Crisis

American Politics

^that's a human being! might not even be someone who lives in the Americas :) 

2 hours ago, trystan said:

^that's a human being! might not even be someone who lives in the Americas :) 

Could be a pirate, even. ;)

I wish I had a TV to watch on Wednesday. 

2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Could be a pirate, even. ;)

pirates are humans, yes?

my plan is to listen to my NPR station, and i know my boss is going to ask me "what's with the talking? where's the music?" i know she'll know what it is.  she won't say it though.  my boss is.... weird. XD 

Enjoy! My CD player at work is just that. No radio, no nothing else, and on the phone video gobbles data so that's not an option, either, alas.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:16 AM, ValidEmotions said:

Complacency is just as bad as committing the abuse. Complacency is condoning the behavior. It's how abusers get away with repeated abuse. Because of the complacency and condoning of bystanders.

You hit the nail on the head with this. I also really liked your rebuttal of Suzan's post.

@Astreya Love that x-ray question! As an ambulance volunteer, I do not care where a person is from, if they are hurting and I am called to respond, I will do my best to help them. It's basic humanity - something supremacists appear to be lacking.

I am soooo looking forward to Wednesday and praying for peace!

7 minutes ago, Awdz Bodkins said:

Love that x-ray question!

I have to admit I shamelessly stole the idea from "In aller Freundschaft - die jungen Ärzte" (sort of a German version of "Grey's Anatomy"), where in last Thursday's episode a young surgeon of colour faced off a white racist with pretty much this question.

@Suzan, I'm a 2nd gen immigrant, both of my parents came from another nation and are trying just as hard as anyone else to make it in the USA. We are not mindless baby-pushing pests, we are not terrorists, and we are not thugs. Assuming you aren't Native, your ancestors were immigrants, too. Would you tell your great-great grandparents what you just said?

I don't know if you're religious, but I don't have to believe in God to understand that what you say and think about fellow human beings is very cruel. America is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, we are home to millions of acres of farmland, hundreds of medical companies that base their operations here, and thousands upon thousands of hospitals to give sick people the care they need. Why shouldn't we share this great gift with others who are starving and poor? Does it not say in our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence that every human being deserves life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

If you're looking for someone to blame, blame those who keep cutting taxes on the rich, and reducing funding for schools, Social Security, infrastructure, and the healthcare system. Common people, citizen and alien alike, are starved of the wealth we create with our labor and then pay with our taxes. Undocumented immigrants cannot vote and do not decide the policies our leaders create, citizens do.

Please reconsider your stances on immigrants. The world is so much more beautiful when we don't fear each other.

Since everyone else already said it better than I have, I won't pile on, but I will say I believe I have found one of your news sources, Suzan, though you still adamantly refuse to back up any of your claims with sources. Fox News has returned to the "migrant caravans spotted headed to the U.S." drivel now that a Democratic administration is coming. The last time they tried that fear-mongering tactic was the 2018 midterm elections. I won't link to them since they are not a reputable news source, but please feel free to prove me wrong, Suzan, if you get your news from somewhere else.

This all reminds me of the terrifying statement I once saw on another forum.

"I watch Fox News so I know I get the truth."

The thread died for almost two days while everyone else there tried to breathe....

Even Rupert Murdoch's son says it is partly responsible for the storming of the Capitol.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/16/james-murdoch-says-us-media-lies-unleashed-insidious-forces

Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. Stay safe over there, everyone.

once upon a time, back in december i think it was, my younger daughter had mentioned a possibility of going to DC with a friend to see the historic inauguration during a global pandemic.  i commented yesterday that it was kinda good that she wasn't going to be going tomorrow, and she whole-heartedly agreed with me.

also, 24 hours and 35 minutes!

I can't wait. Hoping there won't be any drama tomorrow, but won't be surprised if there is. Just glad that after tomorrow most of it will be past us and looking forward to Biden/Harris getting things in order!

9 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

Hoping there won't be any drama tomorrow, but won't be surprised if there is.

exactly.

hubby mentioned this the other day - election fraud misinformation has been down about 70% since trump was kicked from twitter.

https://www.vox.com/2021/1/16/22234971/trump-twitter-facebook-social-media-ban-election-misinformation-zignal

oh - 73%. heh.

But the boogaloo boys are still out there...

well, true. 

but i think it shows that trump was the main source of misinformation.

Trump might very well be the main source of misinformation but his cronies still can put it out and other people still parrot that B.S. so it is still circulating.

Sigh..I remember the days when you couldn't get away with putting untrue info out there to the American people, without getting in trouble and possible lawsuits. Or is my memory faulty and I'm remembering wrong?

Edited by AngelsSin

souless, I'm old. I've been told off before you were born. Apparently, from what I did NOT read'/ obviously you don't get it. I made a comparison between me and her to understand that People are all the same. For me, In my soul, KNOW that Jesus Christ died for all people. She believs in God, and she knows all the stuff I do. She's had her babies. She like me has aches and pains. We stole this country in the first place ourselves. America is home to all, races  and religions. We don't own this land. But... I see both sides. It's not fair to anyone. I came from a military family My dad and uncles and husband  fought and died to prtotect our freedom . So if you're so inclined to feel free to say your mind and worship God however you want.  YOU'RE WELCOME 

6 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

Sigh..I remember the days when you couldn't get away with putting untrue info out there to the American people, without getting in trouble and possible lawsuits. Or is my memory faulty and I'm remembering wrong?

i remember those days too... you're not remembering wrong.

although they were a lifetime ago, it seems!

as i just send in an email to a friend of mine, i do hope those 23 hours are quite boring

It'll be an interesting time for me because tomorrow is my 27th birthday so... Might find a livestream of the Inauguration but it mostly depends on if my household enjoys lunch together in the dining room or something. 

39 minutes ago, Suzan said:

souless, I'm old. I've been told off before you were born. Apparently, from what I did NOT read'/ obviously you don't get it. I made a comparison between me and her to understand that People are all the same. For me, In my soul, KNOW that Jesus Christ died for all people. She believs in God, and she knows all the stuff I do. She's had her babies. She like me has aches and pains. We stole this country in the first place ourselves. America is home to all, races  and religions. We don't own this land. But... I see both sides. It's not fair to anyone. I came from a military family My dad and uncles and husband  fought and died to prtotect our freedom . So if you're so inclined to feel free to say your mind and worship God however you want.  YOU'RE WELCOME 

This??? Doesn't make a lot of sense???
Who is this 'she' you're talking about??? What did you "NOT" read and what did soulless not get? 

You made zero comparisons about anyone or anything to 'understand that People are all the same'. 

And, are you presumptuously assuming people are thanking you for the service to the country that the men in your life has done? Not the service that you did (since you apparently haven't served in the military by how you omitted yourself)?

You can't boast about "seeing both sides" and how "we don't own this land" when you're treating immigrants like trash. 

Edited by ValidEmotions

@Suzan

none of that makes your post any less racist. Frankly I was appalled. But maybe your so old you no longer give a crap that it was. However old you are doesn't excuse that and you are never too old to learn better

Edited by AngelsSin