Jump to content
Crisis

American Politics

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

It is interesting to see big corporations withdrawing financial support from those who voted to reject the EC. I wonder if it is just a public relations stunt that will go away after people forget about it, or if they really mean it.

Yeah I'm... not holding my breath.

We have too many big corporations (Chick-Fil-A, Hobby Lobby, and In-N-Out come immediately to my mind) that have supported and donated/funded way too many terrible and dangerous groups (Salvation Army, conversion therapy, blocking women's health care, etc.) for me to have any confidence in them making any true change for the better of human rights. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

It is interesting to see big corporations withdrawing financial support from those who voted to reject the EC. I wonder if it is just a public relations stunt that will go away after people forget about it, or if they really mean it.

It would be nice if they really did.

 

 8

Share this post


Link to post

Time will tell, but I'm not convinced. :(

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, purplehaze said:

It is interesting to see big corporations withdrawing financial support from those who voted to reject the EC. I wonder if it is just a public relations stunt that will go away after people forget about it, or if they really mean it.

Some of both. They really mean it, because the overthrow of the government is now a bigger threat to their operations than anything the Democrats said they would attempt to do. Trump having so many regulations removed or trying to have them removed has put them on shaky ground, not secure footing, not to mention the tariffs. But they will go back to paying politicians after people feel secure again... but when that'll be, depends on the sedition being crushed.

Share this post


Link to post

Trump's main bank has given up on him. That has to be good.

 

Quote

The Trump Organization, fronted by his two older sons, owes the bank about $340m in outstanding loans. After a series of bankruptcies in the 1990s, it was the only bank willing to give Trump money.

 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/12/deutsche-bank-severs-ties-with-donald-trump

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Awdz Bodkins said:

image.png.5c7bf3cb5cf26eb43bb56433b6366b45.png

Yay!

 

7

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, trystan said:

are we there yet?

Almost.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Almost.

awesome!

 

i listened to some of the impeachment debate in the House today.  i usually have the classical station on at work, but i wanted to hear the debates, so i had on my local NPR.  boss comes in and asks where the music is, she's not used to the talking.  (i ought to point out that boss is a retrumplican.)  so i did put the music back on.  but then i was listening a little later on my way home.  there's a republicon on the radio saying something along the lines of "when a House democrat incites violence, no one says anything, but if it's a House republican... " and "when a House democrat [does something else questionable, but i forget what], no one says anything, but if it's a House republican... " and i'm talking to the radio, "who are you talking about? what are their names?"... the projection was strong with that one.

Share this post


Link to post

Then there was the orange dude and his live scripted speech today. I tuned much of it out... but was he really dissing the internet platforms that had banned him?

Share this post


Link to post

i saw a piece here and there.  he condemned the violence and the riot at the Capitol last week.  where was that speech last week?  and did he really mean those words he said? (probably not.)

Share this post


Link to post

If it's scripted for him, it doesn't count so far as meaning it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Lagie said:

If it's scripted for him, it doesn't count so far as meaning it goes.

i completely agree with this.  and it looks like he was teleprompter trump for the speech, too.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, trystan said:

i saw a piece here and there.  he condemned the violence and the riot at the Capitol last week.  where was that speech last week?  and did he really mean those words he said? (probably not.)

 

It was a poor attempt at absolving himself of legal responsibility, and definitely scripted.

I say he managed to make things worse. He disowned his supporters. As enraged as they are, this won't calm them down. He's thrown water on a grease fire.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise
I really am trying to use the word 'just' less.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

I say he managed to make things worse. He disowned his supporters. As enraged as they are, this won't calm them down. He's thrown water on a grease fire.

i agree with this sentiment as well.

Share this post


Link to post

As exciting as witnessing the only president to ever be impeached twice happen was, I'm Quite Tired of living during historical events.

Share this post


Link to post

His youtube channel has now been blocked :) That's something (he was inciting violence on it.)

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

His youtube channel has now been blocked :) That's something (he was inciting violence on it.)

Took them all long enough.

 

6

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, TacticianLyra said:

As exciting as witnessing the only president to ever be impeached twice happen was, I'm Quite Tired of living during historical events.

i completely agree.

May you live in interesting times.

no thank you!

 

https://www.liveyourmessage.com/3-chinese-curses-shifting-perspective-towards-misfortunehardship

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/may-you-live-in-interesting-times.html

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Lagie said:

Took them all long enough.

 

6

I gather it was a new one he had set up specially...

Share this post


Link to post

Now trending: Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner wouldn't let the Secret Service use the bathrooms in their house and they have 6.5 bathrooms. First they put port-a-potty on the sidewalk. Then the agents "forced to relieve themselves at a bathroom in former President Barack Obama's garage nearby, at the vice president's compound " or a nearby business. Finally, they wound up renting an $3000/month apartment for the agents. Cost to taxpayers: Around 100k.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Now trending: Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner wouldn't let the Secret Service use the bathrooms in their house and they have 6.5 bathrooms. First they put port-a-potty on the sidewalk. Then the agents "forced to relieve themselves at a bathroom in former President Barack Obama's garage nearby, at the vice president's compound " or a nearby business. Finally, they wound up renting an $3000/month apartment for the agents. Cost to taxpayers: Around 100k.

entitled much?

wow.

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, trystan said:

entitled much?

wow.

It was common knowledge that they were horrible human beings, but - Yikes! - this is a whole new level. 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

It was common knowledge that they were horrible human beings, but - Yikes! - this is a whole new level. 

well, yes.  and yes, this is a whole new level of horrible.  i did see something somewhere (in all my emails) about a $3000 bathroom. *sigh*

Share this post


Link to post