Essais

Books as Gifts

A friend and I were discussing this the other day, with Christmas coming up. It can be tough buying a book that matches a friend's literary tastes. Like, you don't want to make the mistake of buying a bad cliche fantasy novel that your friend will hate haha. It's not impossible though, and we came up with some good ones (mostly classics). So here's the discussion pitch: What's a book you enjoyed so much that you would want the book reader in your life to enjoy as well? Why?

I would buy a copy of Wild Swans, by Jung Chang, to give as a gift to someone--to almost anyone. It's a very inspirational book that most people could get into about three generations of women in China--non-fiction, but told in a very captivating way.

If the person I'm buying for is younger, Watership Down and Sabriel (of the Abhorsen trilogy) would be great for the young reader. They're both YA books that a) don't talk down to the reader and cool.gif are really enjoyable to read as adults too.

On the other hand, what's a book you would like to receive as a gift? (Pick one you haven't read but want to.)

Me: Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's been recommended to me dozens of times, and I know that Gaiman and Pratchett are pretty bad*ss individually, let alone put together.

Hopefully this thread will be somewhat discussive, instead of just dissolving into 1-word answers.

The Temeraire series, especially the first three (His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, and Black Powder War), because they're awesome books. And it has dragons in it. It's set in the Napoleonic era, and dragons are like an air force, they can carry things, fight, and all kinds of "dragony" stuff.

But aside from their awesomeness (and the fact that it has dragons in it x3) they're historical fiction. These books totally made this particular time in history more interesting (I went and looked up more on this point in history after I read them, lol) for me.

They also really catch your interest; they have a pace that keeps you wanting to read them.

A book I'd like to recieve...there's so many.... The one at the top of the list right now is Crescendo (sequel to Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick), followed by Clockwork Angel (Cassandra Clare). I can't really choose between them. x.x I've read Hush, Hush and loved it and I've seen good reviews for Crescendo. I've read Clare's Mortal Instruments series and I want to read Clockwork Angel now (it's not part of the series).

Echoing the above post for what to give.

On what to receive, really any book in a series I haven't read that is fantasy, and not YA fantasy. I am willing to try out at least one book in a series to see if I like it, it doesn't have to be from some well-known author or anything. If it is bad, it is bad, if it is good, all the better for now I have a new series to read.

The Temeraire series, especially the first three (His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, and Black Powder War), because they're awesome books. And it has dragons in it. It's set in the Napoleonic era, and dragons are like an air force, they can carry things, fight, and all kinds of "dragony" stuff.

Seconding this. I've read the first book and loved it.

What I would gift someone who enjoys fantasy is The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. It's dark, funny, very well written and doesn't have any truly good or evil characters.

What I'd like to receive as gifts? The rest of the Temeraire series, the second witcher short story collection (The Sword of Truth?) and anything by Steven Brust besides Taltos and Phoenix which I already have.

Depends on the person, but books are always a good thing.

I've not really given many gifts, but were I to choose a book to give, something from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. SPREAD THE AWESOME.

My reading tastes are rather eclectic, so as non-thoughtful as it seems I'd most want to get (and if I don't know the person closely, give) a gift certificate. A large online retailer for me to have, a nice local independent bookstore to give. I wouldn't want to impose on someone else the burden of pretending to like something they didn't.

No one has ever managed to gift me a book I've bothered reading more than once or felt deeply about, so.. /shrugs

I'm weird. :'D

No one has ever managed to gift me a book I've bothered reading more than once or felt deeply about, so.. /shrugs

I'm weird. :'D

But were they entertaining, at least?

I feel that if what I've given is entertaining, then I've done enough. It's hard to find a book that really clicks for a person.

The Foundation Series by Asimov... -really needs to read them-

The only book I have been able to unreservedly recommend was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This is because I felt that the author wrote about a little known controversial topic with great sensitivity. She also writes pretty well about relationships, particularly the relationship between parents and children. I have recommended it to a few of my former coworkers. Those who did read it liked it.

I actually did give this book as a gift once. She was delighted since she had been wanting to read it and had planned on getting it herself.

I used to gift books to a particular friend when I was younger with little regard for her own literary tastes, and more based on my own. I managed to wise up - a little late - and gave gifts that would be acceptable to anyone - dinner. smile.gif On two occasions I managed to gift books that she were more to her taste: The Devil's Dictionary (she had lost her own copy), and The Diary of Frida Kahlo (she was an admirer of her at the time).

From my experience with that particular friend, I now consider more of the other person's tastes and interests if I intend to gift a book rather than a favorite of mine that I want to share.

As for me, I would be far happier with a gift card to a bookstore.

Seconding this. I've read the first book and loved it.

What I would gift someone who enjoys fantasy is The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski. It's dark, funny, very well written and doesn't have any truly good or evil characters.

What I'd like to receive as gifts? The rest of the Temeraire series, the second witcher short story collection (The Sword of Truth?) and anything by Steven Brust besides Taltos and Phoenix which I already have.

Just to clarify, are you asking if The Sword of Truth is the name of the second witcher sort story collection, or questioning whether Sword of Truth is something you really want to receive as a gift? Because the Sword of Truth books are not short. And they have a couple witches in them, but are not "witchy". If the question was whether they are something you'd want to receive, I'd say very much YES. I thought they were wonderful. However my boyfriend hated them. Too much bondage and sexual assault on women for him.

Books I'd like to receive: I'm really not sure. I feel so bad for my mother because she tries so hard every year to find me good books that I haven't already read and every year it gets harder to remember which ones I already have. She does what she can with what she has to work with though.

Books I'd consider giving: Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden books, Sarah Douglass' Wayfarer Redemption series, Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan books, and Kelley Armstrong's Women of Otherworld Series for adult readers. Keep in mind, all of these books have sexual themes and are not for young adults.

For the younger crowd: Gareth Nix's Abhorsen books, anything by Tamora Pierce, Diane Duane's Young Wizardry Series, P C Cast's House of Night books, and anything by T A Barron.

I'll stand up behind all of my book choices too. If anyone wants to debate whether a set of books is a good choice, I'm entirely okay with defending my choices. Some of these are authors I've been following obsessively since my childhood.

Books are not always a good gift. I know a few people that'd throw it at my head was I to gift books.

But for readers, it's a great gift. I have a friend who has a tendency to ALWAYS miss on the books I like, but, oh well. Last one she gifted was... UGH, was unable to go through the first few chapters. One of those rare occasions I was unable to finnish a book.

From Jodi Piccoult, I quiet enjoyed 19 Minutes, more than My Sister's Keeper. I recomend both books.

As for books I'd recomend, Dresden Files, anything Terry Pratchet, Harry Potter, dunno, I've read quiet a few good ones.

Anything by Mitch Albom is usually a good choice. The Five People You Meet in Heaven or Tuesdays With Maurie... Touching stories, if a bit sad.

Another book that could be given to just about anyone is the Oculatum. It's like a whole ton of inspirational fortune cookie-like phrases. It's supposed to help give insight or some such... It's just a neat little book.

Of course, you gotta know if the person you're giving it to is into reading a whole lot or not...

Personally... I'm happy with trying to collect classics, I also enjoy the older gothic tales and horror-ish types. I'm pretty picky, though. I usually hate books that are based around something realistic (like, say, a OMG DRAMAZ-FILLED AVENTOOR OF HIGH SCHOOLERZ or some stupid crap like that) but I like the more mysterious and horror types that could be based in something realistic. (Stephen King is an example of this. It's like it starts off semi-realistic, but then something insane happens.)

Books are not always a good gift. I know a few people that'd throw it at my head was I to gift books.

I will not argue that books are not always a good gift. A lot of people seem to rate them right up there with "those socks you really needed". But some of us are and always have been literary nuts. A gift should say something personal about the person you are giving it to. It says you know the person. Giving a book to a bookworm says you know the person. Giving a book to someone because you don't know what else to get them is just dumb.

I've always gotten books for Christmas and Birthdays. In fact, the more the better. But then, I was also that child whose parents punished her by taking her books away. Anyone else here got grounded from reading?

I also wanted to add a couple to the list of books for the younger crowd:

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede. They were wonderful books and had the one thing that I always looked for in books when I was in middle school. The main character is a strong female. The princess who doesn't want or need to be rescued. They are geared pretty young, but well written despite that fact (at least, that is what I remember. I was maybe 13 the last time I gave them a re-read)

To give people? I'd definitely recommend the Dragonriders of Pern books. They're wonderful books and a great mix of fantasy and sci-fi. I'd also recommend The Animals of Farthing Wood series, they're so enchanting and occasionally really sad.

As for books I'd like to recieve. Almost certainly the rest of the Dinotopia series (I have 2), just because they are entertaining and they've got dinosaurs in them, and in my opinion any book with dinosaurs is awesome.

I will not argue that books are not always a good gift. A lot of people seem to rate them right up there with "those socks you really needed". But some of us are and always have been literary nuts. A gift should say something personal about the person you are giving it to. It says you know the person. Giving a book to a bookworm says you know the person. Giving a book to someone because you don't know what else to get them is just dumb.

Exactly. It's just common sense not to buy books for people that you know for a fact do not like to read. I should hope no one thinks I implied otherwise in my first post. And while it is easier to choose your own books, there are sooo many books I would have never have found or enjoyed on my own had a friend/family member not given them to me. I like being surprised every once in a while, and I know the majority of bookworms in my life do as well.

I feel that if what I've given is entertaining, then I've done enough. It's hard to find a book that really clicks for a person.

I feel this way. I don't have to exalt the book or enjoy it only if it's flawless. Indeed, I enjoy the Temeraire series. They're far from perfect, but they're extremely entertaining. And the first was given to me as a gift smile.gif

I've always gotten books for Christmas and Birthdays. In fact, the more the better. But then, I was also that child whose parents punished her by taking her books away. Anyone else here got grounded from reading?

Never implied the contrary. I was simply stating that, logically, a book for someone who has book allergy is as good as gift as clothing for someone who just couldn't care less about what he's wearing.

I like books. Although I'm not sure if I want my best friend to keep gifting me books. The last few years she's been given me books I've simply tossed aside without as much as a glance.

I'm an avid fantasy reader, and I don't mind giving a try at something else. However, she gifted me;

1. Some monologue book, I admit it was funny but not the kind of read I'd be crazy for.

2. Some cra.... fantasy book I was unable to go past the first few pages. The shopkeeper said it was great, and, to be honest, I've never even heard about them.

3. Some self aid book for women with love issues... erm, she thought it was some sort of comedy.

The funny thing is I had been implying the books I wanted to read but.... you just don't find them at your typical mall, you need to know where to look for them.

NOTE; Here, at the mall, you can't find fantasy reading unless it's VERY famous, like Harry Potter. Normally, all you get are your actual conspiracy, Jesus Christ, Church, whatever books, books about politics, self aid books, erotic and romantic novel, and now, Twilight and its imitators.

You can't find thinks like His Dark Materials, The Dark Elf, ANYTHING D&D or Dragonlance, Terry Pratchet, and so on. You need to know where to look for them, and my friend never came with me to such shops because she found it boring. Oh well...

M is for Magic by Neil Gaiman is really good. :] I would totally want The Dragonriders of Pern.

I'd... also send out a few Warriors books to the younger readers and those who love cats, or something xd.png

And for those who like suspense-filled and mystery/dark and is young adult, I would definitely recommend Island of Lost Girls.

Just to clarify, are you asking if The Sword of Truth is the name of the second witcher sort story collection, or questioning whether Sword of Truth is something you really want to receive as a gift? Because the Sword of Truth books are not short. And they have a couple witches in them, but are not "witchy". If the question was whether they are something you'd want to receive, I'd say very much YES. I thought they were wonderful. However my boyfriend hated them. Too much bondage and sexual assault on women for him.

I wasn't sure about the name so I put a ? at the end (wiki lists it as The Sword Of Destiny). I really really want it but the reason I don't have it sitting on my shelf yet is that it hasn't been translated into English yet and I'm not sure if I'll manage to read it in German.

But were they entertaining, at least?

I've been gifted mostly inspirational/glurge-y books, fiction and nonfic, whose purpose wasn't entertainment. Probably some of them were inadvertently entertaining, but only inadvertently so. The one book I recall enjoying, I already had on the shelf. :'P

And I understand that it is difficult, having gone through the what-does-this-particular-person-merit game all too many times! I just wish that the people I know would stop trying to find specific books in genres it's obvious I don't read much of...

The suggestions of the employees in small bookstores, who really know the shelves they're working on and tend to be better-read than the people buying me books, has been much better for me than any book I've been gifted.

I wasn't sure about the name so I put a ? at the end (wiki lists it as The Sword Of Destiny). I really really want it but the reason I don't have it sitting on my shelf yet is that it hasn't been translated into English yet and I'm not sure if I'll manage to read it in German.

Okay. Well, you've got the wrong set of books then. The Sword of Truth books are written by Terry Goodkind and average about 800 pages each. I recommend them, but not for young adults. There is a lot of adult concepts in there. Good luck though! I hope you find the books you are looking for.

We're big readers in my family (on both my side, and my partner's) so book buying tends to be a little speculative. Chances are that the classics will all have been read (and are probably already owned) as will be anything really famous. So we go digging. We look for something on the back of a cover that jumps out as us and says "so-and-so would like this!". It's a gamble, but all of us know it's a gamble. Sometimes someone picks up a great book, that is not only read repeatedly but is often passed aorund the family to read as well, sometimes you hit a dud that actualy gets read once and then taken to a car boot sale.

Although, that said, this year my mum and I have worked out exactly who is getting which book for who. We had ann amusing time last Christmas, because a series we were both very fond of had a new book out in the December.... so we both bought it for each other. This year we've established exactly which books we're getting for each other so there isn't any doubling up.

Buying books in my family can be hard, because we either own them, or we don't know that the book is liked by someone.

So, if I find a book that I have never seen before that I know someone will love, I get it, and usually I am the only one to have seen it, which means there is only one in the family.

But the books that I want are not really ones that my family realizes I like, so I usually get them myself, after the holidays, just to make sure.

Curious, when you (all) buy books to gift:

Do you usually buy books you like/think are worth gifting first, then find people to give them to, or do you decide to buy someone a book, then go figure out what book to give them?

Curious, when you (all) buy books to gift:

Do you usually buy books you like/think are worth gifting first, then find people to give them to, or do you decide to buy someone a book, then go figure out what book to give them?

I buy books that I know are good, that I've already read, usually. I don't want to wind up gifting something really crappy and feeling bad when the person hates it. But it is based on the person. I buy the books for the person based on their wants and preferred reading material, rather than buying the books and trying to find someone who is suited to them.

There are a lot of books that I want to get, but I don't have the money so I guess getting them as a gift from my family would be nice.