Crisis

American Politics

she IS scary, and i'm kinda impressed the McConnell said what he did. but, like the moniker one of my state senators has ("Too Late Toomey"), McConnell is also too late in calling this cr@p out.  i mean, it's good that he did, but it should have been done earlier, and she shouldn't have been elected in the first place.

as for trump's legal team, he's got two new guys, one of them represented Roger Stone, and the other declined to prosecute Bill Cosby after charges were brought against him in 2005.  yeesh.  https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/31/politics/trump-new-lawyers/index.html

One is linked to Epstein, too.

McConnell is just throwing people under the bus to boost his reputation.

Like him saying he took Kushner's word for what Trump was doing.

First of all, who's the old man with glases in photo after photo, video after video, standing by or behind Trump? He looks exactly like Mitch McConnell.

Second, who listens to Kushner, the slumlord of disaster?

But but but Kushner has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize....

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But but but Kushner has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize....

bwhahahahaha

*snorts my tea*

*ahem*

i'm good. XD

About everybody can be nominated for the Nobel Peace Price. The nominations are not endorsed by the Nobel Price committee after all.

"[He was] nominated by American attorney Alan Dershowitz, who was eligible to do so in his capacity as a professor emeritus of Harvard Law School. Dershowitz defended Trump in his first impeachment trial last year and told the Wall Street Journal on 20 January that the Senate should dismiss the article of impeachment against the former president, as he was no longer in office. "

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/01/jared-kushner-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize

yeah, i get that, but....

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

American attorney Alan Dershowitz, ..... told the Wall Street Journal on 20 January that the Senate should dismiss the article of impeachment against the former president, as he was no longer in office. "

again, bwhahahahaha!

the trump defense team this time around is trying to argue semantics. ugh.

while i really HOPE he's never allowed to run for office anywhere ever again, i don't think that's going to happen.

the other thing is, if trump is allowed to run for office, even president in 2024, none of the other republicon hopefuls will ever get a chance to run - they'll get run over by the trump steamroller.

(^just my opinions, is all.)

Marjorie Taylor Greene

GOP: Just look at this mess we've created. Come clean it up.

Democrats: No.

GOP: What? No. You have to.

Democrats: You created it. It's yours. Own it.

GOP: That's not how this works!  

19 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene

GOP: Just look at this mess we've created. Come clean it up.

Democrats: No.

GOP: What? No. You have to.

Democrats: You created it. It's yours. Own it.

GOP: That's not how this works!  

Possibly the same script with Trump.

I think a lot of Republicans would be happy to see him barred from ever holding public office again, but they are too AFRAID of him to do anything about it.

So it is almost a sure thing that his Senate trial will be a sham and he will be acquitted again.

The Republicans like to wait for someone else to tell them how to respond ('personal responsibility' is pointing the finger of blame, not intended for actual life applications) and the plan is usually "doubledown."

On 2/3/2021 at 10:38 PM, trystan said:

yeah, i get that, but....

again, bwhahahahaha!

the trump defense team this time around is trying to argue semantics. ugh.

while i really HOPE he's never allowed to run for office anywhere ever again, i don't think that's going to happen.

the other thing is, if trump is allowed to run for office, even president in 2024, none of the other republicon hopefuls will ever get a chance to run - they'll get run over by the trump steamroller.

(^just my opinions, is all.)

If he is convicted in his financial trials he will be a felon - and that rules him out anyway. Don't give up hope ! (the one to be scared of is Ivanka - whose "promising political career" is on the way up. She genuinely believes this....)

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If he is convicted in his financial trials he will be a felon - and that rules him out anyway. Don't give up hope ! (the one to be scared of is Ivanka - whose "promising political career" is on the way up. She genuinely believes this....)

Of course, she does. She's the Golden Child of a narcissist, married to another narcissist, and her greatest skills involve manipulating inflated fragile egos.  She's Cruella disguised as Barbie. 

However, those manipulation skills are honed for people in the same room that she can beam sunshine directly at, not for reaching people who are watching her on a screen and see how flat and lifeless her eyes are. She doesn't twinkle and sparkle during public speaking.

8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I think a lot of Republicans would be happy to see him barred from ever holding public office again, but they are too AFRAID of him to do anything about it.

So it is almost a sure thing that his Senate trial will be a sham and he will be acquitted again.

so much this.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If he is convicted in his financial trials he will be a felon - and that rules him out anyway. Don't give up hope!

exactly - one can always hope he becomes a convicted felon!

also, this \/

139690495_10225215031591810_1326916882865986734_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=9fCw2O9KmI4AX-GaUHK&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=c094948da70c99485f93e2d62fc4529d&oe=6042B664

On 2/5/2021 at 6:04 PM, trystan said:

also, this \/

139690495_10225215031591810_1326916882865986734_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=9fCw2O9KmI4AX-GaUHK&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=c094948da70c99485f93e2d62fc4529d&oe=6042B664

Very true. 

The Republican mantra of 'personal responsibility' means something entirely different than accountability. 'Personal responsibility' is a finger pointed in blame, saying 'No one should help you. Do it yourself by yourself. Come back when you're an exploitable asset, not a loser.' 

43 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

GOP Rapidly Morphing Into GQP With Strong Support for Greene

An official statement from Nancy Pelosi, not a headline.

... Yikes. What is the point of having the power to strip unfit Congressional members of their abilities if no one has the will to actually do it? Like, I'm glad that the hammer is coming down hard on the people who participated in the Beer Hall Putsch 2.0, and that deradicalization support orgs are having a moment helping blossoming white supremacists see sense, but the ones in official positions are the most dangerous. Not getting rid of them first is going to make the process of dragging American discourse between saner goalposts much more difficult.

My family is from Poland, and I grew up learning about the warning signs they had missed and what to be prepared for. It's interesting to see that so many fear Trump. For many people who have actually survived living under a tyrannical government, Trump was seen as a beacon of hope. Now that Time magazine posted an article admitting to having rigged the election, I am hoping Biden supporters and/or Trump haters will do more research and reevaluate their opinions. There are many warning signs and red flags to be on the lookout for when it comes to a country slipping into unsavory politics, but there is one obvious one that should be clear to anyone, and is so obvious it has almost become a cliché: in order to spot the tyrant, look to those who are being censored, and see who is censoring them.

With this "election," America has gotten itself into a very bad position. Good luck to us all.

17 hours ago, Goslander said:

For many people who have actually survived living under a tyrannical government, Trump was seen as a beacon of hope.

You're not the only one whose family lived under a tyrannical government and there are people who lived under one that does not like Trump-that does not mean that they're less cautious or that they're ignorant, jsyk.

Found the article I think@Goslander  is referring to, BUT it does NOT say what he thinks it did.

https://time.com/5936036/secret-2020-election-campaign/

"The handshake between business and labor was just one component of a vast, cross-partisan campaign to protect the election–an extraordinary shadow effort dedicated not to winning the vote but to ensuring it would be free and fair, credible and uncorrupted. For more than a year, a loosely organized coalition of operatives scrambled to shore up America’s institutions as they came under simultaneous attack from a remorseless pandemic and an autocratically inclined President. Though much of this activity took place on the left, it was separate from the Biden campaign and crossed ideological lines, with crucial contributions by nonpartisan and conservative actors. The scenario the shadow campaigners were desperate to stop was not a Trump victory. It was an election so calamitous that no result could be discerned at all, a failure of the central act of democratic self-governance that has been a hallmark of America since its founding."

thanks @JaneMcAsh.

this seems like an article that might need to be deconstructed a LOT.  i know pretty much nothing about how the entire election system works, so this is almost like technobabble. XD 

but i do know that the republicons in many states passed voting changes to try to make it more difficult on election day - i know that in PA those republicons in Harrisburg were the reasons that mail-in ballots couldn't even start to be counted until the polls closed.

edit: reading it further, you're right, in that it doesn't say that the election was rigged for Biden.  it says these people did all that they could to ensure that it was a fair election.

Edited by trystan

19 minutes ago, trystan said:

it says these people did all that they could to ensure that it was a fair election.

That's how I read it, too, once past the technobabble.

The Washington Post  reported "that DeJoy—a Republican megadonor to former President Donald Trump—soon intends to "outline a new vision for the agency, one that includes more service cuts, higher and region-specific pricing, and lower delivery expectations."

Remember:

Trump - stop mail-in ballots

DeJoy - destroy a business rival 

22 hours ago, Goslander said:

There are many warning signs and red flags to be on the lookout for when it comes to a country slipping into unsavory politics, but there is one obvious one that should be clear to anyone, and is so obvious it has almost become a cliché: in order to spot the tyrant, look to those who are being censored, and see who is censoring them.

Who is being censored?

@Goslander Deregulating food and environmental protections, stripping immigrants of their rights, cutting taxes for the rich once more, fumbling a pandemic response, and destablilizing established bureaus and admins by constantly hiring and firing people, and encouraging an insurrection on the capitol when it was apparent he lost the election, does not sound particularly hopeful, especially to those of us in the USA who actually lived under his administration. I, personally, don't love Joe Biden-- like most mainstream Democrats, he's hesitant to pursue further left policies like universal basic income and dismantling (or at least reforming) our current police system. But I don't think he's a dictator or that he stole the election. He's just like every mainstream Democrat before him, at the ranks of Obama and Clinton. He's utterly milquetoast. The rhetoric from the far right that the Democrat party, which is so centrist it hesitated to even consider championing raising the minimum wage, is a communist authoritarian party, is extremely concerning because really, it's not the Democrats that changed position, it's the right wing that moved, following the rise of the Tea Party in the 00s after Obama got elected.

I understand Poland was a Soviet state at one point in its history. My family is also from a country that's had issues with communist authoritarianism, just from China, not Russia. And I know a lot of people who lived through it get a bad taste in their mouths at leftist rhetoric, even anarcho-left stuff, and it's a fair reaction because the USSR was a mess. But just because the authoritarian left is bad doesn't mean the authoritarian right is good. We're in a recession, the rich continue to get richer, and half a million people are dead. A conspiracy theory from 4Chan claiming that the Democratic party is a Satanic, pedophilic cabal that Trump was supposedly going to execute en-masse is now mainstream and we have elected members of Congress who believe it. Trump is a strongman just like Stalin, incompetent like Mussolini, and deranged like Hitler.

I'm also aware that there's currently some political turmoil in Poland related to a rise in right-wing rhetoric, like the near-total ban on abortion, trying to ban Kosher and Halal meat, creating "LGBT-free zones", and this rather concerning court case. Is restricting women's reproductive rights, attempting to eradicate those with different sexualities, and claiming that academic research is libel somehow not censorship? I don't mean to condescend, but if Poland suffered under a totalitarian regime for so long and pays such close attention to US politics, it should know better than to admire Trump. We just showed you where that would take us. Don't do what we did.

If you want reading on warning signs, I recommend The Origins of Totalitarianism by Hannah Arendt, published 1951. It criticizes both Stalinism and Nazism, if you're worried about any sort of left-wing bias. Let me know if you want sources on anything I've said here.

Edited by soullessheartofsteel