Crisis

American Politics

I voted and the wait was not too bad where I am. It only took about 1 hour to get there, get in and get out. Gary J was actually on the ballot here in Texas. The more I think about their stunt getting arrested trying to get into the official debate, the more I like it. It gets the word out. It is horribly sad though, that the independant debate was broadcast in other countries... but not here...

There was also a very interesting article on CNN about how other countries do not rely on parties to handle things like voting. I like the idea on that. But I'm willing to bet that with the current fiscal attitudes it would be almost impossible to implement. But meh, one has to start somewhere. Link

I don't think it's too fair to say people would cry racism about the twitter thing. Twitter hashtags and LOLcat type things are internet staples. There's no shortage of them at all. I admit I've chuckled are more than a few by both sides. Granted, I prefer the LOLcat ones to Twitter. But with Obama, they tend to attract birthers and muslim bashers unless it's a modded site.

Consider we have at least one person here that openly advocates deporting Muslinm-Americans then bombing them and Mexico (nevermind the Americans retired there). Lord of the Rings jokes = funny. Genocide, not so much when they are serious about it. Half my extended family would be killed if they got their way, so I admit it's harder for me to take them as joking

@vhale: I don't like the idea of people getting hurt anywhere, much less Muslims and Hispanics. IMO, it takes a pretty nasty person to threaten or even joke about that kind of thing. And the racism thing? People could count the Romney bashing as racist, but I haven't heard a huge amount of complaining.

For example, 'Romney Style' on YouTube. People thought that was really witty (myself included).

Man these places with an hour wait? I seriously was only gone for ten minutes where I live and most of that was just filling in bubbles.

(and trying to comprehend the language in some of the amendments they were proposing on the Missouri ballet. So much lawyer speak)

I did get stuck behind an elderly lady who wanted to know if someone voted absentee and then died before the election if the vote still counted.

I did get stuck behind an elderly lady who wanted to know if someone voted absentee and then died before the election if the vote still counted.

biggrin.gif This makes me laugh. I suppose it would count, but I have no idea if it really would or not.

biggrin.gif This makes me laugh. I suppose it would count, but I have no idea if it really would or not.

From what I heard it still counts as long as the person was alive to make the vote.

She had a ton of other questions too about "well how do you know if an absentee has voted so they don't come vote again" and they had to explain to her about the book they had that was updated for all the votes. And she just kept going on and on and I was like, please, this is my ID I just want a ballot.

The only vote I will disclose is I did not vote for Todd Akins/legitimate rape guy. I will be horrified with Missouri if he wins, I'll have to move to Kansas dry.gif

The only vote I will disclose is I did not vote for Todd Akins/legitimate rape guy. I will be horrified with Missouri if he wins, I'll have to move to Kansas dry.gif

Nasty man, Todd Akins. Irritating man who would wreck havoc on things from any position he obtains.

I'm lucky. My polling place is literally across the street from me, so it took pretty much no time at all. I just got back a little while ago. Not many people over there ATM, so I'm wondering if there were more earlier or will be more later.

Edited by LascielsShadow

No line o_O I was surprised, after hearing so much about the long lines. Confirmation bias I guess. Pity I couldn't just do it on campus, any bike ride is a long one when it's freezing out.

No line o_O I was surprised, after hearing so much about the long lines. Confirmation bias I guess. Pity I couldn't just do it on campus, any bike ride is a long one when it's freezing out.

*nods* It's in the low 40s here where I am. Makes it a true pain to go anywhere if you don't have a nice toasty car.

Voted! My niece went with me - I tried to get the poll workers to tell her that prop 41 was voting her off the island, but it was a no go.

Also, got 3 stickers!!! I'll be the reason my state goes bankrupt...er.

biggrin.gif

Voted! My niece went with me - I tried to get the poll workers to tell her that prop 41 was voting her off the island, but it was a no go.

Also, got 3 stickers!!! I'll be the reason my state goes bankrupt...er.

biggrin.gif

What a thing to be proud of tongue.gif Very nice, my friend.

Been a nervous wreck all day. I can't wait to find out who wins.

Relevant:

user posted image

Been a nervous wreck all day. I can't wait to find out who wins.

Very true. *prays that Obama makes it* If Romney gets in I'm fleeing to Canada or the U.K.

Has anyone seen this letter?

this is one of the biggest reasons I like Obama. He's far from perfect, but he supports diversity and restores my faith in humanity. xd.png

No lines where I was and all the people at the voting polls were super nice in letting me know where to go and what to do! I'm running around the house with my sticker like a little child showing off their school project. Seriously, i'm a lot more excited about voting then I thought I would be.

user posted image

Thankfully my polls were all paper and pen. No rigged touch screens for me!

Here's a video of a rigged poll encase anyone was curious. This one has since been replaced:

Very true. *prays that Obama makes it* If Romney gets in I'm fleeing to Canada or the U.K.

In the words of someone other then me:

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by MysticTiger

Has anyone seen this letter?

this is one of the biggest reasons I like Obama. He's far from perfect, but he supports diversity and restores my faith in humanity. xd.png

laugh.gif oh that's the sweetest thing ever! I think maybe I should take the time to send Obama a letter myself.

Yeah, agreed. It's like, both candidates may not be the best hope for our country, but Obama is a fair sight better than Romney.

And I agree. Fleeing the country for the next four years yup

At least it looks like Obama is winning so far...

Yeah, agreed. It's like, both candidates may not be the best hope for our country, but Obama is a fair sight better than Romney.

And I agree. Fleeing the country for the next four years yup

At least it looks like Obama is winning so far...

smile.gif yup. At least Obama isn't as wishy-washy about his stance on things.

And, I don't know about the rest of you, but I think people should be able to love who they love without the government telling them their love isn't valid. Romney wanted to illegalize equal marriage. That is something I absolutely CAN NOT get behind.

With all the people begging you to vote and knocking on the door, I have an idea. Make a sign that you can hold up to let them read saying:

1) I've already voted.

2) Get the hell off my property.

3) My vote is none of your business anyway.

Those people with their clipboards are so annoying. Grrr.

Ha ha. That would be nice wink.gif

We kept getting phone calls last night at 9:00 pm "vote for uuuussssss".

It was so obnoxious. Like a phone call on the night of the election would just be IT for me - "That's it, that's the guy I was going to vote for, if I hadn't gotten this phonecall (from a robot) then I would have never decided"

*le sigh*

In other news, I am pretty psyched about the sticker. I got a pretty big sticker this year compared to four years ago (and I did a local election about a year ago for some local tax deal, so I have a little sticker from them) and I've been switching it around between what I've been wearing just to show off

(I even stuck it to my labcoat).

I feel like I got more respect from people by wearing it today.

I should have asked for more stickers though (I thought you were only allowed one sticker, but if I could have had more I could have plastered my entire face. Imagine the respect I would have gotten then xd.png )

I voted. Regardless of the outcome, I wish nothing but the best for the federal, state, and local officials elected to lead and represent us during their term. May none of them forget that once elected, they are to represent everyone regardless of party affiliation.

Why is it always the republicans doing some low thing like that? Really why cheat?

To be fair, the Democrats have done their fair share of this kind of thing in their party's history.

But that's the thing about the current Democrat fraud rumors that keep making the rounds of the conservative blogs, because it's not that this is something Dems could never, ever possibly do (clearly both parties have the potential in them); the thing is - and I think this is what a lot of conservatives are missing in this - that this isn't something that Democrats need to do. There's nothing in it for Democrats that would compel them to engage in wide spread voter fraud, because they they have the numbers in the demographics they need.

But, I do have to hand it to the Republicans, because this is a fantastic diversion for their base from the fact that they're running a map that is largely dependent on white voters, especially white male voters. and even if they can get enough to come out for this election to compensate for the progressive decline of their percentage of the electorate, the fact is that, longterm, that's a losing strategy.

In fact, if Obama wins it will be because that hard push to the right by the Republicans left all of those other groups of voters up for grabs.

So, yeah, the Democrats have had their issues in their day, but they're far better served with putting effort into a ground game as opposed to a cheating scam, as some on the right are claiming, because at this point the Democrats – win or lose this election – are the only ones who are building a foundation that can win elections in the future.

I voted. Regardless of the outcome, I wish nothing but the best for the federal, state, and local officials elected to lead and represent us during their term.  May none of them forget that once elected, they are to represent everyone regardless of party affiliation.

That's a very awesome sentiment, casprrr! smile.gif

Edited by skauble