Crisis

American Politics

Yes, I had heard that about Merkel.  It's a shame she's not continuing on.  She is a good leader.  She's been in for about 12 years hasn't she?

Edited by Classycal

24 minutes ago, Classycal said:

Yes, I had heard that about Merkel.  It's a Shane she's not continuing on.  She is a good leader.  She's been in for about 12 years hasn't she?

More like 15, it will be 16 by the time she leaves office. Four full terms.

Also, her leadership qualities are so-so. Yes, she'smostly  good for Europe - but she's better for Europe than she's for Germany, if you catch my drift.

Edited by olympe

11 minutes ago, olympe said:

More like 15, it will be 16 by the time she leaves office. Four full terms.

Also, her leadership qualities are so-so. Yes, she'smostly  good for Europe - but she's better for Europe than she's for Germany, if you catch my drift.

Yes, I get it.  

I think having age limits for the presidency is good. I am of two minds of it though, you have someone like RBG who was sharp up until the day she died. But I know she's likely the exception not the rule. So I side with age limits cause I know it's better to be safe than sorry.

I agree it's not good to have these presidents who are so old being elected. They do come from a different era and mind set than the average person nowadays.

I think Biden is a good person that being said no I'm not overly enthusiastic about him but he's the best we got to chose from. He is sure as hell is better than Trump on every level.

I'm getting tired though with people trying to say Biden has some mental issue because he pauses,etc he has a stutter that is yes going to affect his speaking. It means his mind is moving faster than his mouth. So if he pauses, jumbles what he says or has to go back through what he says to pick up were his mouth left off, I think a little understanding for that is in order.

It's a bad image to the kids growing up with a stutter seeing a presidential candidate and the former VP to be mocked or insulted cause of his stuttering issues, and having it tied to his mental competency. If there were any other symptoms of that then I would be worried with everyone else. My grandma had dementia so I know what to look for. I'm sure some among you have had family who had dementia as well. The only one IMO who fits the bill is Trump.

5 hours ago, spatio said:

But, I could never in good faith vote for a party that's anti-environment (because it's nice not having cancer), anti-LGBT+ rights, anti-abortion, and, essentially, pro-theocracy.  Really hoping Biden wins this one.

i agree with this

2 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

to be mocked or insulted cause of his stuttering issues, and having it tied to his mental competency.

I've seen people with a medium progress level of dementia who didn't stutter, and most people don't until they're close to losing their speech altogether. *shrugs* 

What you can notice is that their use of language goes down, sometimes rapidly. They speak less of their own accord, and when they do, they resort to the same common phrases over and over. And if you aks them for something specific - like what they had for dinner yesterday - they won't be able to give you a correct answer. The most likely answer is something like "The usual, you know?". No specifics, just something to cover up their lack of memory.

This, however, does not mean that all people with dementia lack a will of their own, quite the contrary. 

That being said, I'm just now watching a cut of the highlights of the 2nd presidential debate, and noticed something. Most of the time, Trumps facial expressions are... lacking. There just isn't much to see. Also his hand gestures, they're usually restricted to a small number of mostly slow gestures. But when the point about "foreign entanglements" came up, Trump was way, way more animated, but in a way that makes him seem really, really nervous. At least as long as he's talking about his bank account in China. This changes abruptly when he goes back to blaming Hunter and Joe Biden again. I really think that this bank account (which, apparently, isn't closed as Trump claimed) should be investigated a bit more in-depth.

Edited by olympe

@olympe

My grandma never stuttered, but she did however mix peoples names up. She had done that for a long time before she developed dementia.  I know not every dementia patient has the same symptoms as with many diseases there are always a variety of symptoms. But when you have a loved one who has a disease you do tend to educate yourself on the issues that might arise.

Despite Biden's issue connected to his stuttering I find him much more clear headed even when his words get rushed and he jumps a bit forward skipping things he meant to say. I understand what happens when I see it so I don't jump to conclusions about his mental competency. And I'm still capable of understanding what he was trying to say. He has much more substance in what he says. Trump just repeats himself over and over with the same talking points, which is just unsubstantiated claims he uses to bash people and distract from his flaws . And sure Biden does that too (repeating) but not to that same extreme. And I think Trump's vocabulary is pretty limited while to me it is clear Biden has a much larger vocabulary and a deeper understanding of the issues.

Just to be contrary...  Trump' s lack of facial animation could be from botox.  Come on, you know he uses it.  He has that Orange tan stuff sprayed all over him, so I'm sure he uses other stuff to make him look good. 

Biden needs to be more forthcoming about his stuttering or have other people do it for him.  I'd never heard that till I read it here, and I watch the news all the time - NOT FOX.  I watch NBC and HLN (CNN).  

3 hours ago, AngelsSin said:

@olympe

My grandma never stuttered, but she did however mix peoples names up. She had done that for a long time before she developed dementia. 

Gotta say, I've had problems with mixing up people's names since childhood... it wasn't helped by moving as frequently as we did (Dad was career Army). We all thought Mom had dementia in the years before she died. Then in the week before she passed, they reduced some of her meds. Result - she became much more coherent & was once again able to recognize family. 

@Classycal

I've been hearing it a lot lately especially on CNN. I think for a couple weeks now. I'm sure the reason why they've been trying to get it out there is to stop the trash talk concerning his mental capacity when what people are really seeing is in relation to his stuttering issues. I think for someone with that issue he does remarkable well most of the time. It can't be easy for him to keep it straight when he constantly has Trump yelling, etc in his ear while he is trying to talk. I certainly would have a problem keeping what I have to say straight when someone does as Trump does when I talk. They even did a segment on him getting in touch with a young boy who Biden encouraged. Giving the boy hope and pointers about what Biden did to get it under control. Biden used poetry. They showed the boy talking that if Biden could be VP then the boy could too. That was two months ago. The kid spoke at the DNC.

Source: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/teen-stutter-shares-speaking-advice-biden-gave/story?id=72512835

@JaneMcAsh

For my grandma it was family members names. Especially her sons and my brother sometimes me and my mom. She almost never got her sons and my brothers names right.Sometimes medicine helps with it and sometimes it makes it worse. Also they can become more coherent right before they pass. My grandma was hallucinating at the end. And sometimes before that too but a lot more at the end.

Edited by AngelsSin

Now that you mention it, I do remember that video.  

On 10/23/2020 at 11:04 PM, Wizardwoman said:

Sounds to me, like you racist. In MY own estimation. If you not black, you have no idea what go on outside of  your little world in one place all your life. If you white, you have no right to speak FOR blacks

This is... a very bizarre thing to say. Instantly isolating and invalidating all other races on this topic is grounds for you being racist yourself; you strike me as somewhat of a dangerous person.

That's my impression of it, anyway. The whole rest of your post just gets even more bizarre that even I, who knows little about politics, knows is full of incorrect things. You make very bold claims that you can't provide proof of, signalling to me that you have no idea what you're talking about.

On 10/23/2020 at 11:04 PM, Wizardwoman said:

Sounds to me, like you racist. In MY own estimation. If you not black, you have no idea what go on outside of  your little world in one place all your life. If you white, you have no right to speak FOR blacks. Seems to me, Biden, who, by the way, has dimentia, has been in  the government for 50 years. 8 of which he was vice president. What has he EVER done to make a difference? Tell me one accomplishment he has to his credit. You can't. His son's laptop fell into the wrong hands {FBI} and PROVES for a FACT how crooked Biden is. If you haven't heard about that, you need to poke your head out of the cave and see what's going on in the world. Pelosi is already talking about the 25th amendment which as you {don't} know, is competency. Meaning if the President is found incompetent, the vice president becomes the president. So then it would be Harris number one and Pelosi number two. You REALLY want those two as the leaders of the free world? Maybe you do. That's the plan. 

I somehow get the feeling you are not a very genuine person Wizardwoman. How anyone can vote for Trump, who has done nothing in 4 years as president, is puzzling to me.

I am SO over this entire conversation. I didn't join this site to argue with anyone. I know the truth. See for yourself. Go to Hunter Biden's laptop, or something similar. I watch the news, but not the network news. I don't  watch the networks at all. The laptop was taken to a computer repair shop, the guy said it had been flooded. So the tech was working on it, and discovered all this stuff about Biden, and Russia, Biden and China, and videos of Hunter Biden partying down with a bunch of prostitutes and doing cocaine. So the tech turned the laptop over to the FBI. Then the tech called the Washington Post and told them about it, and also posted it on  Facebook. BOTH of them supressed the story! Meanwhile, someone in the FBI turned the laptop over to Rudy Juliani, no doubt a republican agent, knowing Juliani is Trump's personal attorney. Then the crap hit the fan. And now, you know, the REST of the story. I saw this story on multiple media outlets, Mark Zuckerberg  the owner of Facebook, was on TV trying to wiggle out of the whole mess, but he and the WP may be charged. As I said. Stick your head up out of the Cave and see what's going on in the world. I watch, listen, and read about the news and politics EVERY DAY. I know more than "a little" about the campaign. This is my final word. I don't have to prove the truth to anyone. Especially someone who knows "a little" about politics! I won't reply, I won't go on this site again. You people don't know your arse from a hole in the Cave.

Arse- not often used in America. Bye Felicia, you couldn't vote here if you wanted to.

@Wizardwoman

"I know the truth."

That's bold...

"I watch the news, but not the network news."

This means you live in a bubble where you only get pre-selected information that reinforces your belief. And no, belief is not factual knowledge. Belief is something that comes without proof.

By the way, from your postings (severe problems with grammar and orthography) I have the impression that you either are not a native English speaker, or your education was severely lacking. There are some studies that education (or the lack thereof) is strongly linked to belief in conspiracy theories: People with high education are less likely than people with low education to believe in conspiracy theories.

SCNR ^^

Spoiler

I guess there is a reason for this:

Edited by Astreya

4 hours ago, Bigbite said:

Arse- not often used in America. Bye Felicia, you couldn't vote here if you wanted to.

To be fair, I use the term "arse" a lot, and I'm a full-blooded American. I will also note that I'm the only person I know who uses this term, so we are out there, but we are very rare. :) 

Astreya, that clip never gets old. This audio from Howard Stern is also an oldie but goodie.

19 hours ago, Classycal said:

Biden needs to be more forthcoming about his stuttering or have other people do it for him.  I'd never heard that till I read it here, and I watch the news all the time - NOT FOX.  I watch NBC and HLN (CNN).  

There's stuff about his stuttering all over, including the Democratic Convention this year where a little boy was all over the news about Biden helping him deal with it.  If you've never heard about it, I don't know what to say about that.

Well almost time for us to know whether to be relieved or horrified.

Possibly silly question from a first-time voter, is there no set day where we know who won? Just whenever they finish counting? Either way doesn't matter to me, I'm just curious.

generally, in most election years, the winner is known by the next morning.  sometimes things go wacky ("hanging chads" and other strange things happened in the election of 2000).  but this year, i don't know when we'll know - there's SO MANY mail-in ballots from the states.  i know my state (PA) and at least one other can't start counting those until election day morning.  and PA has until friday to count all the votes, as long as they're postmarked election day itself.

trump is INSISTING we know by the end of tuesday, but really, that's not how it works.

We generally tend to know how each state will go by the late night/next morning but like trystan said things can get complicated, especially with the mail in ballots and all the shenanigans that Trump and Republicans are trying to pull. However so many people this election voted early and didn't take a chance on the mailing system. So who knows.

Edited by AngelsSin

they're calling it a red wave, or red herring, or something like that - where by the end of Tuesday and all the polls are closed, it may look like the republicons have won - but people are hoping the mail-ins favor the dems, and by the time the final tally is complete, Biden is the president.

but yes,

2 minutes ago, AngelsSin said:

all the shenanigans that Trump and Republicans are trying to pull.

much shenanigans. *sigh*