love_HP

Harry Potter Fanfic Discussion

I searched and can't find a thread about this. I mean, there's the Harry Potter Book Discussion thread, but it's about the book itself and not fanfics.

So if this is a duplicate let me know. biggrin.gif

Now for the discussion.

I admit the reason I'm opening this thread is partly because I'm looking for some HP femmeslash. But obviously a thread shouldn't limit to this. wink.gif

So now, what do you think are the best HP fanfics you've read? What do you recommend? Share your opinions with everyone! smile.gif

HarryxMalfoy? No. Just NO! D:

SnapexHermoine? Argghhhhhh! D:

A Summertimes Blues is, perhaps, one of the best fanfiction I've seen out there. It's about Dudley with magic powers, but I really liked it when I read it.

Normally, what I look in fanfic is for them to be realistic. I really can't stand fanfic where a DracoxHermione relationship bursts out of nowhere, or with some lame excuse, such as;

"I've always liked you, that's why I was mean."

or

"Suddenly she noticed how handsome and strong he had become...."

I really, really, hate fanfiction where characters suddenly turn all muscles, all pretty, Hermione's hair is suddenly sleak and shinny, and Ron has been working out all summer. Unfortunately, most fanfic out there are like that.

Not to mention, sometimes they overpower characters, or place them OOC (I'm guilty for doing that sometimes, but it is hard to write someone else's character).

I'm ranting...

Summarizing. It's hard to find a good, credible, realistic and original fanfiction out there.

Not to mention when OC come into scene. Really? Most of them are women sues, that hook up with one of the characters, and have the most stupid names, such as Aurora, Bella (ehem...), Cassioppeia, Daphne, Atenea (I once rode a horse that was named like that), and whichever other strange name the author can come with. Many times, japanese names that don't even respect gender differences.

Really? A pure english born, with english ancestors, named AKIRA? Are you kidding me?

Crossovers. If worked well, they can be fun. Unfortunately, the are never done well. I once tried a Death Gate Cycle/Harry Potter crossover. The story was being worked well, and I still think it was a nice idea. But I got so bashed and laughed at, I erased it. Pity... I really liked that story.

In general, I have enjoyed some fanfiction. Frankly, I can't remember right now which are the most memorable. Sometimes you find a jewel among charcoal, but most I've read are just stupid. And some are one shots that make no sense, yet are fun for a light reading.

But I just got tired from reading the same thing over and over again. Most people don't have imagination, and repeat clichés with the same scenes. A Truth or Dare game, or a party, or whatever other modern world, typical teenager doings. Hard to find a really good adventure, which is, by the way, completed.

I think that's about it, right now.

It's only good for Pottersues.

Then again, I just don't care for HP fanfic. The author left us with a great story, there were no loose ends/'what ifs' I wanted to explore, and I'm happy to let it be. I'm certain there are good ones, but my care for HP fanfic only goes as far as the sue mocking.

I searched and can't find a thread about this. I mean, there's the Harry Potter Book Discussion thread, but it's about the book itself and not fanfics.

So if this is a duplicate let me know. biggrin.gif

Now for the discussion.

I admit the reason I'm opening this thread is partly because I'm looking for some HP femmeslash. But obviously a thread shouldn't limit to this. wink.gif

So now, what do you think are the best HP fanfics you've read? What do you recommend? Share your opinions with everyone! smile.gif

I read a lot of HP fanfic but I doubt they would be ones you'd like since I prefer malexmale. smile.gif

I haven't read a lot of femmeslash, and most of it was PWP (pr0n without plot)- not my taste, so don't have any recommendations for you.

The sheer size of the fandom must mean there's a lot of good work out there. Unfortunately I've waded through Sturgeon's Law's 90% crap instead, and quit trying to find fanfic outside specific recommendations about two years ago. Most fanfic seems to have what I think of as the "fanfic style", where usually the writing is simplistic, dashed off, padded with author appeal, and lacking a sense of pacing. In the rare cases where the writing seems "pretty", the author doesn't seem to know when to stop and overdoes it into a surreal-sliding-into-incomprehensible style. The usual style is the main reason I don't read fanfic any more. Your mileage may vary, perhaps that's the charm for some people smile.gif

I'm also just more interested in coming into an original universe :'P

Mostly agree with DragonNighthowler. To me, though, the internal logic is more important. I don't care how unreasonable fanfic is compared to the canon work it's adapted from/based on/supposedly in the universe or with the characters of, if it makes sense by itself, in the setting and with the rules and customs proposed. If the norm in relationships in the proposed universe is for the parties to pretend to be mean to each other, then I find it reasonable if Draco and Hermione get together with that excuse. If all the English-born people are named Japanese names, I don't mind that either.

I confess I rather like Draco/Harry slash fic. I was actualy reading that *before* I read the books of the original series (long convoluted story about how *that* happened), so I kinda became fond of it before I really had cannon set firmly in my head.

That said I *do* need it to be well written, and I won't read anything with an OC in it.

I've got a bunch of fanfic I've been reading. Most of it is mediocre at best, but there are a few I like. I don't really go for complete accuracy from the books, so I judge them based on the story more than the use and development of someone else's characters.

http://www.harrypotterfanfiction.com/views...hapterid=413479 (Harry and Hermione, has a few strange twists.)

That's the best one I've read that's still online.

There was one called The Moonlight War that was really good, although it had a strange beginning, and is a little rough around the edges. Unfortunately it disappeared, all 100 chapters of it. >.>

The peak period of my HP fanfiction reading was when I was 16, so I hesitate to rec any of my favorites because they're almost all painfully OOC fics I love for nostalgia reasons (*cough*Maya*cough*). However, I do have some femslash recs! Though I admit I've only read one or two of these, my friend has passed them along as "interesting" and they're all in my to-read-when-really-bored folder.

Hermione/Luna:

Hermione Granger and the Amazing Outfits of Luna Lovegood

Hermione/Pansy:

The Unusual, Exceptional, and Statistically Remarkable Hermione Granger, Age 21

McGonnagal/Hooch (Skimming it doesn't look so good, but the pairing is interesting enough to make me curious):

Trainspotting

Hermione/Millicent Bulstrode:

Unbreakable

->looks like a PWP

Ginny/Pansy:

Matching-Muff Matrimony

->friend noted that Harry seemed OOC

Ginny/Luna:

Unsung

And a masterlist of "fandom classics"- not necessarily a recommendation (oh god, I remember Seeker to Seeker. xd.png), but it's got some breadth. The List

EDIT: Actually, I will put in one rec from my own favorites- the Switchverse is a what-if AU in which the characters' houses are all mixed up during first year. The author left it at a bit of a cliffhanger, but it's still one of a few fics I read when I need cheering up, on par with a favorite childhood book; it's just upbeat and fun, and doesn't take itself too seriously, which I like in a fanfic.

Edited by mushumouse

I don't mind AU fanfics, or something really crazy happening like timetravel and so, as long as it is well done.

Unfortunately, most of those are rarely well done.

I read a lot of HP fanfic but I doubt they would be ones you'd like since I prefer malexmale. smile.gif

So do I xd.png Harry/Tom Riddle has to be my favourite.... there's a masterlist of some of the best ones here If anyone is interested...seen awesome fanarts too, nothing hardcore, mostly awesomely cute/smexy stuff, very well drawn too.

And the same person who does Tom/Harry fanart has done some Hermione/Pansy, Harry/Fenrir and others. Don't know if I'd be allowed to link the site, since there's a bit of nudity here and there. If you want the link to the site, pm me (unless I'm allowed to link it here).

Even if you don't like the pairing, the art is still fantastic, example:

user posted image

Edited by Shadowed-spirit-101

So do I xd.png Harry/Tom Riddle has to be my favourite.... there's a masterlist of some of the best ones here If anyone is interested...seen awesome fanarts too, nothing hardcore, mostly awesomely cute/smexy stuff, very well drawn too.

And the same person who does Tom/Harry fanart has done some Hermione/Pansy, Harry/Fenrir and others. Don't know if I'd be allowed to link the site, since there's a bit of nudity here and there. If you want the link to the site, pm me (unless I'm allowed to link it here).

Even if you don't like the pairing, the art is still fantastic.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to look at some of those. smile.gif Severus slashed with almost any one is my favorite. smile.gif

I have a guilty pleasure of occasionally (more like rarely, actually) reading Harry/Draco slash. If the story is decent. Or, if not slash, some comedy. I remember liking one about Draco giving Hermione a fashion make-over, it was quite funny. Come to think of it, I might look up some fics after having seen this thread. ;D

Edited by lightbird

I do read Harry/Draco every once in a while. I like Harry/Draco even better when it is Harry/Draco/Severus. smile.gif

edit: One of the stories I'm reading now is actually Harry/Draco and Severus/Tom Riddle.

Edited by rubyshoes

mushumouse: Thank you for the recommendations! biggrin.gif I'm gonna look it up.

rubyshoes: Well, we don't need to be limited to the OP tongue.gif

In My Pants is all I have to say.

On a more serious note, I don't really enjoy pairing fics, which makes it hard to find anything on fanfic.net. XD

I did have a deliciously dark AU story about if the Ministry had reacted much more strongly after Voldemort was defeated the first time. Utterly depressing and extremely lovely. Also very well written. I'm looking to find the link, just in case anyone is interested.

As for my guilty pleasure, I like stories where Harry and someone else (usually Snape) are forced to live in the muggle word together for Harry's protection or whatnot. Ones where Harry is made younger works well in those.

I like reading about one of the trio becoming a werewolf. Sometimes you find some jewels, but most of the time, they are not really all that well done.

One of the best one shots I've read, was about Harry defeating Voldemort with a gun. It kind of concluded with;

"Voldemort had protected himself against all magic, but his despise for all muggle made him vulnerable to their weapons."

Or something of the sort.

Would have been a great way to end the story.

My Immortal.

That is all. That was the worst and funniest fanfic I've ever read. The grammar sucks, the characters are OCC, all that good stuff.

My Immortal.

That is all. That was the worst and funniest fanfic I've ever read. The grammar sucks, the characters are OCC, all that good stuff.

I named one of my vampires after that story (even though I couldn't get past the first few chapters of the story). smile.gif

I was really sad when ff finally took down that story, lol. I know it's somewhere else, at least last time I checked, but it's just not the same. :B

Is that even a Harry Potter thing, or just a thing? blink.gif

Is that even a Harry Potter thing, or just a thing? blink.gif

If you mean the My Immortal fan fic, yes it is an HP fan fic. A very very bad HP fan fic. smile.gif

What's the plot?

If there is one...