Crisis

American Politics

6 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Marjorie Taylor-Greene got "permanently suspended) (banned) from having a personal account on Twitter for spreading COVID misinformation again  She still has an official government Twitter account.

Good. No matter where you stand, she's an insane extremist. Won't be missed. can't wait until the government account is also suspended when she says something bonkers enough to be ban evasion.

More scary stuff that should be required reading for all US citizens. Does anyone but the real hard-right crazies want this sort of outcome? But if we don't wake up, it could happen!

The US could be under a

rightwing dictatorship by 2030, a Canadian political science professor has warned, urging his country to protect itself against the “collapse of American democracy”.

...snip...

“In 2014, the suggestion that Donald Trump would become president would also have struck nearly everyone as absurd. But today we live in a world where the absurd regularly becomes real and the horrible commonplace.”

Homer-Dixon’s message was blunt: “By 2025, American democracy could collapse, causing extreme domestic political instability, including widespread civil violence. By 2030, if not sooner, the country could be governed by a rightwing dictatorship.”

The author cited eventualities centered on a Trump return to the White House in 2024, possibly including Republican-held state legislatures refusing to accept a Democratic win.

Trump, he warned, “will have only two objectives, vindication and vengeance” of the lie that his 2020 defeat by Joe Biden was the result of electoral fraud.

...snip...

Trump, he said, “and a host of acolytes and wannabes such as Fox [News]’s Tucker Carlson and Georgia representative Marjorie Taylor Greene”, had transformed the Republican party “into a near-fascist personality cult that’s a perfect instrument for wrecking democracy”.

I have not quoted the entire article, but you can read the rest linked below. Some of what I didn't quote is even scarier than what I did. :(

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/03/us-rightwing-dictatorship-2030-trump-canada?utm_term=61d2de3b4f2e2ab881941fdcf9aeff7c&utm_campaign=USMorningBriefing&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=usbriefing_email

19 hours ago, Kaini said:

Good. No matter where you stand, she's an insane extremist. Won't be missed. can't wait until the government account is also suspended when she says something bonkers enough to be ban evasion.

She has lost her Facebook privileges, too. Again, for pushing COVID disinformation. 

On 1/23/2021 at 4:32 AM, purpledragonclaw said:

Oil is going to go the way of coal, and as soulless pointed out, now is the time to invest in renewables.

Oil, coal and gas are all incredibly dangerous sources of fuel too - oil spills in the water kill marine and freshwater life, using too much coal will only lead to ghost towns like Centralia, and gas explosions in buildings can kill even more people than oil and coal put together (just found out about the school explosion in 1937, 300+ people died).

Wind power, water power and solar energy never killed anyone. Hopefully they'll eventually abandon nuclear energy too due to how dangerous it is (nobody wants another Chernobyl), and try to come up with a safer type of energy (even if it's less efficient).

5 hours ago, Beldarius said:

(just found out about the school explosion in 1937, 300+ people died).

Used to live just outside the town of New London, Texas.  There wasn't a complete count - the school enrollment records were destroyed, plus some of the itinerant workers there for the oil boom work claimed their children's bodies and left to bury them elsewhere.  After the law adding the odorant to natural gas was passed and the cenotaph placed, the people in the area built a wall of silence around the event which lasted for decades until the survivors realized they were dying off and hardly anyone knew the story of what happened. 

Then Houston has had two plant explosions less than a year apart, last one on Dec 23, 2021, previous on January 24, 2020. Texas City has blown up multiple times. This is not out of the ordinary in oilfield areas. Not common, but not unexpected, either.

Yeah, wasn't that immense ammonium nitrate explosion in 1947 in Texas City too? Looks like even that stuff is too dangerous to use after what happened in Lebanon in 2020.

Edited by Beldarius

On Thursday,  January 13, 2022 the United States Supreme Court ruled in favor of the 27 Petitioning US States and the National Federation of Independent Business against OSHA and the US Department of Labor regarding forced vaccines, stating that the agencies did not have the power nor the authority to regulate public health. 

The Court stated that imposing a vaccine mandate on 84 million Americans in response to a worldwide pandemic is not what the agencies were built for and the Court immediately banned the mandate.

The Court further stated that the Federal Government does not have the authority to mandate the vaccination nor the regular testing of those 84 million working Americans. That authority belongs to the States and the local governments across the country.

The mandate forcing employers to force their workers to get vaccinated or lose their jobs exceeds the authority of the named agencies and the federal government. It is Unconstitutional and unlawful. 

I have never seen such a cult-level following around a political figure like this, ugh.

@Kaini

Such cults usually form around autocrats and dictators both past and present - just look at figures like Hitler, the North Korean dictator family, Stalin, Mussolini and nowadays Putin, Bolsonaro, Orban, Xi Jinping, even Boris Johnson - they all make sure to shore up their followers by setting up common enemies, mendaciously promising greats things to come for their followers and making them feel superior to others plus working on suppressing their opponents. It is a common and well studied pattern throughout all history.  Sadly there are always large amounts of people falling for it (additionally to those people who actually gain from supporting such figures).

It is deeply disturbing and frightening to me to see.

"President Donald Trump improperly removed multiple boxes from the White House that were retrieved by the National Archives and Records Administration last month from his Mar-a-Lago residence because they contained documents and other items that should have been turned over to the agency, according to three people familiar with the visit. The recovery of the boxes from Trump’s Florida resort raises new concerns about his adherence to the Presidential Records Act, which requires the preservation of memos, letters, notes, emails, faxes and other written communications related to a president’s official duties." https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/07/trump-records-mar-a-lago/

The boxes reportedly contained important records of communication, gifts and letters from world leaders, which, according to the Post, is a violation of the Presidential Records Act.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/593065-boxes-improperly-removed-from-white-house-recovered-at-trumps-mar-a

The State Department’s Office of Protocol is required to record gifts given to U.S. officials and keep track of their disposition. Recipients have the option of turning gifts of a certain value over to the National Archives or another government entity or purchasing them for personal use by reimbursing the Treasury Department for their value. - https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mike-pompeo-japan-whiskey-gift_n_610adf23e4b0b94f6077fef7

What's interesting is one of the items was a letter from Obama, and Trump hates Obana.

So the Super Bowl trucker protest didn't happen:

5. Who listens to Rand Paul anyway?

4. You came to the wrong neighborhood. The locals would not take kindly to it.

3. 500 extra DHS agents added to an already heavily monitored/guarded event.

2. They were probably attending the Super Bowl.

1. You don't mess with American Football. It's more of a religion than a sport.

On 2/7/2022 at 3:04 PM, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

"President Donald Trump improperly removed multiple boxes from the White House that were retrieved by the National Archives and Records Administration last month from his Mar-a-Lago residence because they contained documents and other items that should have been turned over to the agency, according to three people familiar with the visit. The recovery of the boxes from Trump’s Florida resort raises new concerns about his adherence to the Presidential Records Act, which requires the preservation of memos, letters, notes, emails, faxes and other written communications related to a president’s official duties."

Will there be any consequences for Trump? Does the act have any teeth in it? Will anyone choose to pursue the case? Or will he get away with this like he has so many other outrages? He doesn't care about laws, rules, and protocols as they apply to him. He needs to be held accountable.

Okay yall this ain’t good, like Russia has started attacking Ukraine, and Russia has threatened anyone that interferes with their attack will get a response from the Russian army that has not been experienced in your history, LIKE WHATTTTTTTTT, like half of me wants us to help Ukraine and the other is thinking we should lay low for this because I don’t think we want to be messing with Russia right now, also trumps respond to Russia was terrible, saying that Vladimir Putin’s plan was “genius” which I think is irresponsible, but on the other side he could be trying to get on Russia’s side or he has realized that Russia is doing something good? Idk it’s quite puzzling to me, also trump trashing on biden for not talking much about the situation is kinda childish, even tho yes I think biden should be talking about this because this is very very important, but I’m also kinda scared what biden would say, because I feel like he would Help Ukraine, which may cause a war between USA and Russia

also I’m really intrigued by what Vladimir Putin said because he said something about how he’s helping Ukraine? I don’t really know what to think about that, but maybe that’s why trump was saying that Vladimir Putin’s plan was genius 

p.s. please listen to what Vladimir putin, Donald trump, and president biden have to say since I did leave out a lot of things that they said

Well, the headlines have blown up tonight.

Statement of President Joe Biden on the UN Vote Suspending Russia from the Human Rights Council 

Another ex-Trump official who might have voted illegally

GOP congressman who served as Trump's doctor is under investigation by ethics committee

Bin Laden’s niece praises Marjorie Taylor Greene, Matt Gaetz for backing Capitol rioters 

Alabama legislature passes 'Don't Say Gay,' trans care and bathroom ban bills

11 out-of-state officers join Highway Patrol after Gov. Lee touts lack of vaccine mandates

U.S. court reinstates Biden federal employee COVID vaccine mandate

New York A.G. Asks Court to Hold Donald Trump in Contempt: ‘The Judge’s Order Was Crystal Clear’ 

The Veteran Who Launched A Multimillion-Dollar Effort To Build A Border Wall Has Agreed To Plead Guilty To Fraud Charges

F.B.I. Preparing to Investigate How Classified Material Went to Trump’s Home

Senate votes 100-0 to limit trade with Russia, ban oil imports 

Matt Gaetz not only showed up for Marjorie Taylor Greene's hearing on her eligibility to be in Congress, but people are saying he's wearing a ballistic vest. That or he stole a stop sign on the way over.

Ron DeSantis is at it again.  He wants to make Florida a constitutional carry state so gun owners can carry without a permit, not sure if it was in reference to open carry as well.  As if there wasn't enough gun violence in Florida with Floridian attitude and aggression, speaking as a Floridian, we really don't need it to be easier for people to get and carry guns. This is gonna blow up in our faces if it happens. This man is acting like he is already president. Trump lit a fuse and his loyal followers are running with the insanity, and I am just waiting for the bomb(s) to go off. And don't get me started on the stupidity going on concerning Disney,etc.  🤯

15 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

Ron DeSantis is at it again.  He wants to make Florida a constitutional carry state so gun owners can carry without a permit, not sure if it was in reference to open carry as well.  As if there wasn't enough gun violence in Florida with Floridian attitude and aggression, speaking as a Floridian, we really don't need it to be easier for people to get and carry guns. This is gonna blow up in our faces if it happens. This man is acting like he is already president. Trump lit a fuse and his loyal followers are running with the insanity, and I am just waiting for the bomb(s) to go off. And don't get me started on the stupidity going on concerning Disney,etc.  🤯

Almost every state in the Union is allowing concealed carry

in one form or another. 

I personally don't understand what people don't understand about the 2nd Amendment.

The government shall not infringe on the right of the American people to bear arms.

State-by-State Concealed Carry Permit Laws - ProCon.org

The only thing that can stop a BAD guy with a gun, is a GOOD guy with a gun.

I have no idea why people don't understand that. 

May 2,2020 Report: Draft opinion suggests high court could overturn Roe

“Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” the draft opinion states. It was signed by Justice Samuel Alito, a member of the court’s 6-3 conservative majority who was appointed by former President George W. Bush.

The court is expected to rule on the case before its term ends in late June or early July.

24 states would immediately ban abortion if Roe vs. Wade is overturned. 

And no, those states aren't planning to provide prenatal care, postnatal care, financial relief for hospital bills, increase the number of Safe Haven baby boxes, or have a plan for housing babies given up at birth.

Texas has already been sending children out of state to be fostered for almost a year now. Texas is surrounded by states that have anti-abortion trigger laws that would immediately go into effect if Roe vs. Wade is overturned. New Mexico may be the holdout, but they only have six abortion clinics.

Barricades Quietly Erected Around Supreme Court After Roe Draft Decision Leaks

Twitter: Protesters gathering Monday night outside of the U.S. Supreme Court

Roe vs. Wade isn't just about abortion, it also effects decisions on the right to privacy of medical records, contraception, miscarriages, same sex marriage.  It's a stay out of my intimate life law.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

8 hours ago, TheScorpionKing said:

Almost every state in the Union is allowing concealed carry

in one form or another. 

I personally don't understand what people don't understand about the 2nd Amendment.

The government shall not infringe on the right of the American people to bear arms.

State-by-State Concealed Carry Permit Laws - ProCon.org

The only thing that can stop a BAD guy with a gun, is a GOOD guy with a gun.

I have no idea why people don't understand that. 

Yeah, dude it's called a shoot-out. Vigilante justice is beyond stupid and dangerous. Such a great thing (sarcasm).

And you still need a permit to carry they are talking about no permits no background checks,etc. And possibly open carry. I can see all the ways that will go wrong. After all this IS FLORIDA!

Edited by AngelsSin

11 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

May 2,2020 Report: Draft opinion suggests high court could overturn Roe

“Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” the draft opinion states. It was signed by Justice Samuel Alito, a member of the court’s 6-3 conservative majority who was appointed by former President George W. Bush.

The court is expected to rule on the case before its term ends in late June or early July.

24 states would immediately ban abortion if Roe vs. Wade is overturned. 

And no, those states aren't planning to provide prenatal care, postnatal care, financial relief for hospital bills, increase the number of Safe Haven baby boxes, or have a plan for housing babies given up at birth.

Texas has already been sending children out of state to be fostered for almost a year now. Texas is surrounded by states that have anti-abortion trigger laws that would immediately go into effect if Roe vs. Wade is overturned. New Mexico may be the holdout, but they only have six abortion clinics.

Barricades Quietly Erected Around Supreme Court After Roe Draft Decision Leaks

Twitter: Protesters gathering Monday night outside of the U.S. Supreme Court

Roe vs. Wade isn't just about abortion, it also effects decisions on the right to privacy of medical records, contraception, miscarriages, same sex marriage.  It's a stay out of my intimate life law.

For incredibly personal reasons, this is horrifying. It's a nightmare for many others. It's such an infringement on privacy during a time when we need to fight to keep our private lives just that: private.

The barricades anger me so much because it signifies they knew what they were doing.

I could go on a rant for hours because of this, but I will spare everyone and my own mental health the tirade and choose to speak to those that know of my personal reasons a bit more.

12 minutes ago, holycottoncandy said:

The barricades anger me so much because it signifies they knew what they were doing.

I have questions about that. The draft was leaked, but the barricade was up before the protesters arrived? 

12 minutes ago, holycottoncandy said:

For incredibly personal reasons, this is horrifying. It's a nightmare for many others.

The amount of ignorance shown by lawmakers is absolutely staggering. 

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

12 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

so much this.

this whole thing frustrates me.  they've always known what they were doing :angry:

3 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

The amount of ignorance shown by lawmakers is absolutely staggering. 

if you're not a white Xian male, or lining their pockets, those lawmakers just don't care. :angry:

Edited by trystan