Crisis

American Politics

The fark threads have been humorous. If Texas secedes, that means they are illegals if they cross the border?

Absolutely it does.

Sometimes people just don't realise what they are considering doing till AFTER they are arrested for entering another country without a passport ! (this has already been raised in interesting ways in the UK over Scotland's independence referendum...)

Absolutely it does.

Sometimes people just don't realise what they are considering doing till AFTER they are arrested for entering another country without a passport ! (this has already been raised in interesting ways in the UK over Scotland's independence referendum...)

Scotland was never happy with being part of the UK. It got subjugated by England, after all! That isn't like Texas at all, because as far as I know Texas wasn't "subjugated" and forced to become part of the US.

Scotland was never happy with being part of the UK. It got subjugated by England, after all! That isn't like Texas at all, because as far as I know Texas wasn't "subjugated" and forced to become part of the US.

Scotland was never conquered and forced into the UK, fyi. James IV of Scotland married the daughter of Henry VII. When the last heir of Henry VII - Elizabeth I - died childless the crown passed to her cousin (first cousin twice removed) James VI of Scotland, who became James I of England. So a *Scottish* King legitimately inherited the English crown in 1603. In 1706 and 1707 The seperate English and Scottish Parliments passed Acts Uniting the two governments under Queen Anne.

So, yeah. Definately no subjugation going on there. Centuries of sporadic war had existed between the countries, but it was categorically *not* a hostile takeover that joined the two.

It should, perhaps, be pointed out that the commoners of *both* Scotland and England have never been entirely happy with the whole arrangement. But, then, that's governments for you.

/English history lesson.

Rather more on-topic there is historical precedence for one part of a State seceeding from the rest. Please note West Virginia - which seceeded from Virginia in order to remain in the Union when Virginia itself seceeded to join the Confederacy. So, if a State were to sucessfully seceed now, if there were enough people that supported remaining in the Union they could, theoretically, break the State in two in order to remain part of it.

It should, perhaps, be pointed out that the commoners of *both* Scotland and England have never been entirely happy with the whole arrangement. But, then, that's governments for you.

That's what I should've said...and besides, the Parliaments weren't really made up of *common* people, at least in the case of the English one. That was a big problem when it came to being fair.

Anyway. Yeah. Back on topic.

I can think of a lot of people who would want to secede from their marriages =p

I think El Paso released a statement that if Texas did, they were breaking off and staying with the US. So, I guess there would be a West Texas as there is a West Virginia.

On the bright side, maybe the new Texas wouldn't have the TSA.

I saw a play once where someone fenced off his home and announced that he had seceded from his country...

Naturally it ended up with cops and an arrest....

That kind of reminds me of the season 2 "Family Guy" episode "E. Peterbus Unum", where Peter Griffin established his own country Petoria in the middle of the USA. wink.gif

That kind of reminds me of the season 2 "Family Guy" episode "E. Peterbus Unum", where Peter Griffin established his own country Petoria in the middle of the USA. wink.gif

This plot-thing happens in many shows. I remember Sheldon in The Big Bang Theory did the same thing smile.gif

TSA is the department that handles airline security after 9/11

AKA, remove the shoes and toss the bottles of shampoo.

And, according to World News, TSA steals your Ipads too. LOL

It'd be funny if Texas was removed from the US. HAVE FUN DEALING WITH ALL THE DRUG/WEAPON SMUGGLERS ON YOUR OWN, GUYS.

I'm not surprised Michigan is on there. After all, the U.P. has been trying to become it's own state for YEARS.

I highly doubt any of the states will secede. Out of curiosity which ones are wanting to? I find it quite pathetic people are throwing that much of a fit over who won. They need to get over it and go about their lives. It's been 8 days already. :/

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Went through all the petitions on the white house website. Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Vermont & Washington are the only states thus far that don't have a petition up, and Alaska has a petition up about an election to decide their fate.

6 out of 50 states want to stay (as of this moment). The petitions that have hit the 25k+ mark include Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, Texas & Louisiana.

Jeez...these people have hate. They need to go to the doctor's office or something...

EDIT: Scratch Washington. Petition just popped up.

Edited by warriorjames

Can't say that any of those states you just listed came as any surprise. tongue.gif

How many here NEVER wanted to divorce their parents ??? xd.png

Actually, this is pretty scary to be honest with you.

It is, but I highly doubt it will happen partially because of precedence set during the civil war, and even if you have 25,000 signatures population densisties can over rule you (texas has a lot of people in it hence the high electoral votes), Alaska is the only one I think that has a smidgen of a chance, but I wonder if they'd even be able to produce enough food for people there because of the growing season. Really I can't see any state breaking away from the union because there are too many benifits you end up giving up and you have to re-write your constitution and set up a government that works without someone above you.

Also with online petitions it is easier to create fraud in signing. Because parents of people just turned 18 or other relatives that know the person can create an email address and sign for both them and the other person, or their spouse, or their neighbor.

I mostly try to take online petitions with a grain of salt, the ones that tend to win me over the most are those that check ip address so unless you are under different proxies or computer hopping you can only sign the petition once (like the Derpy Hooves petition I found online for all the bronies out there.)

Given the consequences last time a group of States seceeded form the Union.... yeah, I'm with you on that. Although, I gotta say, I think the Civil War pretty much means it's never going to happen without there being an *awful* lot more problems in the US than there are currently. Realistically I think the Federal government would have to be almost totally breaking down before States became serious about seceeding.

Being an avid student of US history I can't help but wonder how things will go over here in Europe if anyone actually tries to pull out of the EU. There's a lot of sentiment in the UK favouring withdrawal from the EU, and building closer links with the US and/or the Commonwealth Nations. Enough sentiment that there's a growing movement to demand a referendum on the issue. Could be interesting. Unlikely in this day and age to come to all out war, but certainly interesting. (For the record; yes, I am one of the people that would rather see us withdraw from the EU. But that's probably a topic for another thread.)

You'll notice a lot of the signers aren't actually from the state mentioned in the petition.

lol, this is turning into a pissing match. I wonder if they'll have to clean these out before they are through.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/f...-union/St0y9qBM

Force all states to pay their portion of the national debt before they can secede from the union

Residents of all states who wish to secede from the union should be required to take their own advice about 'personal responsibility', and pay their share of the national debt before being released to fend for themselves.

This debt must be paid in full, or they cannot leave.

This means no federal assistance, period.

Abridged list includes no more upkeep for highways, nor for interstates or bridges, no federally funded law enforcement or fire department, no public libraries, no phone lines, no cable television, no cell phone towers, no power grids, no water lines, no mail services, no paramedics, no hospitals which accept Medicare/Medicaid funding, no ATF, FBI, DOJ, SWAT, or Department of Homeland Security, no Border Guard, National Guard, Coast Guard, Corps of Engineers, or WITSEC.

Edited by Vhale

If the petitions are online, I wouldn't even consider them usable since anyone and their grandmother with an internet connection could walk up and sign it. Possibly even if they don't live in the United States. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of the people who signed it are just angry at the ones who crated the polls and WANT to see them leave the country.

Which is a bit disheartening to me. I feel like people will be angry with me just because I live here in one of the states. I've been reading comments on news articles where people say things like "Good, I hope they all leave and I hope they all suffer their own stupidity." sad.gif I don't wanna leave the country! I know this is an awful, and foolish idea. I wish they wouldn't hate me just because I have the bad luck to live in one of the states this is going on in!

If the petitions are online, I wouldn't even consider them usable since anyone and their grandmother with an internet connection could walk up and sign it. Possibly even if they don't live in the United States. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of the people who signed it are just angry at the ones who crated the polls and WANT to see them leave the country.

Which is a bit disheartening to me. I feel like people will be angry with me just because I live here in one of the states. I've been reading comments on news articles where people say things like "Good, I hope they all leave and I hope they all suffer their own stupidity." sad.gif I don't wanna leave the country! I know this is an awful, and foolish idea. I wish they wouldn't hate me just because I have the bad luck to live in one of the states this is going on in!

Twilit I'm in the same exact situation, I think that it is one of the reasons there is a petition out there that says to deport anyone who has signed the petitions (allowing people who want to continue to live there to live there and the ones who don't want to be in America to leave.)

Twilit I'm in the same exact situation, I think that it is one of the reasons there is a petition out there that says to deport anyone who has signed the petitions (allowing people who want to continue to live there to live there and the ones who don't want to be in America to leave.)

That group of people who truly want to leave is probably laughably small. Most of 'em will deny that they "signed" this petition and then gripe again after the next election.

Not really- there's been more serious attempts to secede from the country before. This is just some folks throwing a fit and taking advantage of the fact the internet lets you gather signatures far faster than any old fashioned door to door or mail-out service would allow for.

It's pretty much all hype and journalists having a field day making it look more serious. If there is anything 'serious' about this, it's that people are potentially signing their names to a life long 'to watch' list as potential dissidents and rabble-rousers. That's about it.

Edited by Kyrieath

I feel like people will be angry with me just because I live here in one of the states. I've been reading comments on news articles where people say things like "Good, I hope they all leave and I hope they all suffer their own stupidity." :( I don't wanna leave the country! I know this is an awful, and foolish idea. I wish they wouldn't hate me just because I have the bad luck to live in one of the states this is going on in!

I say anybody who wants to leave should--nobody's stopping them from moving to another country (of course, finding a country that actually runs how they'd like it to be run would be hard, lol)! But those petitions don't necessarily represent the majority of the population in the states who are creating them. Like you said, anybody could sign--there's guaranteed to be troll signatures in there, people who signed more than once, people who probably don't even live in the US, people who do but aren't even citizens, etc. So any REASONABLE person won't be angry with you just for living in one of those states--plenty of people from those states are ashamed. What's the count now? I'm getting a few numbers, anything from 30-something to 47 states have petitions now? Honestly, it's silly to throw such a fit over the election.

If Romney had won, I wouldn't be making a petition to leave the Union--at the most I'd start seriously looking into moving to Canada or something. More realistically for my means, I'd stay here and **** about it and do everything I legally can to stop him from passing anything that would hurt me or people I care about (y'know, voting for representatives who I feel most accurately represent my views, signing petitions/sending letters or emails/calling in to let them know how I feel, since done right such movements CAN cause them to change their minds and support what the majority of their voters desire, getting the word out to other people so they can do the same, etc.)

Honestly, I think this is more people trying to make a point that they're pissed than actually seriously wanting to withdraw from the Union. I mean, there's just too much that would inconvenience people. From big important things to small things like suddenly having to prove you're legally allowed to be in the US to go shopping in a town across the boarder (lest we kick them out for being illegals :P), there's too much people would not want to actually give up/put up with to make this a viable thing without a hell of a lot more thought put into it.

I wonder how many of the people who ARE serious (since there's bound to be some) have actually thought about everything that it would entail and how much they'd have to sacrifice while their state got everything in order and set up to be a proper nation on their own? And how many of them are serious but think the only change that would happen is suddenly they'd be the Nation of [state name] and otherwise everything would operate exactly as it does now? (Because you KNOW there are people who seriously think that)

Ron Paul is giving part 1 of his farewell speech on CSPAN right now.

‎"Why does a change in party not create a change in policy? Could it be that the views of both parties are essentially the same?" -Ron Paul

Part of me wants to be snarky because it's a funny topic, and being in Texas you get apathetic to the secede noa crowd. But I do think there is a taste of inability to judge consequences for actions here. The same that's colored a lot of our policies. We tend to go for short term gain, rather than long term benefits. IE, how we're dumping money into prisons at the expense of our schools. People trying to outlaw birth control that are also against abortion, when that just doesn't work. And I think some of the personalities out there like Rush Limbaugh have made way too much money stoking the fires of these kind of attitudes. There have been a lot of reports that there's a dangerous amount of home-grown terrorism up and coming in the US. IF we can't say, look, we need to stop this and work together I don't think we'd see war but I never thought I'd see the USSR break up either.

I think a lot depends on the Republican's reaction to all this in the next 2 years. They need a leader that can pull them together in a positive way. A lot of people are making a buzz down here that George P Bush applied to run for office. He's a nephew? of yes, THAT Bush and half hispanic. But not much is known about him as he's brand new.