Crisis

American Politics

Looks like *not* getting infected with SARS-CoV-2 puts you at risk of losing an incredibly huge part of your brain - the part dealing with higher brain functions like logical thinking. There's no other explanation, really. Well, maybe narcissism.

Like my mom today. We went grocery shopping, obviously wearing our face masks (since they're required). She was wearing hers with big, gaping openings around her nose since she didn't bother to mold the wire to her nose and cheeks. Why? "The mask only protects others, and I know fully well I don't have it [covid]. A couple of hours later she had watched a report about police having to stop various parties. My mom's reaction? "These people are so irresponsible, getting so close together without wearing a mask." - "Well, maybe they, too, know fully well they don't have it." I'm not sure if she got that particular reference. XD Some people... What was that saying about pot and kettle again?

Edited by olympe

Awwww... Little snowflakes!

Donald Trump’s campaign has blamed “radical protesters’ for frightening away the president’s supporters from tonight’s rally in Tulsa. Sure, that and the prospect of sharing a confined space with thousands of others in the middle of a pandemic. And maybe the armed guys “protecting” the rally, despite the presence of police and national guard.

(...)

“Sadly, protesters interfered with supporters, even blocking access to metal detectors, which prevented people from entering the rally. Radical protesters coupled with relentless onslaught from the media, attempted to frighten off the President’s supporters. We are proud of the thousands who stuck it out.,” said campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh.

[Source]

Edited by Astreya

So, Trump only had about 6200 attendees at his Tulsa rally. CNN reported that one of the entrances to Trump's rally got blocked for maybe 15 minutes, but that it didn't affect attendance at all.

He spewed his usual dribble during his speech, referring to Covid as "Kung-flu" and admitting to asking his team to slow down testing here in the US to make the numbers look better. (Naturally, an official later claimed that Trump was joking about slowing down the testing.) And Tom Petty's family issued a cease-and-desist order blocking Trump from using Petty's song "I Won't Back Down" in his campaign. Here's the article in Barron's.

There are also reports that thousands of TikTok users and others reserved spots for the rally with the intention of not showing up and that's why the place was so empty. Or so the NY Times reports. Great prank if it's true, that's for sure.

ROFL XD  Mr.Trump seems to be even worse than I ever thought - and I already considered him extremely deficient in both the intelligence and empathy department. I'm pretty sure this report is correct as it was confirmed by German sources, and our government officials are not really known to be compulsive liars.

I guess Mr.Trump feels extremely inadequate when talking to or meeting Bundeskanzlerin Dr.Angela Merkel who is not only the currently most respected European politician who was at the helm of Germany for 15 years, but who also has a proper doctorate (not just "honoris causa") in quantum chemistry and even worked as research scientist until 1989. *)

In hundreds of highly classified phone calls with foreign heads of state, President Donald Trump was so consistently unprepared for discussion of serious issues, so often outplayed in his conversations with powerful leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Erdogan, and so abusive to leaders of America's principal allies, that the calls helped convince some senior US officials -- including his former secretaries of state and defense, two national security advisers and his longest-serving chief of staff -- that the President himself posed a danger to the national security of the United States, according to White House and intelligence officials intimately familiar with the contents of the conversations.

The calls caused former top Trump deputies -- including national security advisers H.R. McMaster and John Bolton, Defense Secretary James Mattis, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, and White House chief of staff John Kelly, as well as intelligence officials -- to conclude that the President was often "delusional," as two sources put it, in his dealings with foreign leaders. The sources said there was little evidence that the President became more skillful or competent in his telephone conversations with most heads of state over time. Rather, he continued to believe that he could either charm, jawbone or bully almost any foreign leader into capitulating to his will, and often pursued goals more attuned to his own agenda than what many of his senior advisers considered the national interest.
(...)
By far the greatest number of Trump's telephone discussions with an individual head of state were with Erdogan, who sometimes phoned the White House at least twice a week and was put through directly to the President on standing orders from Trump, according to the sources. Meanwhile, the President regularly bullied and demeaned the leaders of America's principal allies, especially two women: telling Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom she was weak and lacked courage; and telling German Chancellor Angela Merkel that she was "stupid."

Trump incessantly boasted to his fellow heads of state, including Saudi Arabia's autocratic royal heir Mohammed bin Salman and North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un, about his own wealth, genius, "great" accomplishments as President, and the "idiocy" of his Oval Office predecessors, according to the sources.
(...)
But his most vicious attacks, said the sources, were aimed at women heads of state. In conversations with both May and Merkel, the President demeaned and denigrated them in diatribes described as "near-sadistic" by one of the sources and confirmed by others. "Some of the things he said to Angela Merkel are just unbelievable: he called her 'stupid,' and accused her of being in the pocket of the Russians... He's toughest [in the phone calls] with those he looks at as weaklings and weakest with the ones he ought to be tough with."
(...)
The calls "are so unusual," confirmed a German official, that special measures were taken in Berlin to ensure that their contents remained secret. The official described Trump's behavior with Merkel in the calls as "very aggressive" and said that the circle of German officials involved in monitoring Merkel's calls with Trump has shrunk: "It's just a small circle of people who are involved and the reason, the main reason, is that they are indeed problematic."
(....)
Merkel remained calm and outwardly unruffled in the face of Trump's attacks —"like water off a duck's back," in the words of one source -- and she regularly countered his bluster with recitations of fact. The German official quoted above said that during Merkel's visit to the White House two years ago, Trump displayed "very questionable behavior" that "was quite aggressive ... [T]he Chancellor indeed stayed calm, and that's what she does on the phone."

Source: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/trump-phone-calls-national-security-concerns/index.html

*) Actually now this quote by Mr.Trump makes even more sense: 

"You know, my uncle was a great person. He was at MIT. He taught at MIT for, I think, like a record number of years. He was a great super genius. Dr. John Trump. I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it. Every one of these doctors said, 'How do you know so much about this? ' Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president." [Source]

He blusters that he has scientific understanding as he doesn't want to look bad against Dr.Angela Merkel who just is competent and understands things (and can even explain them):

"If we get to the point where everybody infects 1.1 people, then by October our healthcare system will reach capacity with the assumed number of intensive care beds. If we get to 1.2 people, so everyone is infecting 20 percent more. Out of 5 people, one infects two and the rest one, then we will reach the limit of our healthcare system in July. And if it's up to 1.3 people, then in June we will reach the limits of our healthcare system. So you can see how little room we have to work with," explained the German chancellor.

Edited by Astreya

It's so sad to see the States reduced to this. By ONE MAN.

@Fuzzbucket Well, if he didn't have the backing of his party and countless people still cheering him on, he wouldn't be able to pull it off.

it's not so much the party backing him - if they don't back him, they don't get re-elected, and there goes their cushy job.  i think a lot of the republicons in congress are scared of him, actually.

And a lot of them are starting to speak out against him. But yes - the general public are now so ill-educated about politics and a lot of other things that they really believe a lot of his rubbish and vote for it. Sadder still.

49 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

the general public are now so ill-educated about politics and a lot of other things that they really believe a lot of his rubbish and vote for it. Sadder still.

completely agree with you.  and it is quite sad :(

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

telling Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom she was weak and lacked courage; and telling German Chancellor Angela Merkel that she was "stupid."

Projecting much?

7 hours ago, Astreya said:

He blusters

Fixed that for you.

2 hours ago, trystan said:

it's not so much the party backing him - if they don't back him, they don't get re-elected, and there goes their cushy job.  i think a lot of the republicons in congress are scared of him, actually.

Republicans had a chance to stop him in 2016 before he got the nomination and chose to sit on their hands because they, like the rest of the country, didn't take his presidency seriously. Now they're tied to him and have to support him, no matter what treason he commits. Republicans are vulnerable in the Senate this year and could lose a lot of seats, just like 2018 and the House, so they'll be working extra-hard to keep their jobs. Harry Reid's aide once famously said that senators had two priorities: getting re-elected and representing their constituents, in that order.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

the general public are now so ill-educated about politics and a lot of other things that they really believe a lot of his rubbish and vote for it. Sadder still.

I hope the rest of the world realizes the very real possibility of Trump being elected for a second term. Re-election is key to him avoiding the litany of lawsuits waiting for him as soon as he vacates 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. He's already asked foreign powers to help him get re-elected, and if he is he'll have no restraints, no checks on his power. He'll be a king without the title given how Congress is practically worthless and the judiciary is filled with McConnell-appointed judges. You think he's bad now? Wait until he gets another four years. The future of the country is at stake here.    

19 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Republicans are vulnerable in the Senate this year and could lose a lot of seats, just like 2018 and the House, so they'll be working extra-hard to keep their jobs.

i really hope we have a Democrat everything - House, Senate, Presidency.

this relates - since the end of May, with all the BLM protest, and us white people standing in the gap and calling out racial injustices, i've been seeing in places on social media (instagram) where Black voices are saying (basically) - if you think y'all are overwhelmed and need to take some time for self-care after making yourself heard and standing in the gap after only a month, imagine it as your whole life.  i'm overwhelmed, fatigued, and exhausted of all of trump's lies, hatred, stupidity, ignorance, whatever other @#$%^&(*(%^$ he spews, and i've been at it since Inauguration Day 2017. (i know, it's not my entire life, but it's been long enough.) 

if he gets another 4 years, part of me wants to move to Canada, and the other part of me wants to figure out how to get him taken out.

Edited by trystan
to add stuff

23 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I hope the rest of the world realizes the very real possibility of Trump being elected for a second term. Re-election is key to him avoiding the litany of lawsuits waiting for him as soon as he vacates 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. He's already asked foreign powers to help him get re-elected, and if he is he'll have no restraints, no checks on his power. He'll be a king without the title given how Congress is practically worthless and the judiciary is filled with McConnell-appointed judges. You think he's bad now? Wait until he gets another four years. The future of the country is at stake here.    

I have been saying for months and months that I have no doubt at all that he will be re-"elected". Good luck to you all. Your only hope is that two doctors I know both say that he looks REALLY ill..... I wouldn't wish illness on anyone, but there can be exceptions....

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It's so sad to see the States reduced to this. By ONE MAN.

The interesting part it that both Mr.Trump and his cult followers seem to think that they "make America great" when in  fact they turn it into a pitiful laughing stock world-wide.

ok, question: i follow this topic, and get replies emailed to me.  when i clicked on the email link that says "Go to this Post" - but the reply isn't here... has that post been hidden or deleted?

'cause it was a really good point (a little lot sarcastic too.)

thanks, PDC.  although it did make me doubt my sanity for a moment there. XD

19 hours ago, trystan said:

ok, question: i follow this topic, and get replies emailed to me.  when i clicked on the email link that says "Go to this Post" - but the reply isn't here... has that post been hidden or deleted?

'cause it was a really good point (a little lot sarcastic too.)

Hidden. Because I realized I was in the wrong thread somehow. It seemed more fitting for the covid discussion thread...

(At least I think you're referring to my post. It sure was very sarcastic.)

American politics are a complete mess under Trump and his horrid administration.

If you are an American, like me, and can vote for this person in November, you are a heartless follower robot.

Just my opinion. Answering no questions.

2 minutes ago, Bigbite said:

If you are an American, like me, and can vote for this person in November, you are a heartless follower robot.

I consider the fanatical followers of Mr.Trump as members of a death cult. I really hope for the good people in the US that they will manage to cast their vote and get it counted properly so that you will get some sanity back at the helm of your country in November.

6 minutes ago, Astreya said:

I consider the fanatical followers of Mr.Trump as members of a death cult. I really hope for the good people in the US that they will manage to cast their vote and get it counted properly so that you will get some sanity back at the helm of your country in November.

Thank you. I too believe Trump's followers are a fanatical cult, willing to follow any tyrant who could lead them anywhere, including their death.

I believe in the power of the vote and prayer.

9 hours ago, olympe said:

Hidden. Because I realized I was in the wrong thread somehow. It seemed more fitting for the covid discussion thread...

(At least I think you're referring to my post. It sure was very sarcastic.)

yep, it was yours, and really, it could have gone here or there.

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

I consider the fanatical followers of Mr.Trump as members of a death cult.

7 hours ago, Bigbite said:

I too believe Trump's followers are a fanatical cult, willing to follow any tyrant who could lead them anywhere, including their death.

after everything trump has done, i don't understand how anyone can still support him.  

Joe Biden will have a LOT to undo. (yes, i'm an optimist here)

Edited by trystan
clarification

Yesterday I saw an add on hulu where an old guy in a suit talked about how the new vrius (there's a second one found in pigs from china) is not that big of a deal and the OTHER PARTY are just alarmists, and that we need to open up america. He doesn't even have the excuse of this being 10 years down the line when the wounds are forgotten. We aren't even through the first pandemic and he's already saying the same lines that where proven wrong the first time this year.

NOTHING was learned from any of this disaster of a year. N O T H I N G.

Well, the G4 EA H1N1 virus seems to have infected pigs for about 9 years now, and on the plus side it seems to be an influenza virus, so the pandemic plans that were not fully fitting for SARS-CoV-2 should work for this at least. (Sorry for the sarcasm...)

On a more serious note, at the moment it seems that there really was no human-to-human transmission yet. But from the Chinese research, it seems that despite its similarities with the 2009 swine flu and the 1918 H1N! strain, pre-existing population immunity does not provide protection against G4 viruses. On the other hand it probably should be easier to get a vaccine against it up and running as there is quite some experience in whipping up fresh influenza vaccines every year.

Source: https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/06/23/1921186117

41 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

NOTHING was learned from any of this disaster of a year. N O T H I N G.

i think as long as we have science deniers in the government, this will continue to happen.

is it election day yet?