Mitesla

Most disturbing non-horror boss?

Did you ever actually reach Giygas? You know, the whole devil machine thing, etc.?

If your criteria is that the surrounding place needs to look like a horror movie, then that rather defeats the non-horror aspect of the thread.

Giygas aside, I have something disturbing out of WoW: The Upside-down Sinners. Actually, the entirety of Karahan Crypt. Hundreds of people crucified upside-down underwater, scorched corpses and mummies, lethal pits and bone piles, every door and gate creaks and makes you think something will jump out at you even though you know the area is devoid of NPCs. There's a reason they had to block that area off.

I've seen and heard.

The look is not creepy in the slightest with those graphics and a creepy sound needs equally creepy looks or it is just sound. Creepy looks can stand alone but sound can't.

No it doesn't. Horror theme doesn't monopolise creepy looks. It is just expected to have them. And I never said it needs the look like a horror movie. It just needs a creepy look.

I've seen and heard.

The look is not creepy in the slightest with those graphics and a creepy sound needs equally creepy looks or it is just sound. Creepy looks can stand alone but sound can't.

No it doesn't. Horror theme doesn't monopolise creepy looks. It is just expected to have them. And I never said it needs the look like a horror movie. It just needs a creepy look.

@Lythiaren:I see what your saying but gibberish, non-coherent, nonesense isn't, by itself, creepy. You need the look or setting to match and it just doesn't have it. Final boss black screen with skuls isn't the right setting or look. If it was a different setting or a gorier look then I would agree. And the thing about final bosses is they all seem to think your HP is candy.

Why the bold then?

Why the bold then?

Since when did If it was a different setting or a gorier look then I would agree mean needs to look like a horror movie?

Because... that's basically saying "It needs to look horrific"?

Horrific != disturbing. The two are often found together, but look at, say, Khezu. That's not horrific. It's just creepy. And that's just a static image; try fighting it without thinking "fnjkadhjslk ewww" while it flops its slimy phallic body all over the map.

Edited by Lythiaren

Because... that's basically saying "It needs to look horrific"?

Horrific != disturbing. The two are often found together, but look at, say, Khezu. That's not horrific. It's just creepy. And that's just a static image; try fighting it without thinking "fnjkadhjslk ewww" while it flops its slimy phallic body all over the map.

gorier=/=horrific

You are twisting my words. I never said horrific. Look at clotho from GoW3. Highly disturbing. The bloodmother, also disturbing. GoW3 is VERY gory. It is NOT a horror game.

As I said horror themes do not hold a monopoly over anything scary/creepy/disturbing-in-the-slightest. It is just expected to have them.

I would say "Jenova" from Final Fantasy 7

Her backstory is insane for a FF character

Her first appearance scared the living *** out of me and i went "WTF is that!?"

Also overall, her ability to still infulence her own living tissue is kind of disturbing if you actually think of it.

Still, we have lots of bosses that can be a little "over-the-edge"

But what kinda scares me is: what did the designer, their team, or the man/woman behind the idea is trying to say by this... In Earthbound i must say the boss was quite disturbing considering the symbolic, if you think of it as a ghost, you wont get scared, if you think of what it might symbol and what the heck the makers of the boss tried to tell with it.

Visuals and Audio can scare you, The symbols, the background, the idea itself is what really frightens you.

user posted image

Wallmasters.

;m; Disembodied hands creep me out a little, I freaked out even on the gameboy games.

.....and not even an enemy-

user posted image

Sorry sir, I don't have your money.

user posted image

OHSHI-

Edit: This.

....and the slime thing on the sunken ship in Okami. After you dry everything up- the sucking! SSLLLLRRRRPPPP SSSLLLLRRRRRRPPPP

Edited by Vexx

gorier=/=horrific

You are twisting my words. I never said horrific. Look at clotho from GoW3. Highly disturbing. The bloodmother, also disturbing. GoW3 is VERY gory. It is NOT a horror game.

As I said horror themes do not hold a monopoly over anything scary/creepy/disturbing-in-the-slightest. It is just expected to have them.

You're twisting mine just as much as I'm twisting yours here. :V

The thing is, you're not looking at the boss in context. You're going off graphics alone and no, creepy appearance doesn't make something disturbing either. You need to look at the entire context or you're just saying "Oh that's lame it's just a distorted 16-bit red skull".

Doesn't do any justice when you consider that the boss in question is the mind-controlling Embodiment of Evil, designed to represent one of the most horrible things someone could possibly do to someone else. There's a reason people are disturbed by Giygas and you're adding on needless criteria specifically to this case.

And for the record? Clotho isn't even fought hand to hand. She's so disturbing because you have to climb up her body, Driving spike into her body and impaling her multitudes of tiny arms, looking at all the disgusting flabby folds and ticks in her body hair, including her pubic hair, all the way up. Then she gets to slap you around.

Still, we have lots of bosses that can be a little "over-the-edge"

But what kinda scares me is: what did the designer, their team, or the man/woman behind the idea is trying to say by this... In Earthbound i must say the boss was quite disturbing considering the symbolic, if you think of it as a ghost, you wont get scared, if you think of what it might symbol and what the heck the makers of the boss tried to tell with it.

Visuals and Audio can scare you, The symbols, the background, the idea itself is what really frightens you.

Not always. A backstory is all well and good, symbolism too, but you still need a creepy look. If some character had a horrible backstory but looked normal and acted normal that is hardly creepy. Even without pictures the most important aspect is the visuals. You can make something normal seem creepy by making up a backstory BUT you still need visuals in that backstory to set it off.

Which could be why I don't think of him as creepy. The guy looks coolish with red floating ghosts, what he represents, supposedly, I can't see, gibberish that is not too creepy. Otherwise I don't know much. With everything I've seen of him I just can't find him creepy.

These are of course my opinions.

Not always. A backstory is all well and good, symbolism too, but you still need a creepy look. If some character had a horrible backstory but looked normal and acted normal that is hardly creepy. Even without pictures the most important aspect is the visuals. You can make something normal seem creepy by making up a backstory BUT you still need visuals in that backstory to set it off.

Which could be why I don't think of him as creepy. The guy looks coolish with red floating ghosts, what he represents, supposedly, I can't see, gibberish that is not too creepy. Otherwise I don't know much. With everything I've seen of him I just can't find him creepy.

These are of course my opinions.

But it isn't about being creepy. It's about being DISTURBING. Horrible people in real life who are horrible people look normal, but their actions are still disturbing. What makes video games different?

From the game Bloodrayne 2, there is this monster called Sleez. and "it" keeps saying "bring me my children" when the thing is 50 feet tall!!!!!

But it isn't about being creepy. It's about being DISTURBING. Horrible people in real life who are horrible people look normal, but their actions are still disturbing. What makes video games different?

The ACT of doing it is disturbing but just representing it? Hardly. As-a-mater-O-factly, pretty stupid.

...Not sure if Batman is supposed to be a horror game or not. Just... dark.

From 1:00 until 4:30 - literally crapped myself while playing it the first time.

....nb4 "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEAAADDD"

The ACT of doing it is disturbing but just representing it? Hardly. As-a-mater-O-factly, pretty stupid.

I am going to elaborate a bit. If this guy is supposed to represent rape then why doesn't he look it? He looks more like death than rape. THAT is what I find stupid.

I am going to elaborate a bit. If this guy is supposed to represent rape then why doesn't he look it? He looks more like death than rape. THAT is what I find stupid.

Of course he seems lame if you're not only looking exclusively at his graphic, but also ignoring event leading up to the fight, all the stuff he says between the jibberish, and the fact that he must be beaten with prayers rather than attacks. All that stuff has symbolism too, and if you ignore it you're only judging the book by it's cover.

Using a horror example, would Pyramid Head be as scary if you only looked at a picture of him out of context and didn't know he wore an apron made of human flesh and went around mindlessly committing atrocities? No. No he would not.

And before I forget that I'm mentining fight mechanics in this post:

Back to Clotho. I guarantee you she wouldn't be as freaky if she was scaled down to a normal sized woman with all the gross mutations and was then fought in normal combat. Why do I say this?

Crown Princess Theradras. Common reaction: "That's one ugly princess. Hehehe she farts. Sure hits hard."

There isn't much in terms of lore leading up to her, and what little there is only tells you she's daughter of the Stonemother, and that she and the first son of Cenarius were lovers who gave rise to the centaur.

Clotho. Common reaction: "WHAT THE censorkip.gif IS THIS. I HAVE TO CLIMB UP HER BUG INFESTED PITS WHY ARE THERE ARMS EVERYWHERE WHAT IS THAT HER PUBES?!?! DDDD:"

That reaction made worse, of course, by the fact that her sisters before her were quite attractive despite being psychos. And of course all the explanation for her is that she's one of the three sisters and she spins the threads. Could've made her a spider or something, but nope, she's a gigantic mutant hag.

Edited by Lythiaren

Of course he seems lame if you're not only looking exclusively at his graphic, but also ignoring event leading up to the fight, all the stuff he says between the jibberish, and the fact that he must be beaten with prayers rather than attacks. All that stuff has symbolism too, and if you ignore it you're only judging the book by it's cover.

Using a horror example, would Pyramid Head be as scary if you only looked at a picture of him out of context and didn't know he wore an apron made of human flesh and went around mindlessly committing atrocities? No. No he would not.

And before I forget that I'm mentining fight mechanics in this post:

Back to Clotho. I guarantee you she wouldn't be as freaky if she was scaled down to a normal sized woman with all the gross mutations and was then fought in normal combat. Why do I say this?

Crown Princess Theradras. Common reaction: "That's one ugly princess. Hehehe she farts. Sure hits hard."

Clotho: "WHAT THE censorkip.gif IS THIS. I HAVE TO CLUMB UP HER BUG INFESTED PITS WHY ARE THERE ARMS EVERYWHERE WHAT IS THAT HER PUBES?!?! D:"

I'm not ignoring it. I've never played the game. I'm going by what I've seen and heard and I'm not impressed. Sure he is slightly disturbing but there are much more disturbing things. Like clotho or the bloodmother.

I find pyramid head too awesome to be disturbing.

But the point is she IS colossal. Saying if she wasn't doesn't change the fact that she is.

PS3 doesn't like the link.

Exactly what I thought. It helps that GoW has superb graphics.

I have a high tolerance to the creepy them most as I was a scardy cat as a child so there isn't much that disturbs me anymore. If that means anything.

You've completely missed my point. I'm saying the experience is what makes the boss. It doesn't matter if Clotho was huge. Heck if you scaled up Kratos to giant size like they did in GoW1, she still wouldn't be half as creepy. Remember the girl in The Ring? Yeah, given a photo of her on a white background I wouldn't say she was creepy. In need of a bath and a hairbrush, perhaps. After watching the movie? A lot of people would run screaming if they walked into a room and found her there.

The graphics just aren't nearly as important as you're asserting. Theradras is hideous. Disturbing? Not in the slightest. Clotho given by herself is also just ugly. Put her in the game and she's really freaky. Only when she's put into context does she become disturbing.

Edited by Lythiaren

You've completely missed my point. I'm saying the experience is what makes the boss. It doesn't matter if Clotho was huge. Heck if you scaled up Kratos to giant size like they did in GoW1, she still wouldn't be half as creepy. Remember the girl in The Ring? Yeah, given a photo of her on a white background I wouldn't say she was creepy. In need of a bath and a hairbrush, perhaps. After watching the movie? A lot of people would run screaming if they walked into a room and found her there.

The graphics just aren't nearly as important as you're asserting. Theradras is hideous. Disturbing? Not in the slightest. Clotho given by herself is just ugly. Put her in the game and she's really freaky.

Ugly plays a part in creepyness. I've seen plenty of giant enemies. Being giant AND ugly AND having to climb her IS disturbing. Also a picture alone is rather disturbing. She isn't just ugly. She didn't just fall off the ugly tree. She fell on the whole fugly forest. In-and-of-itself that amount of pure fugly is rather creepy.

You can't add in all these IFs. They didn't scale her down or kratos up. If the graphics weren't as good she would probably be less creepy also BUT the graphics showed every detail (even pubes) so it stands. If if if if. All of them don't make to the truth any less disturbing.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/disturb...odRedSkies2.jpg

Do I have a clue what this^ is? No I don't.

Do I find it disturbing? Yes I do.

My poin is ugly can=disturbing.

Wait I just looked up Theradras. You don't find the fact that it has arms in its head, three faces (all of which look male), disturbing?

You can't add in all these IFs. They didn't scale her down or kratos up. If the graphics weren't as good she would probably be less creepy also BUT the graphics showed every detail (even pubes) so it stands. If if if if. All of them don't make to the truth any less disturbing

....difference between saying what is or isn't and what if is that you're supposed to look at the what if as though it is an entirely different situation.

"WELL IT IS HUGE SO THERE"

IF that character wasn't as huge, as well-detailed, THEN it wouldn't be so creepy. THEREFORE, the hugeness and the detail adds to the creepy-factor. Bring that to another character in another game- are they as huge and detailed? No? then it isn't as creepy.

IF you didn't have to creep up the side of the huge, well-detailed monster, THEN it may not be as creepy. THEREFORE the creepiness can be coming from the actions of crawling up the side. Also ties in with the hugeness.

Both of you, really. Can we just agree this entire topic is, like, opinion-oriented anyway and get on with life?

....difference between saying what is or isn't and what if is that you're supposed to look at the what if as though it is an entirely different situation.

"WELL IT IS HUGE SO THERE"

IF that character wasn't as huge, as well-detailed, THEN it wouldn't be so creepy. THEREFORE, the hugeness and the detail adds to the creepy-factor. Bring that to another character in another game- are they as huge and detailed? No? then it isn't as creepy.

IF you didn't have to creep up the side of the huge, well-detailed monster, THEN it may not be as creepy. THEREFORE the creepiness can be coming from the actions of crawling up the side. Also ties in with the hugeness.

Both of you, really. Can we just agree this entire topic is, like, opinion-oriented anyway and get on with life?

As per that last part yeah.

The rest kinda melted my brain...........

Psh, that? You think that's disturbing? Lame, it's just weird and a little creepy, but sure as hell isn't disturbing.

And you know what? Visuals =/= only thing that makes disturbing. To you, maybe. But you =/= everybody else, so you can't definitively say that something is or is not disturbing.

Personally, I find it really disturbing when somebody has a very creepy background but looks and acts perfectly normal 95% of the time. There's just something about that whole reinforcing the "you never know who around you is insanely censorkip.gif ed up" thing that just disturbs me to no end.

And you've admitted you've never even played the game that you're claiming the boss isn't disturbing, right? You thus have no room to say it truly is or is not. You can't judge a book by the cover, and even a synopsis won't always give you a good feel--there are plenty of things I've initially judged to be stupid or lame just from what I knew, but when I actually gave them a proper try I understood what people were saying.

There's probably a reason lots of people who have played the game are disturbed, and if you've never played it you just can't get it. Now, if you play it and find that you're not disturbed, great, you just have a different sense of what's disturbing.

But, as I recall, the point of this topic is not to find out what you find disturbing or not, but to find out what multiple people find disturbing. And If some people find that thing disturbing, that's just fine. :|

Also, just looked up Theradras, too, and I don't think that's disturbing at all, really.

As for me personally, bosses I found disturbing... I dunno, I guess this, because it's a freakin' SPIDER, and I hate spiders. They creep me out, thus this battle was disturbing for me.

Psh, that? You think that's disturbing? Lame, it's just weird and a little creepy, but sure as hell isn't disturbing.

And you know what? Visuals =/= only thing that makes disturbing. To you, maybe. But you =/= everybody else, so you can't definitively say that something is or is not disturbing.

Personally, I find it really disturbing when somebody has a very creepy background but looks and acts perfectly normal 95% of the time. There's just something about that whole reinforcing the "you never know who around you is insanely censorkip.gif ed up" thing that just disturbs me to no end.

And you've admitted you've never even played the game that you're claiming the boss isn't disturbing, right? You thus have no room to say it truly is or is not. You can't judge a book by the cover, and even a synopsis won't always give you a good feel--there are plenty of things I've initially judged to be stupid or lame just from what I knew, but when I actually gave them a proper try I understood what people were saying.

There's probably a reason lots of people who have played the game are disturbed, and if you've never played it you just can't get it. Now, if you play it and find that you're not disturbed, great, you just have a different sense of what's disturbing.

But, as I recall, the point of this topic is not to find out what you find disturbing or not, but to find out what multiple people find disturbing. And If some people find that thing disturbing, that's just fine. :|

Also, just looked up Theradras, too, and I don't think that's disturbing at all, really.

As for me personally, bosses I found disturbing... I dunno, I guess this, because it's a freakin' SPIDER, and I hate spiders. They creep me out, thus this battle was disturbing for me.

Have I ever said my opinion was the only one? No. Just because I have never played the game doesn't mean anything. In fact your patronizing is rather insulting.

Yes I can say definitively. Just like someone else can say the opposite definitively.

Yes you can judge a book by the cover. It works for me. I am actually a pretty good judge. I judged twilight stupid from the cover, silent hill, conker, pokemon, ext... I have all judged right by the cover alone. The saying saying you can't is crap.

To end this I direct you to vexx's last post (end) and to mine afterwards.

Ugly plays a part in creepyness. I've seen plenty of giant enemies. Being giant AND ugly AND having to climb her IS disturbing. Also a picture alone is rather disturbing. She isn't just ugly. She didn't just fall off the ugly tree. She fell on the whole fugly forest. In-and-of-itself that amount of pure fugly is rather creepy.

You can't add in all these IFs. They didn't scale her down or kratos up. If the graphics weren't as good she would probably be less creepy also BUT the graphics showed every detail (even pubes) so it stands. If if if if. All of them don't make to the truth any less disturbing.

Wait I just looked up Theradras. You don't find the fact that it has arms in its head, three faces (all of which look male), disturbing?

Well yeah. That's what I'm saying. The fact that you're normal-size Kratos climbing up this ugly behemoth for a showdown at her face is part of what makes her disturbing. Most other situations between the two would make her considerably less so. The experience is important. Downplaying Giygas simply because you're missing details doesn't make him any less disturbing, imo. Go play the game, I only got up to him and never finished the game because I couldn't get through the insane fight.

Your link? Not disturbing to me at all. It's out of context; to me it's just a collection of tentacle things and an eyeball shooting stuff, just like you see Giygas as nothing but a 16-bit red skull. Theradras? For all her icky doodads... nah. I mean if her fight mechanics involved an up-close-and-personal encounter with her faces or something, I'd say maybe? But she's not a raid boss with fancy mechanics. She's just a nobody dungeon boss with a smidgeon of lore who stomps on the ground and toots out dust clouds to me.

Edited by Lythiaren

Well yeah. That's what I'm saying. The fact that you're normal-size Kratos climbing up this ugly behemoth for a showdown at her face is part of what makes her disturbing. Most other situations between the two would make her considerably less so. The experience is important. Downplaying Giygas simply because you're missing details doesn't make him any less disturbing, imo. Go play the game, I only got up to him and never finished the game because I couldn't get through the insane fight.

Your link? Not disturbing to me at all. It's out of context; to me it's just a collection of tentacle things and an eyeball shooting stuff, just like you see Giygas as nothing but a 16-bit red skull. Theradras? For all her icky doodads... nah. I mean if her fight mechanics involved an up-close-and-personal encounter with her faces or something, I'd say maybe? But she's not a raid boss with fancy mechanics. She's just a nobody dungeon boss with a smidgeon of lore who stomps on the ground and toots out dust clouds to me.

Not my POV but I at least see what your saying.

Nah, not my cup of tea.