Sign in to follow this  
skauble

Holiday Dragon Mate Preferences

What breed do you think goes best with Christmas dragons overall?  

245 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Holly X Red/Vine, Yulebuck X White/Mint, Snow Angel X White/Gold if the feature is implemented before X'mas

Draco Knight, I think that's a very pretty lineage. I wouldn't change it. Your holly isn't even gen or CB, so there's no way you can breed 2nd gen or even gen hollies anyway, but it's *almost* even gen, and the silver x white looks very nice with the hollies.

It just it seems people want as few dragons in a Holly's linage as possible. But you're right, I'm keeping it as is. Thank you. biggrin.gif

Hearing so many people say they want 2ed gen Hollies... I feel a little bad about sending eggs off with this lineage. Lighted Garland being my dragon, and the Holly whose lineage is shown being his offspring. I feel like I should find him a CB white mate...

I'm one of the folks that is hoping for a 2nd gen Holly. If I don't get a 2nd gen, I hope to get an even-gen. If I don't get an even gen, I hope to get a lineage that is either symmetrical or staircase...if the lineage looks like some kind of deliberate effort went into making it pretty, that's what counts to me.

If you decide you'd like to experiment with different mates for your Holly, you could produce a mate for it fairly easily that will result in perfectly symmetrical babies.

If I had caught a sibling to Lighted Garland, here's what I would have done to make a mate for it.

1. I'd obtain one 2nd gen white egg from a CB male silver and CB female white. If I possessed a CB male silver I'd breed it myself, if not I'd ask a friend with a CB male silver to breed one for me.

2. I'd influence the egg to be male.

3. When the egg grows up, I'd breed it with a CB female red or CB snow angel. Can't breed it with a female CB holly because there aren't any, so a red or a snow angel would be the next best thing.

The result eggs would have a perfectly symmetrical lineage. Each half of the lineage would be almost an exact mirror of the other half.

REGARDING YULEBUCKS

I think yulebucks look good with dragon horses since they are both hooved and deer/horse looking. Both of my yulebucks are 2nd gen Yule X horses (one was part of a trade from last year, and one was a lucky AP catch), and I obtained 2nd gen horse mates with matching lineages for each of them. Here's what my yulebuck babies will look like this year:

(this one's fully grown)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/198n

(this one is from my other yulebuck and is still an egg--please just look at the lineage, don't click the actual egg, especially since the egg isn't mine)

http://dragcave.net/lineage/ESH9

I know almost everyone prefers 2nd gens, but I am unable to produce them. So I wanted to be able to produce some very good looking 3rd gens. What I like about mine is that they are even, and it's a unique pairing.

To be honest, I'm actually hoping that I'll be able to get at least one giftee lined up in advance. What I'd like to do is give that person a yulebuck from one of my yulebucks during the holiday breeding season, and then give them a horse from my other yulebuck during the off season. Then they could breed some really lovely 4th gens next year.

Edited by Renorei

1) Personally, I think that Holly and Yulebucks look great with Stripes, which go with anything, and that leaves things open for people to breed the offspring both for lineages and in seasonal reproduction of the Holiday itself.

Snow Angels do go really well with Neos, (and I've bred myself a pair of them,) but I think it would be better in maximizing breeding options for the progeny's new owners to have them bred with Whites (or possibly Stripes) and I will HAVE to remember to establish compatability well prior to Christmas.

2.) The only older Christmas dragon that I lack is a Holly.

In my dreams: I'd ideally have a 2nd gen produced with a Stripe, most useful for starting common lines as well as reproduction in season.

A short and nicely lineaged Thuwed would be great, too.

A long- messy-lineaged dragon that would still delight someone wanting only the sprite would be wasted on me, as it wouldn't be suited for lineage breeding.

It's a question of purposes, really. (Or obsessions, lol.)

But there's no way I'd ever catch a Holly in the AP, or refresh fast enough to even see one there, so it'd be rather pointless worrying about that.

3) I'll be breeding all of my Holidays, of course.

Last year I bred one Yulebuck with a CB Stripe and the other with the nicest Thuwed I had for the purpose, (3rd gen, double Holly line) since so many people seemed to want a Thuwed Yulebuck, and I'm likely to do the same again, depending on what the giftees I can promise one to want.

Snow Angels will likely be mated with CB Whites, unless something different is requested in time for me to do a successful trial breeding.

I breed my yulebucks like this (even though I usually prefer whites as mates, as I wrote before):

http://dragcave.net/lineage/sNNe

http://dragcave.net/lineage/iHab (I might switch to a white here)

After breeding the second one and sending the eggs to the AP I will probably release him to try and catch an even gen. Who knows, I might be successful.

My snowangels will definitely be bred to CB whites.

Honestly, with how sought-out Hollies are this year, you would think that people would be happy with what they got, instead of complaining. >_>

I'm probably going to pair my Yulebucks with whatever CB I have lying around... Though, more thought might be put into my Snow Angels. Got the White-Winged variety.

I'm not sure, I will either go with a white dragon or a seasonal (snow) dragon for my CB snow angel.

I like the idea of the seasonal snow dragons because it would easy to give it's hatchlings a nice looking pedigree.

But I will probably go with the white dragon, because they're nice in that they are not too common and not too rare....

I think...

Hearing so many people say they want 2ed gen Hollies... I feel a little bad about sending eggs off with this lineage. Lighted Garland being my dragon, and the Holly whose lineage is shown being his offspring. I feel like I should find him a CB white mate...

Draco, any of us would be thrilled to get an egg from your dragon.

Edited by Mystic_Halo

snow angels and vines look really nice together, i think!

otherwise, anything with a CB black, white, or red.

It just it seems people want as few dragons in a Holly's linage as possible. But you're right, I'm keeping it as is. Thank you. biggrin.gif

Personally, If its not inbred I don't care how long A Holly is a Holly inbred /long/short/lousy pairing

I'm not tying to breed even gens with it I just want one on my scroll- the second gens I need are "commons" from CB Holly's( now if I could just convince someone that I'm not Holly begging so I could rebuild my poor broken lineage)( If I had one maybe I could get the pink and red stripe I need for my projects)

I breed my Yulebucks with CB's and will breed Snowangels with CB's as well because that is how I have been breeding them in the off season ---proven partners = eggs and that is the purpose of breeding-- isn't it?

Edited by dragonpuck

Mint or white. laugh.gif

I'm thinking of a =n]mint for my ribbon dancer this year.

My yulebucks are from mint and black pairings and both have white partners.

My snow angel has a lost Dorkface whitemate.

I have no holly as yet so haven't planned anything out for one.

[Thanks, Sockmeister, for directing me here!]

To me, a Holly is a Holly. While an even gen or a stair step would be easier to work with lineage wise, I simply do care about that when it comes to Hollies. So, don't feel bad! So many people would love a Holly egg from that lineage!

For me, my Yulebucks are to be paired with White Stripes, my Snow Angels with Nebulas, and my Ribbon Danders with Reds.

I have mostly given up on trying to enforce who my dragons will mate with. I am convinced they run the show. They also don't like same breed mates. I have exactly 2 Dragons that will do this. One was a set that was gifted to me. The other is a Two Headed Split (who can't breed with anyone else!!!)

And then there is the wife swappers. Have two males: One Silver, one Ice and thought both of them would be nicely paired with lovely 2 Gen female Moonstones. Everything thing was fine until one pair rejected each other out of the blue. But when I swapped out one Moonstone Female for the Other everything seemed to be fine again!

Don't even get me started on my Thuweds. Darn liberated free thinking creatures. Why won't they listen!??!?!?!

So if by some miracle if I manage to find someone else they like, I don't mess with it. Even if my "perfect pair" dreams are crushed.

Edited by natayah

I voted white, but it is not completely true because really it depends on the dragons

I think whites are the best choice for snowangels, and they looks pretty nice with yulebrucks too.

While for ribbon dancer I prefer vine mates.

My yulebuck is from a yulebuck x horse pairing, so his mate is a horse dragon. My snow angel is from ember x snowangel, so her mate is an ember, to carry on the lineage, as well. My ribbon dancer is CB, so she can have any number of combinations in her love life, but most often, I breed her to a CB red, because that appeals my sense of color, I suppose, and the red babies that produces outside the holiday are rather useful for gifting, trading, etc., because of their BSA. xd.png No holly at this time, and no plans for one *cue shock and amazement*, so haven't thought about what I'd pair with one of those. Would depend on the lineage of the holly, I suppose.

/breeder's OCD

My yulebucks are 2nd and 3rd gen, so I'll keep the trends already set up. The 2nd gen will be bred with either a cb or 2nd gen black dragon and the 3rd gen will be bred to a cb albino.

My snowangels are cb, and I'm thinking I'll breed them to cb moonstones, since I'm making a lineage out of moonstones from snowangel/moonstones anyway.

I haven't considered the ribbon dancers. It would be nice if I could breed one to my cb silver, but the silver's female too. *shrugs*

For me it depends on the breed.

My Snow Angels are both pairs with Whites.

My Yulebucks are not CBs, so I'm trying to keep the lineages nice.

Yulebuck #1 will be pair with this 3rd gen Red. If my stripes behave for awhile, I'll make him a red Stripe mate for next year.

Yulebuck#2 will be paired with a CB Black to keep the stair as an alternating pattern.

My Ribbon Dancers will also have differing partners. One will have a CB Gold partner and the other a CB Frill. Of the two, I like how the the Gold pairing looks best.

I like Blacks with all of the Holidays... and Whites, too. Also Nebulas.

With RarexRare here, I can see a lot of Gold/SilverxHoliday lineages happening, which would be nice.

I have a Yule x Grey that I plan to mate with another Grey to keep the lineage going. Then I have a Snow Angel to be paired with a Thunder (rare x rare fingers crossed!) and the other with a Black, who will hopefully grow up in time for breeding. I'd love to mate one of my Ribbon Dancers with a Pink and the other with a Purple, but I haven't had time to test those pairs and they might refuse. I also have a Holly coming to me this year (thanks so much, you know who you are <3) with a White as its mate, so I'm going to breed that next year either with a CB White or with one bred from another Holly.

Good luck to all with breeding!