Crisis

American Politics

On 3/29/2021 at 8:15 AM, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

They should have ignored him in 2015-2016. It's too late now. There's no going back to "before Donald Trump," not after he was president for four years. 

Indeed. Like, he's no longer president, and thank god for that, and I'm definitely sick to death of talking and thinking about him, but we can't just let this go, otherwise we'll never learn from this.

On a brighter note, Biden does seem to have some form of New Deal type plan going on. Hopefully it passes, because at first glance it does seem okay.

Posted (edited)

"I heard the governor of South Dakota recently saying, 'this isn't infrastructure -- it's got money for pipes.' Well, we believe that pipes are infrastructure, because you need water to live." - Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg 

Infrastructure is the foundation that makes it possible for Americans to thrive. And what we know is that foundation has been crumbling. We’re still coasting on infrastructure choices that were made in the 1950," he said. "Now’s our chance to make infrastructure choices for the future that are going to serve us well in the 2030s and onto the middle of the century." - Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg 

*insert Mitch McConnell squawking and flapping as a deficit hawk here*

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

Expect loyalty from people who are where they are because they proved they will choose profit and power over everything else?

Then get angry when they prove once again they choose profit and power over everything else in favor of the other side when you're no longer as powerful as you were a few months ago? 

I bet he's now actually as angry as he said he was after the seige on the Capitol.

Too bad. 

GOP not bothering to pretend they're not the MOB now.

The National Republican Congressional Committee says to donors who opt out of recurring monthly donations: “We will have to tell Trump you’re a DEFECTOR.”  The New York Times 

20210407_172935.jpg

The language appears to be an effort by the National Republican Congressional Committee to increase its volume of recurring donations, which are highly lucrative, while invoking former President Donald J. Trump’s popularity with the conservative base. Those donors who do not proactively uncheck the box will have their credit cards billed or bank accounts deducted for donations every month.

2 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

just saw that on Rachel Maddow, and my jaw practically hit the floor on how blatant this fleecing is.

22 minutes ago, Lagie said:

just saw that on Rachel Maddow, and my jaw practically hit the floor on how blatant this fleecing is.

It also hints that they made some compromise with Trump who was sueing over the use of his image and name.

18 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

The National Republican Congressional Committee says to donors who opt out of recurring monthly donations: “We will have to tell Trump you’re a DEFECTOR.”  The New York Times 

20210407_172935.jpg

The language appears to be an effort by the National Republican Congressional Committee to increase its volume of recurring donations, which are highly lucrative, while invoking former President Donald J. Trump’s popularity with the conservative base. Those donors who do not proactively uncheck the box will have their credit cards billed or bank accounts deducted for donations every month.

Is this legal??? It feels so illegal but I also would not be surprised if it wasn't. 🙄

In other news, my Facebook feed has been swimming with the anti-trans bill discourse that went through Alabama recently. I'm so angry. How do these people even function properly? It takes so much cognitive dissonance to outlaw medical treatment for minors. Ugh. Poor kids. 

25 minutes ago, hazeh said:

Is this legal??? It feels so illegal but I also would not be surprised if it wasn't.

If it was different non-politically-connected group, there's no doubt it would considered illegal. But it's political, so it's murky and a case for advanced legal experts to decide.

As for the trans kids, that's simple. It's the belief that hatred for weakness is strength. And that not living up to the idealized cisgendered nuclear family is considered a sign of weakness. And churches declaring Jesus made a New Covenant that wiped out the Old Testament rules... except they teach the Old Testament rules, but only the ones that they agree with. No one goes around asking, "Have you eaten baby goat boiled in its mother's milk?," but that's one of the Commandments in the second set of the Ten Commandments: You shall not eat a baby goat boiled in its mother's milk. No Cream of Capretto soup for you. 

What we've learned in the last five years

There's a lot of Americans who think having cartoonishly villainous leaders is good idea.

That they will enthusiasticly support them no matter what.

That they're big enough fools to think their money and support means they'll be exempt from authoritarian actions.

That seeing other supporters being left stranded, left freezing cold, extreme heat, dark of night, wound up hospitalized, would up in jail, or arrested by the FBI and were abandoned by those leaders with no help or apologies doesn't change their opinion that it won't happen to them.

That they really do feel that they entitled to be considered superior to others just by giving support to that leadership.

That they will blame the victims and not the perpetrators.

That these people are adults.

That there are a lot more of them than we previously thought.

I used to live in Texas.

In Louie Gohmert's district, no less.

I missed a number of things that Texas offers.

But in light of the shenanigans going on since the Covid spread,  it looks like leaving Texas was a better choice than it felt like sometimes.

The “For God & Country Patriots Roundup” event, set for Memorial Day weekend, a huge QAnon conference in Dallas.

"But despite having a speaker lineup stacked with QAnon influencers, the event’s website doesn’t have a single mention of QAnon—and the organizer, John Sabal, claims the event isn’t a QAnon conference.

That claim might hold more weight if the event logo didn't feature a QAnon slogan, or if Sabal weren’t known online as “QAnon John.”

On 4/9/2021 at 7:21 AM, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

What we've learned in the last five years

There's a lot of Americans who think having cartoonishly villainous leaders is good idea.

That they will enthusiasticly support them no matter what.

That they're big enough fools to think their money and support means they'll be exempt from authoritarian actions.

That seeing other supporters being left stranded, left freezing cold, extreme heat, dark of night, wound up hospitalized, would up in jail, or arrested by the FBI and were abandoned by those leaders with no help or apologies doesn't change their opinion that it won't happen to them.

That they really do feel that they entitled to be considered superior to others just by giving support to that leadership.

That they will blame the victims and not the perpetrators.

That these people are adults.

That there are a lot more of them than we previously thought.

I have to agree and want to add one:

I'm related to some of these people.