Crisis

American Politics

The #BoycottHamilton farce is ridiculous.

The president-elect should be glad that people are open about their concern and investment in the future of the country. Not calling for them to apologize for it.

Even if he doesn't agree with them on how the country should progress, as a man who is supposed to represent its people he should know that he can't do that unless he hears the people.

The #BoycottHamilton farce is ridiculous.

The president-elect should be glad that people are open about their concern and investment in the future of the country. Not calling for them to apologize for it.

Even if he doesn't agree with them on how the country should progress, as a man who is supposed to represent its people he should know that he can't do that unless he hears the people.

Aye.

May I also make an observation, tho?

That being this. I can understand where some of these protesters are coming from.

Why? because eight years ago I was where they are now.

I was a young college student voting in my first ever presidential election. I attended a conservative college, and heard all the time growing up how important it was for me to vote when the time came. So...of course,I went and I voted. Guess what tho.The guy I voted for lost that election. I was disappointed, frustrated, and... yes... a little scared about the direction our country would take under the new president. It is rough, after being fired up over voting for the first time, to lose it like that.

On that regard I can sympathize with what many of the protesters are feeling.

That being said tho. I was NOT encouraged (AND I fancy wouldn't have been allowed),to indulge in ANY sort of protest that would have damaged property or risked harm to others. I didn't get the day off of class to 'cope'.

I was EVEN urged to be very careful how I worded disagreement with the policies of the new president ( Barack Obama, that election...) lest it be construed as racist. The same wise individual who pointed this point out to me ALSO added that I needed to recognize that other people' votes mattered,too....AND that many of them had reasons that were important to them for casting their votes as they had done. In the eyes of many people, having an African American president for the first time ever was a big deal, that it showed how far we have come as a nation even if we still have room to improve (And , really, it does)... whether I agreed with his politics or not.

Barack Obama was president of the United States.... whether I liked it or not.

The lesson for me was this... sometimes you vote and the one you vote for wins, and SOMETIMES you vote for the loser. That is how our system works. And guess what... wink.gif We had eight years of Obama as president and the world did not come to an end. I may not like everything he did or stands for ....and I don't need to... but I needed to accept the fact that the people had largely disagreed with me.

May I submit that this may be a learning opportunity for those disappointed?

Edited by Silverswift

May I submit that this may be a learning opportunity for those disappointed?

The problem is that it's not just disappointment people are feeling, it's legitimate fear.

Now, I'm not as worried about Trump as I am about Pence, because Trump seems to be rolling back some of his plans that he spouted off during the campaign, and that makes me at least a little bit hopeful.

But Pence is terrifying, especially for LGBT+ folks. Pence is a man who is a-okay with conversion therapy and has been openly against LGBT+ equality.

I mean...this was a campaign that garnered the support of the KKK. ): That's worrisome at best, and I'm worried that Trump's election has given them and other hate groups validation and spurred them into action.

I'm not LGBT+ or anything. But as a female I do have reason to worry about the pro-sexual-assault "grab them by the censorkip.gif*" crap, because people dismissed it as "locker room talk" and "boys will be boys." We have spent decades trying to tell sexual assault victims they need to come forward and this has been a constant hurdle. It's not just "locker room talk" or "being a boy." It's dangerous and harmful.

So, yes, it can be a learning opportunity. My mom didn't care for Obama when he was elected, either. I don't think most of the country are closet racists or neonazis. But a great many of us do have reason to worry and fear.

Now, I quite like that the Hamilton cast directly addressed Pence. I don't like that Trump is whining about it and demanding an apology for "harassment" when it was not so. This is part of democracy, people being able to express their views and concerns, and that's exactly what they did.

The problem is that it's not just disappointment people are feeling, it's legitimate fear.

Now, I'm not as worried about Trump as I am about Pence, because Trump seems to be rolling back some of his plans that he spouted off during the campaign, and that makes me at least a little bit hopeful.

But Pence is terrifying, especially for LGBT+ folks. Pence is a man who is a-okay with conversion therapy and has been openly against LGBT+ equality.

I mean...this was a campaign that garnered the support of the KKK. ): That's worrisome at best, and I'm worried that Trump's election has given them and other hate groups validation and spurred them into action.

I'm not LGBT+ or anything. But as a female I do have reason to worry about the pro-sexual-assault "grab them by the censorkip.gif*" crap, because people dismissed it as "locker room talk" and "boys will be boys." We have spent decades trying to tell sexual assault victims they need to come forward and this has been a constant hurdle. It's not just "locker room talk" or "being a boy." It's dangerous and harmful.

So, yes, it can be a learning opportunity. My mom didn't care for Obama when he was elected, either. I don't think most of the country are closet racists or neonazis. But a great many of us do have reason to worry and fear.

Now, I quite like that the Hamilton cast directly addressed Pence. I don't like that Trump is whining about it and demanding an apology for "harassment" when it was not so. This is part of democracy, people being able to express their views and concerns, and that's exactly what they did.

I am not belittling the fear that some folks may legitimately feel.

I was merely pointing out that the human brain is very good at imagining disasters.... especially when influenced by fear. I personally did NOT vote for Trump because I dislike some of the things he has said.

We can certainly hope that the worst of people's fears do NOT come to pass.

As far as the Hamilton thing... i didn't hear about that one.

Peacefully calling someone out is fine, IMO.

I think we can agree that some people on BOTH sides of the aisle have gotten out of hand on this election.

I think the rioting and such that you hear about crosses the line, there from peaceful protest into something else entirely.

Edited by Silverswift

If it helps, Trump has denounced the KKK, multiple times.

This is one argument against Trump's presidency that I don't understand. The Clinton Foundation accepted millions of dollars in donations from Saudi Arabia, one of the worst human rights offenders in the world. A country that actively kills LGBT people and oppresses women. As far as I know, Hillary Clinton hasn't disavowed Saudi Arabia or returned the money. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Nonetheless, being supported by bigots does not a bigot make. It's better to argue against a candidate based on their own actions and beliefs, not their supporters' actions or beliefs. That goes for everyone - there's plenty of material on both sides.

This, this is exactly why I believe people who voted for Trump was completely fooled by him. He went back on pretty much EVERYTHING he said. I think his meeting with Obama really showed him he got into something he really cannot begin to understand or handle himself.

They kept saying Hillary was a liar, well who's lying now?

I live in England, and I'm scared of Trump.

I hear he's friends with Putin, Russia's leader, and I hear he's making China very angry.

Do you know what I'm scared of? World War Three.

A few weeks ago it seemed like a stupid impossibility. Now it seems real, and I am very much scared.

THAT is the influence Trump has. Not to start wars, but to make other countries start the wars. Not just causing confusion and fear in his own country (and trying to make them shut up), but causing just as much fear in the rest of the world.

Call me irrational if you like, but I'm scared for the world. And I think everyone should be.

(Edit for typos)

Edited by Zeditha

Call me irrational if you like, but I'm scared for the world. And I think everyone should be.

(Edit for typos)

Totally irrational. He is the President of the United States.

He has already appointed

General "Mad Dog" Mattis as Secretary of Defense.

General Mattis advised the current Pres

to get out of Iraq and out of the Mideast.

That's exactly what President Trump is going to do.

There will be planeloads of US soldiers flying BACK

to the United States, back to their families.

He will be more of an isolationist President

than we have ever seen since WWII.

It's time for the United States

to look out for the United States.

If the rest of the world wants to kill each other

and blow themselves off the map

I'm sure Trump will be just fine with that,

without any US involvement.

Not irrational. My own father does not approve of him and is actually terrified of what his "Presidency" will hold. He even believes this was bought and paid for last summer. With his picks so far, the way he is acting, what he is doing and Russias hand in this, I can't argue my father on his points.

We had a chance to stop him and it failed. The day he was elected I was watching with a couple friends and was going to be going out with my parents a day or two after this. I was terrified of going out. Why? Because of the Trump Effect that started mere minutes after he had won. The following week was horrific seeing all that happening to people. It's not fun seeing a country that's meant to be "Great Again" turn into that. That is not the America I wish to live in. I don't want to see people getting made fun of, taunted or anything because they aren't exactly like people want. I am worried women's rights will be slowly taken away (as if they aren't already, will not get into it here). This isn't making it great again, this is sending us back to the 50s or worse. This is the FUTURE we should be working towards it yet we are falling behind and I expect it to fall behind even more.

In my opinion, there we were all losers in this election from the moment the candidates were finalized. This election was sad. The outcome was sad.

But I think the people that will suffer the most are the people who voted for Trump. They actually expect things from him, expect him to uphold his promises and grand ideas of "making America great again," and when he does not deliver they will be disillusioned. He's already stepping back from some of his promises, and he's not even the POTUS yet.

This nasty election has severely tainted 2016 for many Americans, myself included, and I won't be sad to see it go. On the bright side, 2017 is coming, along with the return of some great TV series, and SNL will have loads of material (and tweets) to use for the next 4 years.

In my opinion, there we were all losers in this election from the moment the candidates were finalized. This election was sad. The outcome was sad.

But I think the people that will suffer the most are the people who voted for Trump. They actually expect things from him, expect him to uphold his promises and grand ideas of "making America great again," and when he does not deliver they will be disillusioned. He's already stepping back from some of his promises, and he's not even the POTUS yet.

This nasty election has severely tainted 2016 for many Americans, myself included, and I won't be sad to see it go. On the bright side, 2017 is coming, along with the return of some great TV series, and SNL will have loads of material (and tweets) to use for the next 4 years.

So well said. I wonder who will be running this country, will it be Pence and the millionaire, billionaire cabinet? Sad to say the president- elect has absolutely no expertise in government.

I am not discouraged his election happened for a reason, the truth shall come to the light.

i find it funny how people are calling hillary a criminal, but with the charges trump is getting he's technically a criminal as well.

Have you followed Putin's answers about America during his press conference last Friday? Nothing insulting actually dry.gif

Some new, some old groups are forming up to help offset what we're going to lose in the next few years and fight the ongoing problem of corruption.

https://represent.us/#

This is the group that successfully got an anti-corruption bill passed in SC to stop corporate money flowing in as campaign donations. The lawmakers pulled an emergency session to strike it down. They need help pushing back.

http://www.314action.org/mission-1/

This is a group of scientists alarmed at the complete lack of science on most committees in the White House and the implications therein. Basically, while scientists in the past considered themselves above meddling with politics, politics had no trouble meddling with scientists. So it's time to get involved.

https://justicedemocrats.com/platform/

This is an attempt to push the Democratic party out of the Third Way platform adopted by the Clintons. And get rid of corporate backing in congress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way

Go to the pages. Learn about them. Look at joining them. Share the links. Consider donating time or money. Change is not effected by standing still. And remember what happened with the Occupy Wallstreet protests. Nothing. Because they had no plan. We need to do better than that this time.

I'm dredging this up specifically to talk about some policy changes that Trump has made/ intends to make recently. 

First, is the back out of the Iran deal. We were already concerned about nuclear warfare with North Korea due to building animosity, but with their deal with South Korea I was under the impression we wouldn't need to worry so much about that. And now suddenly it's like, oh wait, nevermind, here let's basically just give this other country the go-ahead to make nukes since we're suspicious of them now. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

Speaking of North Korea though, I'm seeing some random reports that there's tension again?? Where'd this come from?? WHY??

Also, I hate him for lifting the bans on hunting wolves and bears in Alaska. Didn't he also lift the ban on importing elephant tusks into the country? 

Edited by hazeh

2 hours ago, hazeh said:

I'm dredging this up specifically to talk about some policy changes that Trump has made/ intends to make recently. 

First, is the back out of the Iran deal. We were already concerned about nuclear warfare with North Korea due to building animosity, but with their deal with South Korea I was under the impression we wouldn't need to worry so much about that. And now suddenly it's like, oh wait, nevermind, here let's basically just give this other country the go-ahead to make nukes since we're suspicious of them now. It makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

Speaking of North Korea though, I'm seeing some random reports that there's tension again?? Where'd this come from?? WHY??

Also, I hate him for lifting the bans on hunting wolves and bears in Alaska. Didn't he also lift the ban on importing elephant tusks into the country? 

I don't really have much to say on Trump since the man just puzzles me. I mean why does he need a golf course all the way over in Scotland? Doesn't he have enough? Also, what's up with his foreign policy? It's absolutely bonkers. 

Anyway, I watched an interesting video on North Korea's foreign strategies and it adds some sense to the situation we're going through at the moment as it explains why things go from nought to a hundred in like a day. Maybe give it a watch? 

In my opinion, North Korea is abnormal country to make deal. Recently, they had cancelled another deal with South Korea. We know we had been fooled by them for several times. I think Trump is using a way to make deal that North Korea used before. According to recent news, tone of report of North Korea had been changed after Trump cancelled that deal and Trump said there 'may' will be deal as planned. I think he will make deal with abnormal way.