Mitesla

Most disturbing non-horror boss?

Good god, Blizzeta. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, when the female Yeti turned around with that FACE... O___________O

On the subject of Twilight Princess, I have entomophobia, so when I saw this:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/4/44/BigBug.png

I immediately ran out of the room screaming my head off. My brother had to defeat it for me later, and I made the mistake of watching.

It certainly didn't help that Link was in wolf form so you had to turn on your senses. End result: boss fight in the middle of a lake in almost absolute darkness where you stand on a flimsy little raft while a huge, hulking, glowing, bloated THING dives at you from out of the air (to the tune of "music" that sounded like it came from Jaws). And you actually have to jump onto its floating belly and attack its legs... yes, those stubby, jello-like, squirming legs. Ugh.

Good god, Blizzeta. Even though I already knew what was going to happen, when the female Yeti turned around with that FACE... O___________O

On the subject of Twilight Princess, I have entomophobia, so when I saw this:

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/4/44/BigBug.png

I immediately ran out of the room screaming my head off. My brother had to defeat it for me later, and I made the mistake of watching.

It certainly didn't help that Link was in wolf form so you had to turn on your senses. End result: boss fight in the middle of a lake in almost absolute darkness where you stand on a flimsy little raft while a huge, hulking, glowing, bloated THING dives at you from out of the air (to the tune of "music" that sounded like it came from Jaws). And you actually have to jump onto its floating belly and attack its legs... yes, those stubby, jello-like, squirming legs. Ugh.

That. I hate it. So much.

T^T

And yeah, the yeti's wife was pretty creepy. But the scare was mostly averted after the boss battle with that adorable cut scene between the two <3 <3 <3

Also... the mini-boss in the Lake Bed Temple. Not as scary as it was disgusting and disturbing.

And speaking of disturbing, who here played the original Yoshi's Island and remembers when you get minified and swallowed by a frog? And you proceed to fight in its stomach?

Pretty much any game where you end up swallowed by something and fighting in its insides disturbs me. Greatly.

Aragog in HP 2? My sister screamed when she had to fight him. I didn't, but it still scared the hell out of me everytime he jumps at you T^T

Edited by Seraphinu

But this, I think all Super Mario 64 players can agree was the scariest in the game:

user posted image

Not a boss exactly, but still... I would dread getting the Red Coin star every time I got to this level. xd.png

X3 I remember trying to tiptoe around it to grab the coin. If I made one wrong move, it would wake up and almost give me a heart attack. Love that level, though.

As for that giant bug-thingy from LoZ:TP, I agree with the "Not as scary as it was disgusting and disturbing".

The Shadow Beasts creeped me out more than that bug-thingy. I think it was because of the music that accompanied each encounter with them. I mean, I think they're really awesome...it's just that music. -.-

http://dragonchasers.com/wp-content/upload...ood_mother1.jpg

The Broodmother from Dragon Age: Origins.

This.

Was the most disgustingly horrifying boss I had ever fought in my life. She was hard to beat too. I would have posted this if it hadn't been posted already.

Another horrifying boss from Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening is "The Mother".

user posted image

This thing, from that silly Neopets PS2 game. I was about nine when I played it, and it freaked me out so much. Most of the monsters in that dungeon scared me, actually. The screen I played on was really dark, so my only clue that an enemy was there was the battle music, and there were pretty much no clues to where he would come from.

Supreme Hunter in Prototype was pretty freaky. So was that... thing that Elizabeth Greene was hiding in.

Not really a boss, but the Oblivion Gates in Oblivion were pretty disturbing. I mean, the towers' floors seemed to be made of muscle, there were slowly beating hearts as containers, and they used eternally burning corpses as torches. o_O Yeah.

Edit: Oh god, I hated that bug-thing in LoZ too. Not only was it unbelievably disturbing (and Twilight Princess was a dark enough game as it was, you couldn't see things unless your brightness was maxed on the TV), but it was really hard, too.

Edited by Dianacat777

This.

Was the most disgustingly horrifying boss I had ever fought in my life. She was hard to beat too. I would have posted this if it hadn't been posted already.

Another horrifying boss from Dragon Age: Origins: Awakening is "The Mother".

Raaargh yes. Except The Mother is a broodmother too, so has the same creeptastic origin and purpose for existence. Ewwww.

I'll second the Oblivion Gates as well.

Raaargh yes. Except The Mother is a broodmother too, so has the same creeptastic origin and purpose for existence. Ewwww.

I'll second the Oblivion Gates as well.

Oblivion Gate are Horrible. Exsapcly for a Vampire High elf. The turrets and Land ines always kill me

Thank you to everyone who posted here! I truly appereciate your help with my research on disturbing bosses. In case anyone's wondering, here's what I came up with:

The four main factors that make bosses disturbing:

Implicit- Bosses disturbing because of unnerving meaning or symbolism. (Giygas)

Explicit- Bosses that are obviously ugly, gross, or horrific or whom you must fight in a graphic or unnerving way. (Clotho)

Unfitting- Bosses that aren't themselves very disturbing but seem so when compared to the rest of the game, resulting in the "But this is a children's game!" response. (Zero/02)

Story- Bosses that are disturbing mostly due to their origins, intentions, actions, etc. (Broodmother)

Most disturbing bosses will have some mixture of these four traits. Obviously personal fears will also factor in and different people will respond to one trait more than another.

I'm keeping the thread open, so feel free to keep posting and discussing. Just post which non-horror boss you think is most disturbing and why. Feel free to discuss any bosses mentioned, but please follow forum rules and be respectful of other posters. No "LOLZ you fail cuz you're afraid of ___!" There's people who think Gygas is lame, and people who think he's the incarnation of evil. It's all really a matter of opinion. Now then, if anyone needs me, I'll be over here, trying to get Giygas to stop haunting my dreams...

these are from monster hunter tri

1.gigginox

2.gigginox

3gigginox and you can guesse who number 4 is

the thing is from hell 3 reasons

1 it has a tail looking like its head so its hard to tell which is which

2 it climbs on the cieling and scares the hell out of you

3 its satans pet dragon its that mean the thing can kill you within seconds

these are from monster hunter tri

1.gigginox

2.gigginox

3gigginox and you can guesse who number 4 is

the thing is from hell 3 reasons

1 it has a tail looking like its head so its hard to tell which is which

2 it climbs on the cieling and scares the hell out of you

3 its satans pet dragon its that mean the thing can kill you within seconds

here is a pic

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/420572-mhdude/5...821_display.jpg

The Undead Draconians from Wizard101 (The Great Spyre, Dragonspyre) are disturbing. They are not bosses, but they do have pale, rotting flesh. And this is a kids game too...

Sorry I don't have a picture with me now.

Murrrr... I love that game and I was fine with them. I'm level 54 right now.

Dirge, from Shadow of the Colossus (colossus #10). Those eyes, oh god those eyes! He's staring right into my soul! ohmy.gif

Picture here

Another pic

Holy s**t, those eyes are scary... *shudder*

And those are the exact same eyes from the moon and Majora on Majora's Mask...

Not exactly sure if they're considered bosses...but the dementors from the gamecube version of Prisoner of Azkaban scared the crap out of me.....I was always like "No! No! Go away!" and then spazzing out when they tried to suck my soul out dry.gif

GLaDOS.

Compared to how normal(ish) the rest of the game is, facing a corrupt giant robot who wants to poison you slowly to death is not the nicest thing you could be doing.

Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls. Basically, you have to kill her knight, then her, while she begs you to stop. 'Cause, she traded her soul for a Demon's soul so she could help the messed-up people living in the Valley of Defilement, and while it was noble, it made her be a Demon, basically, so you have to kill her. It's really sad, creepy, and just plain terrible.

This I wholeheartedly agree with...

I was never strong enough to kill her Knight so I sniped her with the White Bow from a high place that confused her Knight.

Some of the things she says breaks your heart and others disgust you...

Another from Demon's Souls is the True King Allant who is trapped within the Old One in the body of a hideous malformed slug... -Shivers- He has to hop and squirm to reach you and the sounds are just awful...

King Dodogno! I just walkin around and suddenly. *BOOM* *BOOM* *BOOM*

KING DODONGO: INFERNAL DINOSAUR!

and I'm like holy crap it's a freaking fire dino!!!! ahhhh!

It doesn't really count as it isn't a boss, but the Redeads in Ocarina of Time creeped me out when I was younger.

Agreed. I ran from Kokiri Forest to Hyrule Town as fast as I could. When i didn''t make it, I screamed and ran in circles so they couldn't hit me.

lets see.... I'm not really scared of anything in any Zelda game, but I did get caught off-gaurd when King Dodogno came around... and Gyorg out of nowhere in the water as I battled him xd.png

The boss Gohma also caught me off my guard because I thought I had killed the thing (he was trashing around an awful lot) and he ended up landing on me... killing me while still be alive.

Stallord's floating skull that chased me (well I chased it) surprised me when I came around the corner (expecting it to be all the way at the top and worrying about the spiky things trying to kill me) to see this giant skull almost firing a flameball at me. That, I still didn't expect after the fourth time seeing it through the battle xd.png

The redeads did creep me out the first time I fought them... I didn't get how to get them off and thought I was going to die xd.png

Considering the theme of the Shadow Temple was the undead and other creepy things that hide in the shadows, I think that anything found within it counts as horror related.

Jet Force Gemini for the N64

That game was just sickening to me. Bugs and insects for boss monsters and villains? That just screams grotesque imagery. For a mediocre game with bad graphics and models, they still did a pretty good job in depicting such horrid gore. Insect plasma and pieces of them fly all over the place when they explode. Humorous yes but when seen in a different perspective makes it just disturbing.

The Bosses themselves had me freaked out... and yet I still continued when I was little. Never have finished it and never planning on ever playing it again. dry.gif