Draco and other than the improbability of Harry and Draco getting together, it was actually pretty good.

But this was about 3 or 4 years back, so I couldn't tell you the name of it.

Harry Potter has probably been the fandom that I've stuck with the longest. Anime and manga fandom in general might just barely beat it out, but that's been so many different series that I don't think it would be fair to count it all together.

I started in when a friend linked me to some H/D, when I hadn't believed her about it being out there. Some one of those links lead me to Resonant's story 'Transfigurations', which I actually printed out after my first read, and read it several more times offline. Now it's on my Nook, even though since then I've become a *huge* Severus/Harry fan.

About the only thing I won't read, though, is Severus/Hermione. Don't know why, but that's a pairing I just can't handle.

I'm only a few chapters into this, but even the chapter titles ("Bayes' Theorem", "Title Redacted", "The Stanford Prison Experiment") promise something interesting..

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality

No pairings as of yet; so far it's following Philosopher's Stone's beginning, in an alternate universe where Harry has been well-inculcated into belief of the scientific method smile.gif

---

@ pairings above

I've always had a hard time finding romance, especially with lemons, interesting, so I don't usually sort fanfic in my head by pairing. Is that the usual categorization?

Edited by kadoatie

@ pairings above

I've always had a hard time finding romance, especially with lemons, interesting, so I don't usually sort fanfic in my head by pairing. Is that the usual categorization?

Yeah, usually things are sorted by couple, from my experience. Entire websites are dedicated to only one main pairing.

I never really got into Severus/student fics. Though, Severus/Lucius or Severus/whoever as side stories are fine...

I don't ever read main char/OC stories though...I usually dislike new characters...especially since they're almost always based, at least lightly, on another author's character...I've read a lot of stories with Alice Cullen-esque OC's...

Once tried inserting an OC in one of my HP fanfics. I was around 15 at the time. It's not surprising to say the story never made it past the first two chapters, before I realized just how stupid it was.

I have inserted OC before, tho, although they are always secondary characters with no importance other than dropping some information here and there.

One of the OC I'm most proud of, is a guy I inserted in a FFX fanfiction I wrote called Human Spirit. Up to this day, I'm still very fond of that story.

Well, I'm writing a fanfic where Harry, Dudley, Tom, and Salazar (yes, I'm talking about Slytherin, but he doesn't know that...) live with Petunia Dursley. I was able to change a lot personality wise because I started the story when Harry and Dudley are four. Tom gets de-aged, (note: diary Tom), and Sal shows up as an eight year old after Petunia runs him over when he apparates in front of her car. Godric will show up as a thirteen/fourteen year old at the end of the third book. Before that he's an adult.

I've written one 23 chapter fic and am working on the second and have outlined the rest. It is about the above BTW. And surprisingly, people actually like it. What do you know. I did it because no one else had...

Three other fics that have yet to be written:

Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble- sixth year fic. Slughorn says no so Albus hires Sal... This is a much darker Sal than my usual.

Baby Snake Steps - Sal is de-aged and is raised by Godric. Who needs a break and sends the eight/nine year old to Hogwarts. Sal is NOT happy. Fifth year fic.

Mirrored Disaster - the Founders reborn with a twist: Godric and Salazar are identical, mirror image twins. Oh, and they're spoiled, bratty Americans who want nothing to do with England or Hogwarts!

Edited by kingsdaughter613

The wonders of fanfiction has quickly made the original works a bit boring for me, or perhaps I'm looking for another word. Suffice to say that I can't stand reading them anymore (this mostly concern the Harry Potter series.).

As for a favorite fanfic - that is too hard to say.

I've read one called "Time to Spare" several times and it is very good, read it if you like, but my list of stories I enjoyed is as usual too long to mention here.

By the way, is there any thread dedicated to Fanfiction around?

You should check out the multimedia forum, maybe. I don't venture there much, so I don't know, but I think people post dragcave fanfics there and stuff.

Edited by FireAngel73

That said I *do* need it to be well written, and I won't read anything with an OC in it.

I will say I have read some good fanfics with OCs.

I liked the one by Toki Mirage Bloody Skies, but it was taken down since the user took a publishing deal, so all fanfics were deleted as a result. >< Harry x Male OC

(my favorites)

HPxTR

HPxLM

HPxmOC

Well written is a must. If I do see something with potential I might offer some corrections, but too many grammar issues is not worth reading. Text Speak is no no. D: