Crisis

American Politics

Watching the 13 minute video of the Capitol seige (it's not a riot) presented at impeachment hearing.

Two 'brave' guys standing up straight and tall, shoulders back, chest out, both shoving one security guard with their chests (not hands or arms) at the same time while calling him homophobic slurs and one saying, 'We outnumber you a million to one, dude.' 

Crowd: Take the building! Let us in! Join us! There's much more coming! USA! USA! USA!

Trump: "The Constitution says you have to protect our country, and you have to protect the Constitution. You can't vote on fraud. Fraud breaks up everything, doesn't it?  And when you catch someone in fraud,  you're allowed to go by (hesitation) very different rules. So I hope Mike has the courage to do what he has to do." 

(Trump himself voted by fraud if he listed Mar-a-Lago as his residence. It's legally only a resort, not a residence. Trump owns two houses near Mar-a-Lago, but it hasn't been said if they are leased out which means they can't be his home address or if they're just too low class for him to deign to reside in.)

One guy wearing a red devil (costume) mask on the back of his head. 

Mitch McConnell: "We're debating a step that has never been taken in American history."  (What? It's an formal acknowledging of the electoral count which has been done many times. It reminds me of Trump before the attack on protesters in Lafayette Square: "we're going to do something that people haven't seen before.") 

Woman yelling "Our home!" or "Our house!" 

Men being lured up the stairs inside by Officer Eugene Goodman. 

Insurgents repeating 'you're outnumbered. there's a million of us out there,' and "We're listening to Trump - your boss."

Women outside yelling, "Traitor Pence!" in response to Trump's tweet.

Men walking down halls peering into rooms and thumping doors while one at the back chants, "Defend the Constitution." on a bullhorn.

People with American flags wrapped around their shoulders like shawls.

Congress members milling around the chamber while a man in the crowd goes "They're leaving! They're leaving!" then the crowd chanting "Break it down."

Video of them breaking out the glass windows of doors barricaded with wooden chairs. Capitol guard steps out of cover (even though his pointed gun is visible the entire time) and shoots the woman climbing through. Man: Oh! Oh!

Man, holding cell phone, flipping through binder: "There's got to be something in here we can use against these  🤬

scumbags."

Man outside, vehemently: "What we 🤬 need is about 30,000 guns up in here." Man in front of him "Next time."

Mob seizing riot shields from guards. One man turns around, " We need fresh patriots from the front."

Mob packed tight in hallway while the police man trapped in the door screams.

Ends with clip of Trump's video calling the election a fraud.

That's the censored version (leaving out obscene language). The video does call the crowd seiging Capitol 'insurgents'more than once - in white print on black backgrounds in stills inserted throughout the video.

Not shown, Rachel Powell - the lady in the pink hat with the bullhorn directing people where to go when they're inside. Actually none of the 'faces' of the mob like the 'Q-shaman' and the guy with the long beard or the ones with zipties. No shot of any inside the Congressional offices or the flimsy gallows.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

Well, he was acquitted. :( :angry:

No surprise really. I knew all along that the Republicans in the Senate would vote in their own interest, rather than the country's. Still, I am disappointed and disgusted!

10 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Well, he was acquitted. :( :angry:

No surprise really. I knew all along that the Republicans in the Senate would vote in their own interest, rather than the country's. Still, I am disappointed and disgusted!

you're not the only one disappointed and disgusted.  we are too.

the trial may have changed a few minds, but not enough.  the vote was 57-43. :( :angry:

I'm also disappointed, yet not surprised. From the beginning of this impeachment I chose not to pay attention to it since I expected the acquittal, like many others expected I'm sure. Time to continue moving forward though, I don't want to focus on the acquittal and instead want to focus on leaving Trump behind as best we can.

Completely unacceptable. The GOP is set on proving that, like Teflon Don, they can do as they wish, flaunt it in everyone's face, and get away with it. Who has the power to stop them? 

June 2016

Kevin McCarthy: “There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump."

Paul Ryan: “This is an off the record . . . No leaks! . . . All right? This is how we know we’re a real family here.”

A real crime family.

4 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

Time to continue moving forward though, I don't want to focus on the acquittal and instead want to focus on leaving Trump behind as best we can.

If all the media outlets stopped mentioning him amd all got together to never, ever mention him again, do you think he'd self-implode?

2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

If all the media outlets stopped mentioning him amd all got together to never, ever mention him again, do you think he'd self-implode?

good question!

but there's at least three media outlets i can think of that would still mention him....

23 minutes ago, Lagie said:

He explodes more than he implodes.

The GOP has given him permission to continue to try to overturn the election as 'president-in-exile.'

Just my opinion.

Did the Republicans REALLY think they would have been SAFE, if the mob had found them??? They were carrying a noose looking for Pence - what if they had found him and his family?. It totally boggles my mind that even though he declared open season on the Senate, refused to call in help and fueled the flames they still protect him. Well, considering that they believe they're immune to Covid -  maybe I shouldn't be surprised.  But I really hoped.

3 minutes ago, RainDear said:

But I really hoped.

i really did too.  i did.

several of my emails (i get a few, i don't remember where i saw it though - the Hill, Washington Post, one of those, i think) had items that said the republicons won't let him run for pres in 24.  that's only if those republicons actually have a spine.....

14 minutes ago, RainDear said:

Just my opinion.

Did the Republicans REALLY think they would have been SAFE, if the mob had found them??? They were carrying a noose looking for Pence - what if they had found him and his family?. It totally boggles my mind that even though he declared open season on the Senate, refused to call in help and fueled the flames they still protect him. Well, considering that they believe they're immune to Covid -  maybe I shouldn't be surprised.  But I really hoped.

They aren't deep thinkers or into self-reflection. They appear to believe money = IQ and they're rich  because they are smart and smart means not having a moral code you actually live by.  So I believe that they are arrogant enough to believe they are so famous and recognizable that the Stop The Steal insurgents would, of course, recognize them

I bet if you quizzed the Stop The Steal people they couldn't name the House and Senate members that represent their district or identify their district. 

I think most of the Senators who voted to acquit understood who their voter base was and what they wanted. Voting to convict him would gut their chances at winning the next year (though there were a few who aren't looking to run again in 2022, so I admit my reasoning here won't hold for everyone). A noose only has two ends and they want to be on the right end of it. Nevermind that untying it is the real solution, and that capability is entirely in their hands as the lawmakers of this country.

I'm just very glad that they agreed that it's constitutional to convict a president even once they're out of office, because we just very narrowly avoided the timeline where a president could do horrible things in their last few weeks in office and get away with it scott-free because you can't punish them for it. The fact that Mitch McConnell genuinely believed that Trump is guilty but that persecuting a former president is so unconstitutional that he voted to acquit anyway drives me insane. I hate Mitchard, but he is an effective and very successful politician who clearly knows the ins and outs of our lawmaking process, so I can't quite understand why he was wholly willing to just break our government like that. Is he trying to maintain favor with his voter base back in Kentucky? Is he trying to keep the Republican party together (doubt it; that's the whip's job)? ???

27 minutes ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

The fact that Mitch McConnell genuinely believed that Trump is guilty but that persecuting a former president is so unconstitutional that he voted to acquit anyway drives me insane

He lied. He's deceitful and it benefits him to be that way. So much for 'he's so mad at Trump that he refuses to speak to him.'  He's still willing to carry water for him.

No, the thing at stake was if Trump was impeached and barred from ever holding office again, they admit he failed. They admit they failed. They admit their team lost and they are losers, and their fans hate that. Their supporters are looking to be on the team that always wins, no matter how.  If Trump was very publicly punished, the Republicans will start falling like dominoes as well.

20 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

He lied. He's deceitful and it benefits him to be that way. So much for 'he's so mad at Trump that he refuses to speak to him.'  He's still willing to carry water for him.

Fair, fair.  So it seems that he is trying to keep the Republican party together, and maintain the support of their voter base, since a good chunk of Republicans are also Trump loyalists. I think there was something I said a few weeks ago about Trump fans holding the rest of the Republican party hostage, and that would allow Trump and ur-fascists like him to continue to hold sway even now that his presidency is over, and I hate to see it happen before my eyes.

Also, ProPublica released a piece interviewing some officers who were present on 1/6. It seems like Capitol Hill's admin were well aware of the potential threat that the supporters posed, but many of them failed to act. I'm not saying that those police leaders underestimated the danger because the attendees were white conservatives and they themselves were white conservatives, but I'm saying that they absolutely did. The FBI knows the danger of white supremacists, and local police departments know it because race-based hate crimes have been on the rise since 2016:

1. Here
  2. Are
  3. A
  4. Bunch
  5. Of
  6. Sources

So I can't think of any explanation for why they failed to organize at least a bare-minimum response, other than malicious negligence. As the article said, even protests that they know are going to be mild have very strong security responses because this is the American capitol. It's kind of an important building, and it's kind of their policy. I do hope they fire those idiots; it'll be one of the few times corrupt officers actually face consequences.

The thing with white supremacist (whatever they call themselves) is at the very base of things is they want to be humanity's casting directors and get to pick who gets to live in their world. Their list of who is acceptable will always become shorter as they meet their goals.

It's one of those 'looking at life through blinders' things - they think they are friend with other people who agree with their opinions and goals, but they don't/won't see those opinions/goals will also be applied to them even if they're part of the group. Fail and find out they eat their own.

They're all in for The Leopards Eating Faces party, because they blithely assume it'll never be their faces.

"I voted for him (Trump), and he's the one who's doing this. I thought he was going to do good things. He's not hurting the people he needs to be hurting." - Crystal Minton

One of Trump's major goals was to eliminate anyone and any rules that would hold him accountable - even if he directly benefited from those things: His rage at Twitter and Section 230. Mail-in ballots when many republican voters use them. 

November 2019  Donald Trump suggested “getting rid” of federal judges after the courts repeatedly ruled against his controversial policies, according to a senior administration official. This from the man who would have lost everything decades ago if he didn't use the courts to drag things out as long as possible.

The supremacists identify with that 'get rid of anything stopping me' attitude.

Taking idol worship to a whole new level.

I felt like throwing up when I saw that.

lskdjflsdkj WHAT

Like, I love Repubs' collective tastelessness when it comes to depicting Trump in a "positive" light (ie Rambo!Trump flags) and now... this. I really do not see how this is meant to be a retort to those baby/naked/other parodies of Trump that people on the left make. It looks exactly like something a Democrat would use to make fun of him. It's so garish. It's so bilious. It's so Trump. Also, he's insistent that this isn't an idol, or any sort of hero-worship or suggesting any sort of cult of personality, but when has the left ever created golden statues of any of their politicians? Like, I thought we were the ones who were obsessed with identity politics.

"“The fact he’s wearing a suit-and-tie shows he’s a businessman. The red tie represents that he’s a Republican. The shorts show he’s patriotic. The sandals mean he should be retired, living out the golden years on the beach. He’s got a wand in his hand, which symbolizes what Obama said, ‘How are you going to bring all these jobs; have you got some kind of magic wand?'”

He said the statue carries the U.S. Constitution in the right hand to show Trump follows it."

The artist's description of the oh so very subtle symbolism sounds like a 6th grade English project.

----

Oh, also, on a more serious note, I do hope that everyone in Texas affected by their horrid, privatized, deregulated power grid is doing okay. My state has a horribly deregulated power grid too and it's the one thing Texas and us can agree on. IIRC Gov. Abbot is now demanding that all Texas power companies winterize their infrastructure, which is good because these types of extreme weather events are only going to become more common in the future as the polar vortex gets weaker due to climate change. ProPublica did a piece on how the private companies there purposefully decided not to winterize their equipment because power sources going down will make energy prices go up, hence those giant power bills in the thousands of dollars some Texans are getting hit with.

https://www.propublica.org/article/power-companies-get-exactly-what-they-want-how-texas-repeatedly-failed-to-protect-its-power-grid-against-extreme-weather?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Edited by soullessheartofsteel

The sandals mean he should be retired, living out the golden years on the beach. 

They're freaking Roman gladiator sandles (as depicted by Hollywood), not flip flops. And the wand.... seriously? A fairy wand?

It looks almost like it could be a statue of Angus Young from AC/DC in his schoolboy stage outfit...except the artist couldn't remember what the outfit actually looked like and couldn't be bothered to look at photos. 

I think our universe is merging with an alternate cartoon universe... of a cartoon that was rejected by the studio heads as soon as they saw the pilot. 

I'll get that error edited out...eventually. Probably. Hopefully.

Sigh... on a less funny note, I'm starting to get really disappointed by mainstream Democrats again.

1. It's looking like that $15 min wage movement on the relief bill isn't happening because some of the more centrist/right-leaning Dems don't support it. And Biden doesn't want to interfere because he wants the covid bill to pass. I understand why it's happening, and I know it's a bit unreasonable for me to insist that everything be passed at once, right this instant, but the truth is, we wouldn't have needed such a huge relief package if we were all paid better in the first place. People would have more savings, and people would be able to work fewer hours during the pandemic and keep everyone safer. Fewer shifts, fewer evictions, fewer deaths.

2. They're still holding immigrants in those detention facilities. Of course, this is bigger than just the DHS, ICE, and bigger than just one administration, Biden or Trump-- this is a failure of our government as a whole. We failed to hire more judges and lawyers to make sure people actually get their papers processed in a reasonable amount of time, to invest more into our facilities at the border to make sure that everyone who arrives is kept in humane conditions with enough space, privacy, healthcare, and dignity, and to be welcoming to immigrants in the first place, and making the process of gaining citizenship easier.

3. We're still bombing Syria. Again, I know that the situation in the Middle East is complicated and change takes time, but it's too long and too late for all the innocent people dying there. We cannot get involved in other countries' affairs in the name of "promoting democracy" when a foreign country interfering with the governmental process of another is decidedly un-democratic. Also, we can't even figure out how to do it correctly ourselves, so we're not really one to talk when it comes to stopping terrorism or democratic decay. Even in our "better", "fairer" years following WW2, when we were spending a lot of time invading other countries, we had lynching, segregation, Senator McCarthy, HUAC, Nixon/Watergate, and lobotomies for women that had too many opinions. Not very egalitarian, really. Ro Khanna states it perfectly.

"This makes President Biden the seventh consecutive U.S. president to order strikes in the Middle East," Khanna lamented.

"We need to extricate from the Middle East, not escalate. The President should not be taking these actions without seeking explicit authorization instead of relying on broad, outdated [AUMFs]," Khanna said. "I spoke against endless war with Trump, and I will speak out against it when we have a Democratic President."

I've heard a lot of people around me talking about how great it is that things are going "back to normal", but "normal"... honestly sucked. "Normal" is what got us here and going back to old terrors isn't a relief.

8 minutes ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

Sigh... on a less funny note, I'm starting to get really disappointed by mainstream Democrats again.

I've heard a lot of people around me talking about how great it is that things are going "back to normal", but "normal"... honestly sucked. "Normal" is what got us here and going back to old terrors isn't a relief.

Yes, 'normal' is what got us Trump, the attempt to overturn the election, the Capitol attack, and the Republicans acting like bored juvenile deliquents crossed with satirical cartoon villians. They haven't stopped. They're still going strong.

What they want is to go back treating politics as something they can ignore while going about their lives, returning it to entertainment to occupy Nana and Pop-pop. 

The detained immigrants is an thin ice, tread lightly situation. Most are held in private facilities purposefully, so anyone who shows up to change things can be denied admittance as they were before. Ironically, if Trump's terrorbad plan to move detention camps to military bases had happened, it'd be easier to free them. But the military was right to say "No" and "Hell no" to that. 

The problem about the $15/hr, setting aside the two Dems that don't support it, is that it should have never been placed in the Covid Relief bill; it should have been put in a separate bill from the start. It was never going to make it through Budget Reconciliation because Reconciliation is strictly not for major policy changes--which a federal change to minimum wage is. I really hate how there are a LOT of progressives calling for Progressive Senators/Reps to not pass the Relief bill if the $15/hr isn't part of it. I hate this "Either give us A or we will deny B-Z for all American Citizens" behavior from progressives. They know, for a fact, that they do not have the votes to pass $15/hr in a bill on its own and they would rather sabotage Covid Relief (which includes improvements to Unemployment benefits) than admit that. I hate this "if we don't get what we want, then no one gets what they need". It reeks of privilege and childlike temper tantrums. 

I want a livable wage, too. But a wage increase isn't going to do junk for my current unemployed status. It won't even help my dad who's been forced into "retirement" because of disability. I need that covid relief now to cover my next set of bills; the very meager savings I had are all dried up from bills in the last two months. I'm applying for jobs but it's stress-inducing because I have to figure out what's not going to put my immunocompromised parents at risk; which just makes job hunting even more difficult because I'm getting turned down for "not enough experience" in entry-level jobs that could possibly allow me to work from home. 

On the migrant facilities, a lot of progressives (again) are lambasting furnished, heated/AC'd structures that have access to actual healthcare, education, and other services for unaccompanied children in El Paso, Texas. These buildings have real beds and blankets and windows and a large amount of land that children can actually go outside onto. What more was supposed to be done? It feels like they demand the moon and expect to have it in 3 hours or less, completely ignoring the fact that it takes time to locate family members and/or vet sponsors/people who can take the children in. Where are the unaccompanied children supposed to go if not into a humane facility that is keeping them safe, fed, and warm while Texas is/was undergoing freezing temperatures? Are we supposed to just toss them into the arms of every random volunteer without first taking the time to make sure the volunteer checks out? Unaccompanied children are some of the most vulnerable to human trafficking. 

37 minutes ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

We failed to hire more judges and lawyers to make sure people actually get their papers processed in a reasonable amount of time, to invest more into our facilities at the border to make sure that everyone who arrives is kept in humane conditions with enough space

Not a failure. Those were deliberate intentional acts on the part of the Trump administration. They tried to cut the judicial system out of the process. Put hiring freeze on immigration judges, overwhelmed the courts with cases, ignored court orders, moved detainees to keep them from having the support of lawyers, families, caseworkers, doctors. Mistreatment of detainees was also intentional. 

On the migrant facilities, a lot of progressives (again) are lambasting furnished, heated/AC'd structures that have access to actual healthcare, education, and other services for unaccompanied children in El Paso, Texas. These buildings have real beds and blankets and windows and a large amount of land that children can actually go outside onto. 

Jun 5, 2019 Trump administration cancels English classes, soccer, legal aid for unaccompanied child migrants in U.S. shelters

June 05, 2019 The Trump administration is cancelling English lessons, legal aid and other vital services for unaccompanied migrant children in US custody.

@Long_Before_Sunrise You should check this year, not 2019
Feb 25th

These are being put together during a time of emergency, to follow COVID restrictions and keep unaccompanied children safe.

Edited by ValidEmotions