hibini

Are humans more important than animals?

No thanks what? No thanks, you don't want to try to live without all the man-made amenities you so clearly despise just because tigers don't want your money? That doesn't make any sense, so I suppose it's not that...

You actually do not have any idea what charities have helped me and why, so it's really hard to assume it's because of greedy government types, innit?

Anyhow, yes, yes it is enough to matter. Ever heard the story of the man who stood on the beach and threw stranded sea stars back into the ocean? There were piles of stranded sea stars, and someone asked him how he could possibly do what he was doing, since it wouldn't matter. He picked one up, tossed it back into the ocean, and said, "It matters to that one." Why does something have to matter in REALLY! OBVIOUS! WAYS!!! to matter at all?

You seem to be enjoying using your man-made computer with your man-made Internet (presumably in your man-made house while sitting in a man-made chair while wearing man-made clothes) all the same...

I lived near a lake for a while. Really, it was a mud hole by nature. Stank. Fish regularly died in it, floating to the surface in big frothy bunches. It was completely disgusting. However, because it was so completely disgusting, people decided to help out, and built some aerators into the bottom of the lake as well as managed a few other things, and now it's actually quite nice. In this case, people helped the environment.

I also live in an area that must be cleared of brush and have controlled fires regularly. The plants actually need fire to tell their seeds to sprout, and overall, everything is just much better off without so much brush about because too much means the fire burns too hot and becomes destructive. Guess what? The coyotes don't clean the brush! Humans do.

I came here to post my opinion, not get bashed. You see it your way. I'll see it my way.

This is general discussion, so opinions do tend to get discussed. Your opinion was not 'bashed'. It was disagreed with. There is a difference.

There's no shortage of humans.

There IS a shortage of tigers.

collectively, animals ARE more important than humans, but as far as individual species go, humans are generally more important than each separate species.

collectively, animals ARE more important than humans, but as far as individual species go, humans are generally more important than each separate species.

but each species is vitally important to the ecosystem that it helps support/revitalize. without them WE wouldn't have a planet to live on.

I put "generally" there for a reason, you know. :P

On an individual basis, we can generally live without certain species.

But that's not to say the environment isn't a serious concern, which it obviously is.

but each species is vitally important to the ecosystem that it helps support/revitalize. without them WE wouldn't have a planet to live on.

We actually would, it would just not be a very hospitable planet and we wouldn't live long on it.

Edited by Princess Artemis

People can help themselves, or go and get help. I detest most of humanity for so many reasons. I'm with the animals all the way.

Edited by MedievalMystic

This is general discussion, so opinions do tend to get discussed. Your opinion was not 'bashed'. It was disagreed with. There is a difference.

Maybe you should hear what you preach before you tell others, huh?

Neither should be forced to die off U:

I'd be more likely to support animals though, as long as their population is kept under control.

Both are just as important as the other. : P

My opinion.

Maybe you should hear what you preach before you tell others, huh?

Maybe you should learn to accept that this is GD and your opinion will be debated whether you like it or not.

Debating =/= bashing.

Welcome to GD.

Either toughen up, or leave the section.

Protip: The saying is "Practice what you preach."

Attack the topic not each other.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=boardrules

Respect Others

It isn't possible to get far in the world if you refuse to respect others. Treat others kindly, don't insult them, and others will do the same in return.

If you refuse to treat others well, then you will get not only a warning, but a bad reputation, which opens the door for more negativity.

Edited by _Z_

They're both important, and it all depends on the situation. =| That being said, if I had to choose between tigers and people, I'd choose people.

I would donate money for the animals.. I like them much much more than I like humans. But I wouldn't donate at all, if I didn't have to :> I'm raised like that.

Either way, I think we are worth just as much as the animals.

Edited by Spirit_

People can help themselves, or go and get help. I detest most of humanity for so many reasons. I'm with the animals all the way.

Not all humans can help themselves. Like I when on a mission trip to fix houses. There were 64 houses the whole camp fized up and my crew fixed up this persons house. She has 2 son (to young to fix a house) and she is a single mother. Bad? shes unemployie. Bad enough? She has cancer and cant fiz anything herself. He house was falling beneither her families head. But then again I can home after fixing it and relized there are some really bad houses were I live too. I walk pass homeless people everyday and dont even notice them. Now, I atleast give a smile, if not some food I have. But still, I want to help animals. But if i ever say humans are over populated and some should die I'd be willing for my own life to be taken too. But I dont think that. We should all live.

The situation between saving humans and animals is an extremely tough choice for me.

Because of animals, the populations of other animals are lowering, especially when there are too many deer in the world.

Because of humans, most animals are almost extinct.

But because of animals, their populations are growing and there will be too many of them.

But because of humans, some people will try to save animals or lower their populations.

See what I mean?

The situation between saving humans and animals is an extremely tough choice for me.

Because of animals, the populations of other animals are lowering, especially when there are too many deer in the world.

Because of humans, most animals are almost extinct.

But because of animals, their populations are growing and there will be too many of them.

But because of humans, some people will try to save animals or lower their populations.

See what I mean?

The whole animal overpopulation thing doesn't usually happen if people aren't around.

It -generally- happens when humans kill/chase off the predators.

For example, deer in some areas can overpopulate because while people might not mind deer wandering around a semi-rural area, people usually aren't okay with mountain lions sleeping on their porch.

The whole animal overpopulation thing doesn't usually happen if people aren't around.

If a natural population imbalance rights itself in the forest, but no one was there to see it, did it actually happen?

Both are important.

I pretty much dislike the human kind and I think animals don't have all the sick/evil/wrong things we have.

If I prefer to spend time with my dog than other human?

Hell yes.

But anyway I hate so see an animal or human being abused or injured.

The coyotes don't clean the brush! Humans do.

But some animals do extremely important things that humans can't. They provide us food, fertilizer, leather(though not my personal favorite), byproducts, etc. And though they don't value our lives above their own, some animal grow pretty censorkip.gif close to their human counterparts. Besides, while we're on the topic of human intelligence: humans are more developed brain-wise, giving them the ability to reason and consider the big picture. Yea, animals don't do that, and because they don't do that, they have no responsibility to make sure their population doesn't explode, because nature will balance itself. They can't even contemplate that. But humans can, and they have a responsibility to take into consideration their surroundings because their surroundings are what provide them with the resources and inspiration for further innovation. I am not speaking badly of technology or man-made things, but it's tough for someone like me to see people disrespect what has ultimately provided their advancement. Neither is more important and go ahead and believe that you are the most important thing in the world. That's not aimed at you in particular, just people who have said this.

IMO, I think us humans care about our lives too much. We ARE overpopulated, and the population is growing rapidly. I would give my life to lower the population, but that's me. Animals on the other hand are dying because of our overpopulation. Animals are more important than humans.

IMO, I think us humans care about our lives too much. We ARE overpopulated, and the population is growing rapidly. I would give my life to lower the population, but that's me. Animals on the other hand are dying because of our overpopulation. Animals are more important than humans.

It's natural for anything to care about its life, but we've done some pretty unnatural things, so it should be possible for us not to care only about ourselves.

But some animals do extremely important things that humans can't.

Of course they do. My point in bringing up coyotes not clearing the brush was to say something about humans and the environment. That is one case (and hardly the only one, it's just one that I'm familiar with) were humans being intelligent humans help the environment. Not perfectly, but what is ever perfectly done?

Incidentally, dolphin brains are more developed than human brains.

Anyhow, people and animals are both very important. I'll continue to support human charities though, since quite a lot of people seem to think humans are the worst thing to ever happen to planet Earth.

I would donate to animal charities over human charities pretty much any day of the week. Humanity has become, in and of itself, a plague on this planet. The people who are suffering is a result of other people, the animals that are being wiped out, hunted, abused, abandoned, etc. are the result of people as well. Most people have an opportunity to get out of their situations, at least here in America. Our system may be faulty, imperfect, and full of corruption, but there are opportunities outside of it as well (go Google Liz Murray, for instance).

While our 'highly developed intelligence' lends us the ability to be extremely useful and compassionate, it also lends the ability to be completely self-centered, arrogant, and destructive. Animals that haven't developed the complete self-awareness might not necessarily be aware of their 'cruelty' towards other species (though 'cruelty is used loosely, because MOST of the time it's based on survival of the individual or nature's Survival of the Fittest), we are.

I'm not saying that anyone is a terrible person for wanting to donate to human charities, or wanting to help humanity as a species over animals, but there are far more people giving money to the "Children in Africa" or to Breast Cancer Awareness* than to the organizations to save our habitat, or the animals that we (as a population) have abused and mistreated. And when it comes to a donation, I can see where my money's going if I donate to the local animal shelter vs. some huge foundation for curing BigNameDisease#3, since the people working at the shelter are mostly volunteers and the ones getting paid are making about as much as I do, rather than lining their pockets with my donations.

My only exception to the animals-over-humans decision would be things such as disaster relief. Japan being a prime example: When half of your country is essentially wiped out, there's not much you can do about that :/

And on the subject of people needing to be wiped out, I agree. Even if I have to be one of them. This planet is just waiting for one big pandemic that doctors can't cure. Whether it happens, or if people just wipe themselves out through destroying the atmosphere, destroying all of the forests that produce our oxygen, or something a bit more

, I don't know. But one day something's going to give.

*On breast cancer awareness: Idk about other countries, but in the US I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE KNOWS BREAST CANCER EXISTS. Now, can we start advertising to raise money for the cure, specifically? I'd personally be more likely to buy the shirt if the money were going towards finding a cure rather than raising awareness. Kthx.

[/vent] Sorry. This is something of a close-to-my-heart type thing

My only exception to the animals-over-humans decision would be things such as disaster relief. Japan being a prime example: When half of your country is essentially wiped out, there's not much you can do about that :/

And on the subject of people needing to be wiped out, I agree. Even if I have to be one of them. This planet is just waiting for one big pandemic that doctors can't cure.

Curiosity: Why do you donate to disaster relief if you believe humanity is a plague and what we really need is a pandemic doctors can't cure to wipe us out? Ought not natural disasters 'cull the herd' just as well?