Crisis

American Politics

@AngelsSin

I am wary of every software that is not open source, I have to admit.

As a matter of fact, I've never used anything from Microsoft either as I suspected backdoors for US secret services there long before Edward Snowden actually confirmed this.

And that any Chinese software that has access to sensitive (personal) data will send it to Chinese authorities is pretty much a given as the Chinese laws actually enforce Chinese companies giving data to the government for "oversight" (in China of course - but do you really think they wouldn't demand the data that Chinese companies collect outside of China, too?).

The Cyber Security Law of the People's Republic of China, commonly referred to as the China Internet Security Law (...) was enacted by the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress on November 7, 2016 and was implemented on June 1, 2017.[2] It requires network operators to store select data within China and allows Chinese authorities to conduct spot-checks on a company's network operations.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China_Internet_Security_Law

And this is of interest, too: https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252485674/Chinese-law-may-require-companies-to-disclose-cyber-security-preparations-outside-China

Edited by Astreya

1 hour ago, AngelsSin said:

@olympe Not really sure I would completely trust a hacker group and everything has spyware nowadays doesn't meant they send it to the Chinese government. I will reserve judgement until there is actual proof of them giving info to China.

Maybe you should read up on that group before passing judgement. Here's a simple wikipedia link to get you started: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_(group)

@AngelsSin

I go with Joseph Heller there - “Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ^^

I must admit I trust this particular group more than any government. Go figure.

My opinion. Not attempting to speak for anyone else.

We have a president who seems to have no regard or compassion for anyone:

135,000 Americans dead? That's ok. We're doing fine.

Police killing civilians? That's ok.

People protesting police killings? They're terrorists. Shoot 'em.

Protests about the lockdown? They like me.

And on. And on.

His most recent campaign advertisement angers me. If you haven't seen it, it implies that "Defunding the Police" means that there will be no 911 operators no police protection, no emergency services. This is pure fabrication and fear mongering. "Defunding the Police" means that local governments will reassess their finances to see if moneys can be reallocated to support social services and programs meant to educate, inform and reduce crime. It doesn't mean fewer police, it means police may have fewer grenades, armored vehicles, or assault weapons to use against citizens. I feel that this type of lying, misinformation, and fear mongering should be actionable. Freedom of speech is not usually used to defend outright lying.

31 minutes ago, RainDear said:

You speak for me too, actually.

35 minutes ago, RainDear said:

my opinion as well.

i've seen that "Defunding the Police" commercial.  it's another thing that trump just doesn't understand what it means.

36 minutes ago, RainDear said:

I feel that this type of lying, misinformation, and fear mongering should be actionable. Freedom of speech is not usually used to defend outright lying.

completely agree here too.

can we relocate trump AND Pence out of the government before election day?

31 minutes ago, trystan said:

i've seen that "Defunding the Police" commercial.  it's another thing that trump just doesn't understand what it means.

My opinion: I only wish I could believe he doesn't understand. I think he's just choosing to play on the fears of those who truly don't understand. That is so much more HIS WAY. Lie, misinform, pretend not to understand when it suits, change the subject when you don't know what's going on. If none of that works, yell louder than anyone else in the room.

26 minutes ago, RainDear said:

My opinion: I only wish I could believe he doesn't understand. I think he's just choosing to play on the fears of those who truly don't understand. That is so much more HIS WAY. Lie, misinform, pretend not to understand when it suits, change the subject when you don't know what's going on. If none of that works, yell louder than anyone else in the room.

You have summed him up quite well in that last sentence. :(

He is not as stupid as he pretends to be and it is  to our peril to believe that he is.

He seems to be so out of step with most people right now, but he is crafty enough to play on peoples' fears. Although violent protests are the exception rather than the rule, they so often lead in the news, which plays right into his hand.

45 minutes ago, RainDear said:

That sound just about right. And if absolutely nothing works, blame someone else for it. I just thought of the narcissist's prayer - and wanted to show some examples on how Trump actually goes by it. However, someone else must have had the idea before me, because I found this:

MqumqmF.jpg

Seriously, though. Let's take the pandemic as an example.

Covid:

• That didn't happen: "Fake news." and "A hoax by the Democrats."
  • And if it did, it wasn't that bad: "not as bad as the seasonal flu", "99% totally harmless"
  • And if it was, that's not a big deal: "it'll go away on its own", "lowest mortality rate in the world", "US in far better shape than any other country" combined with the what-about-ism "what about the economy?"
  • And if it is, that's not my fault: "We're doing a great job, an amazing job!" (royal we?), "It's the fault of the Chinese (Kung Flu), the WHO, the Democrats, the Europeans..."
  • And if it was, I didn't mean it: "If the WHO had warned us sooner..."

I'm just waiting for Trump to eventually declare that people deserved the pandemic for not following FDA recommendations (wearing masks, social distancing...). He'll probably pull that one out of his hat when people will put even more pressure on him.

1 hour ago, RainDear said:

it's hard to tell when it's something he doesn't understand, something he needs to speak out loud to try to figure it out, or something he knows all too well but plays it up, as you've suggested in your comment.

the one thing i know is that he doesn't joke.  he's said he doesn't joke.  and it's frustrating when he says things that the WH spokespeople try to spin by saying it was a joke, and then the next day he says it's not a joke.  it's not a joke. *sigh*

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

He seems to be so out of step with most people right now, but he is crafty enough to play on peoples' fears.

upthread, i mentioned that i heard a piece of an interview on NPR with a man who wrote a book on Joseph McCarthy.... seems like McCarthy and trump are cut from the same cloth.

31 minutes ago, olympe said:

I'm just waiting for Trump to eventually declare that people deserved the pandemic for not following FDA recommendations (wearing masks, social distancing...). He'll probably pull that one out of his hat when people will put even more pressure on him.

*sigh*

is trump out of office yet?

14 hours ago, RainDear said:

13 hours ago, purplehaze said:

You have summed him up quite well in that last sentence. :(

He is not as stupid as he pretends to be and it is  to our peril to believe that he is.

He seems to be so out of step with most people right now, but he is crafty enough to play on peoples' fears. Although violent protests are the exception rather than the rule, they so often lead in the news, which plays right into his hand.

This sums everything up. Horribly.

I just read that Trump tweeted this:

In Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden and many other countries, SCHOOLS ARE OPEN WITH NO PROBLEMS. The Dems think it would be bad for them politically if U.S. schools open before the November Election, but is important for the children & families. May cut off funding if not open!

Well, let me tell you about the situation in Germany. I'm German, I live in Germany, my daughter attends school (outside of the current summer break) - so, yes, I know. And for the dates I don't remember, I'll use wikipedia for reference.

• Our schools were closed, so were kindergardens and all other places where children were cared for professionally. The first 14 (of 16) states in Germany closed their schools on March 13, the other two followed soon after. However, for children of parents in system relevant jobs, there was an emergency daycare program - usual daycare, but only for a very small number of kids in each and every kindergarten/daycare center/whatever. Just to give you an idea of how many people used it - there was usually one supervising adult with 1-4 children in each place. (And I'm pretty sure that there were siblings among those children, too...). All other kinds of school (adult education, music schools, universities/colleges...) were closed around that time, too.
  • In order to allow children who couldn't keep up with e-learning to keep on with their education, a voluntary re-take of the last grade they were in has been suggested and, I think, implemented.
  • Around end of April/beginning of May, the upper grades were going back to school. In primary schools, that was 4th grade (because that's what determines which school children can attend later on. Explanation in spoiler. 
    Spoiler

We have a rather diverse system with - by now - 5 different kinds of regular schools, not including schols for children with special needs. One for basic education (Hauptschule), one for slightly better education (Realschule, allows for some "better" jobs), one for future university students (Gymnasium), one that combines all three (Gesamtschule) and one that combines the first two (there are different names for this kind of school - one of them being Mittelschule). As you can easily see, the kind of school you get to attend from grade 5 on has a bit of an impact on your options later in life, although it is possible to switch schools "upwards" with good enough marks or "downwards" if a student's marks are too bad. Oh, and in many states, Gesamtschulen take one year longer until the final graduation than a Gymnasium.

Then there's the 10th graders who work on the regular graduation (Hauptschulabschluss, Realschulabschluss), 12th graders in a Gymnasium (not a sports complex, but a school!) or 13th graders in a Gesamtschule who graduate with the ability to attend university.

• However, our schools needed to provide a concept of how they intend to avoid spreading Covid. Masks are mandatory, and most classes are split in half (after all, there weren't that many students). Washing hands, things about school restrooms, cafeterias (usually closed), breaks being taken in turns - all of that and probably some more.

• For the last two weeks (or so) before summer break, schools opened again. Primary schools went back to business as usual (but with those measures mentioned above, with the exception of splitting classes). Secondary schools, on the other hand, only had a very low number of lessons where students had to be present - and those were usually at half capacity.

TL;DR To debunk Trump's claim about German schools being open with no problem - we did take a lot of measures to keep everyone as safe as possible. Also, we did have one situation in my hometown where one school had a couple of classes sent into quarantine because a couple of kids were tested positive for Covid. (As far as I know, these kids were siblings/cousins, and didn't spread it in their school.)

ETA:  Just to add to the above, here are our nationwide covid cases for comparison. (Note: We have pretty much 25% of the population in the US.)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/germany/

Another big difference between the US and Germany.

Edited by olympe

I wish I could find it - but one primary (age up to 11) school here (UK) is operating out of huge marquees, usually used for the local agricultural show that won't happen this year. My grandson's secondary school the children are in in alternate weeks - half the class at a time.

But the difference here, of course, is that no-one is massing to demand their right not to wear a communist inspired (WTF ??) mask... "We don't live in a communist country." Well, no, but you still have some rules that need universal attention. Like driving on the right and stuff.)

Trump wants the schools open, but he also thinks the CDC guidelines for keeping kids safe are too tough and should be rewritten to make it less difficult and expensive for the schools (and less safe for the kids, teachers, etc.!) This is the same CDC that tried to write guidelines for businesses to reopen safely, which Trump shot down and we all see how that went.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But the difference here, of course, is that no-one is massing to demand their right not to wear a communist inspired (WTF ??) mask... "We don't live in a communist country." Well, no, but you still have some rules that need universal attention. Like driving on the right and stuff.)

My opinion.

Really? I have 2 answers to that:

1.I thought the main reason not to wear a mask is that YOUR right not to wear one Trumps MY right to survive this thing.

2. Of course the Communists are wearing masks. They know that they work.

16 hours ago, RainDear said:

My opinion.

Really? I have 2 answers to that:

1.I thought the main reason not to wear a mask is that YOUR right not to wear one Trumps MY right to survive this thing.

2. Of course the Communists are wearing masks. They know that they work.

Germany isn't communist by any stretch of the imagination, but we do have to wear masks in all kinds of shops/malls/doctor's offices and so on. Not outside, though.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:14 AM, purplehaze said:

Trump wants the schools open, but he also thinks the CDC guidelines for keeping kids safe are too tough and should be rewritten to make it less difficult and expensive for the schools (and less safe for the kids, teachers, etc.!) This is the same CDC that tried to write guidelines for businesses to reopen safely, which Trump shot down and we all see how that went.

Paul Manafort spends his prison sentence at home because the virus is so dangerous. Yet the virus is safe enough for our children to go to school?

This from Trump. Open the schools.

I really like how Mr.Law-and-Order and Drain-the-Swamp Trump pardons his criminal buddy Mr.Stone while he accuses BLM protesters as being criminal and wants to send them to prison. And his cult followers worship him for his hypocrisy.

(This was blackest sarcasm, just to make it clear.)

3 hours ago, olympe said:

Germany isn't communist by any stretch of the imagination, but we do have to wear masks in all kinds of shops/malls/doctor's offices and so on. Not outside, though.

I was definitely not referring to Germany as Communist. Sorry if it came off that way.

56 minutes ago, RainDear said:

I was definitely not referring to Germany as Communist. Sorry if it came off that way.

I know that *you* didn't mean it like that, but that's what comes across from the covidiot statement you quoted.

Rep. John Lewis died yesterday. We lost a great man, an icon, and a national treasure. He will be missed!

We also lost C.T. Vivian, they both died on the same day. Two losses for the civil rights movement.

Edited by AngelsSin

Indeed, and a big loss for humanity. May they both rest in peace.

Portland mayor demands Trump remove federal agents from city

Militarized federal agents deployed by Donald Trump to Portland, Oregon, fired tear gas at protesters again late on Friday night, even as the city’s mayor demanded the agents be removed and the state’s attorney general vowed to seek a restraining order against them.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/18/portland-federal-agents-protests-trump-mayor

According to German TV broadcaster Welt, Mr.Trump refuses to heed the demand of Portland's mayor to withdraw his paramilitary forces, claiming he has to uphold law and order.

This reminds me more and more of the time before Hitler took over Germany. Hitler also had a paramilitary group (the Sturmabteilung) who did his bidding and who were deployed to bully Hitler's opponents in the 1920es and 1930es.

Add to this that Mr.Trump refuses to commit to accepting election result as Biden enjoys poll lead, you should be really wary.

Edited by Astreya