Mitesla

Most disturbing non-horror boss?

Thank you to everyone who posted here! I truly appereciate your help with my research on disturbing bosses. In case anyone's wondering, here's what I came up with:

The four main factors that make bosses disturbing:

Implicit- Bosses disturbing because of unnerving meaning or symbolism. (Giygas)

Explicit- Bosses that are obviously ugly, gross, or horrific or whom you must fight in a graphic or unnerving way. (Clotho)

Unfitting- Bosses that aren't themselves very disturbing but seem so when compared to the rest of the game, resulting in the "But this is a children's game!" response. (Zero/02)

Story- Bosses that are disturbing mostly due to their origins, intentions, actions, etc. (Broodmother)

Most disturbing bosses will have some mixture of these four traits. Obviously personal fears will also factor in and different people will respond to one trait more than another.

I'm keeping the thread open, so feel free to keep posting and discussing. Just post which non-horror boss you think is most disturbing and why. Feel free to discuss any bosses mentioned, but please follow forum rules and be respectful of other posters. No "LOLZ you fail cuz you're afraid of ___!" There's people who think Gygas is lame, and people who think he's the incarnation of evil. It's all really a matter of opinion. Now then, if anyone needs me, I'll be over here, trying to get Giygas to stop haunting my dreams...

Edited by Mitesla

I have to make it be Giygas from Earthbound.

I haven't played the game, but I've seen multiple walkthroughs of the game, and the games colors are relatively bright, but there's nothing in the game besides the final boss battle that could be considered mentally disturbing.

But then you come to this battle with, if I remember correctly, is supposed to be evil itself.

The music is absolutely disturbing, and the background looks like a fetus .___.

..The background is white and a really dark red if you were wondering. But seriously, that was really creepy.

Another one that unnerved me was the final boss of Okami: Yami.

It was creepy for me just because of the simple thought that you're facing, again, evil incarnate itself.

But if you know more about Japanese myths and legends then the battle is even more disturbing.

I mean, you've gone to dark areas in Okami before, but this final battle is just creepy considering that fact that you, the sun goddess in the form of a wolf, by some sort of paradox, need yourself at full power, and yourself to defeat the incarnation of a great evil.

Those are the two that I think are creepy anyways, there are probably others that I'm not thinking of atm, but I'm a bit too tired to think of any more.

at the momant the only non-horror boss that scared me that I can think of would be in monster hunter tri early on in the game theres a mission to gather red coral

and while doing that mission the boss monster (who you are totally not reay to face)

lagiacrus swims up and chases you.. it certainly scared me I was like OH censorkip.gif!!! i had to take a breather to calm down before i could finish playing..

the boss itself isnt that scary its just the game has it set up so powerful censorkip.gif doesnt useally apper till you are ready for it so the game makes it seem safe to swim but in theat one mission bam boss after your ass

(also note its dragon sized and can eat you in one bite)

user posted image

bosses aside i am terrified of the redeads from Ocarina of Time and twilight princess

not so much their cel shaded counter parts i suppose its the whole loud scream followed by face rape thing..

Edited by chickenhound

Vanitas Ventas from Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. They put my favorite character's head on my least favorite character's body and just the splice thing was creepy.

There were more, but I'm too tired to think.

*shifty eyes* *feels lame*

Xehanort.'s Heartless (kingdom hearts)

I don't know why, but something about his icky tanned skin and orange eyes has just always like..freaked me out. And the way he talks makes my skin crawl. It's just too much, lol. Oddly enough, I'm fine with Xemnas and Master Xehanort (although he does do weird things with his hands that makes me want to smack him.)

-looks around and whispers-

The giant fish-thing boss from Drawn to Life.

The Angler King, as his name implies, is a huge orange deep-sea anglerfish, complete with a big upturned mouth, long fangs, and glowing lure. There is a large blue coral like the ones found as normal enemies in earlier levels mounted on his back oozing shadow goo; shadow goo also seeps from around his pure white eyes.

I don't know, the game is rated E but it's creepy as hell.

What about Giygas from Earthbound. You can't get more disturbing than that.

not sure if this counts but on the subject of creepy kirby bosses ...

in elementary school i was scared of kracko

user posted image

I think it must of been because as a child I was terrified of thunderstorms and he is a living thunderstorm cloud

and no i am not scared of him anymore

Edited by chickenhound

Zero from kirby's Dreamland 3,
(warning: blood)

Oh... God. I didn't click the link, but I searched him on the kirby wikia and holy mackerel. Can't get any more graphic then that.

....not exactly a boss, but this creeped the hell outta me.

Again, not another boss, but this-

user posted image

Baww Banjo Kazooie.

Maiden Astraea from Demon's Souls. Basically, you have to kill her knight, then her, while she begs you to stop. 'Cause, she traded her soul for a Demon's soul so she could help the messed-up people living in the Valley of Defilement, and while it was noble, it made her be a Demon, basically, so you have to kill her. It's really sad, creepy, and just plain terrible.

....not exactly a boss, but this creeped the hell outta me.

omg forgot about dead hand yea he is distributing he belongs in a horror game not a game like zelda *shiver*

Edited by chickenhound

Oh... God. I didn't click the link, but I searched him on the kirby wikia and holy mackerel. Can't get any more graphic then that.

A floating eyeball, graphic? I don't see it.

@AruGard:Eh kinda creepy but could be creepier.

@Vexx:Reminds me of conker enemies.

I still hold Clotho from GoW3 is the creepiest so far.

Don't forget 02 ;-;

Edit:

There seems to be a theme to Kirby's last bosses

Edited by Rouxy

Don't forget 02 ;-;

Edit:

There seems to be a theme to Kirby's last bosses

A theam of flying eyeballs.

a bit weird perhaps but hardly creepy.

Lord Woo Fak Fak from Banjo Tooie. Being stuck in a locker with a gaping-mouthed anglerfish was just spooky. And you had to shoot his...boils? xd.png And that's why I love Banjo-Tooie. It's so nonsensical.

Here's a really good list:

Warning though...... just warning.

Other from that, Psycho Mantis all the way.

A floating eyeball, graphic? I don't see it.

@AruGard:Eh kinda creepy but could be creepier.

@Vexx:Reminds me of conker enemies.

I still hold Clotho from GoW3 is the creepiest so far.

I meant how the wikia described his attacks. And blood bullets? An eye being ripped out of another floating eye? It's a wonder they didn't have Rated E10+ back then when they made the game.

The Undead Draconians from Wizard101 (The Great Spyre, Dragonspyre) are disturbing. They are not bosses, but they do have pale, rotting flesh. And this is a kids game too...

Sorry I don't have a picture with me now.

Edited by evina

Here's a really good list:

Warning though...... just warning.

Other from that, Psycho Mantis all the way.

ugg forgot about mimi and her disturbing transformation...

and blaf I have dragon age but I havent gotten that far yet dont know if I want to now..

Edited by chickenhound