Crisis

American Politics

The terms do not need to be consecutive. There is nothing that says they have to be back to back just that they can only be president for two terms. In fact we have had an non consecutive president in Grover Cleveland he was the 22nd and 24th President of the U.S.

Edited by AngelsSin

56 minutes ago, Astreya said:

As for the Electoral Vote - I think I read somewhere that last time there were a few of the electors not voting according to the results of their States. IIRC there was a court ruling a short while ago that this time they should be forced to vote according to the result of there state. My question is - how can this be actually enforced? Is it an open vote?

a stiff fine... it's mentioned in here: Supreme Court rules electoral college representatives must honor choice of state’s voters.  there's a quote in there:

[the] ruling upholds a $1,000 fine against Peter Chiafalo, one of three Washington state electors who cast their ballots for Colin Powell rather than for Democrat Hillary Clinton, who won the state’s popular vote.

but there's also this:

In nearly every election, there are a handful of “faithless electors” who ignore their commitment and cast a vote different from their state’s voters. But these stray votes have been ignored and never made any difference in the outcome.

also~

22 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Is it even possible that a President can run again after he was voted out? Or can the 2-term-limit be spread out that he runs again bbut can't be re-elected then? Or can he be re-elected if he runs again after such a break? *curious*

as AngelsSin says, yep!  Grover Cleveland is the only president to have two terms that aren't back to back.

however, with all the litigation trump has against him, who knows if he'd even be able to run again.  and, having been impeached by the House, it's really frustrating that the Senate allows all his BS to continue. *sigh*

@AngelsSin

@trystan

Thank you very much for the explanations! Frankly, I find US politics very alien at times.

And they consider 1000 UD a "stiff fine"? I bet quite some politicians with quite some money would pay that from the "Portokasse" (= "petty cash chest"?) as we'd say in German. And with the Electors being so close in numbers, I can see that one or the other might be bought. But if they'd be ignored in the end, then that wouldn't have such an impact after all, I guess.

2 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

The way things are looking Biden is gonna win. Not Trump. He can try every which way he wants but it won't change that he is gonna lose. Yes it's seriously disappointing that it is as close as it is. But at least the chance right now of him winning is extremely slim. 

This sums it up perfectly. Trump is now suing multiple states trying to stop them from counting, including Nevada (tossed out real quick), Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Georgia. I never thought I would see Arizona vote for a Democratic president in my lifetime, but it warmed my heart to see that state flip. Biden is beating Trump the way Trump beat Hillary in 2016, it's good to see. By the way military ballots are among the ballots that might get tossed if Trump gets his way and halts counting of mail-in ballots. I guess Trump doesn't really love the military as much as he says he does, and his viewpoint is more aligned with the "suckers and losers" disparaging comments he made about them before the election.

Trump will also have an uphill battle should he bring this to the Supreme Court. This isn't the 2000 election, the voting margin is much wider this time around.

One thing more - if a president is voted out in November, he still occupies the White House until January, right?

How much power does he still have in these two months? Could he, say, start a war or whatever? Or does he have to exercise restraint in his policy decisions during that time?

9 minutes ago, Astreya said:

One thing more - if a president is voted out in November, he still occupies the White House until January, right?

How much power does he still have in these two months? Could he, say, start a war or whatever? Or does he have to exercise restraint in his policy decisions during that time?

there's nothing stopping him from doing anything.

hoping Biden continues his momentum and wins, this will be a very scary time, not knowing what havoc trump might wreak.

I read this today on Bloomberg and it made me laugh: “There will be lawsuits,” Justin Levitt, who teaches constitutional law at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said in an email. “It’s just that a lawsuit without provable facts showing a statutory or constitutional violation is just a Tweet with a filing fee.”

24 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Trump will also have an uphill battle should he bring this to the Supreme Court. This isn't the 2000 election, the voting margin is much wider this time around.

It's much more complicated because each state has their own court system and their state Supreme Courts it has to go through all that before it gets to the U.S Supreme Court which is the last stop and I believe they aren't supposed to have a say in the way things run in the election of the states. Although I might be wrong about that.

And if he has to pay for that well that is a lot of money he would have to dish out and supposedly he is more in debt than has money to throw around unless he wants to sell off some of his estates and things unless the Republicans are willing to pay for all that which I don't believe will happen unless they think he has a chance to win those cases.

52 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

And if he has to pay for that well that is a lot of money he would have to dish out and supposedly he is more in debt than has money to throw around unless he wants to sell off some of his estates and things unless the Republicans are willing to pay for all that which I don't believe will happen unless they think he has a chance to win those cases.

Well, didn't he declare bankruptcy for a couple of times already and let others pay for it? Thus bankrupting the Republican Party would sound just like his modus operandi ^^

21 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Well, didn't he declare bankruptcy for a couple of times already and let others pay for it? Thus bankrupting the Republican Party would sound just like his modus operandi ^^

yes he did, and yes it is.  he's running the country like his business..... and he's bankrupting the US - i mean, he's already morally bankrupt, too. *sigh*

From what I understand the Republican National Committee is now trying to raise money (because his campaign was already bankrupt) to fight for him. :wacko:

Incidentally the Biden campaign is also fundraising for a legal battle.

Edited by purplehaze

i listen to my local station that carries NPR, and in the mornings they have a BBC news hour.  and there was a republicon dude talking about how there's supposed to be people from both parties counting the votes, to make sure it's fair.  this guy said that somewhere in Georgia the other night everyone was told to go home, they would come back in the morning and start counting again. so the republicans went home... come to find out that the dems stayed there, counting the votes with no oversight.

this was all a lead-up to this guy saying that when trump tweets "stop the count!" he really means "stop the count until there's bipartisan vote counters there to count the votes."

pretty sure that's NOT what trump means.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true what the guy said . CNN was covering it last night (as in constant coverage) and everyone had left. There was a crowd of Trump supporters outside the building yelling and chanting and singing YMCA it think it was.

Edited by AngelsSin

7 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I'm pretty sure that isn't true what the guy said .

i'm pretty sure that guy was full of it....

Yes I was watching what was going on in that location last night and while I didn't actually see everyone leave I do know that they were told everyone was leaving for the night while everyone was still in the building and there was concern about them leaving cause of the crowd. And it was reported that everyone left. I have no reason to doubt the reporting of CNN they despite what Trump supporters would have you believe are fair and accurate.

24 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

I have no reason to doubt the reporting of CNN they despite what Trump supporters would have you believe are fair and accurate.

oh i too agree with CNN and MSNBC and the BBC and NPR.

most trump supporters (and trump) aren't quite sure what fair and accurate means either, so there's that.

Trump supporters think anything that doesn't come from Trump's mouth is fake news.

4 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Trump supporters think anything that doesn't come from Trump's mouth is fake news.

unfortunately, i agree with this.

yikes

I'm just watching Mr.Trump's statement live on TV. Is there even one sentence in his statement that isn't an outrageous whiny lie? (I know, it's a rhetoric question...)

Edited by Astreya

i've seen in a few places people have said people should just figured anything trump says is a lie.... unless it's miraculously not XD 

Biden is up in Georgia and PA. i don't have a link, but you can google "2020 election results"

eh, kinda.  he needs to get 270 electoral votes.

he has 253 (unless you're looking at the AP results, then he has 264, but ignore that for now) - so if he keeps PA, he has 273, and that's enough.  

i'll have to do the math after dinner to see which states he needs if he doesn't keep PA.

ok, edit (not exact numbers, but...):  if he doesn't keep PA, he would need two of GA, NV, AZ to also get to the 270.

if he only gets GA, then it would be tied at 269 votes for both, and then (after the chaos), the new House in january 2020 would decided the winner.

my hope is Biden keeps PA, and that's what it looks like should happen.

Edited by trystan

2 hours ago, trystan said:

he has 253 (unless you're looking at the AP results, then he has 264, but ignore that for now)

That's the one I found on google; why is the AP reporting 264 then?