Danniphantom

New Emoticons

How about this one? user posted image

I like the one for the post icons because it's the same style as almost all of the other ones.

I like the one for the post icons because it's the same style as almost all of the other ones.

Okay then how about this one?

user posted image

I like the current smiles we have, and do think there should be more, but as others have said, I also think biggrin.gif should be changed to laugh.gif. You'd still type ': D', but the lol face would pop up. I'm also not a fan of wink.gif and think it should be changed to something that looks less like a grimace/glare and more like a wink.

Personally, I wouldn't mind some new smilies.

I also think we should have a 'disable all smilies in all posts' button for the people who don't want to see any smilies.

I demand this become a smiley: user posted image

YES PLEASE. I COULD THINK OF SO MANY WAYS TO USE THAT.

Back on topic: I really don't like the :D smiley. Nor the wink. Doesn't look happy like it should. :l

I highly dislike the :P smiley icon as well.

Edited by UmbreWulf

I highly dislike the :P smiley icon as well.

This. It's annoying. I like the one on the IRC, but SO not the DCF one. and the :( face looks more worried than sad.

There should be a Trollface emote. 8D And a set of MLP emotes, and a banhammer emote for the mods...

I might just make a list. x3

Free For All To Use:

-Trollface

-MLP set

-MLP each pony seperate

-Bird flying

-Bow and Arrow

-Highfive

-Hug

-Headdesk

-Facepalm

-Creepy smile

-Tac Nayn

-Epic Face

-Thumbs up/Thumbs Down

Mods/TJ:

-Banhammer

-SPAM

This. It's annoying. I like the one on the IRC, but SO not the DCF one. and the sad.gif face looks more worried than sad.

There should be a Trollface emote. 8D And a set of MLP emotes, and a banhammer emote for the mods...

I might just make a list. x3

Free For All To Use:

-Trollface

-MLP set

-MLP each pony seperate

-Bird flying

-Bow and Arrow

-Highfive

-Hug

-Headdesk

-Facepalm

-Creepy smile

-Tac Nayn

-Epic Face

-Thumbs up/Thumbs Down

Mods/TJ:

-Banhammer

-SPAM

Sets are WAY too many smilies. That's getting into the range of DA. And I think you're including MLP stuff because you are into it. Other people couldn't care less.

Seriously, if there's an emote you must have then host it in your photobucket and copy-paste.

Can we please stick with little bitty emoticons ? The huge ones are hell on wheels for anyone on dial up - and not even great on a rocket hub. And they make the pages take an AGE to load.

A forum is a place to talk, not to show off artwork - even emoticon artwork - in posts, except in specific art threads. As long as readers have an idea what the emoticon used MEANS, that's all it needs, surely ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

By 'set' I mean all in ONE. And It would only be seven. Set, as in, all six ponies in one emote. Not a huge total set of sepearate emotes. But if you don't like that huge list, I could pick out just a few. Trollface, Tac Nayn, Epic face for everyone, and at least Banhammer for mods. Banhammer I just think would be neat for the mods, but if you don't want that it could be the SPAM one instead.

Ah. When I see "set" I think MLP emotes with a smile and a sad face and a frown and such. That's what made it seem huge.

By 'set' I mean all in ONE. And It would only be seven. Set, as in, all six ponies in one emote. Not a huge total set of separate emotes. But if you don't like that huge list, I could pick out just a few. Trollface, Tac Nayn, Epic face for everyone, and at least Banhammer for mods. Banhammer I just think would be neat for the mods, but if you don't want that it could be the SPAM one instead.

Why do we need a spam emoticon ? When I posted "Spam" in a thread, I was told by a mod please NOT to do that but to simply report. That it is up to THEM to mod, not members. And I think that's fair enough.

Edited for typefails.

Edited by fuzzbucket

*pokes some of the emotes on the front page* Besides, they're only suggestions. And It's a pain for me to go racing around the web to find images and copypase the codes into img tags, since I have a terribly laggy computer. Fuzz, the SPAM emote would be only for mods. I said that in my post.

Fuzz, the SPAM emote would be only for mods. I said that in my post.

I think the way mods handle spam now is preferable to posting a spam emote.

Smileys are fun! user posted image

That said, I will admit that I do like the smileys we have available on the forum. cool.gif

Sure, perhaps we could have some dragon-related once I suppose. user posted image

But the trouble with adding extra smileys is that it's hard to please everyone. user posted image

What one person likes, someone else doesn't, and someone else will not like that there's so many, and so we'll go back and forth. user posted image

I mean, who gets the final say in this? user posted image

Some people prefer functional, others just like the options have have cute, everyone has their own tastes. user posted image

Personally, I have a collection of my own, and when I feel the need to include one I like I'll go and find it and add it to my post. user posted image

Yeah, sure, it's more convenient to click "Show All" and pick something from the list displayed, but it's not that hard to locate one offline if you like it, is it? user posted image

I mean, I have some favorites, but they're not the sorts you can just throw into normal conversation, so there's no point adding them to a list, is there? user posted image

Something tells me that attempting to add more smileys on a large scale may end up going around in circles. user posted image

Or it could be that I just don't care if they're added to the forum, since I've got my own secret stash. user posted image

Did I mention that I really like smileys? user posted image

Just my two cents...

user posted image

Feel free to ignore. user posted image

okay, so the Smilie list you guys have is nice, simple but nice. that said, i'm offically requesting more and will list specific ones and why you do need to add them to the site.

first, why more smilies. well simply put Smilies are an important part of internet discussion on forums and chat areas. it has been proven that not all communication is verbal, that majority of communication is done via body language. for the internet, we communicate "verbally" through the written word and the smilies take the place not only of body language, but also take the place of tone which is usually communicated through vocally.

FACT! the entire meaning of a sentance on the interent can be altered by the usage of a smilie.

eg:

1. you're such a jerk!

2. you're such a jerk! tongue.gif

you can see the change in meaning and perception from the simple sentance above. example 1 is clearly the normal usage, meaning the user is displeased and is meant as an insult or admonishment of a persons actions.

example 2 is clearly using this wording in a teasing or affectionate manner and can actually be used to mean a term of enderment.

FACT! smilies can easily take the place of words and make expressing emotions easier on the interent.

eg:

1. wow i'm confused!

2. huh.gif

3. blink.gif

example #1 is the written form; there are many ways to write this.

#2 and #3 are smilies which repersents confusion at different levels; which not only express the users confusion but also the level or depth of their confusion.

so in closing, while the smilie list is a start, there is simply not enough to convey the true range of emotions that one should have at their disposal. int he next post i will list those that i feel would be a great addition to those currently available biggrin.gif

- a simple request for your local smilie junky

Smilie List

- :like: user posted image - this is the popular Face Book button. its used to indicate when a perosn "Likes" something and has replaced the "thumbsup" smilie

- :opps: user posted image - used to indicate embrassement and often in apologies

- :wtf: user posted image - used to express not only confusiong but generally to ask "wtf" or "da faq was that"

- user posted image would be a good replacement for ohmy.gif as it better expresses the emotion of OMG!

- user posted image can be added in addition to or replace mad.gif as it better illistrates the frustration and general outrage most of us feel (like with mis clicks and metals once again refusing to breed or rejecting a mate)

- >.< user posted image indicates doing a bonehead move or being annoyed

- :not worthy: user posted image - used for xpressing the unworthiness of a nice gift or to express our gratitude to the lovely mods and admins of this site

- :headdesk: user posted image - used to express the ulitmate frustration for what ever reason.

- :hissyfit: user posted image - cause sometimes sad.gif just doesn't cover exactly how upset you are at missing that CB gold

- :dance: user posted image - becuase everyone needs to celebrate

- :shifty: user posted image - is one of my personal favorites, as Mr. Shifty indicates both that you are playfully up to no good and that you arebeing rather mischeivious.

- :evil: user posted image - because soemtimes you just want to laugh meniacally

- :hyper: user posted image - successfully encompasses the emotion we all potray when capturing a CB Metal or getting a low gen Prize Dragon

- :chill: user posted image - easier to use than typing out "take a chill pill" or "chill dude"

- :2cents: user posted image - everyone likes to add their 2 cents, and likes to inform people that "thats just my 2 cents"

- user posted image replaces cool.gif - because black glasses on a smilie are so 1999. *kudos to anyone who gets the referance btw*

Edited by Red2111

oh i know; i even have a folder on my photobucket account dedicated to housing smilies for me to use if a site doesn't have them.

but its just easier to have very popular ones that everyone likes added to a site, rather than havign to go digging or searchign for them

No thanks. I would prefer that people take the time to actually type out their view not just fill their post with smilies.

As fun as they can be those icons are not really as informitive as someone typing 'I'm confused about -blank-' in most cases. unsure.gif doesn't tell you why someone is confused, unless they type that out afterwards.

user posted image Topics like this come up periodically, and while I share your love of smilies, I also agree that we don't really need more smilies on the forum.

Thanks to the internet there are so many available online to choose from anyway, so then it starts a whole question about which ones will be added and which ones will be discarded? user posted image

user posted image It's easier to pick and choose your own from off-site than it is to please everyone on this drama-loving forum!

And then who gets to make that final call? Especially if we're removing smilies that other people view as their favorites? user posted image

I sometimes go to a forum that has tons of smilies to choose from. I think if you printed them out you'd have at least ten pages of smilies to choose from! user posted image

user posted image The end result? It's impossible to find what you're looking for, and they use all sorts of weird coding to bring them up like :stpatricksdayclover32: so it's impossible to memorize for certain the ones you want.

At the end of the day, I think it's just easier to pick and choose what you want to use, when you want to use it, rather than simply relying upon the forum to supply the smilies that you want to use. We've got a great set of generic smilies here, and I feel that's enough. We'll never satisfy anyone anyway, because there's no way to include everything!

user posted image

Ok, that was just weird. I went to reply to red's topic, and while I was composing the reply it must have been merged.

*waves hello to Socky*

I don't use a lot of smilies as a rule. not alot.png

However, Solarcat, I must have the code for that fighter jet! MUST! I have a daughter who flies around in the backseat of a Super Hornet.

I don't feel that we really need more onsite smilies, except the occasional special ones that TJ adds, like shades.png (we need a top hat and monocle too, Mr. GentlemanBoss)

It's fun to have access to the others through other websites, but adding too many to this site makes it hard to find the particular one when you want it, and I feel takes the place sometimes of clearly expressed thoughts.

~Merged and updated the first post somewhat~

*Hey, Fi. x3*

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

However, Solarcat, I must have the code for that fighter jet! MUST! I have a daughter who flies around in the backseat of a Super Hornet.

[img=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/SolarCat/Smilies/Military/Tomcat.gif]

Very Much Appreciated!

user posted image --- ZOOM!

*wonders if she can find an F/A18F smilie anywhere* *or can sprite one*

Kanaye collected a bunch of smilies a while back for CPA.

They're in a post here free for anyone to use.

I'm not so sure we need more actual forum smilies.

I tend to feel that if we NEED more smilies, that there should perhaps be a project thread to make some exclusive to this forum. I for one really have only liked maybe a few of the ones that have been posted so far, I think that better ones can be made if people really wanted them.

And PLEASE no meme referencing smilies. They go out of fashion real quick and get annoying fast as well.