Crisis

American Politics

"I do not feel this Rape Thing" as he so casually calls it, has anything to do with what party you are from. It is his right to feel the way he does and only his opinion.

Except it does have to do with what party you are from and which party you are supporting.

Republican politicians are the ones using phrases like "this rape thing" "legitimate rape", and comparing women to livestock.

Republicans are the party who want to cut funding to affordable cancer screenings and mammograms for women as well as other health services.

Paul Ryan was a vocal opponent of all abortion unless the woman's life was in danger while in congress - he opposed choice in the case of rape or incest.

You just don't hear this stuff from Democrats.

When electronic voting machines first started being widely used, I didn't trust them...for MANY reasons. This is one reason: 'calibration issues'.

Was it really a problem with calibration...or delibate tampering? We may never know for certain.

Regardless, that kind of thing is why some places go back to paper voting. Unfortunatley, my state has only the electronic machines and I made damn sure it registered my vote right before I confirmed (but there's no way of knowing if someone will hack the data later and change it....).

On the Libya attack, more details on link Kat posted here: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rep-jason-...enghazi-attack/

I once saw a comment that said :

"If you're lower class, middle class, a woman, or a homosexual, and you vote Republican, you're bloody stupid."

When it comes to things like that, I have to agree. Why would you vote for someone who would make your life harder? Why would you vote for someone who would take away your rights? Why? It doesn't make sense. When they can't take subjects like this SERIOUSLY, it makes me wonder how in the hell they can take things that are far less serious and ever hope to make them better.

Obama is at the very least TRYING. He's making things better.

user posted image

I know why some people vote republican who are in those classes...it has to do with the fact that their values follow that or in my area being republican is so ingrained that if you want to vote for someone in a local office you need the ability to vote in the spring dry.gif because everyone is republican.

Stupid I know but in my area thats the reason.

On the Libya attack, more details on link Kat posted here: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/rep-jason-...enghazi-attack/

OBAMA needs to be held accountable for this bad screw up, but I notice no-one is hardly touching it on here.

This is one bad cover up for sure.

OBAMA is not trustworthy at all. I hope he enjoyed sitting in his chair watching his TV what was going on, while these poor people were fighting for their lives and ended up DEAD. OBAMA'S head needs to roll for this. This is so UNFORGIVALE.

OBAMA needs to be held accountable for this bad screw up, but I notice no-one is hardly touching it on here.

OBAMA is not trustworthy at all. I hope he enjoyed sitting in his chair watching his TV what was going on, while these poor people were fighting for their lives and ended up DEAD. OBAMA'S head needs to roll for this. This is so UNFORGIVALE.

Wait. Did you just advocate killing the President of the United States? Really?

Kat, political assassination is not the way to get people you don't care for out of office.

I've never agreed with your politics, but this is the first time I've actually found your mindset frightening as well as occasionally offensive.

Wait. Did you just advocate killing the President of the United States? Really?

How ridiclous can you be, that is not what I said at all. Please do not put words in my mouth that I did not say thank you. His head does need to roll and he needs to be help accountable for the actions he did not take.

Unlike the current administration, Judge Jeanine tells it like it is in regard to recent events in Benghazi.

She is absolutely right on all counts, and some heads are gonna roll when its all said and done. A big question is: will Hussein Obama throw Hillary under the bus, or will she & Bill throw him under the bus

Judge Jeanine asks White House 'How do you sleep at night'

I may not be happy with most of his policies but I certainly don't wish the man ill. ~Kat~ your post is very angry and frightening and just affirms that you aren't open minded politically.

I may not be happy with most of his policies but I certainly don't wish the man ill. ~Kat~ your post is very angry and frightening and just affirms that you aren't open minded politically.

Will you people get a grip, I do not want Obama dead at all. You people are frightening the way your mind thinks and you try and make something someone says into something totally different.

Please stop accusing me of wanting Obama dead. I DO NOT WANT OBAMA DEAD AT ALL. Do you all understand this now, I hope so, smile.gif

Heads will roll over this, does not mean DEAD people.

Unlike the current administration, Judge Jeanine tells it like it is in regard to recent events in Benghazi.

She is absolutely right on all counts, and some heads are gonna roll when its all said and done. A big question is: will Hussein Obama throw Hillary under the bus, or will she & Bill throw him under the bus

How ridiclous can you be, that is not what I said at all. Please do not put words in my mouth that I did not say thank you. His head does need to roll and he needs to be help accountable for the actions he did not take.

I did not put words into your mouth, but asked for further clarification about the part of your post I had bolded. Suggesting that someone's head must roll is a reference to the bad old days of the French revolution when unpopular leaders were routinely removed from power via the guillotine. Either you were employing hyperbole, were unaware of the actual meaning of the phrase, or wish the President's head to be forcibly removed from his shoulders. And judging from the tone of your post, I'm unsure which.

Guys, chill. I agree that Kat's post could be taken the wrong way, and that "heads will roll" is perhaps the wrong phrase to say here (even joking about wanting a president dead is bad), but that is no reason to attack her. I for one read it as (I presume) it was intended to be read, an expression. That is besides the point however, please calm down.

Edit: If you are not exactly sure what the expression means, here is a reference: link.

Edited by kiffren

Except it does have to do with what party you are from and which party you are supporting.

Republican politicians are the ones using phrases like "this rape thing" "legitimate rape", and comparing women to livestock.

Republicans are the party who want to cut funding to affordable cancer screenings and mammograms for women as well as other health services.

Paul Ryan was a vocal opponent of all abortion unless the woman's life was in danger while in congress - he opposed choice in the case of rape or incest.

You just don't hear this stuff from Democrats.

To be fair, there have been some Democrats that have worked with Republicans on getting some of these bills pass. But it's definitely a party platform issue that has born fruit in this last election cycle. McCain actually tried to change the party platform on abortion, but he got scared off by hard-liners. SInce then, it's like they've tried to prove their commitment by becoming more extreme. Romney hasn't tried to do change the platform, he's too willing to claim that he's for everything at the same time. He has claimed he'd try to overturn Roe v Wade and Ryan is his VP, but who knows if he's being truthful. I guess it's a case of better safe than sorry if it's an issue that's important to you.

This video was pretty much what I thought of the election, thought I'd share it here.

OBAMA is not trustworthy at all.

You say that like Romney is.

BTW, which Romney are we voting for? There's been so many Romneys over the years, and so many this campaing season what with his constant flip-flopping and all.

He's a liar, plain and simple. He will say anything to anyone if he thinks it'll get him into office.

Ryan's not exactly the most honest person in the world either. There's a reason he's earned the nickname Lyin' Ryan among some people.

Also, ~Kat~, I know you meant that as hyperbole. The problem, though, is tone carries horribly via text. This has happened before. Careful wording is best to avoid unfortunate misunderstandings such as this.

And the sad thing is, there ARE people out there who would mean it as a desire for death to befall him, or at least some other nasty fate. And... I simply suggest being more careful with your wording--what does it say about the image you have presented of yourself that several people feared you were not employing hyperbole? To prevent such in the future, it may be best to use phrases less likely to be misread.

Guys, chill. I agree that Kat's post could be taken the wrong way, and that "heads will roll" is perhaps the wrong phrase to say here (even joking about wanting a president dead is bad), but that is no reason to attack her. I for one read it as (I presume) it was intended to be read, an expression. That is besides the point however, please calm down.

Edit: If you are not exactly sure what the expression means, here is a reference: link.

Thank you very much.

I hafta admit I'll be voting Obama (not that it matters as much as some might think. We don't actually elect the president, after all). I don't like him or his policies, but option 2 is even worse. My overall opinion on the matter has everything to do with Romney:

Someone who can't stay firm in his own stance shouldn't be president. Romney's not compromising on things, he's completely changing position or just plain pretending like he never took a different stance at some point. I'm not saying Obama is innocent of this, but he's hardly been as wishy-washy as Romney. Just how effective do you think he'll be at managing his own party, let alone dealing with broad spanning politics beyond our borders? Not very; he's constantly on the defensive/yes-man positon among his own party, hence all the stance shifting, and can't really get them to unite on anything beyond "we want a republican president". (And even then, they're not especially united.)

Someone who can't remember his religion should have nothing to do with the political agenda and lives of people who do not follow the same religion should not be president. As both a woman and an agnostic, I don't much care for the idea of someone feeling his religious view should impact my rights in regards to what I do with my body, especially in cases where an attack is involved. I don't care what he and his supporters think 'God' wants. They aren't prophets to say for sure, I don't follow their tenets, I don't want them forced on me through federal regulations and restrictions.

I know an impartial government is pretty well impossible to ask for -everyone will always have their beliefs, after all. But can we at least avoid the obvious problem children like this one? I don't like Obama, but Romney is working on building a time machine to take us back to some pretty bad places in human history.

The whole FEMA issue pretty much speaks for itself in recent events, I think. A fact made all the more plain by how carefully he's trying to tiptoe around it. And let's not forget that rather sad and poorly organized attempt to mask a political rally as a relief gathering. That was just low.

Sorry, not my pick for president. Obama's not a leader I want, but you don't fix a problem by putting an even worse one in place.

Edit: bit of typo fixing.

Edited by Kyrieath

I really can't say Romney will be a great president, but at this point I don't think it can get any worse than allowing Obama to remain in office. Also, someone's religion should have no input on their capacity to fulfill their duties in public office. It may shape their belief system on certain issues, but they have to (or are supposed to anyway) legislate according to the Constitution.

That being said, history has not been kind to sitting Presidents if the economy is tanking. Romney is a skilled businessman, which is much more economic experience than a state senator with a history of voting "present". As the economy is the forefront issue for most of the voting base, I do think that gives Romney a significant edge, even over those who believe Obama can do no wrong and will vote for him blindly.

Due to his business experience, I also would put more faith in Romney than Obama to help get the economy back online. (The person I would have preferred for that job would have been Ron Paul since he saw this mess coming 20 years ago.)

Honestly, here is what I would like to see the next president do:

- Drastically reduce the size of the federal government. It has become a money sucking Leviathan. Return power to the states like it was meant to be before. Stop abusing the Commerce Clause.

- Reduce government spending. Our national debt is staggering and IMO is the greatest threat to our national security. There is no such thing as a free lunch so stop acting like there is.

- Develop our own natural resources and reduce/eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. Don't use feel-good gimmicks like electric cars that cost taxpayers much more than they save.

- Stop being world police. If someone asks for our help, fine. Otherwise, stay out of it. Also, nation-building does NOT WORK. Stop it.

- Repeal Obamacare. The majority of the country did not want this legislation. Instead, look at ways to make health care less costly. Enacting tort reform would bring down the cost of health care significantly.

- Crack down on overpaid public sector unions. When public workers are making twice as much as their private sector counterparts for the same job, that's a problem - because public workers are paid with tax dollars.

- On that note, have all states be right-to-work states. If I want a certain job, I should not be forced to join (and pay dues to) a union that I do not agree with nor feel represents my interests.

I really can't say Romney will be a great president, but at this point I don't think it can get any worse than allowing Obama to remain in office. Also, someone's religion should have no input on their capacity to fulfill their duties in public office. It may shape their belief system on certain issues, but they have to (or are supposed to anyway) legislate according to the Constitution.

That being said, history has not been kind to sitting Presidents if the economy is tanking. Romney is a skilled businessman, which is much more economic experience than a state senator with a history of voting "present". As the economy is the forefront issue for most of the voting base, I do think that gives Romney a significant edge, even over those who believe Obama can do no wrong and will vote for him blindly.

Due to his business experience, I also would put more faith in Romney than Obama to help get the economy back online. (The person I would have preferred for that job would have been Ron Paul since he saw this mess coming 20 years ago.)

Honestly, here is what I would like to see the next president do:

- Drastically reduce the size of the federal government. It has become a money sucking Leviathan. Return power to the states like it was meant to be before. Stop abusing the Commerce Clause.

- Reduce government spending. Our national debt is staggering and IMO is the greatest threat to our national security. There is no such thing as a free lunch so stop acting like there is.

- Develop our own natural resources and reduce/eliminate our dependence on foreign oil. Don't use feel-good gimmicks like electric cars that cost taxpayers much more than they save.

- Stop being world police. If someone asks for our help, fine. Otherwise, stay out of it. Also, nation-building does NOT WORK. Stop it.

- Repeal Obamacare. The majority of the country did not want this legislation. Instead, look at ways to make health care less costly. Enacting tort reform would bring down the cost of health care significantly.

- Crack down on overpaid public sector unions. When public workers are making twice as much as their private sector counterparts for the same job, that's a problem - because public workers are paid with tax dollars.

- On that note, have all states be right-to-work states. If I want a certain job, I should not be forced to join (and pay dues to) a union that I do not agree with nor feel represents my interests.

I agree with you on most of these points, but I honestly don't think Romney will follow through with them, especailly since a good majority of republican's running are focused on ending abortion and women's ability to get cheap or free woman's health services. Besides, there is someone in the race who left a state with a surplus who not only wants to do these things but wants to also put in laws that protect and give freedoms to people we right now are treating as second class citizens.

I've cast my vote (absentee) and neither the arrogant elephants, nor the good meaning but money spending donkeys got my vote.

PLEASE NO to repealing Obamacare!

We're starting to see such a positive difference already in the affordability of healthcare, especially among the uninsured! And it's more inclusive - people can't be barred from receiving insurance because of pre-existing conditions and students can stay on their parents' insurance for longer.

The only problem with Obamacare in my opinion is that it doesn't go far enough. But it's a step in the right direction to having universal healthcare like all other first-world nations.

The problem I have with Romney's business record is it doesn't really look that good. His state was on the bottom of job creation. And his legislature was actually bipartisan against him. They got together and over-rode his vetos because neither side liked him. He had 800 vetoes. In his last year, ALL of his vetoes were overwritten and sometimes unanimously.

That was actually a huge concern here when Ross Perot ran (he was from my state) not that he couldn't get the job done, but that trying to use a business management style in a congressional setting wouldn't work.

http://www.politicususa.com/romneys-800-ve...bipartisan.html

- Repeal Obamacare.  The majority of the country did not want this legislation.  Instead, look at ways to make health care less costly.  Enacting tort reform would bring down the cost of health care significantly.

Nationalise your healthcare. Seriously. If you want to bring costs down - that's how you do it. Health care in the US is currently profit driven. That's not good for the end-user, which in the case of health care is the patients.

It's well known that prices are put up when something is being paid for by insurace (I once had a garage quote me two prices to repair a car - one for if I was paying, another much higher one if it was going on insurance), which is part of the reason health care costs are spiralling in the US. You're also very over-medicated in the States, because everyone makes money if people are popping pills (except, of course, the people paying for and taking the pills they don't really need).

We've done the comparison before, I'm sure we can do it again if people want to start getting pay statements out. The amount of money I pay towards the NHS costs me less per year than private health insurance costs most people in the States, *and* I have no excess to pay. Plus I know that even if I were to lose my job I'd still be entitled to the same health care. No such thing as medical banckruptcy in the UK. Think on that.

Edit to add: old but relevant - even your own *doctors* think the system in the States is screwy.

Edited by TikindiDragon

On the other hand Tikindi, if you need an operation but it is not deemed a life threatening emergency, you often have to wait a few weeks to get in. At least how how it is now I have the option to do it now. (I'm living with a British friend at the moment and I was talking with him about NHS)

I also have a close Australian friend who's brother has cancer. Because of better funding he could have been operated on in the US, but they don't have the same resources there.

I'm also living in Russia at the moment and I can see how the government can slow down and needlessly complicate things.

That all said, I also see the pros of national health care, cost being the main one. I'm not one of the Americans screaming SOCIALISM, but I can see the pros and cons from personal experience.

I also agree with you about the over medication and the drive for profit.

Edited by Corteo

In the other hand Tikindi, if you need an operation but it is not deemed a life threatening emergency, you often have to wait a few weeks to get in. At least how Otis now I have the option to do it now. (I'm living with a British friend at the moment and I was talking with him about NHS)

I also have a close Australian friend who's brother has cancer. Because of better funding he could have been operated on in the US, but they don't have the same resources there.

I'm also living in Russia at the moment and I can see how the government can slow down and needlessly complicate things.

That all said, I also see the pros of national health care, cost being the main one. I'm not one of the Americans screaming SOCIALISM, but I can see the pros and cons from personal experience.

I've waited over a year for medical procedures because I don't have the money.

Yeah, as I said I see the pros and cons. I don't think that the current system is perfect (very far from it) I just wanted to point out some of the pros and cons I've seen from personal experience.

My post was neither for not against nationalized health care because I honestly don't have much of an opinion on it. I just wanted to show examples of how neither is perfect.

Also, I'm really sorry for all the typos, I'm on my phone at the moment.

Edited by Corteo

On the other hand Tikindi, if you need an operation but it is not deemed a life threatening emergency, you often have to wait a few weeks to get in. At least how how it is now I have the option to do it now. (I'm living with a British friend at the moment and I was talking with him about NHS)

Oh yes, absolutely. The NHS treats on medical necessity, not ability to pay, so if it's not life-threatening you may hvae to wait a while. I've been playing the NHS waiting game since mid-September trying to work out what's going on with me (I've now been referred for an MRI - may get that before the end of the month if I'm lucky).

The NHS is far from perfect - I certainly won't deny that. It's got its issues, and an ageing population means it is becoming more expensive. You do have to pay a small fee for dental work (and finding an NHS dentist can be a nightmare), and eye-care is only free for certain people. And you do have to wait if your issue isn't life-threatening (although they can work with remarkable speed if the issue *is* life threatening, I've also seen that happen).

That said I'd still personally rather have to wait for an operation than have to bankrupt myself to pay and get it done quickly. I am sure private health care is a *great* system for people with the money - but the sad fact is that a lot of people don't have the money needed to get quick treatment without massive personal cost, and even people that are insured can suddenly find their insurace dosen't cover as much as they thought it did. Check out this study (from 2009) that showed that 62% of all bankruptcies filed in the US had medical debts. Over 75% of people had insurance, and still ended up bankrupt due to medical issues. I'm still slightly shocked by that, as medical bankruptcy is pretty much unknown in the UK. I'm not sure how many people living in the States understand quite how shocking your health care appears to the rest of the Western world.

There are certainly cons to a Nationalised health care system. But frankly those pale in comparison to the obvious human suffering, and overall cost, cons of the current system in the US.