Adoxy

Cirque Du Freak

Haven't seen the movie or read the graphic novels.

I HAVE read the entire series, some of the books many times. I love Shan's take on vampires and their way of life - although the series got rather strange toward the end I took it as it came and can say without a doubt I would read the series again, and probably cry in all the same parts. Especially knowing now what I didn't know at the beginning.

Jeez, I'm reviving an old af thread...

Anyways, I cried while reading and reflecting on the ending. I even wrote a letter to Darren Shan about bringing the main character back into existence. Then again I was like 14 at the time. tongue.gif

I've heard a lot of good things about the books, except I haven't gotten around to giving them a read yet because I'm reading the Dragon Age series.

YES!!! I LOVE Darren Shan! These are my favorite books by him. I read them about 6 years ago when I was 14/15 and I fell in love. I should read them again!

Also, many of my dragons have names mentioned in the books. I use Arra and Vancha a lot... xd.png

Edited by Phioxse

i cant believe you guys didnt start a topic on this already.

cirque du freak

the vampires assistant

tunnels of blood

vampire mountain

trials of death

vampire prince

hunters of the dusk

allies of the night

killers of the dawn

the lake of souls

lord of the shadows

and sons of destiny

so if youve read any of these state what you thought or your criticism i dont care which

I haven't really read any of them, although I do have a manga edition of one of the stories that I've leafed through before,

Maybe I should get them all and read them, I've heard a lot of good things about the books.

Ahhh man those books are my jam. Read all the books, watched the film (it was utterly terrible), read the manga adaptation. So good. So, so good. One of the very few books to ever make me cry, and I read a lot of books. Larten Crepsley was my favourite character by far.

Cirque Du Freak is my favorite book series of all time. It sucked that the movie was awful.

Mr. Tiny is the best villain of all time. *cough* Mr. Destiny. The ending was perfect! I also read the Saga of Larten Crepsley which was good too, but Cirque Du Freak will always be at the top.

It will forever amuse me that when I type "Mr. Crepsley" it wants to change it to "Mr. Crisply" blink.gif

I remember those books.

As someone who is a self proclaimed chicken...I don't remember what made me read them, but I was glad I did.

I also agree that the movie was terrible.

The ending of the book series made me write a letter to Darren Shan. I have NEVER felt strongly enough about my distaste in an ending to warrant a letter, but Cirque Du Freak made an exception. I loved the books, but I refuse to read the last book all the way through. Honestly, the first time I read the ending, I felt physically sick. The thought of that's how Darren's adventures are concluded? made me feel terrible.

Also, don't get me started on the movie. I would love to see a remake, but with a bigger budget, 1 movie per book (If Harry Potter can do it...), and decent casting. I did like one actor, but the rest of the actors and actresses were subpar. Not to mention they casted a white woman to play a black role. rolleyes.gif I can't believe Darren Shan allowed that piece of censorkip.gif movie to be made. I expected WAAAYYY better from Universal, for crying out loud. rolleyes.gif

I loved the series, but stopped because my local library didn't have some of the later book, and couldn't find the motivation to find the remaining books elsewhere.

I did however read the Demonata series also by Darren Shan, which i also rather enjoyed. Anyone else here read that?

The movie didn't do it justice, the books were amazing. Loved the story, loved the characters, and the ending was so worth the 12 book journey. Makes me wanna read them again! 

On 11/5/2010 at 10:47 PM, Adoxy said:

Anybody read these books? At the moment I'm reading a book(from Cirque Du Freak) called "The Vampires Assistant(and other tales from Cirque Du freak)"

So it includes: A Living Nightmare, The Vampires Assistant, and Tunnel. He goes to a freak show(Cirque Du Freak) and he turns into a half-vampire(to save his friend, who was dying) and his friend hates him because he wanted to be a vampire, but doesn't realize he saved his life

Lots more to that, but don't wanna spoil it. So any of you guys read, or like the book? There's also a movie about it.

Yes! Read them all as they were released (I feel old). Great series, you'll enjoy it as it develops, it only gets better in my opinion (when you go back and read it the first few books are the weakest!)

I read Cirque Du Freak as graphic novels when I was around ten years old! It's one of those series that I remember every so often and think about rereading but never do. It also has a movie adaptation that was made in around 2012 I think, which I don't remember anything about except that I thought it was sort of weird.

I really need to get back to this series someday, just to see if it's as good as I remember it being!