Mitesla

Most disturbing non-horror boss?

The Unagi from GRIS is honest to god terrifying. You encounter it in the third level, which-of freaking course-is the water level. But GRIS is a fantastic game in spite of the whole tone and the internal demons you have to face. It's gorgeous and I've cried every single time I've played it. I cannot sing my praises enough for it

I'm putting my vote on Redeye, from Octopath Traveller. Definitely not the kind of monster I was expecting to fight in that game, based on what the monster left behind and the preparation, I was expecting some sort of baasilisk or medusa-like monster because of the petrification. Not the Elric brother's mother

The fact that Bloodborne isn't officially considered a horror game baffles my mind. I mean... Just look at this thing...

(Warning: Absolute abomination)

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

The big bad of 'Life is Strange.' I can't say who it is without some massive spoilers, but when you find yourself in that chair you'll know exactly who I mean.

Spoiler

The Batter, the protagonist, being the final boss if you choose to side with The Judge (Pablo) was incredibly disturbing for me. From the music, to the atmosphere, to even the Judge's move names, wasn't really scary, but more unsettling. I didn't know about the game's twist that the Batter is committing genocide on the whole world, so when I went back to the purified zones before moving on to The Room, realizing what I had helped the Batter do genuinely hurt.

Explicit: The Batter goes through the game looking like a normal human, but during this battle he turns into a creepy duck monster, very jarring if you didn't know. The secret boss Sugar hints at this by saying that 'she doesn't want to play with the scary ducky anymore,' which implies this may be the Batter's true form.

Implicit: The Batter is meant to be symbolism for the Judge's struggle. He feels incredibly guilty that he helped the Batter 'purify' the world, and he is fighting the ultimate enemy to rectify his mistake. It's not explained why the Batter's appearance changes, but it's implied that the Judge is hallucinating, along with Sugar. If you choose to side with the Batter and fight the Judge, the Judge looks the same for some reason.

Unfitting: The Batter's appearance is jarring if you didn't know about it already, but many enemies bosses are already unsettling, so this isn't really one of the points.

Story: OH BOY. Please just play the game if you got this far. The reason I chose to side with the Judge shook me to the core.

The existence of this boss is a spoiler for OFF (2008). Don't read if you haven't played. It's completely free, but make sure you get the English translation, as the original game is in French.

Has anyone mentioned Levias' boss form yet? Skyward sword.

Spoiler

6839744565_8d5a09724e_o.jpg

Just imagine having parasitic tentacles tipped with eyeballs growing out of barnacles in your skin. Gives me the creeps.

Oh, and then you find this in breath of the wild.

Spoiler

6pndqylbsa721.png?auto=webp&s=6f33957c8c8276f38cdcd267dac1d2577ea86e93

Edited by Roseora

Drawcia Soul.... *shudders*

That distorted screech is just... no..... I've never played Canvas Curse, but I probably wouldn't be missing out on much.

Gi Nattak from Final Fantasy 7. When you finish that cave, only to find an area even Bugenhagen isn't familiar with, then to see that monster creepily come to life, still sticks with me 23 years after I first saw it.