Crisis

American Politics

2 hours ago, olympe said:

"So, that's the underlying conditions you do know about. What about those you don't?"

if it actually comes up in discussion, i will certainly mention it. i don't like talking to her about things like this because she's kinda into conspiracy health theories - especially that covid is "a little flu."

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

I just saw on German TV news that Trump obviously considers to postpone the US elections "until it is safe again".

Good night, Dear US!

yep,that's all over my social media.  that's not how it works.  Congress is the one who sets Election Day, and they get this power from the Constitution.  someone replied to my post and said he tweeted it as a signal to "certain" people in congress to start looking into it.  i said he tweeted it cause all the polls show him losing.

this is me again today

DisgustingUntimelyApe.gif.e996883e23028837da59889ee59a8eb9.gif

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

I just saw on German TV news that Trump obviously considers to postpone the US elections "until it is safe again".

Good night, Dear US!

Heard about it, too. Unbelievable!

1 hour ago, trystan said:

i said he tweeted it cause all the polls show him losing.

Obviously.

36 minutes ago, trystan said:

3ZkwbyB.jpg

Hilariously evil, yet so, so true!

12 minutes ago, olympe said:

Heard about it, too. Unbelievable!

so there's this:  Senate Republicans dismiss Trump proposal to delay election - which is the correct group of people to dismiss this, as the Senate majority are Republicons.

14 minutes ago, olympe said:

Hilariously evil, yet so, so true!

i've gotten some use out of it on facebook XD

3 hours ago, trystan said:

if it actually comes up in discussion, i will certainly mention it. i don't like talking to her about things like this because she's kinda into conspiracy health theories - especially that covid is "a little flu."

My opinion.

Now this I do not understand. Almost every country in the world, most leaders, most of the medical community worldwide and just most ordinary folks believe in this illness and how serious it is. Just how do the "conspiracy theorists" think we all got together just to snow Trump and his friends about it? This would be the biggest, farthest reaching conspiracy ever. 

4 minutes ago, RainDear said:

Now this I do not understand. Almost every country in the world, most leaders, most of the medical community worldwide and just most ordinary folks believe in this illness and how serious it is.

i don't understand it either. people who do think it's "just a flu" make me scratch my head and wonder what they've been reading or watching.

once i'm on my laptop, i'll c&p the post i put up on my facebook (facebook.com/trystan830) about the last conversation we had.  that particular post is set to friends only, even though i know she doesn't do facebook - or any technology.

4 hours ago, trystan said:

59 minutes ago, RainDear said:

My opinion.

I stumbled over some interesting data for those who say "it is just a little flu":

According to the EU statistics department Eurostat, there was an excess mortality of 160 000 persons in 24 European states between March and May. In the beginning of April (calendar week 14), there were 120 000 deaths instead of the normal average of 80 000. Even during the flu session of 2018, there were "only" 90 000 deaths in that time frame, thus Covid-19 is obviously a bit worse than the flu.

Source: https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/panorama/coronavirus-uebersterblichkeit-europa-100.html

And here the Eurostats source: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Weekly_death_statistics#Dramatic_rise_in_deaths_in_early_spring

Edited by Astreya

10 minutes ago, Astreya said:

I stumbled over some interesting data for those who say "it is just a little flu":

According to the EU statistics department Eurostat, there was an excess mortality of 160 000 persons in 24 European states between March and May. In the beginning of April (calendar week 14), there were 120 000 deaths instead of the normal average of 80 000. Even during the flu session of 2018, there were "only" 90 000 deaths in that time frame, thus Covid-19 is obviously a bit worse than the flu.

Source: https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/panorama/coronavirus-uebersterblichkeit-europa-100.html

And here the Eurostats source: https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php?title=Weekly_death_statistics#Dramatic_rise_in_deaths_in_early_spring

But the numbers are foooorged, it's all part of the conspiracy of big pharma (to make money) and the government (to control us and do away with our civil rights or whatever, nobody seems to know for sure)! Can't you see it? Then you must have already been brainwashed by fake news. *looks at you with pity in their eyes*

I can't even escape it at work. At a zoo, where you would THINK people would be a little more science-literate. My co-worker hates our governor for taking precautions and closing things down to be safe from COVID19. She won't wear a mask. My wife is a high-risk individual, and I am terrified of bringing it home to her. I am a literal PhD biologist, and I can't even be safe in my workplace from people deciding that science is politics because they don't like it. 😕

Edited by Ribombee

21 minutes ago, Ribombee said:

At a zoo, where you would THINK people would be a little more science-literate.

see, the thing there is most people just DON'T think.... *sigh*

giphy.gif

Or should that be Zuckerberg....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

15 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

yikes!  but hubby remembers seeing that maybe around the beginning of the year 😮 

try this one:

Trump Urges Voters To Use Absentee Ballots, Which Are, Uh, Mailed In

“It’s actually a great thing, absentee ballots. I’m going to be voting absentee,” the president said a day after attacking the integrity of mail-in voting.

:blink: XD

23 minutes ago, olympe said:

Well, it's not rigged if the votes go to him. 

yes, but we don't WANT to votes to go to him XD 

i certainly agree, Lagie.  i like that one much better than fuzzbucket's article XD 

Mr.Trump really fears bad media reports, it seems (I don't believe the Covid-19 argument from his people for one second)::

The media will be barred from the Republican national convention where Donald Trump is set to be renominated as presidential candidate later this month, a spokeswoman said on Saturday, citing coronavirus restrictions.

While Trump called off the public components of the convention in Florida last month, citing spiking cases of the virus across the country, 336 delegates are scheduled to gather in Charlotte, North Carolina, on 24 August to formally vote to make Trump the GOP standard-bearer once more.

Nominating conventions are traditionally meant to be media bonanzas, as political parties seek to leverage the attention the events draw to spread their message to as many voters as possible. If the GOP decision stands, it will mark the first party nominating convention in modern history to be closed to reporters.

Source:  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/02/media-to-be-banned-from-republican-convention-due-to-coronavirus-restrictions

Edited by Astreya

9 hours ago, Astreya said:

The media will be barred from the Republican national convention where Donald Trump is set to be renominated as presidential candidate later this month, a spokeswoman said on Saturday, citing coronavirus restrictions.

i saw somewhere on twitter - in reference to calling the media the 'fake news' as well as trump saying they should report the truth - someone (or someones) suggested that the media just not cover trump and his lies.  and something along the lines of "if the republicons nominate trump but the media isn't there to cover it, did it really happen?" ("if a tree falls in the forest....") 

and then there's this, from the Lincoln Project:

these guys have the best anti-trump ads i've seen, and i've seen quite a few

11 minutes ago, trystan said:

i saw somewhere on twitter - in reference to calling the media the 'fake news' as well as trump saying they should report the truth - someone (or someones) suggested that the media just not cover trump and his lies.  and something along the lines of "if the republicons nominate trump but the media isn't there to cover it, did it really happen?" ("if a tree falls in the forest....") 

and then there's this, from the Lincoln Project:

these guys have the best anti-trump ads i've seen, and i've seen quite a few

I've wondered that, too. I think he'd melt completely down if all the press everywhere just stopped talking about him.

And yes, those ads are awesome! That one is very well done! Prefect voiceover. XD

42 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I think he'd melt completely down if all the press everywhere just stopped talking about him.

the thing is, his lies to have to be written about somewhere.  IMO, what i read (WaPo, The Hill, AP (Associated Press, that is), Newsy, HuffPost, New York Times) doesn't really seem to have much of a slant to what they say.  they report what he says and what happens with not too much of a slant.  ok, HuffPost may have some editorialising with a liberal slant to it, but all the others feel objective in my mind.  trump just doesn't like the media when they "tell it like it is" - which is a main reason people voted for trump in the first place.  there's so many things that trump does and says that remind me of that kid that was never told the world doesn't revolve around him, and he's that kid that gets his way for bullying another kid into giving it to him. i've been done with him since day 1.

48 minutes ago, Lagie said:

And yes, those ads are awesome! That one is very well done! Prefect voiceover. XD

you can find all of their vids on youtube.  i follow them on twitter, too.

Omg not American politics but did you see that Beirut explosion? It was so massive they are claiming it was fireworks but there is no way that was fireworks that was IMO clearly a decent strength bomb.