Crisis

American Politics

1 hour ago, olympe said:

It's called black humor.

yeah, i get that. i also have a weird sense of humor and i'm easily amused, so there's that.

but i have to laugh and the circus happening in D.C. - otherwise i'll be hiding in a corner, crying uncontrollably.  so there's that.

8 hours ago, trystan said:

but i have to laugh and the circus happening in D.C. - otherwise i'll be hiding in a corner, crying uncontrollably.  so there's that.

Well, you'd have a lot of us keeping you company in that corner!

5 hours ago, JaneMcAsh said:

Even some of us non-Americans, too!

13 hours ago, JaneMcAsh said:

7 hours ago, Lagie said:

Even some of us non-Americans, too!

come on in, the corner's big enough XD 

That new Trump ad is horrible. The first one was designed to provoke fear in younger women. This new one is geared to provoke fear in elderly women. That they might be at home alone watching tv and someone might try to break in and no one will be there to answer the phone when they try to call the police. Trying to use fear to get women to vote for him is despicable.

The 'worser' one now circulating is from March where the orange dude tells people that if you go to the doctor and are given the worst diagnosis (i.e. you're going to die soon), hang in till Nov 8th so you can vote.

24 minutes ago, Lagie said:

The 'worser' one now circulating is from March where the orange dude tells people that if you go to the doctor and are given the worst diagnosis (i.e. you're going to die soon), hang in till Nov 8th so you can vote.

I might have caught a bit of that but I wasn't paying attention to the tv at the time it aired. Hopefully people see through his b.s.. My mom was going on recently about defunding the police, I tried to get her to understand what that is really about but I had to give up since it wasn't really working on the plus side she is now "over" the whole go outside in the sun cause the sun will kill it (COVID) if you have it.

Edited by AngelsSin

50 minutes ago, Lagie said:

yikes, haven't seen that one!

AngelsSin, try this - it's a comic, but it explains "defund the police" - which doesn't mean what it sounds like...

109492881_3574447665916134_6032152877930

You all have my sympathy...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/25/portland-martial-law-ron-wyden-jeff-merkley

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/24/portland-trump-order-federal-officers-veterans-protests

And I have no doubt the UK is heading that way too.

AND - Zuckerberg will deliver for him:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/17/mark-zuckerberg-donald-trump-facebook-co-dependency

Is there anyone left on forum that supports the Cheetoh ? (this is a serious question - because if so I would like to know why.)

My opinion just my opinion.

I have two things I am sharing today.

1- Like Hitler, Trump speaks to a specific group of people who see themselves as disenfranchised, see themselves as being "owed", see themselves as being somehow left out, left behind not receiving what is rightfully theirs. They are looking for the cause of  their unhappiness, for a target for their rage - and Trump has spent the years since the 2016 campaign offering them scapegoats.

2- Wanna go to the movies?

The BLM brings to mind the movie Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, specifically when Sidney Poitier as Dr John Prentice tells his father, "You see yourself as a black man. I just see myself as a man."  Anyone who can't see that all humans should be seen/see themselves as just persons and not labels just can't join the dialog at all

Every time I see Trump lately I am taken back to the documentary Frost/Nixon The Complete Interviews. Specifically when Nixon says, "But if the president does it, it isn't illegal." That seems to be Trump's mantra, too.

I just can't seem to get those two movies lines out of my head.

Edited by RainDear

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

all i know is that Joe Biden HAS to win in a huge landslide!  is it november 3rd yet?!?!

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Is there anyone left on forum that supports the Cheetoh ? (this is a serious question - because if so I would like to know why.)

this is a good question.  i'd like to know why as well.  but you can't seem to have a discussion with his followers because (from what i've seen on facebook) it feels like to me that supporters only know the talking points, not the details and other levels of what you're talking about.  kinda like the cartoon above i posted.

i'm trying to be a force for good on facebook, but my header graphic says "I don't post the things I do on my wall to change anyone's mind.  I post them so friends who think like I do will know they aren't alone." i've been calling out trump's idiocy, deflections, distractions, discrepancies, all the things he does that aren't how things are supposed to work, since inauguration day in 2017.  i'm pooped.  i'm exhausted.  yanno how fatigue is a symptom of covid? my fatigue is a symptom of trump. i want to be able to go back to not having to worry what's going to get ****'d up today from that idjit in the white house.

3 minutes ago, RainDear said:

1- Like Hitler, Trump speaks to a specific group of people who see themselves as disenfranchised, see themselves as being "owed", see themselves as being somehow left out, left behind not receiving what is rightfully theirs. They are looking for the cause of  their unhappiness, for a target for their rage - and Trump has spent the years since the 2016 campaign offering them scapegoats.

i shared a text graphic on my timeline today, that shows the similarities between trump and hitler.  it's public at https://www.facebook.com/trystan830/posts/3704772169537840 but in case you can't see it:

Spoiler

116112877_10158635263447855_496256805541

trump scares the **** out of me.

Edited by trystan

@trystan

I posted these similarities (in increasing number, as he started out with fewer at first) ever since Mr.Trump got into office. Of course people accused me of doing a Godwin thus. But being German and having sat through many lessons at school that showed us how Hitler could get into power and how society deteriorated from then on, I could see the similarities right from the very beginning.

You only need to read through his inauguration speech, too - this contained quite an amount of Hitleresque stuff already..

Edited by Astreya

8 minutes ago, Astreya said:

You only need to read through his inauguration speech, too - this contained quite an amount of Hitleresque stuff already..

oh yes, there was a lot in there too.

the funny (?) thing is, things that people were posting about trump back in 2017 that i was sharing, and what people were saying.... i'm starting to see some of them come back around, as if a light bulb is finally starting to come on.  it took them time, but they got there. i hope.

@trystan There's way more. Both Hitler and Trump...

• Did their best to cause strife within their people, and divide instead of unify them. Divide and conquer...
  • Used the most modern form of media (TV for Hitler, social media for Trump).
  • Were failures in the army or refused to join in the first place. (No ****.)
  • Seem to suffer from illusions of grandeur.
  • Change laws to suit them.
  • Started out as elected officials.
  • Consider themvelves patriots. (For eff's sake, Hitler wasn't even German!)

And, no, it's no coincidence that rightwing parties all over Europe (neo nazi parties, essentially) are pro-Trump.

I'm sure there is more, way, way more. But I'm tired and not willing to look things up. It's chilling, though.

11 minutes ago, olympe said:

And, no, it's no coincidence that rightwing parties all over Europe (neo nazi parties, essentially) are pro-Trump.

I'm sure there is more, way, way more. But I'm tired and not willing to look things up. It's chilling, though.

oh i completely agree it's chilling.  and that's why he has to go.  there's also now articles on what happens if trump doesn't want to leave i January, should Biden be elected.  if trump is re-elected, i'm not going to want to stay here, but i really can't go anywhere for many reasons, including the fact i don't have a passport, and that nowhere would let me in, thanks to the pandemic and trump's idiotic (covidiotic?) response to it. *sigh*

edit - can i add your similarities into my facebook post? i'll just say they're "from someone from Germany from another forum." thanks!

Edited by trystan

@trystan Go ahead, although I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to come up with these similarities.

I just realized another thing. Both Trump and Hitler are very conscious about the parts of Germany's/America's history that they feel are "great".

I say had Trump been the President in 1936 , his best buddies would have been Mussolini and Hitler. He would have aspired to be just like those two.

What do you mean WOULD have aspired... He clearly does.

6 hours ago, olympe said:

@trystan Go ahead, although I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to come up with these similarities.

thanks!  and you're probably right, but sometimes it's good with all the similarities in the same place

and y'all are definitely right, bigbite and fuzzbucket.

Did I first see this in this thread  ? It scared me when I saw it, so apologies if its repeated, but...

hitler-trump.png.790e6f78b729864cdbc488d5eaff3f4f.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The Gallup polls where they interviewed around 1000 persons in about 140 different countries and asked them about their leadership approval for the countries USA, China, Russia and Germany showed that the leadership approval of the US dropped significantly from 48% positive to 31% positive directly after the election of Mr.Trump:

gallup.png

Interestingly the US was even behind China in 2017 and 2018! So much for "Make America Great Again".

Source: https://news.gallup.com/poll/316133/leadership-remains-unpopular-worldwide.aspx

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Did I first see this in this thread  ? It scared me when I saw it, so apologies if its repeated, but...

yeah, i posted it back a page under a spoiler because the graphic was kinda large.

4 hours ago, Astreya said:

Interestingly the US was even behind China in 2017 and 2018! So much for "Make America Great Again".

doesn't surprise me, actually.  i really hope Biden can undo this entire ****-show that trump has created.

@Astreya If we look closely at the ends (left and right) of the leadership ratings, we can see that Bush junior had almost as awful stats towards the end as Trump has now. Two percent points isn't that much of a difference.

i get emails from fivethirtyeight.com, and they have a daily How Popular is trump? email i get.  today, trump is at 40.1% approval and 55.8% disapproval.  at the link, it also compares him to other presidents throughout their terms.... on the the same day, day #1285, GWBush/Bush Jr had an approval rating of 48.7%.  interestingly enough, Barack Obama was at 47.7% approval on his day 1285.